Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #4861 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How 'bout going to straight to the horses mouth instead of that hack.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-fivefold.html

NEW YORK - Verizon FiOS TV customers will get even more of the high-definition content they love as Verizon today announced plans for a fivefold increase in the number of HD channels, to 150 channels, as well as plans for offering additional HD content through FiOS TV's video-on-demand service. Verizon is also planning a major expansion of sports and multicultural programming on FiOS TV in 2008.

"Once more, Verizon leads the way," said Shawn Strickland, vice president - video solutions. "We launched FiOS TV in 2005 with more HD than most cable and satellite companies, and we know that our HD customers expect us to continue that lead. We're planning a major initiative in 2008 that will give our customers an unprecedented choice of HD and other programming."

Verizon customers already enjoy the most amazing picture quality available over the nation's most advanced digital all-fiber optic network.

In the spring of 2008, Verizon will begin expanding its HD lineup as well as the sports and multicultural program offerings on FiOS TV. Verizon initially will double the current number of HD channels, on a market-by-market basis, to more than 60, including additional sports channels. Verizon expects to have more than 150 HD channels by year-end 2008 as it continues to add to its HD lineup and programmers launch new channels. The company also will add standard-definition sports, multicultural and other programming during the year.

True HD Experience

Because Verizon offers FiOS TV on its fiber-to-the-home network, Verizon has the capacity to provide HD programming without compressing the signal it receives from the programmers.

"FiOS TV delivers a true HD experience," Strickland said. "Unlike some other service providers, Verizon doesn't compromise quality by compressing programming into limited bandwidth. Our fiber-optic network has the capacity to deliver programming the way programmers intended it to be seen."

In addition to the expanded HD channel lineup, Verizon will offer HD programming through its industry-leading video-on-demand library, which already totals more than 10,000 titles. Before the end of 2007, Verizon expects to introduce a limited number of HD on-demand titles, which will increase to more than 1,000 HD titles in 2008.

During 2008, Verizon also will expand the reach of HD programming throughout the home. Through enhancements to the Verizon-exclusive Home Media DVR service, customers will be able to record HD shows and watch them from any room in the house with an HDTV and an HD set-top box.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Thats great news. I've been hesitant to place my order for FIOS TV, I just hope they don't start pushing the date further and further out
post #4863 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM

If they've got a way in for MLB Extra Innings... they're going to get my business.
post #4864 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The good news is that I was able to receive confirmation today that a few new HD channels will be added before the end of 2007. There will be an announcement on that soon but I was not given a specific date. I was also not able to confirm whether they were national channels or RSN's but my guess is thatb they will be the Discovery networks discussed previously. The real push will be in the spring. Nevertheless, this news is still better than a stick in the eye.
post #4865 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! A real conundrum! Wait until they add HD and fix their crumy DVR or buy a TivoHD to use instead or jump ship back to D* and their HD lineup and their brand DVR. What to do!? Anyone here come over from D* and their new DVR and lineup???
post #4866 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGJR View Post

News
Verizon: 150 HD Channels In 2008

I hope they do a better job adding the HD then they did changing the IMG.
post #4867 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

The good news is that I was able to receive confirmation today that a few new HD channels will be added before the end of 2007. There will be an announcement on that soon but I was not given a specific date. I was also not able to confirm whether they were national channels or RSN's but my guess is thatb they will be the Discovery networks discussed previously. The real push will be in the spring. Nevertheless, this news is still better than a stick in the eye.

Stick in the eye? Well, I guess that is one way to describe the IMG roll-out.

On dslreports, former Verizonman posted today that according to his contacts at Verizon that they will be adding a few more national HD channels in a few weeks. Discovery HD will be one of them. He also wrote that CSN MA HD will also finally be added in a few weeks as well to MD and Northern VA, longer for the "outlying" CSN MA territories (which I take to mean the rest of VA). These rumors/reports of a few more HD channels coming before the end of 2007 have been persistent. We will see what they add.
post #4868 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I hope they add SciFi HD.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4869 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 08:56 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got the IMG and can no longer get into the DVR option menu (not the IMG menu). I used to be able to get into the DVR menu (power off, press menu) to change the audio output i.e. LPCM, bitstream, etc.

Is there a different way to get into this menu or is it no longer available with the IMG upgrade?

TWD
post #4870 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I just got the IMG and can no longer get into the DVR option menu (not the IMG menu). I used to be able to get into the DVR menu (power off, press menu) to change the audio output i.e. LPCM, bitstream, etc.

Is there a different way to get into this menu or is it no longer available with the IMG upgrade?

The setup menu is still there, just an extra step needed. Turn the 6416 off, press Select, then press menu on the remote or front panel. Pressing Select twice still gets you to the Diagnostic menus.
post #4871 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

On dslreports, former Verizonman posted today that according to his contacts at Verizon that they will be adding a few more national HD channels in a few weeks. Discovery HD will be one of them. He also wrote that CSN MA HD will also finally be added in a few weeks as well to MD and Northern VA, longer for the "outlying" CSN MA territories (which I take to mean the rest of VA). These rumors/reports of a few more HD channels coming before the end of 2007 have been persistent. We will see what they add.

If that is true, FiOS can have up until 2009 to add the rest of the HD channels for all I care. I am trying to contain my excitement, even thought it is just a rumor.
post #4872 of 18258 Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:

He also wrote that CSN MA HD will also finally be added in a few weeks as well to MD and Northern VA, longer for the "outlying" CSN MA territories (which I take to mean the rest of VA).

Great! Just what I came here to find out. Thanks.

- Ahsan
post #4873 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He also wrote that CSN MA HD will also finally be added in a few weeks as well to MD and Northern VA, longer for the "outlying" CSN MA territories (which I take to mean the rest of VA).

Why only MD & NoVA?
Once they have it and can send it over optical, why can't they send it down the wire to the rest of VA - Richmond & Tidewater?
post #4874 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Why only MD & NoVA?
Once they have it and can send it over optical, why can't they send it down the wire to the rest of VA - Richmond & Tidewater?

Because we seem to always be the odd men out when it comes to Fios and HD(Hampton Roads lacks all the locals in HD still).

Really though, I believe it is a blackout issue. They are unable to do only regionalized blackouts(such as, might blacked out in DC/MD, but not here and vice versa). It has to do w/how they get and deliver the feed.
post #4875 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

According to Verizon's Gierczynski, "We expect that FSN Pittsburgh HD and Versus HD will be available by early next year as we continue to enhance our channel offerings."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07306/830377-238.stm

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #4876 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

Wow! A real conundrum! Wait until they add HD and fix their crumy DVR or buy a TivoHD to use instead or jump ship back to D* and their HD lineup and their brand DVR. What to do!? Anyone here come over from D* and their new DVR and lineup???

I am kind of in the same boat. Currently have DirecTV without HD and get my HD from local cable company (BELD - Braintree Electric Light Department). BELD is very slow at adding HD, they still don't have ESPN2 or NFL Network like everyone else. I want to switch everything to FIOS or everything to DirecTV...but cannot decide which way to go.

Go with FIOS and deal with current glitches and their growing pains...but get great picture include their non-HD channels.

Stay with DTV and add HD. Will cost me $$ for three HD boxes unless retention will give me a good deal. Get locked in for another 2 yr. commitment. HD quality worse then FIOS? Average SD picture.

What to do, what to do? Anyone know if the new DTV HD channels are as compressed as they were before the new satellite?

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #4877 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

Because we seem to always be the odd men out when it comes to Fios and HD(Hampton Roads lacks all the locals in HD still).

Really though, I believe it is a blackout issue. They are unable to do only regionalized blackouts(such as, might blacked out in DC/MD, but not here and vice versa). It has to do w/how they get and deliver the feed.

i know man, i really want CW. but after Smallville this season, i probably won't have much reason to watch. i think it's the only show i watch on that channel.
post #4878 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stick in the eye? Well, I guess that is one way to describe the IMG roll-out.

On dslreports, former Verizonman posted today that according to his contacts at Verizon that they will be adding a few more national HD channels in a few weeks. Discovery HD will be one of them. .

I'm not going to fall for that rumor again......I just checked my guide 3 times in the last five minutes and NOTHING!!! I guess I'll keep checking

Quote:

I have my D* account suspended and am on the "fence" regarding which way to go. With FIOS I have RSN and great PQ on most stations. I am going to wait and see what happens over the next 4 month or so. Both services have their pluses and minuses.

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #4879 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinma View Post

I am kind of in the same boat. Currently have DirecTV without HD and get my HD from local cable company (BELD - Braintree Electric Light Department). BELD is very slow at adding HD, they still don't have ESPN2 or NFL Network like everyone else. I want to switch everything to FIOS or everything to DirecTV...but cannot decide which way to go.

Go with FIOS and deal with current glitches and their growing pains...but get great picture include their non-HD channels.

Stay with DTV and add HD. Will cost me $$ for three HD boxes unless retention will give me a good deal. Get locked in for another 2 yr. commitment. HD quality worse then FIOS? Average SD picture.

What to do, what to do? Anyone know if the new DTV HD channels are as compressed as they were before the new satellite?

The way I've heard it, there are two flavors of DTV HD:

1. The pre-existing DTV HD channels are MPEG2, and include ESPN, ESPN2, HDNET, HBO (east), etc...

2. The newly added HD channels, which are MPEG4, including SciFi, etc.

The MPEG2 are talked about as HD lite, are bit starved and provide noticeably worse picture quality (PQ) than the MPEG4, which are very close to over the air (OTA). OTA is the highest quality possible, as it's broadcast without compression.

Some people have done measurements in other forums which show that the MPEG4 DTV channels, although high quality, are doing some compression. This may not show up on your HD TV, depending on the size of the screen.

The MPEG2 channels are not going to be transitioned soon to MPEG4, maybe not until the next DTV satellite goes up. This means that for the short term (don't know when the next satellite goes up) channels like ESPN, ESPN2 and HDNET, which are some of my favorites, will remain in HD lite.

FIOS HD channels are uncompressed, so you get OTA quality in both HD and SD. I get HDNET, ESPN... in very high quality. I also get the local channels in that quality. I notice you're from Mass, so I can tell you that I've become hooked on Channel 5's Chronicle program since it's done in HD. NESN (New England Sports Channel) is also on FIOS HD.

I faced the same issue with DTV (5 years as a customer), I had 3 DirectTivo boxes and talked to DTV about upgrading. They didn't make much of an effort to cut down on the expenses, and I couldn't take the extra fees they leveraged on HD customers which FIOS doesn't have.

I'll be patient and ride it out with FIOS. The glitches don't outweigh the great quality, I get the HD channels I want (I like sports) and the customer service has been great.

My advice is to look at the channels you want to watch in HD, see which are in HD lite, which are in MPEG4, and make your decision.
post #4880 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

How much longer will it take? I want those eventual 150 HD channels!
post #4881 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

i know man, i really want CW. but after Smallville this season, i probably won't have much reason to watch. i think it's the only show i watch on that channel.

What bugs me is they had an agreement for it in place before even launching Fios in our area nearly a year ago and it is still not online. I do know they've run the fiber and worked in WGNT's studio, so they are working on it.

Of course today I turn on and we have 3 local PEGs w/colored bars on 45-47. And they show up on analog as well....isn't analog supposed to go away before long on Fios.
post #4882 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

How 'bout going to straight to the horses mouth instead of that hack.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-fivefold.html

NEW YORK - Verizon FiOS TV customers will get even more of the high-definition content they love as Verizon today announced plans for a fivefold increase in the number of HD channels, to 150 channels, as well as plans for offering additional HD content through FiOS TV's video-on-demand service.

Oh happy day! And more so that we don't have to listen to the incessant whining here over the FiOS rollout of additional HD channels.
post #4883 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM

For those of you served by the Philadelphia VHO (Yes South Jersey, that includes you), I have seen an indication that the IMG will be rolled out on or about the 13th. We've been given inserts about the IPG to include with the "NEW" Mercury FiOS TV Welcome Packets. We were told to use the inserts until the 13th.

BTW I found a memo today in my truck advising the field technicians of the new IMG rolling out in April ('07 that is).

-Jim

Got FiOS?
post #4884 of 18258 Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just posted your comment on the Phily Verizon thread with a link back to here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...792568&page=20
post #4885 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 AM

Two days without a post around here? Now that we have the facts from Verizon and don't have to rely on rumors, opinions and predictions of doom, is the crowd stunned into silence?
post #4886 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
What else is there to say until the channels either appear or don't appear by year's end?
post #4887 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071101/nyth108.html?.v=101

"Verizon FiOS TV customers will get even more of the high-definition content they love as Verizon today announced plans for a fivefold increase in the number of HD channels, to 150 channels, as well as plans for offering additional HD content through FiOS TV's video-on-demand service."

All the new HD channels just in time for the writers strike.
post #4888 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post

Two days without a post around here? Now that we have the facts from Verizon and don't have to rely on rumors, opinions and predictions of doom, is the crowd stunned into silence?

doom? you mean the people who say nothing much will happen for a while. I guess they've been proven correct.

as for the people who didn't want to wait and left, well, I don't blame them either.

now that we've been told in effect "wait til next year", not much left to say is there?
post #4889 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

doom? you mean the people who say nothing much will happen for a while. I guess they've been proven correct.

as for the people who didn't want to wait and left, well, I don't blame them either.

now that we've been told in effect "wait til next year", not much left to say is there?

I guess the rumors of the 4-Discovery HD channels ain't gonna' happen anytime soon?

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #4890 of 18258 Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Doom as in the demise of FiOS as everyone ditches them for D* and their bevy of HD selections.

Quote:

What about the positives?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page