Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Beyond the Hype: HDTV a Pretty Picture With Consumers; Consumer Reports Survey Shows Owner Satisfaction High, But TV Fans Want More HD Programming; Annual Electronics Issue Offers New Advice on Extended Warranties for TVs

YONKERS, N.Y., Oct. 3 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Experts are all but unanimous in their praise of high-definition television (HDTV). At its best, HDTV offers sharper, more detailed images than standard television and a better audio experience. But how noticeable and valuable are those distinctions to the viewer? A survey published in the Annual Electronics issue of Consumer Reports ( http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR24 ) indicates that HDTV is actually a hit with consumers. In a nationally representative survey of about 500 HDTV owners who receive HD signals by cable or satellite, 87 percent reported that HD indeed offers superior picture quality. But enthusiasm waned when Consumer Reports magazine asked about HD programming: 50 percent said they don't get enough HD channels on cable or satellite.

The positive feedback from HDTV viewers supports the recommendation that Consumer Reports has been making for the past year or so: Consumers who are at all serious about TV or DVD viewing, who are shopping for a TV they plan on watching often, should consider an HDTV.

The experts at Consumer Reports magazine note that there are many reasons to consider an HDTV including the fact that HDTV offers the best picture and sound quality; movies and sports fans will have the most to watch as these types of programs account for much of the current HD content. The magazine also notes that prices have fallen sharply. The average price of a digital TV has dropped by half or more since 2001. Also, rather than invest in yesterday's technology, an HDTV will still be a good choice in a few years. And finally, Consumer Reports notes that with HDTVs, consumers will have the maximum choice of sizes, types and prices.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
87% reported that HD "indeed offers superior picture quality?" What the heck is the other 13% looking at?
post #3 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo
87% reported that HD "indeed offers superior picture quality?" What the heck is the other 13% looking at?

HDlite maybe. Or bit starved cable HD offerings. Or possibly digital shows that are listed as HD but are simply upconverted SD.

People stopped watching because it sucked ass. Not because they didnt know the show was on. Now they are no longer watching the shows they liked because you constantly promote other crap.
post #4 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

13% probably did not understand the question.

Rich
post #5 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

13% is something else, there was a article posted here a while back that many folks who think they are viewing HDTV are not, Like those that own a HDTV see the logo in the bottom of their favorite show and say, "Hey I have a HDTV so I am watching HDTV"

I have personally witnessed 2 of these occasions, Sadly I think HDTV is still a mess at this point time

-Gary
post #6 of 57 Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Since 16% of Americans believe humans have been abducted by space aliens, 13% not agreeing that HD provides superior picture quality isn't all that bad. :)
post #7 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm actually a bit shocked that Consumer Reports is in favor of HDTV. I think they're still ranting about the fact that cars have modern headlight systems instead of the much cheaper 2 and 4 round headlight systems. :rolleyes:
post #8 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Consumer Reports couldn't even recommend the Motor Trend Car of the Year.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #9 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

You gotta realize that I think half are using their HD TV's for DVD's and SD programming. I also betcha about half dont know you need a special receiver and/or different channels to see HD. They are problably hooking up components using S-Video.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #10 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Eh, they're the ones who see everything through "Rose colored" glasses so everything looks good to them. :D
post #11 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I really doubt anywhere near 87% of the population has eyesight good enough to be able to tell the difference. The real question is why the 13% is so low, and it's probably the placebo effect. They paid a lot of money for something, so they think it looks better, even though they can't tell it looks better.
post #12 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

A perfect example is my wife. It makes no difference to her about the quality of the picture ( as long as it is reasonably viewable), it is the content that she cares about. Her vision is excellent.
post #13 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpade
Consumer Reports couldn't even recommend the Motor Trend Car of the Year.
Somehow it is a fault of CR, that they don't recommend the American car that bought the Car of the Year award this year? That award is hardly without bias.
post #14 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
My father also could care less about PQ. He can't tell the difference between HD and regular analog broadcast. 87% is actually a good amount considering the elderly population in this country.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #15 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What the heck is the other 13% looking at?
D*'s HDlite
post #16 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudot
Somehow it is a fault of CR, that they don't recommend the American car that bought the Car of the Year award this year? That award is hardly without bias.
CR also factors in reliability when giving their recommendation. Motor Trend is a snap shot evaluation based on other new cars available with little regard for its long-term reliability.

You'll find many cars that CR does not recommend that they rate higher (comfort/handling/features, etc) than cars that do earn the recommendation. Chrysler products fall into that scenario much more often than others. Nice design and features that compete well with the competition - but not very reliable in the long run.
post #17 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, it wasn't readily apparent on Google. What's the MT car of the year this year?
post #18 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 64
IIRC it was the Chrysler 300
post #19 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4av
13% probably did not understand the question.
Dingdingdingdingiding
post #20 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 07:46 AM

I know 4 other people with HDTV's. Only 1 person has a hd tuner, but he watches it over the RF output. 3 of them watch 4x3 content zoomed in order to see "more" of the picture. All think DVD's are HD. 1 buys full frame DVD's because "they don't cut off the top and bottom of the picture", then zoom's the display to fill the screen. All are happy with their picture.

So in my experience, 20%(me) are watching hd content, but 100% are happy with their hd experience.
post #21 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 08:55 AM

/OT rant

I stopped subscribing to Motor Trend back in the '70's after they picked the following vehicles as cars of the year: 1) the Chevy Vega and 2) the Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare. Note: the Aspen / Volare has the dubious honor of being the "most recalled model in automotive history". Read a real magazine (Automobile, Road & Track, Car and Driver) if you want real automotive information.

That being said, the new Chrysler 300 has received almost universal praise from the automotive press.

/end OT rant
post #22 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Most people dont read forums such as these, or really know the first thing about home electronic other than what they read in a best buy flyer. I am willing to bet that most people believe that digital TV and HDTV are the same thing. How many times do you hear that the gov is mandating HDTV by 2007 or whatever it is. MOst people have no clue.
Wlak down the street and ask 100 people what HD resolution is? You would be lucky to get one or two 720p or 1080i answers. You would be much more likely to get punched out.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you" - Jack Bauer
post #23 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvo
/OT rant

I stopped subscribing to Motor Trend back in the '70's after they picked the following vehicles as cars of the year: 1) the Chevy Vega and 2) the Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare. Note: the Aspen / Volare has the dubious honor of being the "most recalled model in automotive history".
I believe the Ford Focus, a past CR favorite, took that honor away from the Aspen/Volare.
post #24 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
I really doubt anywhere near 87% of the population has eyesight good enough to be able to tell the difference.
At first I was going to disagree with this, but when I started thinking about the "average" consumer, you may be right. But that would be assuming they are buying an average sized set. Most people I know still watch something around a 27-32" set from at least 10' away. And with that small of a picture, viewed at that distance by non-critical eyes, I could easily see 13% not really noticing much of a difference. Relatively small HD sets don't seem worth it to me, unless you're going to be watching them really close.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #25 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin
At first I was going to disagree with this, but when I started thinking about the "average" consumer, you may be right. But that would be assuming they are buying an average sized set. Most people I know still watch something around a 27-32" set from at least 10' away. And with that small of a picture, viewed at that distance by non-critical eyes, I could easily see 13% not really noticing much of a difference. Relatively small HD sets don't seem worth it to me, unless you're going to be watching them really close.
That's true if you compare hdtv to say a good dvd. On a 34" hdtv from over 10' away, a good dvd looks pretty much as good as a movied on HBO HD. But so much of the SD programming is really poor quality. You'd have to be legally blind to not see the difference when I switch the channel between my HD NBC affiliate and the analog cable version. The low end of HDTV is a huge improvement over the worst of the SD channels you may be receiving.
post #26 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

[quote=biglyle]Most people dont read forums such as these, or really know the first thing about home electronic other than what they read in a best buy flyer. I am willing to bet that most people believe that digital TV and HDTV are the same thing.

I think you are probably correct.
post #27 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno, when I shelled out $2,500 for my HDTV, I kind of made sure I knew what I would need to view high definition. Maybe some people don't read the manual or talk to salespeople, but I don't think too many get into it without knowing.

I think instead, many people bought tvs that needed a seperate HD tuner, and haven't bought one or rented one yet due to the extra cost. In the meantime, for them it's just another tv that DVDs happen to fit better on.

One thing that pissed me off, I went to a sports bar this weekend and there were 8 identical hdtv flat screens on the walls. All showing the same game. One was in HDTV, the other 7 weren't. Just seemed like such a waste. Especially since they had the screen stretched out on the other 7, So the players looked like midgets.

The sad thing was, nobody seemed to care. But I was sitting there thinking "change the aspect ratio!!, do something!" I went home to watch the second half.
post #28 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM

Liked: 15
My brother in law in FL bought an HD capable set, has digital cable and swears he is watching HDTV.
I didn't have the heart to tell him he's a maroon. ;-)
post #29 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Even more confusing to many is the fact that even many HD sporting events aren't fully HD. Golf and auto racing are two big examples of events where multiple SD cameras come into play. Add in mislabelling of SD programs as HD, and it can make people question whether HD really looks better than SD.
post #30 of 57 Old 10-04-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe
I dunno, when I shelled out $2,500 for my HDTV, I kind of made sure I knew what I would need to view high definition.
Which accounts for why you participate here.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page