post #541 of 18270 Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

In the DirecTV column, VH1 Classic is listed as "NO [it's not on FiOS]", but the FiOS column shows it on 176.

Thanks. I'll update. Would you guys rather see this list from Fios in alphabetical order or in channel order?

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 18270 Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Strange that I ordered FIOS TV a week ago (I already have their Internet) but was given a 2/23 install date.

Verizon emailed me the work order. The work order only mentions FiOS internet, nothing about TV.

The sales rep asked me all the right TV questions (how many tv's, what type of STBs, what programming packages, etc...). She also confirmed I qualified for both the internet and TV. My guess is they will come on Feb 15 but just install the internet, and the TV will come at a later date. Just a guess though.
post #543 of 18270 Old 02-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

Verizon emailed me the work order. The work order only mentions FiOS internet, nothing about TV.

The sales rep asked me all the right TV questions (how many tv's, what type of STBs, what programming packages, etc...). She also confirmed I qualified for both the internet and TV. My guess is they will come on Feb 15 but just install the internet, and the TV will come at a later date. Just a guess though.

both were installed at the same call here. took about 6 total hours.

post #544 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

Thanks. I'll update. Would you guys rather see this list from Fios in alphabetical order or in channel order?

Digital, I think in alphabetical order for most who don't have it and don't know the channel numbers.
post #545 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Not strange. Took me three weeks to get it after calling. Popular. Crews outstripped by demand. Be patient. It's well worth it.

One of the problems (according to my cable guy who was in on a repair), is that often the FIOS guys do only one install per day. According to him, FIOS is union and my particular cable operation isn't. That means the cable guys do several installs per day wheeras many times the FIOS guys don't. Add to that the fact that the average FIOS installation time (again according to this guy) is about 5 hours. He said 'good luck' to that install time saying it will take them years to recoup these labor costs.

How factual these comments were I don't know and how much they were colored by jealousy or genuine concern for the future of cable, I also don't know.
post #546 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

One of the problems (according to my cable guy who was in on a repair), is that often the FIOS guys do only one install per day. According to him, FIOS is union and my particular cable operation isn't. That means the cable guys do several installs per day wheeras many times the FIOS guys don't. Add to that the fact that the average FIOS installation time (again according to this guy) is about 5 hours. He said 'good luck' to that install time saying it will take them years to recoup these labor costs.

How factual these comments were I don't know and how much they were colored by jealousy or genuine concern for the future of cable, I also don't know.

I can tell you that the installer who came out to my place twice (once for Internet/phone, then for TV) was doing multiple installs each day. He also mentioned they were working 60-hours weeks. Neither install took nearly 5 hours.

Sounds like the cable guy was full of it.
post #547 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Just for a heads up.. there definetly seems to be some confusion over at verizon...

When I called at the end of last month I was given an install date of Feb. 14. I called today to double check the isntall date and they said it's Feb. 9th! Thankfully I won't be working this thursday otherwise that would have been quite irritating. I am 100% sure that the woman originally quoted me the 14th, and I wrote it down. Just a heads up in case maybe they move your install date as well. It might be worth calling and checking ahead of time.

The other strange thing is how the woman I spoke w/ initially seemed sort of new/clueless. She originally quoted me that it would be an 8 hr window, but today the guy I spoke w/ said my install would be a 4 hr window. He said to call the night before the installation to see which time slot I'm scheduled for.

The good news however is that I will be getting fios tv earlier than expected. No complaints there.
post #548 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM

I second that heads up about the confusion at Verizion. I called at the end of January and was given an install date of Feb 13th. I called back today to confirm and they did not even have my order in the system. They entered it and my new install date is Feb 15th.

I had the same problems with the Internet install. They missed two install dates.
post #549 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060207/nytu128.html?.v=44

"HULMEVILLE, Pa., Feb. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- The Bucks County borough of Hulmeville Monday night (Feb. 6) launched a new era in cable choice for Pennsylvanians, thanks to a unanimous Borough Council vote authorizing Verizon to offer its fiber-optic-powered FiOS TV."

So much for the Hummelstown/Hershey area being the first in PA.

At least now, I think, the question will be anwered about Comcast SportsNet availability in the Philadelphia area.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #550 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

both were installed at the same call here. took about 6 total hours.

Ditto here. No reason for two visits.
post #551 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post

Ditto here. No reason for two visits.

The main reason I am questioning it is my work order (emailed me) only lists the FiOS internet installation, nothing about the FiOS TV installation.
post #552 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All seems to be on track for my install - I called Verizon and they still show my TV install for 1-5PM on 2/23.

I don't know about the union issue, but I know during my Internet install they only spent about 1hr on the install itself and about another 1hr out in the street chatting with the rest of the crew in the area - 3 vehicles, 4-5 people. I guess that offsets some of the more difficult installs when they get stuck working longer than expected. They may have scheduled a 1-5 install for TV but if they're not done in an hour something is wrong.
post #553 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody here know what Make/Model Verizon is providing for their standard (non-hd) STB?

What I would like to do is connect the standard STB to a standalone (non-D*) Tivo unit, probably a Tivo Series 2 unit.
post #554 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

post #555 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Last night Verizon turned on the new MTV music channel.
Its channel 823. Concerts in HD with DD 5.1 sound!
post #556 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

Does anybody here know what Make/Model Verizon is providing for their standard (non-hd) STB?

What I would like to do is connect the standard STB to a standalone (non-D*) Tivo unit, probably a Tivo Series 2 unit.

Motorola QIP2500

post #557 of 18270 Old 02-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Digital, I think in alphabetical order for most who don't have it and don't know the channel numbers.

Done.

Here's the link, for those who don't scroll back:

http://mysite.verizon.net/ress6c9s/

post #558 of 18270 Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 AM

digital_dilemma:

I just took a look at your chart, but I've got a question. On one side you show that WAPA America (D* channel 414) IS available on FIOS but it's not on the other chart. Can you confirm if WAPA America is really available on FIOS? That's one of the channels we watch regularly on D* and one of the reasons I still haven't decided on dropping D* (and the lack of MLB EI, but I know that MIGHT be soon available on FiOS).

Mikey_C
post #559 of 18270 Old 02-08-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Verizon: Bills, Franchise, Launch

By Linda Haugsted, Karen Brown & David Cohen 2/7/2006 7:32:00 PM

Verizon Communications Inc. received good news in three states.

Virginia's Senate and House of Delegates Monday approved bills to speed market entry into the multichannel-video business by telephone companies there.

The small community of Hulmerville, Pa., became the first in the state to grant the regional Bell operating company a franchise to offer TV service using its FiOS fiber-to-the-home network.

And Verizon FiOS TV debuted in Beaumont, Calif., Tuesday, with the telco saying it will begin taking orders immediately in the city with a population of 21,000.

Finally, Verizon said Tuesday that it applied for video franchises in seven Rhode Island communities: Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, North Kingstown, Warwick, West Greenwich and West Warwick.

In Virginia, telephone companies supported a regulatory framework that will compel cities to act on a local franchising request in a timely manner. Unlike in other states, Verizon did not seek statewide operating authority because Virginia's constitution guarantees franchising rights to local governments.

The bills would force local governments to issue a franchise in 120 days. Franchises would last for 15 years and a telco would pay a fee of 5% of revenue or the lowest franchise fee paid by an incumbent within the area the telco also serves.

Terms under which the telco operates are to be "commensurate" with the terms applied to the incumbent operator.

The bills would also let communities require buildout commitments: They could require new entrants to serve 65% of eligible residents in a franchise area within seven years and 80% in 10 years.

The bills were both approved by resounding majorities: 37-1 in the Senate and 85-12 in the House. The chambers now swap bills for reconciliation before they would head to Gov. Tim Kaine's desk.

"Instead of the typical six months to two years required to negotiate franchises under current law, this legislation will accelerate to a matter of weeks the period from upgrading the network to offering competitive cable products," Verizon Virginia president Robert Woltz Jr. said in a prepared statement:

As far as Hulmerville, the town's Borough Council voted unanimously Monday to approve a 15-year TV franchise allowing Verizon to offer its Verizon FiOS TV service to its 885 residents. Hulmerville is located just north of Philadelphia in Comcast Corp.'s cable territory.

Verizon plans to roll out FiOS TV service there later this year.

Initially launched in Keller, Texas, in September, Verizon FiOS TV offers more than 330 channels. Since September, Verizon has expanded the service rollout to areas surrounding Keller, as well as parts of northern Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, New York and California.

Hulmerville is the first entry point for FiOS TV in Pennsylvania, and Verizon officials said they are negotiating other franchise agreements to expand its rollout in the Keystone State.

Verizon will also sell its FiOS high-speed-Internet service in Hulmerville, offering connection speeds ranging from 5 megabits per second to 30 mbps downstream and as much as 5 mbps upstream. The Internet service is already being offered elsewhere in Buck County, as well as parts of Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #560 of 18270 Old 02-08-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
They install my FiOS tomorrow afternoon, and I'll be pulling the plug on Comcast. Hope it's worth it. The people here that I asked seemed to think that it is.
post #561 of 18270 Old 02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

They install my FiOS tomorrow afternoon, and I'll be pulling the plug on Comcast. Hope it's worth it. The people here that I asked seemed to think that it is.

Congrats!

post #562 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought it was a simple matter of switching the cable feed into the house from Comcast to the Verizon FiOS box, and plugging a NIM (for the channel guide) into my FiOS router, but it's more complex than that. They told me they'll have to run a coax line into the house/attic and then down into the room where my FiOS Internet connection is and connect it to the NIM (which will be plugged into a power source and into an Ethernet jack in my D-Link router), then run the line from the NIM back up into the attic and connect it to the coax line going to my TV. I'm taking off work to be there so I see what they're doing and guide them through the attic and help them with the logistics.
post #563 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I have read this doesn't sound right. The NIM, which is for upstream communication, not the guide, just needs to be connected to a coax and the router, not in any particular location. If you previously had a cable modem this should not be an issue as the lines should be in place.
post #564 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

True. In my case I have a single coax running from the ONT to a structured wiring hub where all of my ethernet, phone, and coax cables come together. The installer simply added the NIM, connected it to the D-Link router, and then plugged it into the splitter that takes the ONT/NIM connections and splits them to the STBs around the house.

I believe there are cases where this installation is much more complicated. If you, for instance, do not have a structured wiring hub then the installer will likely have to run a coax from your router location back to where he ends up putting the splitter.
post #565 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

True. In my case I have a single coax running from the ONT to a structured wiring hub where all of my ethernet, phone, and coax cables come together. The installer simply added the NIM, connected it to the D-Link router, and then plugged it into the splitter that takes the ONT/NIM connections and splits them to the STBs around the house.

I believe there are cases where this installation is much more complicated. If you, for instance, do not have a structured wiring hub then the installer will likely have to run a coax from your router location back to where he ends up putting the splitter.

I have a coax(?) line going from my garage (FiOS box) through my attic, down an outside wall by my office, and then into the house for the FiOS jack, and that is where I connect my D-Link router for my Internet.

I have another coax line going from my garage through the attic and joined to a splitter in the attic, which sends a Comcast cable TV signal to 2 rooms - TV and kitchen. The house is wired for 5 rooms/TVs, but we only have 2 TVs so I switched the 5-way splitter for a 2-signal splitter - also because the HD signal wasn't always stable.

I don't know what a ONT is or what a structured wiring hub is.

Also, a guy at LensCrafters said he has FiOS Internet and TV and they did something so he can use a wireless keyboard and access his Internet from his TV. But when I talked with Verizon, they didn't seem to know what he or I was talking about. Any idea what this is?
post #566 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a coax(?) line going from my garage (FiOS box) through my attic, down an outside wall by my office, and then into the house for the FiOS jack, and that is where I connect my D-Link router for my Internet.

This is CAT5 if is connected to the router, not coax.

Quote:

I have another coax line going from my garage through the attic and joined to a splitter in the attic, which sends a Comcast cable TV signal to 2 rooms - TV and kitchen. The house is wired for 5 rooms/TVs, but we only have 2 TVs so I switched the 5-way splitter for a 2-signal splitter - also because the HD signal wasn't always stable.

Sounds to me like you will need to have a coax line from the router site to the splitters in the attic.

Quote:

I don't know what a ONT is or what a structured wiring hub is.

ONT is the FIOS Box you refer to.

Quote:

Also, a guy at LensCrafters said he has FiOS Internet and TV and they did something so he can use a wireless keyboard and access his Internet from his TV. But when I talked with Verizon, they didn't seem to know what he or I was talking about. Any idea what this is?

There are a couple of ways to do this, but I don't believe VZ has a product.
post #567 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

Quote:

There are a couple of ways to do this, but I don't believe VZ has a product.

The LensCrafters guy has Verizon FiOS - it's the same as what I'm getting.
post #568 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The LensCrafters guy has Verizon FiOS - it's the same as what I'm getting.

I didn't say it couldn't be done over Verizon lines, I said I don't think it is a Verizon product.
post #569 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 06:40 AM

Could someone please explain these devices role in Verizon FiOS and what they are? Is there anything comparable to these on Comcast?

Secondly, those of you leaving Comcast - has Comcast attempted any customer retention programs with you - e.g. lower rates, more channels, up-grade packages etc? I realize some will leave regardless, but I'm just curious if Comcast has a game plan for this. My understanding is it cost them $250 to attract a new customer so you'd think they'd offer something.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
post #570 of 18270 Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebras23 View Post

Could someone please explain these devices role in Verizon FiOS and what they are? Is there anything comparable to these on Comcast?

Secondly, those of you leaving Comcast - has Comcast attempted any customer retention programs with you - e.g. lower rates, more channels, up-grade packages etc? I realize some will leave regardless, but I'm just curious if Comcast has a game plan for this. My understanding is it cost them $250 to attract a new customer so you'd think they'd offer something.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comcast would no doubt offer me something, but I didn't give them the opportunity. Maybe I'm paying extra for marginal improvement; I've never had a problem with Comcast (other than them having to replace 2 HD boxes that went bad - their expense, not mine). I suppose after they hook up FiOS, if I think it may not be worth it, I'll call Comcast and tell them I'm thinking of switching and see what offer they make me to stay with them.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page