Boston Legal on ABC & in syndication - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've seen every episode of The Practice since the last two seasons and every single episode of Boston Legal.

I have to say that the last two episodes have really been lacking. Since Monica's character has been axed and we have these new characters to fill that time, the show is very unorganized. Since they were likely shot way too many months apart and the script was not originally written they way it has been edited, the new characters don't even intermingle with the original characters. It's like they tried to edit an entirely new show (with characters we've never seen before) into a show we all love - ruining it.

It does seem to be much more boring and the characters are getting much more unrelatable. If they dumb this show down for the "general population", I hope it bombs and gets picked up by another network that will give it what it deserves. If this show was on HBO, it would be the best show ever to be put on camera.

Once Mitra's gone, the only character that is in this Practice spin-off that was actually on The Practice will be Spader.

As good as Spader and Shatner are, they aren't good enough to carry this entire show. And these new characters feel more like ER med students than leading roles.

Chet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bowen's assistants are dull. They add nothing.
post #93 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd never seen it before, but because Commander in Chief was the lead in, I saw it and thought that Shatner was hilarious.
post #94 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I think it's better than I thought it might be as a spin-off to begin with. The Shore character, as introduced in the Practice, was fascinating and played wonderfully by Spader. I worried about his moving to this spin-off, but so far, so good. What I don't get is, when they decided to cut the last 5 shows last year, why not just add them to the beginning of this year in total. They could then just edit the final show of the 5 with Candace Bergen et. al. making some "decision" on staffing and explain how Potter and Mitra moved on, etc. That would have left the 5 shows as cohesive entities, less mish-mash editing for 5 shows and only effect 1, the last of last season which would then more logically lead into this season. It would also provide additional episodes to reduce repeats and long 3-4 week absences that usually occur mid-season in the middle of a good story.

The PQ here was excellent as was the sound. I concur with the doubts about Locklear. By the way, not to go off-topic, but as the post above references Commander-In-Chief (which I like A LOT) - did anyone else notice the apparent softening of Gena Davis' face in the limo ride scene? It was normal in the other scenes - but almost looked like she saw the first edits and realized HDTV was doing her skin no favors in that scene and it really looked artificially softened/edited to me. Just curious.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #95 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

By the way, not to go off-topic, but as the post above references Commander-In-Chief (which I like A LOT) - did anyone else notice the apparent softening of Gena Davis' face in the limo ride scene? It was normal in the other scenes - but almost looked like she saw the first edits and realized HDTV was doing her skin no favors in that scene and it really looked artificially softened/edited to me. Just curious.

I noticed that, her skin was so smooth it seemed unreal or fake. I also don't recall her speaking as if her jaw was wired shut as it seemed last night, weird...

As far as BL, I can't wait until we get to the new episodes as these cobbled together jobs are terrible, and Bowen and her crew can disappear forever as far as I'm concerned, completely uninteresting and unnecessary.
post #96 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

"Why are we here?" Great closing argument from james Spader at the end. He has really developed Alan Shore well on this show. When the series began, I thought he was a dud - very pompus and not too deep. But since this season bagn, he has become quite dimensional.

I agree he's a good actor, but give some credit to the writers. Spader isn't the only one "developing" the character.

That said, apart from Alan Shore's closing argument, I found this episode to be annoyingly predictable and too "clever" for itself. There are just too many wise-cracking smartasses (Spader, Shatner, Bergen, White, Locklear, and that English guy, whatever his name is), and not enough "straight" characters on the show now.

Here's hoping that, once they get through the transition from last season's leftovers, this will subside, and we can watch Shore and Crane do their thing opposite the rest of the cast, like it was in the beginning.

Did I mention I can't stand Candice Bergen?
post #97 of 987 Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 PM

I have always had a thing for Monica Potter....but I've had thing for Julie Bowen and Heather Locklear too.

However, this is looks like a T J Hooker remake with Shattner and Locklear together.

Oh the agony.....

I still don't watch the show however.

Such is life.
post #98 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

What have they done to my favorite show?

Two episodes and Alan hasn't really done anything unethical. The only really good parts have been Alan's closing and the scenes with just Alan and Denny.

And if we never see Judge Mass-a-chew-setts again it will be way too soon.

I too will miss Tara.
post #99 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

What's with "Goober"? He has a funny way with his mouth when he talks. Odd, huh?

nc
post #100 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 AM

I think show will get better when someone other than Candace Bergen gets to interact with Julie Bowen (and for more than 10 second snippits). What a hack job these first few have been. Unbelievably clear that there are two completely separate story arcs going on that flow together terribly.

Then again, I think I have mad cow disease.
post #101 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwesson View Post

I think show will get better when someone other than Candace Bergen gets to interact with Julie Bowen (and for more than 10 second snippits). What a hack job these first few have been. Unbelievably clear that there are two completely separate story arcs going on that flow together terribly.

Then again, I think I have mad cow disease.

Hopefully, I don't recall how many were left from last season, I think it was 7, so 5 more hack-jobs maybe?
post #102 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Hopefully, I don't recall how many were left from last season, I think it was 7, so 5 more hack-jobs maybe?

I thought it was only 4 episodes of last season that got caught out in limbo. So I would think only 2 more?...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #103 of 987 Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

According to TV.com, there were 17 eps aired the first season, the last one on 3/20/05. For season two they have the 4th ep titled "In Closing", I'm guessing that this may have been the original end of the first season, that would have been 22 eps which sounds about right. So maybe only 2 more eps until the "new" season starts..?

Pretty sure Fred has this info in his "memory banks" somewhere..
post #104 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Shark jumping.

Edwin Starr-like performance in a club? Is this "Ally McBeal"? Kelley just can't give it up. This show now has a musical heart? Where's Vonda?

Then repeat the performance in court? Come on!!

I'm finding all of this courtroom-centric stuff and playing lawyer growing very tedious and boring. I'm finding Betty White and Bernie very tedious and boring. I'm finding Candice Bergen very tedious and boring.

And hey... where is Rene? Did he disappear? He's still in the credits, but MIA. And what 1-second spot did Monica Potter have this week to justify her "special appearance" billing?

Rupert Everett and Rhona Mitra? Come on!!

Alan Shore's continued insult barrage at the judge? Come on!

Denny Crane's progressively more and more grating and insipid Denny Cranisms? Come on! They're not amusing any longer. They're just tedious and boring.

And the associate lawyer traps the opposition priest-lawyer with sexual advances? This is writing? Come on!

Where is "Hill Street Blues" when we need it? When will "The Wire" return? Where is "Huff" when we need him?

Heard that "Weeds" has been picked up for a second season of 10 episodes. Good news.

Had to replay the "no bowel cancer for you" line from "Extras" this week. Couldn't stop laughing.

If "Boston Legal" continues to go farcical and McBeal-like, it will be history on my DVR. Very disappointing.
post #105 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Edwin Starr-like performance in a club? Is this "Ally McBeal"? Kelley just can't give it up. This show now has a musical heart? Where's Vonda?

Now how did you ever miss the opportunity to insert "Good God, y'all" at this point in your post?
post #106 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When will "The Wire" return? Where is "Huff" when we need him?

Heard that "Weeds" has been picked up for a second season of 10 episodes. Good news.

That's great news about "Weeds". "The Wire" and "Huff" both return sometime in 2006...all three are very good TV.
post #107 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Shark jumping.

I'm finding all of this courtroom-centric stuff and playing lawyer growing very tedious and boring. I'm finding Betty White and Bernie very tedious and boring. I'm finding Candice Bergen very tedious and boring.

And hey... where is Rene? Did he disappear? He's still in the credits, but MIA. And what 1-second spot did Monica Potter have this week to justify her "special appearance" billing?

Rupert Everett and Rhona Mitra? Come on!!

Alan Shore's continued insult barrage at the judge? Come on!

Denny Crane's progressively more and more grating and insipid Denny Cranisms? Come on! They're not amusing any longer. They're just tedious and boring.

And the associate lawyer traps the opposition priest-lawyer with sexual advances? This is writing? Come on!

Where is "Hill Street Blues" when we need it? When will "The Wire" return? Where is "Huff" when we need him?

Had to replay the "no bowel cancer for you" line from "Extras" this week. Couldn't stop laughing.

If "Boston Legal" continues to go farcical and McBeal-like, it will be history on my DVR. Very disappointing.

LOl, that's exactly what I said when the show opened up in that night club. "Ally McBeal" was off my tongue in a matter of seconds. You're exactly right!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #108 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Was it on Ally McBeal where they went to California for a case and the judge was the same guy (or a similar guy) that pronounced (with contempt) mass-a-CHEW-sits ???

It seems very familiar, but not sure if it was McBeal or the Practice....
post #109 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's great news about "Weeds".

This insider info from the gardener-guy who keeps my house plants alive, who also works for the owner of Guess Jeans, who had a dinner party at which my gardener-guy was seated next to someone who turned out to be a producer on "Weeds", who provided the tidbit about renewal for 10 more episodes.

I hope it's true. I love Mary-Louise Parker, Elizabeth Perkins, Kevin Nealon, and all the other incidental family members and Agrestic inhabitants. Overall I think the casting is terrific. I feel that the "Meghan" character is performed beautifully. And now that we've seen her dad and family a bit, I enjoy them too. The whole dope dealer home and character group, the competitive drug dealer and his attraction to Nancy (and decision to "protect" her, for sentimental reasons), these are all very rich and satisfying arcs.

Great show. Fabulous HD picture quality and sound. Intimate reality and real people and real situations and real dialog. Reminds me of "Huff" in that way.

This stuff could never be done on network TV. I'm glad there's pay-TV as an optional outlet for this type of adult drama/comedy.
post #110 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Guess you can't have a "Weeds" dinner party without inviting the gardner.
post #111 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Was it on Ally McBeal where they went to California for a case and the judge was the same guy (or a similar guy) that pronounced (with contempt) mass-a-CHEW-sits ???

It seems very familiar, but not sure if it was McBeal or the Practice....

It was The Practice.
post #112 of 987 Old 10-08-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not to belabor my dissatisfaction with the episodes already aired from the current season, but...

Most Undeserved Promotion To Main Character and Billing: Mark Valley who plays Brad Chase. This guy was uninteresting and uncharismatic last year, and he remains unexciting. His character was created as the arch-enemy of Alan Shore, especially when it came to competition for the female of the species. As such, he's better off silent (and so are we). Giving him major speaking assignments just points out his lack of excitement and charisma.

Most Unnecessary Retention of Characters and Development of Associated Story Arc: Betty White (Catherine Piper) and Leslie Jordan (Bernie). What are these two still doing in the show????? If you wanted to retool and improve things, write these two out... and now!

Most Grating and Irritating New Character(s): Julie Bowen and her two junior associates. A personal divorce storyline?? That's the best they could come up with to let her and her crew have something to say and do? I especially don't like to see either of the junior associates on the screen. Very badly drawn characters, badly cast, amateurishly performed, and comes across as forced "filler".

Also, Candice Bergen does not look good. Something's changed... maybe they reshot some new footage to insert into the old episodes, and she's 6 months older. But she does not look good, they're not dressing her well or doing stunning makeup or hair, they're not giving her really sniping things to say like they used to, and it's unfortunate her character is now one of the "big 3".

"Karen Sisco" redux. Unless the true new-season episodes show a marked improvement over what we've seen them do so far, I fear these reworked 4 episodes from last season now being used as transitional speak portents of doom for this once-great show.
post #113 of 987 Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Last night's ratings show clearly why ABC moved "Grey's Anatomy" into the Sunday night at 10 PM ET/PT time slot:

(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Monday, October 10, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

Desperate Housewives led into Sunday runner-up Grey's Anatomy, with a 12.9/20 in the overnights, 18.45 million viewers and an 8.2/19 among adults 18-49 at 10 p.m. Although retention for Grey's Anatomy out of Housewives was just 74 percent in the overnights, 72 percent in total viewers and 75 percent among adults 18-49, this is still a marked improvement over former time period occupant Boston Legal
post #114 of 987 Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"It keeps the bad dreams away." Classic Shatner.
post #115 of 987 Old 10-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, that explains why i havnt had a bad dream in years. Good show tonight.
post #116 of 987 Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Spader and Shatner were great tonight, the rest of it I could have easily done without, maybe in the future there will be an technology option to select just their performances..

"Did you say, Klingons?"
post #117 of 987 Old 10-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Great show! LOved the Klingon reference.

I also picked up the Brad Chase comment about "knitting afghans in prison"...ala Martha Stewart.

One thing that I thought was completely unncessary was the whole thing with the priest/minister. Was it really right to even do this? I don't think it was entertaining at all to show a man of the cloth sexually lusting after a young, black, female lawyer. Come on, guys, can't we go elsewhere here?

Music and PQ were awesome.

nc
post #118 of 987 Old 10-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Did anyone notice, particularly towards the end, that when the bumper music came in to transition scenes or in/out of commercial a delay in the surround speakers?

I didn't notice it everytime, but there were at least two instances where I could hear the surrounds delayed from the rest of the speakers by almost 2 seconds (a ridiculous amount of time of delay) during the bumper music.
post #119 of 987 Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Did ya get the one where Shatner is in bed and, um, passes gas?

nc
post #120 of 987 Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

Did anyone notice, particularly towards the end, that when the bumper music came in to transition scenes or in/out of commercial a delay in the surround speakers?

I didn't notice it everytime, but there were at least two instances where I could hear the surrounds delayed from the rest of the speakers by almost 2 seconds (a ridiculous amount of time of delay) during the bumper music.

I can confirm that I did hear this as well. It must have been on the master or from the network. I'm in Houston.

Also, the scene where Candice was giving advice to Betty was really really soft. It almost looked like they focused the camera somewhere between two ladies sitting on the bench, but as I looked closer, it appears to have been softened in post. Perhaps a last minute change due to the "Candice not looking so good" comments earlier in this thread?

Chet
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page