Arrested Development - Creator Hurwitz says "NO" to Showtime. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 301 Old 12-12-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Since Jim Tressel has been coaching, hasn't that game against the School Up North getting a bit too easy lately, Posty? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 301 Old 12-12-2005, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
was that season 1 episode shown at 8.30 today in HD? If so, wasnt this originally shown in fox widescreen 480p?
post #183 of 301 Old 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2
was that season 1 episode shown at 8.30 today in HD? If so, wasnt this originally shown in fox widescreen 480p?
It look like widescreen 480p upconverted to 720p. Very soft.
post #184 of 301 Old 12-13-2005, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Since Jim Tressel has been coaching, hasn't that game against the School Up North getting a bit too easy lately, Posty? :)
This win was just right...and the Notre Dame match-up is a suitable reward. But I'm not a true Buckeye. I don't really hate Michigan but the winter is a touch colder when we lose to them. As for AD I need to rewatch this one because I missed a chunk. Last week was redemptive for the British story arc (why was Dave Thomas so hard to watch? was it just the accent?) and had some classic AD lines especially at the end.

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #185 of 301 Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty-McPost
We won!

Your taking all the fun out of it.

I want to hear a Michigan fan say the Buckeyes won.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #186 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 AM

There are stories in Variety and in the Hollywood Reporter that ABC and Showtime are considering picking up AD.

Here is the Hollywood Reporter story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051214/tv_nm/arrested_dc_1

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Will the pay-TV environs of Showtime be a friendlier place for the Emmy-winning comedy "Arrested Development," which just got canceled by Fox?

Word around town this week is that Showtime is in talks to pick up the comedy about a chaotic family. Sources stressed that the talks are still exploratory and that it would be a big financial commitment on Showtime's part to pick up the show in its current form with a large ensemble cast that includes Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Portia de Rossi, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett.

"Arrested" was an instant hit with critics following its debut on Fox in late 2003, but the show never pulled in much of a crowd, even after it won the Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. Last month, Fox threw in the towel, cutting its episode order for "Arrested's" third season from its initial 22-episode ticket to 13.

Representatives for Showtime, and the series' producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV declined comment late Tuesday.

And, the Variety article is here (you may have to sit through an ad to read it):
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...8&cs=1&s=h&p=0
post #187 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 AM

wow, that would be awesome!
post #188 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

plus they wouldn't have to bleep anything
post #189 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

But the bleeps are part of the joke. Sort of like the blur on Buster's stump.

It's interesting seeing what's censored though. Watching some of the first season on DVD I noticed that the kid (who was an Association magician) told GOB to F' off (definately funnier uncensored). In a later episode when the siblings are making fun of Mom, Buster joining in is still entirely bleeped out (definately funnier censored). I also noticed the Kitty implant joke that I didn't notice when it was first broadcast (though that may have been before I got HDTV).
post #190 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

doesn't a move to showtime practically guarentee AD will always have a cult following and nothing more? i just see that move making the already small audience even more intimate. i rather see it move to an ABC and let them push the show way better than Fox ever could.
post #191 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM

ABC has a bunch comedy crap on right now, they could easily replace one of those shows with AD
post #192 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Showtime picking it up would guarantee a subscription from me. Hopefully someone picks it up.
post #193 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid
doesn't a move to showtime practically guarentee AD will always have a cult following and nothing more? i just see that move making the already small audience even more intimate. i rather see it move to an ABC and let them push the show way better than Fox ever could.
Fox did a decent job of promoting the show - and it still never grew beyond a cult following. I'd much rather see it on a premium channel where the pressure for a mass audience isn't always threatening cancellation. A solid cult following on Showtime would be enough to keep it going.

I do agree with the "censoring is funnier" opinion for many of the AD shows however.
post #194 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am not saying it won't happen, but it isn't all that easy to just "switch" the program to Showtime.

Every producer's contract would need to be rewritten -- and pay slashed.

Every actor's contract would need to be rewritten -- and pay slashed.

The economics of a program for the networks and for Showtime are vastly different.

In a universae of virtually 100% of all TV homes, "Arrested Devlopment" manages to get (on average this year, throughlast week) 4.25 million to watch. That ranks 99th out of 135 shows -- and behind a handful of WB and UPN shows.

Now put that same show (probably with a smaller cast) onto Showtime with its vastly limited potential audience...the numbers could be very, very scary.

It could happen: Showtime is desperate to get some traction. But if, say a third of the Fox "AD" viewers made the trek over to Showtime, those numbers would be pretty mediocre -- and about a third of what "Sex In The City" did on HBO.
post #195 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would actually sign up for Showtime if AD moved.

Wow, I can't believe I actually think that.
post #196 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I am not saying it won't happen, but it isn't all that easy to just "switch" the program to Showtime.

Every producer's contract would need to be rewritten -- and pay slashed.

Every actor's contract would need to be rewritten -- and pay slashed.

The economics of a program for the networks and for Showtime are vastly different.
I'm not sure how you figure that pay slashes would come. If anything, shows developed for Showtime, HBO, etc. are given a much larger budget than anything on FOX. The reason reality TV is so big on network TV is because its so cheap. AD would likely keep its $1.5 million an episode budget.

Quote:
In a universae of virtually 100% of all TV homes, "Arrested Devlopment" manages to get (on average this year, throughlast week) 4.25 million to watch. That ranks 99th out of 135 shows -- and behind a handful of WB and UPN shows.

Now put that same show (probably with a smaller cast) onto Showtime with its vastly limited potential audience...the numbers could be very, very scary.
With absolutely no advertising. The huge disparity between 'AD' DVD sales and the Nielson numbers are something that show you why its such a better fit under the Showtime/HBO economic model. I think its safe to say, at this point, those 4.25 million viewers are all pretty diehard fans. When you throw in repeat viewings and On Demand that Showtime allows (at absotely no additional cost to them) you also have to think that it has a large potential to pick up new viewers.

Quote:
It could happen: Showtime is desperate to get some traction. But if, say a third of the Fox "AD" viewers made the trek over to Showtime, those numbers would be pretty mediocre -- and about a third of what "Sex In The City" did on HBO.
I think you totally miss the point. Ratings don't matter on Showtime. Because its subscription based, if 1/3 of FOX's viewers go along with 'AD' then that's over 1 million new subscriber's for one show. Let's say they do a 12 episode season at 1.5 million an episode. That's $18 million a season or $1.5 million a month per fiscal year. Not even taking into account the revenue that DVD sales generate and the Emmy attention that Showtime is desperate for, Showtime would make a killing by bringing along just 1 million AD fans on their subscription costs alone.

Also you have to consider how AD would help Weeds gather a bigger audience and all the free publicity that Showtime would receive.
post #197 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Showtime canceled Dead Like Me and Odyssey 5(when it was their highest rated show) for no reason... If AD moves to Showtime, there's no guarantee it'll be on for very long.
post #198 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
i rather see it move to an ABC and let them push the show way better than Fox ever could.
If the show couldn't attract an audience to meet even Fox's modest ratings expectations, it wouldn't last a week on the "Already Been Cancelled" network.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #199 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

they could cut everyone for all I care (ok not really), but the key to AD for me is ron howard's witty narration... without that, there is no AD

edit: so what i'm saying is, no matter which network picks up AD, must keep ron howard. he's the voice of reason in a show full of chaos.
post #200 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadum215
I'm not sure how you figure that pay slashes would come. If anything, shows developed for Showtime, HBO, etc. are given a much larger budget than anything on FOX. The reason reality TV is so big on network TV is because its so cheap. AD would likely keep its $1.5 million an episode budget.

With absolutely no advertising. The huge disparity between 'AD' DVD sales and the Nielson numbers are something that show you why its such a better fit under the Showtime/HBO economic model. I think its safe to say, at this point, those 4.25 million viewers are all pretty diehard fans. When you throw in repeat viewings and On Demand that Showtime allows (at absotely no additional cost to them) you also have to think that it has a large potential to pick up new viewers.

I think you totally miss the point. Ratings don't matter on Showtime. Because its subscription based, if 1/3 of FOX's viewers go along with 'AD' then that's over 1 million new subscriber's for one show. Let's say they do a 12 episode season at 1.5 million an episode. That's $18 million a season or $1.5 million a month per fiscal year. Not even taking into account the revenue that DVD sales generate and the Emmy attention that Showtime is desperate for, Showtime would make a killing by bringing along just 1 million AD fans on their subscription costs alone.

Also you have to consider how AD would help Weeds gather a bigger audience and all the free publicity that Showtime would receive.

There are so many mistatements of fact here that I have no idea where to begin.

But let's just menton a few: "AD" has been getting all that "free publicity" from virtually every critic around the country (and I know, I read those critics) for three seasons.

Many of them wrote, in the wake of the cancallation, that it is obvious Americans checked the show out at one time or another, and simply decided they didn't like it.

Personally, I know the disappointment "AD" fans feel -- each year at least one or two shows I really like gets axed. But this whole caterwauling of "Americans are stupid" and "Fox didn't give it a chance" etc, is pretty comical. Fox opent tens of millions of dollars trying desperately to make "AD" work. It renewed it twice when the numbers didn't comerclose to renewal standards -- even on Fox. This season, it sacrificed another good comedy "Kitchen Confidential" by putting it after "AD": trying to build a comedy block.

Showtime may well pick it up -- but that speaks more to Showtime's desperation than to any creativity. It would be a somewhat quick fix for a network which has seen virtually all of its recnt series ("Weeds", "Sleeper Cell", Fat Actress", etc) do horribly in the ratings.

Even thoughShowtime has just renewed "Weeds" for season two, the ratings ended up trending solidly downward week by week from the opening episode.

By the way, unless the contract is totally rewritten, Showtime would not share in any DVD profits. And there is little incentive for the producers (20th TV and Imagine) to cut Showtime in on the DVD profits when they now keep all for themselves.
post #201 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
There are so many mistatements of fact here that I have no idea where to begin.

But let's just menton a few: "AD" has been getting all that "free publicity" from virtually every critic around the country (and I know, I read those critics) for three seasons.
Yeah well Zap2it.com and TVGuide blurbs are nice, but advertising is non-existant. Hurwitz disclosed in an interview that FOX dedicates almost the entire budget of the show to production. What little advertising there has been has been very poor.

Quote:
Many of them wrote, in the wake of the cancallation, that it is obvious Americans checked the show out at one time or another, and simply decided they didn't like it.

Personally, I know the disappointment "AD" fans feel -- each year at least one or two shows I really like gets axed. But this whole caterwauling of "Americans are stupid" and "Fox didn't give it a chance" etc, is pretty comical. Fox opent tens of millions of dollars trying desperately to make "AD" work. It renewed it twice when the numbers didn't comerclose to renewal standards -- even on Fox. This season, it sacrificed another good comedy "Kitchen Confidential" by putting it after "AD": trying to build a comedy block.
Tens of millions of dollars you say? Since my post was so laced with "mistatements of fact," I'm going to go ahead and call you on this one. You show me one report that shows FOX putting forth ANY type of concentrated marketing campaign, yet alone one costing tens of millions of dollars and I'll eat my own shoes. Again, you're referring to the ratings. To ignore the other reasons that a network might keep a show (Critical buzz, Emmy nominations, Standard & Reputation) you still realize that if you don't advertise a show, no matter how great it is, its not going to get you ratings. As for KC, it was a decent comedy at best and your opinion falls way short of being logical when one considers that Prison Break did so well. KC was bracketed between a ratings and cult/critical hit and still failed. No way you can blame AD for that.

Quote:
Showtime may well pick it up -- but that speaks more to Showtime's desperation than to any creativity. It would be a somewhat quick fix for a network which has seen virtually all of its recnt series ("Weeds", "Sleeper Cell", Fat Actress", etc) do horribly in the ratings.
I don't get why you fail to recognize that ratings carry little to no importance on Pay-Cable. When you have repeat viewings, On Demand, and subscription based revenue, the ratings are useless. They're only real purpose is to determine how much advertising costs. Since Showtime has no advertising, they don't need ratings. I'd love to see you quote some subscription based data in correlation to 'Sleeper Cell' and 'Weeds' though.

Quote:
Even thoughShowtime has just renewed "Weeds" for season two, the ratings ended up trending solidly downward week by week from the opening episode.
Subcriptions, Subscriptions, Subscriptions.

Quote:
By the way, unless the contract is totally rewritten, Showtime would not share in any DVD profits. And there is little incentive for the producers (20th TV and Imagine) to cut Showtime in on the DVD profits when they now keep all for themselves.
Well at least you'll acknowledge that the DVD sales are a commodity. Your loopy logic has once again ignored the fact that, if AD does not continue past a 3rd season, there will be no DVD sales beyond Season 3. By your line of reasoning, why on earth would Showtime purchase a show which such strong DVD sales and allow Imagine and 20th Century to keep the rights? Sure guys, we'll keep paying for this show to be made but you go ahead and keep rights to DVD sales... It would be like Showtime asking for the profits from Seasons 1 or 2 because they're going to be making Seasons 4 and beyond. Isn't going to happen unless there's monetary compensation.
post #202 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C
But the bleeps are part of the joke. Sort of like the blur on Buster's stump.
Exactly. I remember watching a friend's DVD version of "Chappelle Show" and many of the skits lost some of the humor when you could hear the full swear. Like the skit with Wayne Brady. Having Wayne swear and get beeped is funny on many levels. Having him swear and hearing it as is, isn't as funny.

-Matt
post #203 of 301 Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
they could cut everyone for all I care (ok not really), but the key to AD for me is ron howard's witty narration... without that, there is no AD

edit: so what i'm saying is, no matter which network picks up AD, must keep ron howard. he's the voice of reason in a show full of chaos.
I don't think you'd have to worry about his salary being cut.
post #204 of 301 Old 12-15-2005, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering Ron Howard has a stake in the pie, I don't see his voice leaving it. Heck, he doesn't even have to pay himself.
post #205 of 301 Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

last night's episode was the funniest one i've ever seen, and i've seen every single episode. i think they recycle old storylines best (gob fighting michael, banana stand, one armed man, lindsey's a slut) because they do something more outrageous, more ironic, more hilarious the second, third time around.
the multiple twists (3 or 4) contained in the last two minutes of the show was just classic.
post #206 of 301 Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

According to last night's Nielsen overnight ratings 3.79 million people watched last night's original episode. That is below "Arrested Development's" season average of 4.25 million viewers.

(For some comparison, the cancelled "Reunion" also had 3.79 million viewers last week in its final episode to rank 88th for the week.)
post #207 of 301 Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
last night's episode was the funniest one i've ever seen, and i've seen every single episode. i think they recycle old storylines best (gob fighting michael, banana stand, one armed man, lindsey's a slut) because they do something more outrageous, more ironic, more hilarious the second, third time around.
the multiple twists (3 or 4) contained in the last two minutes of the show was just classic.
DIP IT IN THE WHAT!? DIP IT IN THE WHAT!?
post #208 of 301 Old 12-20-2005, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

we need some george michael vs steve holt action

edit: other than maeby's attention <shudder>
post #209 of 301 Old 12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

To try and get some non-depressing AD news out of fredfa, any word on how AD DVD sales have gone?

Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.
post #210 of 301 Old 01-02-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

so my guide says that tonight's episode is new. it is the new year and fox still hasn't officially cancelled AD. what gives?? is fox being fickle again? i love being on PST, i can actually finish watching all the bowl games before AD comes on :)
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page