post #271 of 18269 Old 01-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New Jersey Star-Ledger had this article yesterday,

"Verizon rolling in Texas, going nowhere in N.J."

"Verizon Communications yesterday touted its success in capturing 20 percent of the video-entertainment market in a Texas town, but in New Jersey, its cable-television-programming ambitions remain caught in a legislative bottleneck".

Full article:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...er?btel&coll=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 18269 Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Noticed a curious comment in John Markoff's NYTimes article today about IPTV (internet-protocol TV; i.e., packet switching):
Quote:

Last fall, both AT&T, formerly SBC, and Verizon began limited introductions of Microsoft's version of IPTV.

Still, critics charge that the telephone companies are intentionally crippling the Internet capabilities of their services to appear much like traditional closed cable offerings.

Had the impression the Verizon intros so far were using cable-TV technology. While IPTV, at least according to this article , is the most sophisticated of three switched broadcasting techniques. (Supposedly my Time Warner Cable plans a rollout of switched broadcasting this year.) -- John
post #273 of 18269 Old 01-07-2006, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
From what I've been told, FIOS will indeed support CableCard but I do not have 100% confirmation on that. I do not have a CableCard device in the house at the present time. I've toyed with it but haven't gone there.

John
post #274 of 18269 Old 01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hziemba View Post

Does Verizon offer a CableCard? I have a Sony Bravia.

I can't get FIOS yet, but I signed up to be notified.

I would venture to say that they would be REQUIRED to offer the cablecard.
post #275 of 18269 Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 PM

Checked yesterday and was shocked to see it was now available for Falls Church. Almost certainly going to switch from D*, but there were only two question marks. First of all, speaking with them briefly yesterday, I was informed the HD DVR available only had a 120gb drive and was rated for about 10 hours of HD content. Obviously that's not a breaking point, but still rather disappointing.

I'm almost afraid how much county taxes are going to be. It's been so long since I had cable, eight years or so, that I don't want to see how much they add to the bill now. Right now, with two HD DVRs and one SD DVR, it's about $2 less than D* for everything at $117 and change. With local fees added, well, I'll have to see on Monday how much the monthly bill will add up to.
post #276 of 18269 Old 01-08-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

5% is the maxiumum franchise fee allowed.
post #277 of 18269 Old 01-08-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't hang up from the rep until he got me a model number on the DVR. I was on hold twice for over 10 minutes each. He finally got me the info. It's a Motorola QIP6416. I looked it up on their website and the 16 stands for 160GB. They were initially using the QIP6412 which has the 120GB drive.

Dave B.
post #278 of 18269 Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Any of you FiOS TV users out there heard about plans to carry this channel that launched last April?

I notice that they are carrying the regular channel as part of the sports package. Also down there in the Dallas Metroplex area are you getting your local RSN? We will be receiving our local RSN here in Northern Virginia. Thanks in advance.
post #279 of 18269 Old 01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

This reply came from JJDavis, one of the first FiOS installs in Keller, TX.

Sounds like a 5C issue to me, unfortunately. I used to have a Moto 6412 from Cox cable whuich allowed archiving to D-VHS until a software download mistakenly changed the 5C to Copy Never. I had to switch to the non-DVR 6200 for a while until the phaseIII 6412's were released, which were firewire-freindly. Man, this FIOS is close to being rolled out in my area. It would be a shame if it had a crippled functionality.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #280 of 18269 Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 PM

It's very fortunate for Verizon that I'm not easily dissuaded from switching to their service. I ordered on Monday, had an install set for next Saturday the 21st from 8am-5pm. Two HD DVRs one SD DVR. I tried and tried to get more information on the HD DVR, that it was indeed the 160gb instead of the 120gb they were telling me.

So today I decide to change the order two three HD DVRs. I again ask about the 160gb/120gb issue, at which point they finally offer to give a message to an installer/technician to call me back. An hour later my order is canceled. For an hour and a half I can't get a straight answer, it's either a hardware problem or "some areas in Falls Church can't get FIOS-TV" (Given I'm using FIOS Internet, not a problem I think)

Finally this technician calls me back, at which point I'm informed that it's a franchise issue with Fairfax. Now I know for a fact as everyone else in this thread does that the franchise rights for Verizon passed for Fairfax nearly a year ago. So whether some paper hasn't been signed or if it's just BS, I don't know. He made it clear that they (installers) had no idea these orders were being signed up in Fairfax Co. and that the marketers had no clue what was going on and were severely misinformed about the availability of the service.

Bottom line, I'm either being lied to or they are really, really, really clueless. Clueless to the point where they are still selling a product and signing up installs to an area they still don't have the right to sell to. Bottom line, has anyone else had their order mysteriously canceled or does anyone actually have the service in their home and running in Fairfax/Falls Church? Because if I was getting a legitimate explanation, all the recent NoVA posters in this thread have a rude awakening coming.
post #281 of 18269 Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Adams View Post

It's very fortunate for Verizon that I'm not easily dissuaded from switching to their service. I ordered on Monday, had an install set for next Saturday the 21st from 8am-5pm. Two HD DVRs one SD DVR. I tried and tried to get more information on the HD DVR, that it was indeed the 160gb instead of the 120gb they were telling me.

So today I decide to change the order two three HD DVRs. I again ask about the 160gb/120gb issue, at which point they finally offer to give a message to an installer/technician to call me back. An hour later my order is canceled. For an hour and a half I can't get a straight answer, it's either a hardware problem or "some areas in Falls Church can't get FIOS-TV" (Given I'm using FIOS Internet, not a problem I think)

Finally this technician calls me back, at which point I'm informed that it's a franchise issue with Fairfax. Now I know for a fact as everyone else in this thread does that the franchise rights for Verizon passed for Fairfax nearly a year ago. So whether some paper hasn't been signed or if it's just BS, I don't know. He made it clear that they (installers) had no idea these orders were being signed up in Fairfax Co. and that the marketers had no clue what was going on and were severely misinformed about the availability of the service.

Bottom line, I'm either being lied to or they are really, really, really clueless. Clueless to the point where they are still selling a product and signing up installs to an area they still don't have the right to sell to. Bottom line, has anyone else had their order mysteriously canceled or does anyone actually have the service in their home and running in Fairfax/Falls Church? Because if I was getting a legitimate explanation, all the recent NoVA posters in this thread have a rude awakening coming.

Rick,

Do you live within the City of Falls Church? Franchises are awarded by the LOCAL Governing body. A franchise with the county of Fairfax would only be good in unincorporated areas of the county. According to this Press Release the first public reading of the franchise with Verizon was only done yesterday. Second reading to be on 1/23 with service to be available in March.
post #282 of 18269 Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

Rick,

Do you live within the City of Falls Church? Franchises are awarded by the LOCAL Governing body. A franchise with the county of Fairfax would only be good in unincorporated areas of the county. According to this Press Release the first public reading of the franchise with Verizon was only done yesterday. Second reading to be on 1/23 with service to be available in March.

No, I don't. This was the first thing I thought might be the problem, and I went over it with them, and they assured me they knew I was not part of the City of Falls Church. I'm about a block from the Arlington county border, so that definitely isn't the issue.

Quite frankly I'm afraid despite my informing them I'm not part of the City of Falls Church that's still the problem. When I changed the order, someone at Verizon saw "Hey, his address is listed as Falls Church" and canceled the order because of that. As incompetent as everyone I spoke with was, I don't think it's going to be easy to resolve. I currently have a call in to my local supervisor to discuss whether the franchise agreement with Fairfax is currently in place or not, and once I get that information I'll go at Verizon again. Was just curious if I'm only one going through this or if it really is a problem with the Fairfax govt.
post #283 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I don't. This was the first thing I thought might be the problem, and I went over it with them, and they assured me they knew I was not part of the City of Falls Church. I'm about a block from the Arlington county border, so that definitely isn't the issue.

Quite frankly I'm afraid despite my informing them I'm not part of the City of Falls Church that's still the problem. When I changed the order, someone at Verizon saw "Hey, his address is listed as Falls Church" and canceled the order because of that. As incompetent as everyone I spoke with was, I don't think it's going to be easy to resolve. I currently have a call in to my local supervisor to discuss whether the franchise agreement with Fairfax is currently in place or not, and once I get that information I'll go at Verizon again. Was just curious if I'm only one going through this or if it really is a problem with the Fairfax govt.

No Rick, you aren't the only one. I can't even get them to accept my order because "the service isn't authorized in the Falls Church area yet". I live in Fairfax County with a FC address.

Everyday I type my number in on the qualification page and it comes back saying I am qualified. I have tried to get information from Verizon as to what the problem is but all the robotrons in the business office will say is "see above quote". I spoke to a supervisor who quoted the party line and would not let me talk to a manager. It is very frustrating to say the least.

I retired from Verizon 4 years ago and still have some friends who work there. I am trying to find someone who is part of the FIOS group to see if I can get a better explanation as to what's going on.

Dave B.
post #284 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post

No Rick, you aren't the only one. I can't even get them to accept my order because "the service isn't authorized in the Falls Church area yet". I live in Fairfax County with a FC address.

Everyday I type my number in on the qualification page and it comes back saying I am qualified. I have tried to get information from Verizon as to what the problem is but all the robotrons in the business office will say is "see above quote". I spoke to a supervisor who quoted the party line and would not let me talk to a manager. It is very frustrating to say the least.

I retired from Verizon 4 years ago and still have some friends who work there. I am trying to find someone who is part of the FIOS group to see if I can get a better explanation as to what's going on.

I believe FF CO has some sort of Cable Commision, I'd get them involved.
post #285 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Does anyone know for certain whether Comcast's sports network is available for Verizon? Without the Wizards and Orioles in 1080HD and ACC Sunday nite bball it is a deal breaker for me.
post #286 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bottom line, has anyone else had their order mysteriously canceled or does anyone actually have the service in their home and running in Fairfax/Falls Church? Because if I was getting a legitimate explanation, all the recent NoVA posters in this thread have a rude awakening coming.

Here is a thread from another website you might find informative. Three different people have had installs, two in Reston and one undisclosed location in the county.

My install is scheduled for Tuesday, January 24. When I type my number in the Can I Get FiOS TV? link, the following message comes up:

Quote:

You already have Verizon FiOS TV. Our records indicate that you already have ordered FiOS TV at this location. If you feel this is incorrect, please call 1-800-293-9139 (Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) to see if you can order FiOS TV.

I called this morning and spoke with a CSR who confirmed that I was indeed in the system. I had a question regarding the programming lineup. The channel lineup as displayed is accurate across their entire footprint--Texas; Temple Terrace, FL; and Herndon/Fairfax County. The pdf link that is specific for us is not updated. I wanted to make sure I was getting HDNet after reading earlier in this very thread a post from a NauticaX who indicated a friend here who had the service was only getting HDNet Movies.

As for the question of CSN being available, the only thing I know is there is a deal between MASN and Verizon for the Nats games. I have seen that the local RSN is available in the Dallas suburbs where FiOS is deployed but I haven't heard anything about CSN availability for NoVA. That raises a side question: Since MASN produces the Orioles games, does CSN separately produce the HD games? I would be interested in watching the Os but only if they are in HD. Same with the Wizards.
post #287 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 AM

Any update on when the North Shore of LI will get FIOS TV? Considering upgrading Dish equipment if its going to be a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post

On the North Shore of Long Island the battle to get Verizon's FIOS TV is heating up. I have had Verizon's FIOS internet service for several months now and it has worked as advertised so I have been looking forward to seeing competition to our local cable TV provider which is Cablevision.

Cablevision's reputation for service and value is not good and my personal experiences with them support this. I recently questioned my village's representative to our North Shore Cable Commission concerning the feeling that they are dragging their feet. He blamed Verizon for not making an official proposal for a franchise but there are rumors afloat that the commission has made unreasonable demands. I don't know what truth is but Cablevision has a reputation for doing everything and anything to stop real competition.

The only solution is for citizens to keep questioning their representatives and force them to act for the public good.

post #288 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_walt View Post

Does anyone know for certain whether Comcast's sports network is available for Verizon? Without the Wizards and Orioles in 1080HD and ACC Sunday nite bball it is a deal breaker for me.

I agree, I had already decided to switch from Directv after 10 years of being with them. I was distraught about giving up NFL, but the HD, the signal strength and the reliability of FIOS outweighs the Sunday Ticket. But no Comcast means no wizards and caps. I just can't do that. I see on the lineup in herndon no CSN, so I would expect no CSN in fairfax.
post #289 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM

I haven't heard anyone talk about FiOS in Fort Wayne, Indiana yet, but I recently had FiOS internet installed and the installer said that FiOS TV should be rolling out in October. Being a Midwest city, this is BIG and we're getting it before Indianapolis!!!

Psalms 150
post #290 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_walt View Post

Just ran across this article from the Cherry Hill, NJ Courier-Post you might find of interest:

Quote:

VERIZON COULD CHALLENGE COMCAST SPORTS VIEWERS

Verizon is primed to give Comcast some competition for consumers' cable business, and it could be good news for sports fans looking to save money and get more channels in the process.
Spend less and get more. What a concept.
The key to the deal for sports fans is that Verizon may be armed with something satellite providers aren't -- local sports programming.
Verizon is in the process of equipping New Jersey communities with its FTTP technology, which uses hair-thin strands of fiber and optical electronics to link homes or businesses to Verizon networks. The result is the ability for broadband Internet services and, more importantly, video services that potentially could give Comcast's 1.4 million New Jersey subscribers another option for cable television.
To this point, South Jersey sports fans' only option if they want to watch the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers is to subscribe to Comcast since the majority of the teams' games are televised on Comcast SportsNet.
Comcast SportsNet is not available to subscribers of DirecTV or DISH Network, the two leading satellite providers. Because of the way it distributes SportsNet, Comcast is allowed to withhold it from satellite competitors through the so-called "terrestrial loophole."
Verizon officials are confident they won't run into the same legal roadblock in offering its video service, called FiOS TV. Verizon is optimistic that when it launches in New Jersey, Comcast SportsNet, CN8, The Golf Channel and OLN -- all Comcast entities -- will be part of its channel offerings.
"Comcast has embraced our entry into the market and we're optimistic we will offer their programming," said Alexis Johnson, Verizon's director of programming. "We feel it's important because local sports resonates with local communities."
Comcast spokesman Tim Fitzpatrick said the company does not comment on negotiations.
Why would FiOS be good news for sports fans?
First, and most importantly, it would bring some needed competition to the cable landscape, as Comcast has created a virtual monopoly in the Delaware Valley.
Second, it could result in a cheaper monthly cable bill.
Verizon's FiOS TV, which launched in September and is available in three communities in Texas, Virginia and Florida, costs $39.95 per month for the expanded basic package that includes 180 digital video and music channels.
Virtually the same digital package from Comcast currently runs $63.85 per month, and that will go up in January when Comcast raises the rates on its expanded basic package by an average of 6 percent.
Third, FiOS TV will offer more programming for sports fans. The current FiOS channel lineup includes 22 sports channels, seven of which are part of the expanded basic service. ESPN Classic and ESPNU are included in FiOS' basic package, and those channels are not available to all Comcast subscribers in South Jersey.
FiOS TV also offers a sports tier for $5.95 per month that gets you 15 extra channels -- some of which Comcast has and some of which it doesn't.
Before you get giddy about saving $20 per month and getting more sports channels, realize that it could be a while before FiOS TV is available widespread in South Jersey for two reasons.
Currently, only 100 of the 526 New Jersey communities Verizon serves are being equipped with the FTTP technology. Second, state law requires cable operators to negotiate contracts with local municipalities on a town by town basis -- a process Verizon says could take 6-18 months.
So it may be a while. In the meantime, Comcast could show some goodwill and make ESPN Classic and ESPNU available to all South Jersey subscribers.

Our situation in DC is somewhat different than Philadelphia's, but it seems that for us it is only a question of when FiOS TV will get CSN--and their HD sportscasts--not if.
post #291 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post

OK, I just talked to Verizon.

I can get everything they offer, including 22 HD channels (8 local, 9 national, 5 premium), an HD DVR, a standard STB, plus movie and sports packages, for $10 less a month than I'm paying D*tv for only HBO and Showtime plus HD package and TiVo services.

Oh man!! Can we say "Goodbye D*"????

I just had Verizon over at my house yesterday on a phone repair issue. He mentioned that FIOS would be in may area in the Feb/March timeframe. I can't wait to see what they've got. This may be the true alternative so many of us have been looking for.
post #292 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 03:14 PM

I don't know if any of you guys that have the Motorola DVR STB are using this but Motorola's site says that the unit is capable of being used as a "home media server" to view recorded programs throughout the home. If anyone is using this feature it would interesting to hear about it.

Psalms 150
post #293 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

Our situation in DC is somewhat different than Philadelphia's, but it seems that for us it is only a question of when FiOS TV will get CSN--and their HD sportscasts--not if.

CSN-HD and to not deal with Comcast.............Priceless

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #294 of 18269 Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Just to let you guys know. I'm in Massapequa pk long Island and Verizon just called and told me the tv service is turning on monday.
post #295 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronixchange View Post

I don't know if any of you guys that have the Motorola DVR STB are using this but Motorola's site says that the unit is capable of being used as a "home media server" to view recorded programs throughout the home. If anyone is using this feature it would interesting to hear about it.

Yes, it would also be interesting to hear, with fiber to the home, plus the newest-model converter(s), whether they can deliver HD resolutions that exceed the limitations of typical cable delivery. From a number of AVS posts, based on HDNet resolution wedges , this appears to average <1300 lines/PW maximum with a converter. (CableCards apparently are better, but no firm measurements here AFAIK.) The test pattern, with non-sampled 1080i, can apparently provide close to 1920-line resolution, unless the delivery source (DBS, cable head ends) is reformatting (HDLite) or over-filtering/compressing the signal. Sampled motion-video 1080i has a reduced effective resolution (maximum resolvable detail), subject to many limiting variables. Fiber to the home should be able to deliver bit rates of at least 23--30 Mbps , without prefiltering as dr1394 stresses, which is the sweet spot for MPEG-2 1920X1080 home delivery fidelity, assuming adequate bit rates originate from program sources. Most delivery sources now supply <17 Mbps (video payload) into homes. -- John
post #296 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere that the home networking features of the QIP6416 are not currently utilized by Verizon, but will be turned on at some later date. I like the idea of this as well, since it would effectively multiply the amount of useful recording space accessible from any one viewing location. I can also see simple scenarios like chasing the kids out of the great room to finish watching their cartoons upstairs....

In terms of the "can't get FiOS TV" issue I am in a similar boat. The FiOS website and even a letter from Verizon tell me I am good to go, but on the phone they say my account tells them it is not available to my address yet. This has something to do with additional infrastructure Verizon adds around the FiOS setup, so just having FiOS internet is not the kicker. Note that the rep did suggest that maybe FiOS TV didn't have authorization in my area yet, but this is not the case given Texas' recent state-wide authorization approach.

I am interested in hearing about other Flower Mound installs. The QIP6416 sounds nice. I also checked out a short video on www.microsoft.com/tv on their DVR software. This, I believe, is what runs on the FiOS box. Looks reasonably well-featured, covering (at least as shown on the video) the major bases of my HD-TiVo's functionality.
post #297 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 PM

I am also interested in any Flower Mound specific info.
post #298 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def View Post

Just to let you guys know. I'm in Massapequa pk long Island and Verizon just called and told me the tv service is turning on monday.

You're a Bastard! Joking. I'm so jealous

Well at least I have FIOS internet...
post #299 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstr View Post

You're a Bastard! Joking. I'm so jealous

Well at least I have FIOS internet...

What upload/download speeds do you get?
post #300 of 18269 Old 01-13-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def View Post

Tommy, let us know how the picture is and how it compares with your current provider!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page