6Likes

post #721 of 18257 Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe7890 View Post

It is strange that the video headend is located in Burlington and yet Burlington does have FIOS tv. Any idea when Burlington will start offering FIOS TV.

They chose Burlington because of its central location. From what I understand there are two video mega-heads in the country who in turn feed mini-heads scattered all over. Right now Burlington is the only mini-head in New England.

As far as when video will be offered, thats up to the municipality to grant Verizon a cable franchise. I believe Fios Internet is already up and running in Burlington.

The good news is that Woburn is right next door and video is up and running there. Its just a matter of time. Once the town gives them the go ahead, its a matter of just flipping a switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 18257 Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does Verizon have some sort of online account info for FIOS TV? They have it for the phone service and Internet but the installers didn't know anything on the TV side. Anyone?
post #723 of 18257 Old 02-24-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you want to see your info or just see if you are eligible?

Dave B.
post #724 of 18257 Old 02-25-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post

Did you want to see your info or just see if you are eligible?

See my info - I already have the service.
post #725 of 18257 Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I figured that out after a while. I have looked everywhere for FiOS TV stuff on the Verizon websites. Nothing when I log into my regular phone account or going to Verizon Central where all the FiOS internet info is. I was hoping for something like D*TV has where you can see what packages you have and add and remove programming. Oh well, maybe in the future.

Dave B.
post #726 of 18257 Old 02-25-2006, 11:27 PM

I just got a mailing for FIOS Internet Service (the cable was laid in November). I spoke with a rep about the possibility of FIOS TV in this area; he said that, assuming everything goes smoothly, it could be in the range of six months away. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #727 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post

I just got a mailing for FIOS Internet Service (the cable was laid in November). I spoke with a rep about the possibility of FIOS TV in this area; he said that, assuming everything goes smoothly, it could be in the range of six months away. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think that's been about average: FIOS Internet+6mo=FIOS TV
post #728 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19
I think that's been about average: FIOS Internet+6mo=FIOS TV
I have attached a PDF that someone posted over at broadbandreports.com that is a publicity brochure for FiOS dated 2/1/06. It has a listing of all communities where FiOS TV is currently available. Obviously this is going to change frequently. One thing to bear in mind is that there is no formula for when the TV component of FiOS will become available. An excellent case in point in our area is Montgomery County, Maryland. It is all about whether Verizon can land a video franchise with the local government authority. Hopefully this process can be streamlined as time goes on. Perhaps you should check with your local governing authority as to whether they are open to granting Verizon a video franchise.

FTTP200106.pdf 181.16796875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FTTP200106.pdf (181.2 KB, 1 views)
post #729 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Maybe, getting FiOS TV depends on the Official start date. Around here, FiOS became available in September, but the Offical announcement was on November 9th.

No FiOS TV in sight, yet !

We have another complication here. The communities that have the internet service now have jointed together with a larger number of communities that have yet to get the Fiber cables fully installed. The combined group will negotiate Franchise agreement(s). To me, I'm afraid that this sounds like everyone must be ready before any Franchise agreement(s) begin to take shape. I truly doubt that any other area of the Country would be so stupid.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #730 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I am really enjoying this new MHD channel. It's a combination of MTV, VH1 and CMT all in HD. So far I've seen;

Storytellers - Springsteen, Dave Mathews, Green Day

Unplugged - Alicia Keys

Crossroads - Lionel Richie & Kenny Rogers, Ronnie Milsap & Los Lonely Boys

Plus they have a show called "Uncompressed" that shows all HD videos.

The PQ on this channel is up with the best I've ever seen. That CDNow show on D*tv looks really bad compared to this.

Dave B.
post #731 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

I have attached a PDF that someone posted over at broadbandreports.com that is a publicity brochure for FiOS dated 2/1/06. It has a listing of all communities where FiOS TV is currently available. Obviously this is going to change frequently. One thing to bear in mind is that there is no formula for when the TV component of FiOS will become available. An excellent case in point in our area is Montgomery County, Maryland. It is all about whether Verizon can land a video franchise with the local government authority. Hopefully this process can be streamlined as time goes on. Perhaps you should check with your local governing authority as to whether they are open to granting Verizon a video franchise.

That PDF lists Manhattan as a current market...is this true? I had no idea it was available here yet. How do I get more information or sign up?
post #732 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the link to see if you can can FiOS service:

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...getfiosTV.aspx

post #733 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

Here is the link to see if you can can FiOS service:

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...getfiosTV.aspx

Thanks for the link...unfortunately it tells me it doesn't recognize my address. That's quite odd since i had verizon for my telephone company for several years before switching to VOIP.
post #734 of 18257 Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

On a lark, I thought I'd give it a try by using my address instead of my phone number.

Result:

It came back with two choices

- my address but with my townships name instead of my towns name (they are not the same) or
- none.

Weird ! Perhaps their database is screwed ?

post #735 of 18257 Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post

I am really enjoying this new MHD channel. It's a combination of MTV, VH1 and CMT all in HD. So far I've seen;

Storytellers - Springsteen, Dave Mathews, Green Day

Unplugged - Alicia Keys

Crossroads - Lionel Richie & Kenny Rogers, Ronnie Milsap & Los Lonely Boys

Plus they have a show called "Uncompressed" that shows all HD videos.

The PQ on this channel is up with the best I've ever seen. That CDNow show on D*tv looks really bad compared to this.

I am thinking about FIOS but I don't want to give up Comcast sports (Orioles,Wizards in 1080i) and I like INHD.
Is their any provision for getting local sports with FIOS?
With a HDDVR,HBO,CIN,SHO,STARZ,digital+ taxes my Comcast cable bill is around $120. What does FIOS cost for everything in English?
post #736 of 18257 Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know about the sports because I don't watch baseball or basketball. My bill with everything they offer (in English), 1 DVR and 1 SD STB comes to $96 a month.

Dave B.
post #737 of 18257 Old 02-27-2006, 02:02 PM

I'm dieing for FIOS TV!.

The line runs up to my house but they haven't hooked up the main trunks(?).

Does anyone know when South Riding, VA will get service?
post #738 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 AM

Liked: 13
All,

It is impossible for anyone to tell you when you can get FIOS TV. The way you need to handle this is to determine if you qualify for FIOS Voice and data. If thats true, then you need to start calling your local cable commision (or relative governing body) and ask them if they are in Video franchise negotiations with Verizon. Only through local pressure will these politicians feel the need to move rapidly. They are elected officials and would not want to be perceived to their community as stifling competition.

Verizon is presently lobbying for statewide franchises to speed up competition, but the Cable Co's are agressively fighting this. Verizon has said all along that they are not looking to get out of paying similar franchise fees to the local communities, but rather are looking for a universal approval to speed up competition while maintaining the revenue streams for the local municipalities. Until this happens, it will be a door to door, community by community negotiation effort.

There is plenty of information on this that has been published in the past 12 mos.
post #739 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DesigntechnicaNewsConnected Home

http://news.designtechnica.com/article9631.html

Verizon, Disney Unveil Broadband Services

Friday, February 24th 2006 @ 6:05 AM PST

By Nino Marchetti
Staff Writer, Designtechnica News

Customers of Verizon's broadband and fiber-optic television services will gain access to a wide array of Disney and ESPN related video and interactive programming.

Verizon and The Walt Disney Company yesterday said they would begin making available to Verizon broadband and FiOS fiber-optic television service customers a wide array of Disney and ESPN programming. These new offerings stem out of an announcement made last September regarding wide-ranging video and broadband content agreements between the two companies.

The new content to be made available to Verizon customers, the two companies said, includes ABC News Now, a 24/7 news channel, Disney Connection, an interactive environment for kids, ESPN360, a multi-dimensional, sports focused broadband service and Moves.com Max, a service of movie-related information and entertainment. These offerings will be joined later this year by SOAPNETIC, a broadband service from SOAPnet.

Verizon FiOS TV customers will also gain access to more than 80 hours a month of free on-demand titles and programming from across a range of Disney and ESPN channels as well as new release and library pay per view titles such as The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Kill Bill: Vol. 1.

"The addition of rich content from Disney and ESPN Networks to our consumer broadband and FiOS TV services is another way we are continuously enhancing the value of broadband and our new fiber-optic network for Verizon customers," said Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets Group, in a statement. "We're dedicated to providing video experiences like no other, using the very latest technologies and fastest networks to deliver the entertainment and information that every member of today's digital households wants, on their PCs, their TVs and ultimately other devices. We're bringing our customers video and entertainment on their own schedules, with unmatched quality, convenience and service."
post #740 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure where to post this question...

FiOS TV VOD - I haven't used this feature too much up to now, but when I do, more often than not, the picture sometimes freezes and sometimes even stops entirely and I get a screen that says "VOD is temporarily unavailable".

Has anybody else seen this? I figured it was still early days with FiOS TV and this was just one of the growing pains...
post #741 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

FiOS TV VOD - I haven't used this feature too much up to now, but when I do, more often than not, the picture sometimes freezes and sometimes even stops entirely and I get a screen that says "VOD is temporarily unavailable".

Has anybody else seen this? I figured it was still early days with FiOS TV and this was just one of the growing pains...

Never.

The only problem we've had is a couple times we got NO SOUND from the Motorola box (HD + PVR). To fix it, I powered off the box, then hit the MENU key to bring up the setbox menu, Reset it to the Defaults (bottom item on menu), and then powered off, and then powered on again. That seemed to fix it.

Either at the same time, or immediately afterwards, I went to the MENU again and changed the 4:3 default to 480P from 480I (default reset), since we have an LCD RPTV.

If this problem persists, I'll ask for a new box.
post #742 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think your last statement summerizes it. The NoVA head end has some kinks that Verizon needs to work out.
post #743 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My mother lives in Delaware and is having Verizon Fiber Optic line run in her home today. Does this mean that she will be able to get there TV service sometime in the future or are they running this line for some other reason. Verizon actually called her up and offered to run the Fiber Optic cable in her house for free. They said it will be like a 6 hour job. Just wondering what there intentions are.

PSN: JAY-NUCLEAR
post #744 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

I think your last statement summerizes it. The NoVA head end has some kinks that Verizon needs to work out.

So you are seeing this too?

I'm still waiting patiently for HDNet to become active in our area. I also read somewhere else that the Voom channels and National Geographic HD are both destined for FiOS TV. It's just a question of when...
post #745 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still waiting patiently for HDNet to become active in our area. I also read somewhere else that the Voom channels and National Geographic HD are both destined for FiOS TV. It's just a question of when...

HURRAY!!

We love our FiOS TV.
post #746 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You guys getting FiOS are very lucky. With HD-Lite on almost every provider (even OTA!!!) FiOS cannot come here soon enough. Even though FiOS wants to be available everywhere, I'm afraid that it's going to be years and maybe even never before I'm able to choose FiOS over something else.

I hope that ViOS is able to keep providing full bandwidth HD no matter how many channels they provide.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #747 of 18257 Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Consumers in Murrieta Can Experience Better Television Technology;
New Service Offering Provides More Competitive Choice and Greater Value

MURRIETA, Calif., Feb. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Some 80,000 additional Southern
California customers here can now get the superior picture quality and program
choice of Verizon's FiOS TV, as Murrieta today joined Beaumont as the first
markets in California for the new fiber-optic television service.
Verizon is the only company to offer, on a mass scale, all-digital fiber-
optic communications all the way to the customer. FiOS TV, delivered on this
superior network, was first offered in California three weeks ago. It is also
available in Texas, Florida, Massachusetts, New York and Virginia.
"FiOS TV gives Murrieta consumers an outstanding, superior alternative for
their video entertainment," said Tim McCallion, Pacific region president.
"Customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love
what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-
based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new
entertainment experience."

Service highlights include:

- A broad collection of all-digital programming and compelling consumer
choice -- with more than 350 total channels and more on the way.
- A lead offer with more than 180 digital video and music channels, for
$34.95 a month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying voice
plan or $39.95 as a stand-alone service.
- More than 20 high-definition channels, with extraordinary clarity and
theater-quality sound.
- Over 2,200 On Demand titles available to customers now, increasing to
over 3,500 titles in the next several months.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news,
shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their
favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD
programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with
broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable DVR that gives customers the freedom to pause
and rewind live TV, record one show while watching another, and fast
forward to their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes
or DVDs.

Information on packages and prices is available at http://www.verizon.net/fiostv.
Murrieta- and Beaumont-area customers also can call 1-800-880-2943 to see if
they're able to order FiOS TV.
Verizon obtained a local video franchise in Murrieta in September and is
currently in negotiations with more than 15 other communities in California to
obtain additional franchises. Under current state law, potential competitors
to the incumbent cable-TV operators must obtain video franchises in each
community they seek to serve.
Delivered over Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, FiOS TV is
designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. The Verizon
FTTP network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under
construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline
communications services, including more than 30 California communities. The
network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's
homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers
amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide
array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to
leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to
30 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as
high-quality voice services.
Programming choices for Latino, African-American, Asian, Russian and other
multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so
much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to
showcase their diverse programming.
(More information about FiOS TV and fiber optics is available in Verizon's
online News Center at http://www.verizon.com/news.)

Service and Package Details

FiOS TV subscribers can choose from three simple-to-understand service
offerings, each with built-in choice and value. They can then choose from
packages and premium channels with programming that meets their special
interests. Verizon offers three set-top boxes: standard definition for $3.95
per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.95 per month;
and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.95 per month.

The services include:

- Basic, with access to 15-35 local broadcast weather and community
channels for $12.95 per month. The service is digital with a set-top
box, which also provides access to On Demand programming. Basic is also
available as an analog service that does not require a set-top box for
viewing.
- Expanded Basic, Verizon's lead offer, delivers more than 180 video and
music channels for $34.95 a month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or
a qualifying voice plan. This tier includes access to On Demand content
and requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in
this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box
and an HD-ready TV to view them.
- La Conexion, an alternative to Expanded Basic service designed for
bilingual consumers who enjoy TV programs in English and Spanish, for
$27.95 per month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying
voice plan. La Conexion is also available as a stand-alone service for
$32.95 per month. The package includes nearly 140 channels with English
and Spanish-language programming and access to On Demand programming.
This service requires a set-top box. HD channels are included in this
tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and
an HD-ready TV to view them.

Verizon FiOS TV customers who sign up for 12 months of Expanded Basic or
La Conexion will receive additional discounts through a newly instituted
annual savings agreement. FiOS TV customers will have the choice of receiving
$5 off the monthly Movie Package price for an annual savings of $60. Or,
customers can waive the monthly standard set-top box fee of $3.95 -- an annual
savings of $47.40.
Consumers with a passion for movies can add the movie package with 44
channels of Starz, Encore, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Sundance and Flix, as
well as 255 titles of On Demand programming, for a regular price of $11.95 a
month. Sports enthusiasts can add a 15-channel sports package for $5.95 a
month. Or, both packages can be purchased for $14.95 a month. In addition to
the movie package, customers with a set-top box can order new, On Demand movie
releases for $3.95 each or choose from a selection of movie library titles for
$2.95 each.
For wrestling fans, Verizon offers World Wrestling Entertainment's WWE
24/7, a subscription On Demand service, for $7.95 a month. Karaoke fans can
sing along at home with a subscription to the Karaoke package for $7.95 a
month.
Verizon also offers 14 HBO channels and 12 Cinemax channels as premium
services, with each set of channels available for $14.95. The price includes
access to each channel's subscription On Demand library. Subscribers who want
both HBO and Cinemax will pay $24.95 per month.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support.
Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint
subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the
installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge
to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home.
Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may
apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber
Solutions Centers in Oxnard and other cities.
post #748 of 18257 Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

From http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060227/nym213.html?.v=32

Virginia General Assembly Passes Cable Choice Bill
Monday February 27, 5:06 pm ET

Compromise Legislation Will Hasten Consumer Choice, Competition for Cable Service; Moves to Governor for Signature into Law

RICHMOND, Va., Feb. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- The Virginia General Assembly Senate and House of Delegates have passed legislation that will hasten competition for cable television services in the state. The bill now moves to Gov. Timothy M. Kaine for his signature into law. If signed by Gov. Kaine, the new law will take effect July 1. The following statement should be attributed to Robert W. Woltz Jr., president of Verizon Virginia.

"Virginians today are another major step closer to having more competitive choices for their cable television services. In July, Virginia will join Texas as a pioneer in bringing cable choice to consumers more quickly.

"Everyone wins when companies compete, and now Virginians will see greater innovation, better value and real choice for subscription TV.

"With this compromise legislation, Verizon will be able to accelerate investment in our fiber-optic network in Virginia, more quickly adding an awesome FiOS TV component to our reliable voice phone service and blazing-fast FiOS Internet Service.

"No party got all it wanted in the legislation, but the end result is one Verizon believes will stimulate competition, increase consumer choice and provide localities with continued control over their rights of way, consistent with the legal requirements in Virginia.

"We will have more to say about our investment plans in Virginia in coming days, but it's safe to say that -- as this legislation becomes law -- those plans will reflect the progressive business environment in the Commonwealth.

"Our hats are off to the members of the General Assembly who have approved this legislation -- particularly Dels. Terry Kilgore and Morgan Griffith and Sens. Walter Stosch and Kenneth Stolle, who along with Mark Rubin -- senior advisor to Gov. Kaine -- forged this compromise."

- Now if they can just get FiOS into Condos, or as they call them "stacked housing", I'll be right as rain.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #749 of 18257 Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think this is a typical ocurrence for now. We have 3 DVR boxes and have seen this behavior on all three of them. My kids use VOD *a lot* and I have seen the same symptoms on a lesser basis:

1. If you pause a VOD broadcast after several minutes (talking over 5) it will fall back to a screen stating that an error has occurred. The broadcast can be easily restarted from the point it was paused.

2. Sometimes when you are paused and then play or are fast-forwarding and then play the show will fall back to the error screen.

3. Sometimes (much less often) when you are playing a show for awhile and then fast forward it the show may fall back to an error screen, and in some cases it displays a blank gray screen for a bit. This is followed by either falling back to a "resume/exit" screen *or* by resetting the DVR. I have only seen the latter action once, but my older son has seen it on his DVR several times. He apparently watches a lot of VOD.

I think these are just symptoms of where V* is in their roll-out of this capability. One of the reasons they are using IPTV only for VOD is to work out these kinds of kinks, I believe. They are not really showstoppers and I do not think they are indications of bad hardware, especially since we are seeing it on 3 out of 3 boxes.
post #750 of 18257 Old 03-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

Maybe, getting FiOS TV depends on the Official start date. Around here, FiOS became available in September, but the Offical announcement was on November 9th.

No FiOS TV in sight, yet !

We have another complication here. The communities that have the internet service now have jointed together with a larger number of communities that have yet to get the Fiber cables fully installed. The combined group will negotiate Franchise agreement(s). To me, I'm afraid that this sounds like everyone must be ready before any Franchise agreement(s) begin to take shape. I truly doubt that any other area of the Country would be so stupid.

Obviously spoken by someone who has never lived in South East Texas.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page