post #61 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

jagouar: if you honestly believe DirecTV will be undercut on price, you have just totally failed to do research on any Rupert Murdoch operation.

Once the scale is there to go national, he will be advertising on a national basis, something it will take Verizon years to come close to.

If I lived in Killen, TX, (or Long Island!) I would have signed up for FiOS months ago. It seems like a good deal.

But to seriously believe Murdoch will be undersold is to totally ignore his history on at least three continents.

When is the last time ANY DBS has EVER DROPPED prices? (voom comes to mind but that wasnt really a drop in prices). I dont remember one ever. I know all about ruperts past and not saying it wont happen but right now fios looks like the better option (even with all the sats going up for anybody in a fios deployed area). If they keep current pricing they wont compete. My point was they will have to if they want to stay competative with fios. And Keller, TX is the test market for fios TV. Hopefully our new teleom deal will get fios deployed heavily in TX now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post

D* will be able to compete as long as they have NFL Sunday Ticket.

Also, they're giving away the HD TiVo's right now, practically for free. I got mine installed for $45.

2 million subs (last figure I saw posted here) wont keep D* in the black. I really think alot of people overstate how much ST means to D*'s bottom line. Yes those are important subs but 2 million isnt that many in the grand scheme of things. 85% of D*'s own subs dont even sub to ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

Whats funny is things like NESN HD is not made available to Dish and DirecTV, yet I am able to watch many of the RedSox HD games on Bell ExpressVu from Canada.

Congress really does need to step in here and do something.

Woah! I know this is off topic but this is the first I've heard that there is RedSox HD games on BEV. How many are there? Could definetly be the final push to get me to go with BEV.
post #63 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Gibbs View Post

Woah! I know this is off topic but this is the first I've heard that there is RedSox HD games on BEV. How many are there? Could definetly be the final push to get me to go with BEV.

Rogers Sportsnet HD (available on all satellite/cable providers in Canada) sometimes picks up a game from InDemand HD if the Blue Jays are not playing. I've seen the occasional game from YES and FSN West on there as well. But they seem to favour NESN. The NESN HD games are excellent HD PQ (on SC). They also show the ESPN Sunday night game.

No need to go with Bell. The big action has been to Star Choice this month as they bought the remaining 40,000 Motorola Voom receivers. They have been selling them for $199cdn with a $50 programming credit. At that price I had to order 1 so I won't have to share my HD decoder between my 4DTV and SC setups anymore.

New Canadian customers also get a dish installed for free + an additional $50 PPV credit. Star Choice does not charge extra for HD (unlike their competitors).

http://www.kusat.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=329
post #64 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Whats funny is things like NESN HD is not made available to Dish and DirecTV, yet I am able to watch many of the RedSox HD games on Bell ExpressVu from Canada.

Congress really does need to step in here and do something.

Scott - BEV carries NESN-HD? I thought it had no NESN carriage
post #65 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post

Verizon is probably a week away from getting a franchise agreement with its first Long Island locality. They know how disliked Cablevision is on Long Island and are making it one of their first targets.

The problem is that they need to negotiate individual franchise agreements with each individual locality (with Cablevision fighting against each agreement). Verizon is trying to make the case that they should be granted franchise agreements statewide, like they have done in Texas.

My town is one of the localities that they are currently in negotiations with. As soon a FIOS is available to me, I will cancelling D*. If Cablevision didn't suck so badly, I would have dumped D* when they decided to screw HD customers with their "Super Fan" crap.

I'm with you, Bill. I feel exactly the same way about D*.
I've got Verizon now for local, wireless and DSL. FIOS TV will fit in very nicely.
Have you heard anything about Verizon's timeline for the southern Westchester I-95 corridor?

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
---Ray Bradbury
post #66 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post

D* will be able to compete as long as they have NFL Sunday Ticket.

Why do you think Verizon is signing distant local CBS and FOX agreements, so they can offer thoses to customers to follow thier favorite NFL team that way.

Plus people like me on Dish are already getting the mini-NFL ST that way. At 1.50 per channel 5 CBS and 5 FOX comes out to about 60.00 for the season.
post #67 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 576
It aint just about price guys, it's about quality AND quantity. It appears that FIOS may offer both. That's a whole lot different than the garbage we get from D*!!! I can't wait...it can't be too soon to give D* the heave ho.
post #68 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

Why do you think Verizon is signing distant local CBS and FOX agreements, so they can offer thoses to customers to follow thier favorite NFL team that way.

You still won't be able to get out of market stations, unless you qualify and/or have waivers.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #69 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

When is the last time ANY DBS has EVER DROPPED prices? (voom comes to mind but that wasnt really a drop in prices). I dont remember one ever. I know all about ruperts past and not saying it wont happen but right now fios looks like the better option (even with all the sats going up for anybody in a fios deployed area). If they keep current pricing they wont compete. My point was they will have to if they want to stay competative with fios. And Keller, TX is the test market for fios TV. Hopefully our new teleom deal will get fios deployed heavily in TX now.

2 million subs (last figure I saw posted here) wont keep D* in the black. I really think alot of people overstate how much ST means to D*'s bottom line. Yes those are important subs but 2 million isnt that many in the grand scheme of things. 85% of D*'s own subs dont even sub to ST.

Right on all points. I hardly see D* lowering prices and offering more HD. They will lose in the Verizon FIOS territories until they really feel pain. Rupert will go as long as he can without lowering prices.
post #70 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

hehe, Thats the public announcments that you are talking about. I'm talking about what they have up their sleaves. Verizon likes FTTN since it allows them to get into the MDUs cheaply. SBC likes FTTP for its obvious advantages. And since a SBC's deployed FTTN will take the fiber close the homes, moving to FTTP at a later date is feasible.

Bell South is in the FTTN camp at this time.

I'm sorry but I don't know where you get your info from. SBC at this point has only experimented in small select areas for FTTP. It will be a long time till they go FTTP. They are spenind TONS of money on an overbuild of thier network with FTTN. To be able to use the last 5000 ft of copper saves a butt load of money. That's what big Ed is about nowadays. Bow it is possible that you may know something about whats going to come down the proverbial pipe when he retires later this year, but I highly doubt that if you did, you would post it here.
post #71 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

Bell South is in the FTTN camp at this time.

Shure cause when we buy them soon, they are going to be doing the same we are
post #72 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My only question is, WHEN? I'm in L.A. I'm with D* but not a ST sub. If I can get pretty much all national HD channels and HDDVR at a decent price, Vz can own my a$$. (I already have Vz DSL, phone, & wireless.)
post #73 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

either way verizon ig going to take over the market imo.... who really would want dish or directv or cable if you can get more channels for cheaper with verizon? I know as soon as its ready in my area im jumping on board.

Not necessarily. they re only aiming for upscale market s and will most likely only offer it as part of a bundle.
post #74 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Not necessarily. they re only aiming for upscale market s and will most likely only offer it as part of a bundle.

Huh? Not offered as a bundle? The whole idea of the telcos getting into the TV space is so they can do precisely that. They want to offer you a triple play of services(voice/data/TV).
post #75 of 18257 Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM

I was searching Verizons site and found this announcement at:

Sorry... Don't have 5 posts yet for URLs.

newscenter_dot_verizon_dot_com

Click on:

Verizon FiOS TV Is Here!
Sep 22, 2005

Here's a quick service highlight: Wow!!!

Service highlights include:

A broad collection of all-digital programming and compelling consumer choice - with more than 330 total channels at launch and more on the way.

A lead offer with more than 180 digital video and music channels, for $39.95 a month.

More than 20 high-definition channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.

Nearly 600 video-on-demand titles available to customers now, with 1,800 by year-end.

A wide range of local and special-interest channels not found on most cable and satellite systems.

Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.

An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, video-on-demand and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
post #76 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post

Verizon is probably a week away from getting a franchise agreement with its first Long Island locality. They know how disliked Cablevision is on Long Island and are making it one of their first targets.

The problem is that they need to negotiate individual franchise agreements with each individual locality (with Cablevision fighting against each agreement). Verizon is trying to make the case that they should be granted franchise agreements statewide, like they have done in Texas.

My town is one of the localities that they are currently in negotiations with. As soon a FIOS is available to me, I will cancelling D*. If Cablevision didn't suck so badly, I would have dumped D* when they decided to screw HD customers with their "Super Fan" crap.

My Uncle lives in MuttonTown and has had FIOS for a few months already!

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #77 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Also expect Verizon to start a massive push for FIOS in apartment complexes in early to mid 2006. Now I'm going to say how the system will work but please don't mistake this solution with FTTN because this solution is still FTTP just done a tad bit differently.

Right now Verizon is very close to start using a new MDU ONT from either Motorola and/or Tellabs. This new ONT will be able to wire 16 units per ONT. Now this ONT would be put inside whatever room the current phone and cable wires are which could be a basement for example. The big issue with apartments is not wiring up cable or phone service but wiring up internet service because currently each house needs an ethernet cable run from the ONT and in apartments this requires very very hard work and access to each specific apartment unit. So with that said this new MDU will offer the same speed internet FIOS services but over the phone cable instead of an ethernet cable using VDSL2. VDSL2 can work at these high speeds with ease because the phone cable will only carry the data from the basement to the unit itself instead of from the CO to the unit. So the internet data would travel over fiber into the ONT but instead of going over an ethernet cable it will travel over the phone cable instead.

They will also use PPPoE which will require a username and password to get access to internet service but their router can hold this information so each computer itself will work as an always on connection that doesn't require a username or password.

Now their basic cable TV package at around 12 bucks a month can only be turned on if a Verizon tech hooks it up. To make sure that all customers in the building only get what they order they will use boxes which is why all packages but the basic package requires a box. One of these boxes will connect to a router to authorize services and for PPV and VOD use. The other digital boxes in the house will be connected to the router over its coax cables. So if you order a VOD title on another box it would send that request over the existing coax cables in the house until it reaches the router. So the router would handle all two way traffic for all digital boxes in the house. This two way traffic would include the program guide, interactive TV, tuning in of channels, VOD, PPV and making sure that all boxes can only tune in what that specific subscriber pays for.

This will be some very fun stuff. Verizon is also working to update their SDU ONTs to use VDSL2 as well so they can great save time and money on FIOS installations. Most homes have a phone jack near their computer and cable jacks in all the rooms they want TV with so most customers will be very quick installs. These new ONTs will still support using an ethernet jack so if a customer doesn't have a phone jack near the computer they will just install an ethernet jack.
post #78 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 AM

It still will require connecting your existing cable wiring to the MDU ONT? What happens if your cable company company refuses access to their cable connection box? I know, in some buildings, the cable companies claim they legally own the internal cable wiring up until entry to the apartment.
post #79 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Those weasels destroyed my front yard installing the lines for Fios last winter and never came back to fix it. We still don't have the service yet, and I'd never buy it. Plus, they don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #80 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 04:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

Scott - BEV carries NESN-HD? I thought it had no NESN carriage

The Red Sox HD games are shown on BEV on SportsNet. The games have the NESN logo and the Sportnet logo on the screen.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #81 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

It aint just about price guys, it's about quality AND quantity. It appears that FIOS may offer both. That's a whole lot different than the garbage we get from D*!!! I can't wait...it can't be too soon to give D* the heave ho.

And it's also about availability. I hope everyone realizes this is not a national service. It's not even something that will be available to all Verizon customers. I live in a Verizon serviced area and I have Verizon phone and DSL but will still not see the FIOS service for years. In fact Verizon does not even have my area on the schedule for FIOS.
post #82 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 06:48 AM

Right, but for those of us fortunate enough to have this option (Verizon FIOS is in my area but not down my street, yet), someday it's going to be "good-bye" Time Warner.

BTW... I dropped RoadRunner, switched to DSL and come to find out... Verizon's service is better.
post #83 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post

And it's also about availability. I hope everyone realizes this is not a national service. It's not even something that will be available to all Verizon customers. I live in a Verizon serviced area and I have Verizon phone and DSL but will still not see the FIOS service for years. In fact Verizon does not even have my area on the schedule for FIOS.

You may not even have verizon for long. they have been trying to sell off that area to sbc or sprint for a while now. looks like sprint is going to take it.
post #84 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpade View Post

Those weasels destroyed my front yard installing the lines for Fios last winter and never came back to fix it. We still don't have the service yet, and I'd never buy it. Plus, they don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

If its on eazement, its actualy not your yard and they dont have to fix it. sorry bud but thats the way it is.
post #85 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoxyz View Post

It still will require connecting your existing cable wiring to the MDU ONT? What happens if your cable company company refuses access to their cable connection box? I know, in some buildings, the cable companies claim they legally own the internal cable wiring up until entry to the apartment.

and they do own the box that houses the cable. they do not own the cable. that being said, they shure dont hold back from breaking into the telco's boxes and accessing the sub's iw, so i see no reason why a handy phone guy couldnt do the same
post #86 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Excuse the ignorance, but what are FTTN and FTTP?
post #87 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Excuse the ignorance, but what are FTTN and FTTP?

Loosely used acronyms.

FTTN = fiber to the node or neighborhood switching box
FTTP = fiber to the premises or to your house
FTTH = fiber to the home, similar to above
FTTB = fiber to the basement, sometimes used for MDU hookups
post #88 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

If its on eazement, its actualy not your yard and they dont have to fix it. sorry bud but thats the way it is.

Actually, our local laws do require them to replant. The worst part was they didn't use enough dirt to fill in the holes they dug so I ended up with big potholes in my yard.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #89 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to elaborate a litte.

With FTTN (Fiber to the Node). The node means a box/vault nearby in your neighborhood. From there, the signal/service is run over High Speed DSL over your existing phone line into your house. Over this High Speed DSL, the Video/Voice/Data all travel.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #90 of 18257 Old 09-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:

The Red Sox HD games are shown on BEV on SportsNet. The games have the NESN logo and the Sportnet logo on the screen.

Scott, how many games were on SportsNet this year? Are you talking about a few games or most of the NESN HD schedule? Thanks.

Roy
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page