6Likes

post #451 of 18257 Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Verizon could actually put Cox Cable out of business here in Fairfax County if they market this right.

Before even considering this I believe Verizon needs to get this rolled out throughout fairfax county first. :P Most of Northern Va. still doesn't have fios tv available unfortunately. I've had fios internet since late spring/early summer in mclean, and am eagerly awaiting fios tv. I never even bothered signing up for directv's hd package since it has such few channels, and cox is/was so overpriced. At this point I'd be happy just to have fios tv service. Directv's PQ on SD really looks horrible, although at least I have OTA to tide me over till fios finally rolls out here...

EDIT: Woohoo!! LOL I just tried verizon's website and it says it's available now in my area! Ironic how I just said it wasn't available and it must've just been added in the last few days. I guess I'll be signing up on Monday! Goodbye Directv!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Verizon must be making good progress or most of their reps don't know what they're talking about since all of them said early March for availability and like Mikeoz above it's finally available on my street (it was not 2 days ago).

The web site says they'll waive the install fee for the first 3 existing outlets - what does that mean?
post #453 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Adams View Post

Well, after two weeks of fighting Verizon, finally watching FIOS-TV right now. The latest comedy of errors was when I managed to get the problem where they were refusing to allow me to set up an install because of "franchise issues" resolved. Got someone fairly high up, and he resolved it extremely quickly. Couple hours later on Wednesday, I get a phone call asking "Is this Saturday okay for you to be available for a FIOS-TV install?"

Then on Friday someone called and said they needed a "video light hub check" for my install tomorrow, and transferred me to someone else. That person said that my install wasn't until the 11th of Feb. In the process of trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I was then told that Verizon does not do video installs on Saturdays. Despite the fact that my original install, before it was canceled, was for last Saturday, then for this Saturday and the install date in their computers was a Saturday. Spoke with the same person that resolved the original issue, and a few minutes later I had an install for earlier today.

Install took about 8 hours. All the cables were lying right in front of where the boxes were going, so it should have been one of the quickest installs they could do. Then two of the boxes were bad. It took several hours for them to figure that out. The guy had an extra in his truck, and that took about two hours of resetting before it would recognize the digital channels. Then he had to wait an hour for another tech that had another box in his truck to come by. All in all, definitely evidence that they still have a lot of kinks to work out. When two out of three boxes are bad, and then a replacement box takes two hours of constant resetting to get to work...

But after watching it for a few minutes, it's obvious all the effort to just get an install was well worth it. Going from D* to this, the video quality is amazing. Just for SD alone, FIOS makes D* look like the really, really low quality Internet streaming video that it is. HD is beautiful, and I'm getting almost twice as many HD channels as I was with D*. Only complaint is the only HD channel I watch with regularity, HDNet, is MIA.

I do miss the Tivo interface already though. Given D* ended their partnership with Tivo quite a while ago, it really doesn't matter. But going from my old DTivo to the Microsoft interface definitely makes one realize just how innovative and well-designed Tivo's menus and whatnot are. But that's a small price to pay for this stunning PQ and not having to worry that my provider will stop adding HD channels because they don't have anymore room.

The install tech actually mentioned that right now, over a 6mhz channel 12 SD channels can be fit on each one. Verizon is limiting that to 5 SD channels, obviously meaning that they have already set aside ALL of their bandwidth envisioning the day that every channel is HD. If that isn't proof enough of just how superior FIOS is to their competitors, I don't know what is.

Glad to hear that you, and everyone else who has FIOS, is really happy with the picture quality. Please explain the last paragraph of your post above - I'm not sure I follow what you mean about V already having set aside all of their bandwidth.
post #454 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know what's happening in New Jersey? I know V pulled the statewide bill and was supposed to reintroduce it, and I also know they have started to apply to a few local municipalities directly.

I WANT FIOS TV ASAP!!!
post #455 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

Sleuth replaced Trio. Here's the announcement by NBC Universal.

No dice. Nothing but "???"
Incidentally, the pdf of the Fairfax County listings is not up to date. Just in the last several days they have added channels 61 (ESPN Classic), 63 (ESPNU) and 65 (Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic).
This just in: I just received an email from Mark Cuban saying that we SHOULD have both and that they (I assume HDNet and Verizon) are working out a few details on blackout coverage. And then the most reassuring part of his reply: "I will follow up for you." After getting the service and realizing that HDNet was not a part of our package, I wrote Mark last Wednesday (1/25) and asked for his help. I didn't hear anything so figured I would try contacting him through the Dallas Mavs website. How's that for action? Hey, I'm just a regular Joe and this guy responds by return email? That just blows me away.
In conclusion, I think Verizon is probably erring on the side of caution. I have officially been told by Verizon re provision of HDNet "sometime later in 2006." Undoubtedly Mark's reference to the "blackout coverage" refers to HDNet's contract with the NHL. This is Washington Capitals home territory and the Caps games on HDNet are blacked out here. The same situation would prevail down in Florida with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Verizon is also telling folks down there "sometime in 2006." The one market that does currently have
HDNet--Dallas--would be immune from blackouts because HDNet could show them locally. Maybe I'm misapplying the rule vis-a-vis the Dallas situation. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. All in all, sounds like we should be getting HDNet sooner rather than later.

bill that's great!!! i read an interview with Mark Cuban in S&V mag. and he's a very hands-on businessman-and by his own admission does EVERYTHING by e-mail. you picked the perfect medium to contact him.
i think you're right-blackout issues. i recall that Rangers games on HDnet have been blackedout here in the past. i don't understand why Vz is having issues with this & not other providers but it looks like it'll be resolved soon.
good sign they've added CSN-Mid-Atlantic. now they need to get the HD ch.
continue to enjoy your FiOS TV!!!!!

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #456 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Okay I've asked a few people and finally got some answers. Oh Billodom about your local channels I didn't intend to say that you would get them all but was more saying that what you do have access to will be no extra charge. For example in the Tampa market Verizon offers PBS HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, CBS HD, FOX HD and WB HD. They don't offer UPN HD but they will soon from what I hear. Also what is funny is that our local WB station doesn't even offer a decent full power digital feed OTA and they are owned by Sinclair but they have a deal with Verizon for their HD feed. If only BHN would add that WB station now.

Now onto the HDNet issue and the answer to this is indeed blackout issues as the hardware and computer systems Verizon bought for these purposes just doesn't seem to work very well. They are keeping HDNet off the system until they can get an automated system to handle those blackouts. Because this only needs to be done with certain games they would rather not have a tech having to hit a switch because if that doesn't get done after the game ends than it will stay blacked out until they catch it. They also need this in place for other sports related channels such as ESPN among others as some sporting events have deals with a local channel so if they are shown on ESPN for example the ESPN must be blacked out for those games. This is rare but the system must be in place and be used or getting these programming agreements might be a tad bit harder if you catch my drift. The bright side of this is that the system doesn't need to be as complex as the blackouts are done locally on local systems whereas DirecTV and Dish must have more complex systems that can do this via zip codes for tons and tons of games because nothing is local as its a national satellite signal.

To finish this off the last I've heard is to expect HDNet to be offered in "all" markets that have FIOS TV service available now and in the future starting around March if not earlier.
post #457 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornXP View Post

Expanded basic gets you all other national HD channels such as ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, HDNet, TNT HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD, Wealth HD, NGC HD, MTV HD, Food Network HD, HGTV HD among others. Expanded Basic also gets you your local channels HD feeds as well.

I hope this gives you the information you wanted.

I just picked up Fios TV here in Flower Mound. Not seeing NCG, MTV, Food, HGTV feeds in HD. Where are you seeing these? What channels?

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #458 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

They don't appear on the Verizon line-up card either.

810-TNT HDTV

811-ESPN HDTV

812-ESPN 2 HDTV

814-NFL Network HDTV

817-HD Net

818-HD Net Movies

819-Universal HDTV

820-Discovery HDTV

821-Wealth TV HD
post #459 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornXP View Post

...the last I've heard is to expect HDNet to be offered in "all" markets that have FIOS TV service available now and in the future starting around March if not earlier.

Thanks for the info, 'XP, and that helpful explanation about the blackout situation. Based on your knowledge, I have deleted my signature asking subscribers to call Verizon and ask for HDNet. As a matter of fact, I am adopting a "glass half full" stance in looking at the current lineup. As I said in a previous post, I really am walking around pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I find myself surfing through all the channels and marveling at how watchable the SD is. It really is that good. If this is the future of content providers, it looks very bright.

I do miss seeing Katie Daryl's pretty face on HDNet, however .

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

I just picked up Fios TV here in Flower Mound. Not seeing NCG, MTV, Food, HGTV feeds in HD. Where are you seeing these? What channels?

I viewed LonghornXP's comments as being prophetic in nature, that is, looking beyond the present to a future reality.
post #460 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

But at least in those three areas--Programming, Reception Hardware and Recorders. I nominate this thread for the Programming sticky.

I've merged the two main topics in the HDTV Programming forum, into this one. Let me know if there are others that should also be merged.

Topics in HDTV Locals will remain unaffected.

Is there an HDTV recorder available for FiOS service?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #461 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken,

Verizon is using the Motorola QIP6416 HD-DVR.
post #462 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

Ken,

Verizon is using the Motorola QIP6416 HD-DVR.

Thanks. I'll see what topics exist in the Recorders forum, and combine and stick.

post #463 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FiOS Master Hardware & Install Topic

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=621323

post #464 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FiOS Master 6416 DVR topic

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=617635

post #465 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Adams View Post

The install tech actually mentioned that right now, over a 6mhz channel 12 SD channels can be fit on each one. Verizon is limiting that to 5 SD channels, obviously meaning that they have already set aside ALL of their bandwidth envisioning the day that every channel is HD. If that isn't proof enough of just how superior FIOS is to their competitors, I don't know what is.

And THAT'S what we don't get, and more than likely never will, from D*. Bring it on FIOS!!!
post #466 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It would be appreciated if members listed the HD programming available in their area.

post #467 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A couple of older FiOS topics have been merged.

post #468 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It would be appreciated if members listed the HD programming available in their area.

North Texas (DFW area) receives the following:

Locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, UPN, WB, station KDFI)

TNT-HD

ESPN-HD

ESPN2-HD

NFLNet-HD

HDNet-HD

HDNet Movies-HD

Universal-HD

Discovery-HD

Wealth-HD

HBO-HD

Cinemax-HD

Showtime-HD

The Movie Channel-HD

Starz-HD

local NBC affiliate 24 hour news/weather/radar digital

So, that's 23 total being carried at this time, although I can get OTA already anyway.

However, on that topic, the service techs (who BTW were great guys) said that I cannot combine the OTA signal from the antenna on the same coax and that I'd have to run another cable if I wanted that, plus have a separate tuner box or an onboard built-in tuner for OTA. Also, the signal that travels through the Fios runs at such a high bandwidth that ordinary cable splitters get fried and literally melt. Ouch!

post #469 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I've merged the two main topics in the HDTV Programming forum, into this one. Let me know if there are others that should also be merged.

Topics in HDTV Locals will remain unaffected.

Is there an HDTV recorder available for FiOS service?

Thanks, Ken. This should make it easier for us to spread the gospel. I hope I can help others in areas where Verizon is struggling to get franchise agreements by providing some detailed information on how great this service is. The officials who are thinking "it's just another service" need to know that it's not. It's MUCH better than the same thing.

post #470 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I can't even get FIOS internet yet, let alone TV. It's only available in one Maryland county so far but they are just getting started. So I'll try to be patient.

Nice how they are able to add these HD channels even though they don't have an HD tier, unlike a certain major cable company.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #471 of 18257 Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

Please explain the last paragraph of your post above - I'm not sure I follow what you mean about V already having set aside all of their bandwidth.

The install tech said that over each 6mhz channel, the industry norm apparently is that you can fit 12 standard def, digital channels on each one. However, instead of doing that, they are only allocating 5 standard def, digital channels.

Now while he didn't say as such, the only reason I could imagine that they'd do something that drastic, using only 5/12 of the available space on each 6mhz channel is because they are "saving" room for the day when HD channels are the norm. Instead of using every last inch of their available bandwidth and getting as much SD as they can on each 6mhz channel, then doing what some other providers have done and say "Hey, what do we do with all this extra bandwidth?" and being SOL when more and more HD channels arose... They are looking ahead and setting all the extra bandwidth aside so that when every channel is in HD, they won't have to downconvert and over-compress the HD to be able to carry everything.

Hopefully that clarified my previous statement.
post #472 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 04:31 AM

Han anyone in Indiana inquired about Fios tv being available here (Indy area)? Or has anyone read anything regarding that? I have found the website to not be so helpful in this regard.
post #473 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, the signal that travels through the Fios runs at such a high bandwidth that ordinary cable splitters get fried and literally melt. Ouch!

Horse s$#t!

The Verizon ONT uses the same 870 MHz that any upgraded cable system uses.
post #474 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

Check this one out. IF this is true this is going to be HUGE.

Fios to carry every HD channell available?

I wish I lived in a FIOS area.

http://www.******.com/db23p

Put url and 123 together for the domain name above.

David if I wanted to post it here I would have, but it is copyrighted work. Please stop the double standards.

Scott,

I'm a dumb a$$. Can you be just a little less cryptic with the link?
post #475 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

Horse s$#t!

The Verizon ONT uses the same 870 MHz that any upgraded cable system uses.

I think that sums up my initial reaction when he said that, but he refused to connect my OTA antenna into the cable system. I guess I can reintroduce myself and see if it works okay.

post #476 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

Scott,

I'm a dumb a$$. Can you be just a little less cryptic with the link?

Better PM him on that one since the post goes back to September.

post #477 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but he refused to connect my OTA antenna into the cable system.

On this point they were correct, you can't mix CATV and OTA on the same cable, but nothing is going to melt
post #478 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

"FiOS TV, which launched Sept. 22 in Keller, Texas, will carry the broad portfolio of Scripps Networks' content - HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, FINE LIVING, Great American Country (GAC) and Shop at Home - as well as video-on-demand programming. FiOS TV also will carry Scripps Networks' new high-definition networks, HGTV-HD and Food Network-HD, which will be launched in early 2006."

From the following: http://newscenter.verizon.com/proact....vtml?id=92910

post #479 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well called them up and unforunately there's about a 2 week wait till I will be getting it installed. I guess they are pretty busy doing installs. They don't do weekend installs, correct? Getting off of work will be a pita.

Edit: Well I called them back and unfortunately no weekend installs.. What makes things worse is the install window is 8 hrs, so I don't know when I'll be able to get this installed. Pretty irritating considering the install shouldn't take more than 2-3 hrs at the very most, since rg6 is already run throughout the house, and I already have fios internet.
post #480 of 18257 Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Well called them up and unforunately there's about a 2 week wait till I will be getting it installed. I guess they are pretty busy doing installs. They don't do weekend installs, correct? Getting off of work will be a pita.

Edit: Well I called them back and unfortunately no weekend installs.. What makes things worse is the install window is 8 hrs, so I don't know when I'll be able to get this installed. Pretty irritating considering the install shouldn't take more than 2-3 hrs at the very most, since rg6 is already run throughout the house, and I already have fios internet.

You should try not to be too irritated. Adjust your schedule accordingly and just be patient. I have yet to see any complaints that Verizon didn't show up as scheduled, unlike what happens with a lot of D* and cable contractors. These guys are blowing and going, plus Verizon is sending many of them to classes at night, too. It's worth waiting on.

They are providing three windows of four hours each day. 9-1, 1-5 or 5-9 in this area. The install at my place took from 1:30 until 7:30, but I needed the line buried underground, had both internet and TV installed at the same time and they ran into trouble because the cable wiring in my home was a little screwy. There is significantly more to it that connecting your cable.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page