Arrested Development - Creator Hurwitz says "NO" to Showtime. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 301 Old 10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
Great DVD sales do not renew a TV Show.
As zappa mentioned, they did with Family Guy.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 301 Old 10-13-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
The 2-hour Prison Break "event" is scheduled for October 24, which is during the World Series (on a day off between games 2 and 3). I'm guessing AD will be back when baseball is truly done.
It returns on November 7th. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...=20051012fox01
post #93 of 301 Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy
As zappa mentioned, they did with Family Guy.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html
Please learn what editorial means.

Strong ratings in the reruns (which is mentioned) were the only factor. DVD sales had no influence.
post #94 of 301 Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbull
Cause advertisers don't want to know how many boxes are tuned to a show, they want to know how many people are actually watching a show. Big difference, especially with DVR's changing the channels like crazy. But that is what the ratings are supposed to be. Whether or not they are is a whole 'nother question.
Knowing how many boxes are tuned into a show will get them closer to knowing how many people watch that the current diary system. There are two reasons for this:

1) The sample size can be much bigger.

2) Diaries can be inaccurate.
post #95 of 301 Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Better would be tracking shows that were actually played from the "Now Playing" list. Otherwise, I have to lecture my wife about leaving the bedroom Tivo tuned to our local weather-plus subchannel that she briefly checks before going to sleep.
post #96 of 301 Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please learn what editorial means.

Strong ratings in the reruns (which is mentioned) were the only factor. DVD sales had no influence.
Well, according to the show's creator, Seth MacFarlane, it was a combination of the two.

MacFarlane Interviews - Watch "Sales and screenings"

Maybe you have some other inside info that's not public knowledge.

Back on topic: Whether or not this could happen with Arrested Development or not is up in the air. I'm sure that recreating the sets for a live show would be much more work than just setting up some drawing tables for some artists.

We still don't even have confirmation that it is on the chopping block. I'm not sure of the best place to find DVD sales info, but according to the DVD sets' "Amazon Sales Ranks", they are both selling quite well (season 2 is the #4 best selling DVD, season 1 is #29). Maybe Fox will keep it around, just so they can keep selling DVDs.
post #97 of 301 Old 10-15-2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy
Well, according to the show's creator, Seth MacFarlane, it was a combination of the two.

We still don't even have confirmation that it is on the chopping block. I'm not sure of the best place to find DVD sales info, but according to the DVD sets' "Amazon Sales Ranks", they are both selling quite well (season 2 is the #4 best selling DVD, season 1 is #29). Maybe Fox will keep it around, just so they can keep selling DVDs.

Creative people have such business savy - always looking at the world through their rose colored glasses :cool:

ABC and Disney tried this route at the expense of ratings and lost Billions (with a B) in Revenue in the late 90s and earlier this decade.

All the Family Guy DVD sales in the world will not equal what FOX can make off good ratings and they will not put a show on just to sale DVDs.
post #98 of 301 Old 10-15-2005, 06:02 AM

im watching it and still love it. Enjoyed charlize theron in the episodes.
post #99 of 301 Old 10-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Creative people have such business savy - always looking at the world through their rose colored glasses :cool:

ABC and Disney tried this route at the expense of ratings and lost Billions (with a B) in Revenue in the late 90s and earlier this decade.

All the Family Guy DVD sales in the world will not equal what FOX can make off good ratings and they will not put a show on just to sale DVDs.
I'm sorry, but you aren't talking about such creative classics as "Boy Meets World", "Family Matters", etc. are you? If anything, ABC puts forth the LEAST amount of effort when it comes to creative shows that go against the grain. NBC tried and failed with "Boomtown" and "Freaks and Geeks" and FOX tries and cancels shows like its no one's business (Wonderfalls, Undeclared, Firefly, Family Guy, Futurama, et al.).

Family Guy came back for two reasons. One was strong DVD sales, which is actually a HUGE market and two was the ratings it got in syndication on Adult Swim. Discounting DVD sales and syndication is ridiculous. Whatever show would replace AD isn't gaurenteed to be a ratings hit. Nor is it likely it would provide ANY profit on the backend (you'll get the advertising revenue, but nothing in syndication or DVD sales).

AD has far more appeal than FG. For one, it gets FOX critical acclaim that its sorely lacking. Its also produced by those responsible for 24, which along with AI is about FOX's only ratings hit at the moment (smarter not to make them mad eh?). Its DVD sales will be, over time, equally strong if not stronger than Family Guy and it would certainly draw Family Guyesque numbers in an Adult Swim like timeslot in syndication.
post #100 of 301 Old 10-16-2005, 11:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From USA Today 11/18/2003)

'Family Guy' may return
By Gary Levin USA TODAY

Baby Stewie could be staging a comeback.

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

Family Guy premiered with a big audience — 22 million viewers — and some controversy after Fox's 1999 Super Bowl telecast. In the pilot episode, Stewie, a talking toddler with a clipped British accent, was openly contemptuous of his loutish dad and bent on killing his sweet-natured mother in a quest for world domination.

Creator Seth MacFarlane, then 24, wrote scripts, drew characters, provided voices and infused the show with rapid-fire sight gags, a nod to The Simpsons. But ratings faded, and the show ended with a whimper early last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...mily-guy_x.htm
post #101 of 301 Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

(From USA Today 3/24/2004)
'Family Guy' un-canceled, thanks to DVD sales success

By Gary Levin USA TODAY

Stewie lives!

Family Guy, the outrageous Fox cartoon that was canceled two years ago, will resume production next month with 35 new episodes to premiere early next year on Cartoon Network and possibly on Fox.

It marks the first time a canceled show has been resurrected based on DVD sales. The first volume, which sold 1.6 million, was last year's top-selling TV DVD; a second volume sold another million copies. And those 50 reruns are the biggest draw on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block of late-night programming, with 1.9 million viewers.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...mily-guy_x.htm
post #102 of 301 Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

(From The Christian Science Monitor 4/22/2005)
Cult fans bring 'The Family Guy' back to TV

By Gloria Goodale Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

LOS ANGELES – Jay Wilke is among the millions of fans of "Family Guy" who latched on to the animated TV sitcom long after the show had been canceled. "It is simply the funniest show," says Mr. Wilkes, an event planner from Tampa, Fla., who discovered "Family Guy" on DVD and has since signed an online petition to bring the show back to Fox. "I laughed so hard that I literally cried, and I haven't done that in years."

The wildly sophomoric mix of politically incorrect toilet humor and social satire, axed in 2002 after three seasons, became such a hit upon its DVD release that the TV network is doing the unthinkable: Bringing the show back for 35 new episodes.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0422/p12s01-altv.html
post #103 of 301 Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628
I think what would really really help this show, is like people have pointed out, the dvd's I just picked up the second season today and will be watching them by the next new episode, I made a pact with some of my friends I would not watch season 2 at all, because we were still working on season 1 at that point. BUt also I would have no idea whats going on. My suggestion to Fox is release the DVD a month before the new season starts so everyone can catch up, why wait until 3-4 weeks in, I think that is why people dont watch it, because they need caught up. I think thats why LOst is so popular, you could come on halfway through and still feel somewhat like you knew what was going on with all the recaps.
I agree....I love the show and have been with it since the beginning, but a friend is DVR'ing season 3 until he can watch season 2 on DVD. Fox blew it a little by not having the season 2 DVDs on sale BEFORE season 3 was aired.
post #104 of 301 Old 10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

DVDs help keep “Arrested Development†on the air

By Maureen Ryan Chicago Tribune staff reporter October 23, 2005

The conventional wisdom says Fox's Emmy-winning comedy "Arrested Development" is a cult success but a commercial failure.

The conventional wisdom may well be wrong.

The critically acclaimed show, which returns from Fox's baseball break with two episodes featuring guest star Charlize Theron on Nov. 7, is indeed ratings challenged, but it's surprisingly dominant in another arena.

Fox won't release sales totals, but executives at the company's home-video division say the first two seasons of "Arrested," which chronicles the lives of the dysfunctional Bluth family, have sold very well on DVD.

"There's a lot of awareness of the series" thanks to extensive media coverage of the show, says Steven Feldstein, senior vice president of Fox Home Entertainment, which released Season 2 Oct. 11.

"There are a lot of people who maybe haven't sampled it yet and have the opportunity to do so on DVD; that's in addition to . . . the show's die-hard fans."

Season 2 of the show has spent much of the past week at the top of Amazon.com's boxed-set best-sellers chart, and that kind of commercial success, along with critical praise, industry awards and a supportive Internet fan base, has helped keep the show alive.

"Arrested" creator Mitchell Hurwitz says he doesn't think the show will end up producing the entire run of 22 third-season episodes (Fox cut the show's second season order from 22 episodes to 18), but he says he thinks Fox will keep the comedy in production long enough to make a Season 3 DVD boxed set worthwhile.

"It won't be 22," Hurwitz said. "It might be a good number" so that Fox can release the third season on DVD. "If they know they can sell those DVDs, they might keep it on the air long enough to have enough to sell it [that way]."

Strong DVD sales alone would not keep the show alive, though it's one of many factors in "Arrested's" favor, according to Craig Erwich, executive vice president of programming at the Fox network. "At the end of the day, networks have to sustain themselves with revenue that comes from ratings," Erwich said. "That's not to say other revenue streams don't factor in."

DVD sales, though they are a boon for the company as a whole, mainly function for broadcast executives as an indicator of "the kind of vitality the show has," Erwich said. "Strong DVD sales tell us what we know -- that `Arrested Development' is a great show and people love it. The other benefit is that sometimes DVDs are a good way to bring in new viewers."

Fox has had record-setting success with its DVD releases of "The Simpsons," "The X-Files" and "Family Guy" -- in fact, "Family Guy's" DVD releases were so successful that it was put back into production. And the potential for other revenue has been expanded again, now that Apple's iTunes is offering TV shows for sale.

"In the TV market, there might be a little bit of change," Hurwitz said. "Maybe you used to need an 11 [ratings] share to stay on the air, but maybe now you can have a smaller number, but make up for it with people who purchase the show."

"Ours has always been a country of niche audiences," says Jimmy Schaeffler, senior research analyst for the media consulting firm The Carmel Group. "What developments like these point out is that large media companies are not only starting to realize that fact, but they are making it a part of their business plans. . . . In the new telecom and media business, there are lots of ways to make money."

Passionate fans are an important part of that new equation, and "Arrested" has very loyal viewers. They flooded Fox and media outlets with fake bananas (the Bluth family owns a banana stand) and letters asking the network to bring the show back for a third year, and they're poised to spring into action again.

"If the show is put on hiatus, we would obviously flood Fox with letters again . . . pleading with them to bring the show back, pointing out the potential for future DVD sales, syndication rights, etc.," says Katherine McKee of SaveOurBluths.com. "We might also include a campaign to other networks such as NBC and HBO."

The question now for "Arrested" fans is how many episodes they'll get to see on the air this season. Some media insiders have floated the idea that Fox could move its struggling Monday sitcoms, "Arrested" and "Kitchen Confidential," to Fridays, but Erwich said that's unlikely. And what will happen to "Arrested Development" once "American Idol" churns up Fox's schedule in January is anybody's guess.

Still, though Hurwitz said he greatly appreciates the critical and fan support for "Arrested Development," he says it's not time for a save-our-show campaign -- yet.

"I really believe everyone at Fox desperately wants the show to succeed and is tremendously dedicated to that goal," Hurwitz said. "I hope they've come to see the show as a loss leader, not a negative to the network, but a different kind of positive."
post #105 of 301 Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Speaking of the AD DVDs, did anybody catch the hidden plug in last night's second episode? When George Sr. was in his room, searching "InfoMole.com" for jetpants, there was a paid advertisement link in the bottom right hand corner of the web page he was reading that read: "Watch Arrested Development. All good people watch the best show on TV. Buy the DVDs and merchandise. www.ArrestedDevelopment.com." Good stuff.
post #106 of 301 Old 11-08-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

This show is getting less laughs from me as they go on :(
post #107 of 301 Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

“Arrested Development’s†Ratings this season:

Week One
4.62 million viewers
Week Two
4.02 million viewers
Week Three
4.47 million viewers
Week Four-Six
Pre-empted
Week Seven
4.12 million viewers (5th place in viewers, 5th in 18-49 and 5th in 25-54)
post #108 of 301 Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I'm not a big fan of the Charlize Theron storyline, but the giant mole vs. jet pack scene was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #109 of 301 Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree, the manner in which the writers put together the various components of the story that resulted in the 'insulting' battle viewed by the Japanese investors was hilarious!
post #110 of 301 Old 11-09-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After the first half hour's episode, I was somewhat relieved that there was finally a sub-par episode...Something I could look back upon should it get canceled...but the second episode was incredible! Back to feeling sorry for myself in advance.
post #111 of 301 Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Here is the season-to-date ranking for "AD" (among 136 network prime-time programs through Sunday, Nov. 6)

## - Program - Viewers (in millions)
93 7TH HEAVEN 5.13
94 COPS 5.06
95 AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL 5 4.97
96 SUPERNATURAL 4.83
97 KILLER INSTINCT 4.61
98 NBC SATURDAY NIGHT MOVIES 4.55
99 ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT 4.32
100 CHARMED - 4.13
101 DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES-SAT 4.12
102 KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL 4.03
103 WWE SMACKDOWN 3.93
104 REUNION 3.92
105 EVERWOOD 3.87
post #112 of 301 Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

This week's episodes were much better than the previous few. The Godzilla thing was just awesome.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #113 of 301 Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
but the giant mole vs. jet pack scene was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages
Agreed. That scene, along with the Spicy Curry Award from The Office this season, are the two biggest LOL moments of the tv season for me. Classic.
post #114 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is real trouble now.

After a poor ratings performance this week, Fox has pulled "Arrested Development" for the rest of the November sweep.
post #115 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Broadcasting & Cable is now reporting that Fox has cut its order for "Arrested Development" from 22 to 13 episodes.

The show is being shelved for the rest of the November sweep, and will return to "finish its run" in December, according to B&C.

Repeats of "Prison Break" will fill the 8-9 ET/PT hours in November ("Kitchen Confidential" is also, according to B&C, being pulled).

In January, "House" will take over at 8 PM ET/PT on Mondays.
post #116 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TVguide.com says the same thing... Variety is reporting that Fox has cut back its episode order for the Emmy-winning yet ratings-anemic Arrested Development, has advised Kitchen Confidential execs that the freshman series will not be picked up for a full season, and — here comes the salt — is pulling both shows from the schedule for at least the remainder of November sweeps. Fox will air Prison Break repeats in the 8 pm/ET Monday slot for the time being, unless, that is, Jason Bateman gives up Fibonacci.

ugh, i hope they dont shelve it forever.
post #117 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #118 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 06:24 PM

They did this last May (cutting the order and not airing it during sweeps) so that their Emmy-winning darling doesn't look bad during sweeps. Fox renewed this series in June without much expectation that the ratings would be any better this year. I'm still confident that they'll stick with it for all the other reasons mentioned in this thread. We'll just have to accept being second-class citizens since our show doesn't make them any money during sweeps. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway....
post #119 of 301 Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM

They also recently shut down production after Jason Bateman had surgery and needed time to recover. It was only for a few weeks, but could that have something to do with the order cutback?

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/a...ry-1005675.php
post #120 of 301 Old 11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, the ratings are to blame. They are far enough ahead of schedule that they easily could have continued production without missing a beat on the air.

But with the success of some of the other Fox shows this fall, (and the return of "American Idol" and "24" in early January) there just isn't enough room for "Arrested Development" on the schedule if it is going to be a ratings anchor.

In addition, February will be a tough sweep as Fox (and everyone else) tries to schedule against the Winter Olympics on NBC.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page