AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post

What about the positives?

by this time next year, we'll probably have the hd channels D* has now. and the IMG will have different bugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

I guess the rumors of the 4-Discovery HD channels ain't gonna' happen anytime soon?

I don't see it that way. I think they may indeed add those 4 and a few others before the end of THIS year. I think they're trying to get the IMG roll-out and IMG fix done before they add those channels though. Some have been told by customer service that the 4 are expected within a month. There's no way to tell how reliable that information is. However, the announcement of 150 HD channels is certainly a good indication that such a thing might indeed happen sooner rather than later.
post #4893 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I was told by the Verizon press liason that there will be about 5 new HD channels added before the end on 2007.
post #4894 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldevns View Post

I don't see it that way. I think they may indeed add those 4 and a few others before the end of THIS year. I think they're trying to get the IMG roll-out and IMG fix done before they add those channels though. Some have been told by customer service that the 4 are expected within a month. There's no way to tell how reliable that information is.

The reports that a few more HD channels, consisting of Discovery HD and presumably the other Discovery channels, would be added this year have been persistent. I just did a QAM channel scan and found that a new QAM channel has been added at QAM 75. It is carrying two local stations in Northern VA, the MHz stations (WNVT-DT 30 and WNVC-DT 57) which have 8 unique SD sub-channels between them. There was nothing at QAM 75 a week ago.

MY previous scans found only 54 QAM channels, so this is consistent with bfdtv's posts that Verizon is adding equipment for additional QAM channels at the "older" COs. The limit is 63 QAMs for now until they yank the 40 analog channels (with the combined limit of 103 channels out of 135 until they upgrade all the COs and head ends). Some of the "extra" QAMs are used elsewhere for the dual set of HD locals and probably HD RSNs. If they can add 3 QAMs for national channels, for example, that gives them the room for 6 HD channels. I'll have to scan every few days to see if new QAM channels suddenly show up.

BTW, for those in the Washington Metro area, the four Ion channels are now at 891 to 894 and 7 Mhz sub-channels are at 912 to 918 (suggesting where they plan to move the SD broadcast sub-channels in the future?), but they are not shown in the guide.
post #4895 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

BTW, for those in the Washington Metro area, the four Ion channels are now at 891 to 894 and 7 Mhz sub-channels are at 912 to 918 (suggesting where they plan to move the SD broadcast sub-channels in the future?), but they are not shown in the guide.

Actually, Tivo just sent an updated channel listing out with all those local changes.

Is there a reason anyone would care about these new locals though?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #4896 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Is there a reason anyone would care about these new locals though?

There are people who watch the Ion network. The MHz channels carry overseas programming, so if you want to catch up on the news in Russia in Russian or watch programs in Japanese, you can do that.

BTW, Verizon has added a CBS folder to the Broadcast Primetime folder to go with NBC and Sci-Fi on the VOD line-up. It has only 1 program, the most recent CSI episode, at the moment. The Sci-Fi folder also has only 1 program, a Ghost Hunters episode. Presumably these are placeholders for adding adding more material for other series and episodes soon. Have to check periodically to see if a ABC, Fox, USA or other folders are added. These are all SD, so they are not of much use to me until Verizon adds HD VOD.
post #4897 of 18270 Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are people who watch the Ion network. The MHz channels carry overseas programming, so if you want to catch up on the news in Russia in Russian or watch programs in Japanese, you can do that.

BTW, Verizon has added a CBS folder to the Broadcast Primetime folder to go with NBC and Sci-Fi on the VOD line-up. It has only 1 program, the most recent CSI episode, at the moment. The Sci-Fi folder also has only 1 program, a Ghost Hunters episode. Presumably these are placeholders for adding adding more material for other series and episodes soon. Have to check periodically to see if a ABC, Fox, USA or other folders are added. These are all SD, so they are not of much use to me until Verizon adds HD VOD.

USA has been there in the past, they had episodes of Monk and Psych during the summer seasons. I can't recall where they were, it was not under Broadcast Primetime though.
post #4898 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 AM

sorry if this has been covered but there are just way too many posts in this thread. we just got fios installed and while we are happy overall, we are not satisfied with the on demand content. specifically, it doesn't have all of the recent cbs shows like comcast did, and not in HD. does anyone know if they plan to expand their on demand lineup anytime soon?
post #4899 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmanas View Post

sorry if this has been covered but there are just way too many posts in this thread. we just got fios installed and while we are happy overall, we are not satisfied with the on demand content. specifically, it doesn't have all of the recent cbs shows like comcast did, and not in HD. does anyone know if they plan to expand their on demand lineup anytime soon?

Supposedly they are working on it
post #4900 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:

Is there any word on when they wil offer HD On demand? That is the only reason I have their HD STB. It is useless for me right now. I use 3 Series 3 tivos and 1 TiVoHD for everything else. I'm still curious what my billing will look like since I now have 8 cable cards and one HD STB. I thought their billing limit was 7 devices with each cable card being counted as one device.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4901 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Is there any word on when they wil offer HD On demand? That is the only reason I have their HD STB. It is useless for me right now. I use 3 Series 3 tivos and 1 TiVoHD for everything else. I'm still curious what my billing will look like since I now have 8 cable cards and one HD STB. I thought their billing limit was 7 devices with each cable card being counted as one device.

They are running a trial for those of us in Richmond and Hampton Roads. Can't tell you anything beyond that, but it works well.
post #4902 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

in fact Vz has expanded the HD VOD offerings here. programming from Fearnet added to the HD Trial folder, a few more pay HD movies, and now HBO-HD on demand. just three movies so far but i have to think they're getting closer to adding HD VOD in other markets.

my guess is they want to make absolutely sure HD VOD doesn't compromise internet speeds before making it widely available.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #4903 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just did a QAM channel scan and found that a new QAM channel has been added at QAM 75.

How do you do a "QAM channel scan"?

I have a Sony SAT-HD300 and a HR10-250 (both DirecTV receivers, both have an OTA digital tuner). Can I use either of these? You mentioned a Samsung ATSC/QAM tuner in your QAM analysis thread at DSL reports. Can I use either of these instead?
post #4904 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

How do you do a "QAM channel scan"?

I have a Sony SAT-HD300 and a HR10-250 (both DirecTV receivers, both have an OTA digital tuner). Can I use either of these? You mentioned a Samsung ATSC/QAM tuner in your QAM analysis thread at DSL reports. Can I use either of these instead?

I doubt if either DirecTV receiver have QAM capability. No reason for them to provide that. If your TV has a ATSC tuner, it may also do QAM. Most ATSC tuners also provide a clear QAM tuner capability. Hook up the Fios cable and do a digital QAM channel scan.

In my case, I have 2 Samsung STB ATSC/QAM tuners and a Sony HDD250 DVR which were brought for OTA reception. I've been using the newer Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner to do scans of the Fios signal because it can go up to QAM 135. My scan turns up a huge number of QAM sub-channels, some 450 now, from the 55 QAM channels that are currently active, so it is rather large set to plow through. Some 80 of those sub-channels are music channels, so these are not all TV channels.

I can only watch the clear channels which are the locals and the music channels. BTW, most of the HD DC stations are mapped to their broadcast channel: 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 7-2, and so on. All the national channels are encrypted so there is no picture for those. A cable card (or Fios box) is needed to get the encrypted channels (and a TV or box that can handle cable cards). If you want to do a scan, here is the latest breakdown I get here in northern VA, which appears to be the same elsewhere for the nationals while the locals are in the same 63 to 75+ block.

55-62: national SD channels
63-68: unencrypted local SD channels with Music Choice set on QAM 66
69-70: Not used
71-75: unencrypted local HD and SD channels
76-82: not used
83-94: national SD and HD channels (unencrypted Urge Radio channels on QAM 84)
95-102: not used
103-126: national SD and HD channels

It would be helpful if someone in the Mercer County, NJ area with the 14 HD locals were to do a QAM scan and report back here where the HD locals are and how many QAM channels they have total.
post #4905 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I thought their billing limit was 7 devices with each cable card being counted as one device.

I don't think it's as much of a billing issue as it is a equipment limitation issue. It may just be an unknowing CSR. There is a way to have more than 7 STB's without adding an additional ONT.

I know of a couple techs in South Jersey that have done upwards of 14 STB's with one ONT on a couple of occasions. (a Philadelphia sports figure in particular)

-Jim

Got FiOS?
post #4906 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought their billing limit was 7 devices with each cable card being counted as one device.

I have 8 CC's and a STB. The limit is in their ordering system, it's not a technical limit anywhere. They bought the ordering system, but built their own other systems.

The way around it is to tell them you want to drop a STB and add one other thing. Then when the tech calls to confirm, tell him what you really want.

This worked for me a couple of times now.

The theory on the reason is that having more than 7 (or some number of) VOD's at the same time would overload the ONT. But there are better ways to limit this, than to limit the number of devices I can have. Especially with CC's.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #4907 of 18270 Old 11-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

I have 8 CC's and a STB. The limit is in their ordering system, it's not a technical limit anywhere. They bought the ordering system, but built their own other systems.

The technical limit lies in the MOCA devices, any more than 7 then a NIM, low pass filter and most likely an amp need to be added to the system. Since the CC's aren't MOCA, you have no issue.

In my experience the problems with the ordering system usually ends up being the interface device that resides usually between the keyboard and the chair.

-Jim

Got FiOS?
post #4908 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

a question that's sort of offtopic:

i have the triple play, or so i thought, phone, fios tv and internet. my tv and internet bills are bundled together, but the phone bill comes in the mail. the first phone bill was $80! something about $10 voicemail, taxes surcharges etc... with no mention of the triple play discounts. everytime i call billing, i'm on hold for 20 minutes, then get transfered to their e-support team and so on. who should i call to get this sorted out and have all charges on one bill? also, i'm in hampton roads and have the fios premier with 1 SD box, 1 DVR, fios 5/2 internet and freedom essentials phone. I was told over the phone that with my triple play, i'd be paying ~$120 ($25 data/$55tv/$45phone - $15 triple play) doesn't quite seem that way with the $80 phone bill.
post #4909 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

i have the triple play, or so i thought, phone, fios tv and internet. my tv and internet bills are bundled together, but the phone bill comes in the mail. the first phone bill was $80! something about $10 voicemail, taxes surcharges etc... with no mention of the triple play discounts. everytime i call billing, i'm on hold for 20 minutes, then get transfered to their e-support team and so on. who should i call to get this sorted out and have all charges on one bill? also, i'm in hampton roads and have the fios premier with 1 SD box, 1 DVR, fios 5/2 internet and freedom essentials phone. I was told over the phone that with my triple play, i'd be paying ~$120 ($25 data/$55tv/$45phone - $15 triple play) doesn't quite seem that way with the $80 phone bill.

There is a billing inquiry number on the paper version of the bill - I believe page 2 call it and keep saying billing issue. Eventually you'll get to the correct person. I had to do this yesterday b/c something happened to my triple play bill that increased it. They promptly issued a credit.
post #4910 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebras23 View Post

There is a billing inquiry number on the paper version of the bill - I believe page 2 call it and keep saying billing issue. Eventually you'll get to the correct person. I had to do this yesterday b/c something happened to my triple play bill that increased it. They promptly issued a credit.

thanks man. you probably saved me an hour of waiting.
post #4911 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The IMG guide doesn't list the NASA landing tomorrow, but it's on HDNet's web site: http://hd.net/program_search_results...arch=both&ws=1
Wed, Nov 7 - 12:55 PM ET 9:55 AM PT
NASA on HDNet - LIVE! Space Shuttle Discovery STS-120 Landing

I setup a manual recording for 30 minutes. (DVR -> Add Recording -> manual recording). Note that if they wave-off the first attempt, the 2nd is about 90 minutes later.
post #4912 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

If you are not happy with the customer service you are receiving you should obtain the 800 # for the corporate headquarters in NY and call them. They will take your number down and have a supervisor call you back. When that is offered make sure you pin them down to a time frame for the supervisor calling you back. That should speed things along you will get the results you want.

Just make sure you have you bills in front of you when you make the call and also a list on complaints you want them to take care of.

Jim
post #4913 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

If you are not happy with the customer service you are receiving you should obtain the 800 # for the corporate headquarters in NY and call them. They will take your number down and have a supervisor call you back. When that is offered make sure you pin them down to a time frame for the supervisor calling you back. That should speed things along you will get the results you want.

Just make sure you have you bills in front of you when you make the call and also a list on complaints you want them to take care of.

Jim

thanks Jim.
post #4914 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Jim

Better yet, tell them you'd like to file a presidential complaint and you'd like to know how to go about it.

-Jim

Got FiOS?
post #4915 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I doubt if either DirecTV receiver have QAM capability.

Correct; they do not.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4916 of 18270 Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The DVR thought Ronin on HDNet was only an hour long! Zug!

Set to re-record for Sunday.
post #4917 of 18270 Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW...Discovery HD added on channel 846 here in S.Jersey....This is not HDT...YES!!!!!

This is ONE station i have been waiting for!!!!

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #4918 of 18270 Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

WOW...Discovery HD added on channel 846 here in S.Jersey....This is not HDT...YES!!!!!

This is ONE station i have been waiting for!!!!

DSCHD (846) was added today in most service areas and should be on all by Monday.
post #4919 of 18270 Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

DSCHD (846) was added today in most service areas and should be on all by Monday.

1. Yes, great news! We have it here in SE Virginia.
2. Now, the question is: How is the average FiOS customer supposed to know that it has been added since there is no message saying that the new channel has been added? Without this forum, I would not have known.
post #4920 of 18270 Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I see 846 here in Northern VA and it is listed in the TiVo guide. ALthough no program data yet.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page