post #3961 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

anyone notice that NFL football seems to be filmed/broadcast at a different speed then other programs/chans.

its hard to explain but the video just seems to be eitehr slower or faster or both then other chans and so far only for NFL football. on my smaller 42" tv its not as noticeable but on 67" it is very noticeable and looks very artificial and not preferable.

my wife said it looks like slow motion but thast not quite it. its hard to explain, it actually looks like fast motion at times.

it makes me think of blu ray and tvs that are capable at viewing the film like 24hz mode. problem is for this with football whatever it is which I have come to conclusion with some test thats its a combination of the programing/cable box and the tv and its size emphasizing the defect in video speed/signal.

it doesnt look good though and i doubt comcast has this problem for nfl football.

still tryign to get to t he bottom of what exactly it is and what i can change on the fios hd dvr box, tv or both to address this issue.

As bfdtv talks about, there are various aspects involved and it depends on exactly what you are watching.

So to narrow this down, first we need to know what you have the box/DVR set to output (1080i or 720p). Then see if you notice this issue on CBS/NBC/FOX or ABC/ESPN (or both).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

Verizon FIOS has just been made available in my area. I reside in Long Island, NY in the town of Islip. And i was really looking foward to switching to FIOS over cable but, the pricing is not that very competitive. I currently get HD and DVR service from Cablevision. To order FIOS, you start off by getting a 42.99 package (mandatory if you want HD). HD is then an additional 9.99 per month, with Cablevision its free. DVR service is $4.99 in Cablevision, FIOS is 12.99 per month (box included).

But the number 1 reason for my interest in FIOS is picture quality. I am very dissapointed with the HD picture quality in cable but its cheap. I want to know from the people out there who switched from cable (particularly cablevision) to FIOS and saw a VAST improvement in HD quality that would warrant me to switch to FIOS for more money.

Thank you

Thought I'd chime in since I just converted from Cablevision to Fios early this week. I love the picture quality. As someone said, SD is noticeably better and HD is marginally better. I was greatly distracted by macroblocking caused by the compression in the cable service but no such problems with Fios! I'd dare say it's about as good as watching Blu-ray or HD-DVD disc minus the better audio. If you believe in quality over quantity like I do, make the jump and remember that every TV will probably want a box as you only get about 19 channels w/o it.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #3963 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 PM

I have a 56 inch sammy dlp with a 2 plus chip. It is 720 p native, will I see a big or nominal diffrence with D*? Thanks in advance
post #3964 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

Verizon FIOS has just been made available in my area. I reside in Long Island, NY in the town of Islip. And i was really looking foward to switching to FIOS over cable but, the pricing is not that very competitive. I currently get HD and DVR service from Cablevision. To order FIOS, you start off by getting a 42.99 package (mandatory if you want HD). HD is then an additional 9.99 per month, with Cablevision its free. DVR service is $4.99 in Cablevision, FIOS is 12.99 per month (box included).

But the number 1 reason for my interest in FIOS is picture quality. I am very dissapointed with the HD picture quality in cable but its cheap. I want to know from the people out there who switched from cable (particularly cablevision) to FIOS and saw a VAST improvement in HD quality that would warrant me to switch to FIOS for more money.

Thank you

I live on LI and I've had E*, D*, and Cablevision. I now have FiOS and the picture and price beats them all, hands down. At one point, I had D*, CV, and V at the same time and A/B/C comparisons prove V is superior. My only dissapointment is lack of specific HD channels. Most will be coming, but we'll never see MSG-HD or FSNY-HD on anything other than Cablevision.

»ken«
post #3965 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins4life View Post

I have a 56 inch sammy dlp with a 2 plus chip. It is 720 p native, will I see a big or nominal diffrence with D*? Thanks in advance

The improvement on SD will be significant.

Since your display is 720p native, you won't see the same degree of difference that others with 1080p displays will see. However, you may see a slight improvement in resolution and there will be an obvious reduction in blocking. I assume you see blocking regularly with DirecTV. Most of that is eliminated with FiOS.

As the above poster suggested, PQ on many FiOS channels is more comparable to what you get with Blu-ray.
post #3966 of 18258 Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know if Verizon has planned to expand the limit of how many TV connections can be used. I know 7 sounds like a lot but we rent out an apartment in my house, so we have need for a few move tvs with digital cable boxes.
post #3967 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 56
did the IMG update reduce capacity on the HD DVR?

right now, I have 4h45m of SD and 6h of HD recorded, and it says I have space left for 6h of HD or 18h of SD. That's like 14h of HD in total. That's pretty anemic even for 160G isn't it?

I never counted exactly how many hours I could record before, but it seemed more.
post #3968 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

did the IMG update reduce capacity on the HD DVR?

right now, I have 4h45m of SD and 6h of HD recorded, and it says I have space left for 6h of HD or 18h of SD. That's like 14h of HD in total. That's pretty anemic even for 160G isn't it?

I never counted exactly how many hours I could record before, but it seemed more.

Yes, This is a temporary reduction which should be restored in October
post #3969 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Hey guys, I have had fios internet since about this time last year and just ordered fios tv. I got two sd boxes but I am soon getting a HDTV. I am either gonna get one early october or wait until black friday. So my question is can I call and order a hd dvr to replace the sd box around then? Is there any fees? Beside the monthly price difference?
post #3970 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

I'd dare say it's about as good as watching Blu-ray or HD-DVD disc minus the better audio.

Hey, I like my FiOS TV as much as the next guy but I've got to take issue with this statement. We all know PQ is highly subjective. I just recently bought the HD DVD add-on player to go with my XBox 360 and I so far only own three titles--300, King Kong and Corpse Bride. But I can tell you that the PQ on those three movies blows away anything I see on my FiOS HD movie channels. Maybe after I view a larger sample I'll have a different observation. I should also mention that I'm watching on a 72-inch 1080P DLP, so that has some effect. But I'm only seeing those titles at 1080i because I can only connect my Xbox via component. They would obviously look even better at 1080P.

I think statements like this give too much credit to the content providers, e.g. HBO, Showtime, Starz. Frankly I am extremely disappointed in the present state of broadcast HD. There's way too much mulitcasting on the part of broadcasters and poor mastering/transfer quality of movies and reduced bit rate among the content providers. There are still too many SD cameras in use on HD broadcasts, particularly sporting events on ESPN and Fox. Things are slowly improving on that front but not fast enough for me.

At least FiOS is passing along the signal as they get it and not watering it down any further a la D*.
post #3971 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers1718 View Post

Hey guys, I have had fios internet since about this time last year and just ordered fios tv. I got two sd boxes but I am soon getting a HDTV. I am either gonna get one early october or wait until black friday. So my question is can I call and order a hd dvr to replace the sd box around then? Is there any fees? Beside the monthly price difference?

Yes, they charged me a $25 delivery fee. They had to bring it to me, that was the only option at that time.
post #3972 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

Hey, I like my FiOS TV as much as the next guy but I've got to take issue with this statement. We all know PQ is highly subjective. I just recently bought the HD DVD add-on player to go with my XBox 360 and I so far only own three titles--300, King Kong and Corpse Bride. But I can tell you that the PQ on those three movies blows away anything I see on my FiOS HD movie channels.

To be fair, you are comparing the absolute best quality HD-DVD releases available, as indicated by the HD-DVD PQ ranking thread.

HBO and Showtime do use lower bitrates, 11-12Mbps ABR with peaks of less than 14Mbps. Starz is a bit higher. On the other hand, Discovery, Hdnet, Hdnet Movies, MTV, TNT, and a few other channels use 17-19Mbps.

I think if you compared some lower tier movies on Blu-ray and HD-DVD - rather than the 'best of the best' -- you would find the quality very comparable to much of the content shown on Discovery, Hdnet, and Hdnet Movies. But I do agree that nothing on FiOS can match the 'best of the best' quality titles on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
post #3973 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Alright cool thanks for the response.
post #3974 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

HBO and Showtime do use lower bitrates, 11-12Mbps ABR with peaks of less than 14Mbps. Starz is a bit higher. On the other hand, Discovery, Hdnet, Hdnet Movies, MTV, TNT, and a few other channels use 17-19Mbps.

How do you tell?

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #3975 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

To be fair, you are comparing the absolute best quality HD-DVD releases available, as indicated by the HD-DVD PQ ranking thread.

I think if you compared some lower tier movies on Blu-ray and HD-DVD - rather than the 'best of the best' -- you would find the quality very comparable to much of the content shown on Discovery, Hdnet, and Hdnet Movies. But I do agree that nothing on FiOS can match the 'best of the best' quality titles on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Luckily, I don't have any of those low bit-rate premium channels.

Now, remember I didn't say as smooth as "1080p/24 Blu-ray or HD-DVD." You probably could have gotten me for that one, billodom.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #3976 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Luckily, I don't have any of those low bit-rate premium channels.

Universal-HD is a lower bit-rate channel. How do you tell? Back when I had the more useful older 6416 software, when I recorded a 1 hour show on Universal-HD, it typically used 3% of the recording space. HBO and Showtime varied but they were around 4 to 5% on average, IIRC. My local ABC channel, WJLA-DT 7 with 2 SD sub-channels, would run 5% per hour. HDNet, CBS, NBC programs would on average take 6% per hour. This is one of my beefs with the new IMG with the new HD recording hours remaining display -THEY CAN"T TELL YOU THAT WITH ANY ACCURACY! HD recording space varies with the HD channel and HD program you record. I hope they eventually add a percentage of drive space used (to .1% accuracy) to the IMG recording status display in a future update.
post #3977 of 18258 Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1700 View Post

Thanks for the links, I couldn't open up the mgoblue, but the Penn St. link is a recent interview w the BTN president, which was very interesting.

The full link is http://www.mgoblue.com/document_disp...cument_id=7324 and has lots more info. As you read at the PSU site, Silverman said that they were negotiating with VZ. I called a contact of mine working for VZ in the DC area to follow up on that... hope to get good news to share.
post #3978 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnestheus View Post

The full link is http://www.mgoblue.com/document_disp...cument_id=7324 and has lots more info. As you read at the PSU site, Silverman said that they were negotiating with VZ. I called a contact of mine working for VZ in the DC area to follow up on that... hope to get good news to share.

Sorry guys - VZ isn't even considering Big 10 at this time. I got that confirm last week. They really missed a chance at HUGE free press.
post #3979 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
with all the bugs and such with the IMG and D*'s imminent launch of their HD channels, would you fios subscribers still jump ship, knowing what you know now? i'm growing tired of D* and it's crap H20 boxes that keep rebooting when i'm watching HD, (strangely it doesn't do this in SD channels), loss of signal during storms and price increases. not to mention that i don't have a DVR and can get one with fios for the same price or lower than i'm currently paying now.

i'm a pretty patient person, and would imagine that fios will step up their HD offerings in the future to compete with D*. extending my contract with D* to receive hd lite doesn't necessarily appeal to me. (i need the 5lnb dish and b band converter) i'd have to pay a fee to cancel wince i'm not quite out of contract with D*, but it's <$100 so it's pretty minimal concern.
post #3980 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 08:13 AM

I will tell you that I am torn. I love the FIOS internet, I love the PQ no question. I was told, as I have mentioned here before, a year and half ago when I get Fios that csn hd MA was getting ready to go live momentarily. I also was told that hd on demand was around the corner. Then we got something in the mail that indicated that we were finally gettin csn MA HD and just about every other city got it but DC didn't!

I don't have a 1080 p tv and the Direct tv hd lite isn't quite as bad as in my opionion as some. I do want the best pq and it is more important than quantity BUT there is a limit. If D* is sitting there with 60 hd channels and we have 20 and they have the csn hd channel that I covet it will be a very touch choice for me. I am willing to wait for many of these new channels but I am very confused as to why DC has been left out of the CSN HD offerings, I wish they would be able to explain it and give some idea when it would be available.

One thing that I am sure of is that Comcast is not an option at anytime in the future for me. Hey fios stop fooling with IMG's an worry about your programming selection, just a suggestion!
post #3981 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins4life View Post

Hey fios stop fooling with IMG's an worry about your programming selection, just a suggestion!

I wish people would stop saying this. Different groups have the responsibility for each of these items.
post #3982 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post

I wish people would stop saying this. Different groups have the responsibility for each of these items.

Then I guess there are several groups behind the power curve.
post #3983 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

Then I guess there are several groups behind the power curve.

Fair enough statement.
post #3984 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Please don't flame me. But I just left D* for Fios for certain reasons so I am not up to date on the FIOS threads. To make a long story short, I love FIOS but was wondering if there are plans to add more HD in the next several months? I have my 30 day trial with FIOS, but I am starting to see that even the SD FIOS stations are looking almost as good as some of the D* HD stations. Also, I think alot of the D* station are in the "lite" category and really are not that exciting....

Any input on the additional FIOS HD stations would be helpful.

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #3985 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Please don't flame me. But I just left D* for Fios for certain reasons so I am not up to date on the FIOS threads. To make a long story short, I love FIOS but was wondering if there are plans to add more HD in the next several months? I have my 30 day trial with FIOS, but I am starting to see that even the SD FIOS stations are looking almost as good as some of the D* HD stations. Also, I think alot of the D* station are in the "lite" category and really are not that exciting....

Any input on the additional FIOS HD stations would be helpful.

Yes, rumor has it that FiOS will be adding more HD channels this fall; however, that is not a certainty. FiOS never gives a date-certain for anything to happen. The sub just turns on the TV one day and magically there is something new to be found.
post #3986 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

with all the bugs and such with the IMG and D*'s imminent launch of their HD channels, would you fios subscribers still jump ship, knowing what you know now? i'm growing tired of D* and it's crap H20 boxes that keep rebooting when i'm watching HD, (strangely it doesn't do this in SD channels), loss of signal during storms and price increases. not to mention that i don't have a DVR and can get one with fios for the same price or lower than i'm currently paying now.

i'm a pretty patient person, and would imagine that fios will step up their HD offerings in the future to compete with D*. extending my contract with D* to receive hd lite doesn't necessarily appeal to me. (i need the 5lnb dish and b band converter) i'd have to pay a fee to cancel wince i'm not quite out of contract with D*, but it's <$100 so it's pretty minimal concern.

I just made the switch and love FIOS...now I get CSN in Phila...I went 7 years w/out it. The PQ on SD is worth the switching.....better than some of the D* HD programs.The HD on some of the FIOS stations are about the same as D* and some are a notch better. There are few to no compression artifacts on SD and HD.

I'm also wondering about the HD plans for FIOS, but for now I have about 7-8 more HD stations than D*...that will be short lived though. However, for SD programming it's light years ahead of D*...the more I watch it the better it looks.

"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #3987 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, rumor has it that FiOS will be adding more HD channels this fall; however, that is not a certainty. FiOS never gives a date-certain for anything to happen. The sub just turns on the TV one day and magically there is something new to be found.

Thanks...at least there is hope and not like ...."no plans for 2 years..."
I really do like FIOS so far.

Yamaha Drum kit....
post #3988 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

To give you a somewhat educated answer, I'll cover a few other aspects of FiOS in addition to TV.

I moved from D* to FiOS in January of 2006. I was with D* for the previous 6-1/2 years. There are a lot of factors involved. If you use the Internet to any extent, you should consider switching to FiOS. I have the 15/2 Internet package for which I'm paying $44.95 a month (including taxes). The reliability is superb. Of course the fiberoptic infrastructure is new so you've got that benefit. I have VoIP phone service through VoiceWing. VoIP, I'm told, works optimally with FiOS. The total cost is less than $30 a month (including taxes) and I've got all the bells and whistles that I had with POTS for less than half the price. I've had a few minor glitches with VoIP in the year I have been with them but overall reliability is pretty good and has stabilized. Voice quality is as good as POTS.
As far as TV, the size and quality of your display would be a factor in being bothered by the amount of compression D* applies. Of course if you had to have Sunday Ticket, you wouldn't have a choice in the matter. I'm not concerned with the ballyhoo over D*'s rollout of its new HD channels. I'm disappointed that we can't get our local teams in HD through our RSN. I won't be happy if FiOS hasn't added TBS HD in time to see the MLB playoff games in HD. I'm interested to see what kind of presentation CNN will have in HD. We're lucky our local Gannett-owned CBS affiliate has their studio news in HD (although field reports use WS SD cams). Some people think news in HD is not a big deal but I disagree. I know everybody wants as much HD content as possible, but based on what I've seen, I'm pretty happy with the quantity and quality I get on FiOS. They do need to roll out HD VOD ASAP.

Oh, yeah, the IMG is an unmitigated disaster IMO. But it doesn't affect me that much given my viewing habits. I've never utilized the DVR to its fullest potential, I'll admit.

In short, my recommendation would be to drop D* in a heartbeat.
post #3989 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with FiOS-TV tech support to verify what I am about to say and the CSR confirmed my understanding of this feature. If anyone knows more about this than the CSR please speak-up and inform me because I just have a hard time believing the software programmers did this:
1. Under FIOS-TV (with IMG) settings, in the Audio section, you are supposed to be able to adjust the Volume of the STB. The sub is supposed to be able to change the volume via the FiOS remote to change the STB or the TV.
2. I set the STB volume to 55 and exited to live TV.
3. I made a significant volume change using the remote. The TV itself changed the volume.
4. I returned to the Audio section of the FiOS STB settings and found the value still at the original value of 55.
5. The CSR said that is correct. To change the volume using the STB, one has to go deep into the FiOS settings menu and make the change and then exit back to live TV. Every single time.
6. I asked the CSR if she would use that method to change her volume and she said "probably not". YA think! Unbelievable!
post #3990 of 18258 Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

To change the STB volume with the remote you need to find the remote manual and there is a code to have the remote control the STB volume and not the TV volume.

Quote:

I just got off the phone with FiOS-TV tech support to verify what I am about to say and the CSR confirmed my understanding of this feature. If anyone knows more about this than the CSR please speak-up and inform me because I just have a hard time believing the software programmers did this:
1. Under FIOS-TV (with IMG) settings, in the Audio section, you are supposed to be able to adjust the Volume of the STB. The sub is supposed to be able to change the volume via the FiOS remote to change the STB or the TV.
2. I set the STB volume to 55 and exited to live TV.
3. I made a significant volume change using the remote. The TV itself changed the volume.
4. I returned to the Audio section of the FiOS STB settings and found the value still at the original value of 55.
5. The CSR said that is correct. To change the volume using the STB, one has to go deep into the FiOS settings menu and make the change and then exit back to live TV. Every single time.
6. I asked the CSR if she would use that method to change her volume and she said "probably not". YA think! Unbelievable!

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page