post #11851 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Lets see if Tivo's announcement turns out to be anything but a dud tomorrow. If it is, I'm likely going to order the 3 tuner Moxi package that includes a Moxi mate and give Verizon their DVR back.

160gb of storage is just flat out terrible. Shame on verizon for not offering better in a reasonable timeframe (the same shame can be extended to Tivo with their base HD model as well.)

Actually that is a plus. then people aren't forced to a pay a large amount for a bigger hard drive. The first thing I do when I get a new TiVo is replace the hard drive. I never use the stock hard drive. So for only $70 I put in a 1TB drive instead of the 250GB or 160GB stock drive.
My nine tiVos all have 1TB drives in them. When I get a couple of tiVo premiers, I will be sticking a 1TB hard drive or 1.5TB(if possible) in them.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Shame on verizon for not offering better in a reasonable timeframe (the same shame can be extended to Tivo with their base HD model as well.)

I'd blame the manufacturers more than Verizon. I'd prefer that Verizon ensures that the units are "ready-for-prime-time" rather than send out a bunch of glitchy boxes for people to then complain about here.
post #11853 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM

It's not the manufacturers or service providers. It's the consumers. If we were willing to pay enough extra per month to incentivize better equipment, then we've get better equipment. The technology is there, and the service providers don't care what they offer as long as it is the most profitable possible offering.
post #11854 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

It's not the manufacturers or service providers. It's the consumers. If we were willing to pay enough extra per month to incentivize better equipment, then we've get better equipment. The technology is there, and the service providers don't care what they offer as long as it is the most profitable possible offering.

I'm already assuming that there'd be a price increase for the new boxes.
post #11855 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

The first time i tried fios 3 years ago ,i told verizon they needed to switch to tivo or make a box with more recording space! they acted like i didn"t know what i was talking about,and to make things worse they didn't know what tivo was!.Even as recently as a month ago i went in to verizon to get more info on their packages , and all the people i spoke with said they had never seen a tivo or claimed they didn't know what tivo is!!!,It gave me the impression that verizon is trying to discourage people from getting a tivo box ,as they tried real hard to get me to get a home media box for $20.00 a month. nevertheless i declined as i am waiting to see what the new tivo box has. BTW i did buy a HD tivo 2 weeks ago but i might return it and get the new one if i feel it will be worth it.

What you are describing has been the crux of the argument for years now. The carriers (FiOS) want to control the system end to end. Although they may not make much (if any) profit off of the set top boxes, they still maintain more control over their infrastructure by avoiding having third party hardware connected. I'm not saying that it is right, but it is the way things have worked. The carriers have often resorted to willful ignorance to keep people from going to third party devices like TiVo and Moxi. The FCC has tried to come up with a solution to this for years but so far has failed.

There was a lot of hype that tru2way would finally be a standard which would allow third party hardware to provide all of the features available as the carrier's set to boxes. It looks now like tru2way is going to die with barely a whimper. Since the FCC is looking at the issue again, maybe this time a solution will come around which actually works and is deployable.

BTW, I've used TiVo since late 2000. First with a series 1 (Sony) and then a Series 2 DT. When I moved to FiOS the S2DT was relegated to my home office (with a digial adapter) and the family room TV now has a Verizon DVR box. Having used both I can say that there are features I like in both but there is a lot from the TiVo which I truly miss when using the Verizon box.

I had some hope that the Cisco/SA boxes would improve the situation, but now it sounds like Verizon is having trouble with them (either the platform or integrating them into the FiOS enviornment), so it looks like that won't be a solution for quite a while. Maybe if the TiVo announcement is a knock-out tomorrow the wife will let me make a long-term investment in the TiVo and send the Verizon DVR back.
post #11856 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automag928 View Post

I CAN say, its not us...(Vz)

I don't doubt it. SA and Motorola have been loath to spend an extra $50 to $100 to put a bigger hard disk, more memory, and a faster processor in their boxes. Over a four year lifespan for the box this would only add about $1 to $3 extra per month to the cost, which I'm sure many people would gladly pay if it was given to them as an option.
post #11857 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

*many*? i doubt it... *most* complain about every single penny they pay to their provider... i can't see them gladly handing over more...

*some* would... i would... you would... but *many* wouldn't... hell, *most* would switch providers immediately if the other guy is a few bucks a month cheaper...

and since price has become a cut-throat proposition these days, i don't think you'll see any provider willingly increasing their rates for something that the majority don't care about...

i'm sure if vz (or any other provider) was willing to pay more for their boxes, sa and motorola would build more expensive boxes... i doubt it's that they are loath to do so... but they are building to a price point...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #11858 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM

ccotenj summed things up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

I'm already assuming that there'd be a price increase for the new boxes.

Yes, and for yourself, you can make a pretty good estimation about how you'd respond. Unfortunately, the mass-market is driven by, well, the masses.
post #11859 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

I had some hope that the Cisco/SA boxes would improve the situation, but now it sounds like Verizon is having trouble with them (either the platform or integrating them into the FiOS enviornment), so it looks like that won't be a solution for quite a while.

Not Vz specifically...our vendors have to provide a working product. Also I guess what it depends your definition of quite a while is...we are trying our best to get them out as fast as we can.

Quote:

I don't doubt it. SA and Motorola have been loath to spend an extra $50 to $100 to put a bigger hard disk, more memory, and a faster processor in their boxes. Over a four year lifespan for the box this would only add about $1 to $3 extra per month to the cost, which I'm sure many people would gladly pay if it was given to them as an option.

Its not the cost...its getting it to work...
post #11860 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Dumb question... Motorola isn't making (or willing to make) a larger hard drive and expandable capable DVR? Is this why only Cisco is being looked at?

I suppose the Cisco (SA) overlay onto Motorola is the main issue?
post #11861 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

ccotenj summed things up nicely.

Yes, and for yourself, you can make a pretty good estimation about how you'd respond. Unfortunately, the mass-market is driven by, well, the masses.

Since it would be a while before there were enough boxes for ALL subscribers anyway, I'd assume the new boxes are an option. The "masses" can keep what they have. Others looking to upgrade should expect to pay a few dollars more.
post #11862 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM

If it is only worth a few dollars more per month to you, then you can probably live without it eh?
post #11863 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:

If it is only worth a few dollars more per month to you, then you can probably live without it eh?

Actually, I probably could. But I'd like the additional space.
post #11864 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM

And that's the calculus involved. Even the making of an advanced offering, itself, has cost, and not only marketing cost, but also in the training of CSRs and techs, etc. So unless doing something extra is going to make a lot more money, it won't make sense to do it.
post #11865 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Since it would be a while before there were enough boxes for ALL subscribers anyway, I'd assume the new boxes are an option. The "masses" can keep what they have. Others looking to upgrade should expect to pay a few dollars more.

you aren't seeing the whole picture... merely offering a 2nd type of box creates additional expenses... stocking multiple boxes, multiple firmware, different scripts for the csr's, different techs, etc. etc. etc.

vz (like every other provider) is a business, first and foremost, and they are going to do what maximizes their profit and minimizes their risk...

edit: yea. what bicker1 said.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #11866 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:

And that's the calculus involved. Even the making of an advanced offering, itself, has cost, and not only marketing cost, but also in the training of CSRs and techs, etc. So unless doing something extra is going to make a lot more money, it won't make sense to do it.

You're thinking short term. At one time, there wasn't a big market for mobile phones or HD either. In fact, as mentioned earlier, it's only recently that FIOS turned any sort of profit. New products/services often begin with losses. Making a lot more money right away is a very short-sighted outlook. If all businesses operated that way (and I know that many do), there'd be no progress. We certainly wouldn't be getting home 3D coming this year. In which new training would be needed for CSRs, DVD techs, satellite techs, TV techs, and marketing galore...all for something that most
people aren't clamoring for anyway. But years from now, it may be as entrenched as HD is today. And the bit-starved STBs that we use currently may seem rather archaic as well. Doesn't do Verizon any good to let it all go to TIVO.
post #11867 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Actually that is a plus. then people aren't forced to a pay a large amount for a bigger hard drive. The first thing I do when I get a new TiVo is replace the hard drive. I never use the stock hard drive. So for only $70 I put in a 1TB drive instead of the 250GB or 160GB stock drive.
My nine tiVos all have 1TB drives in them. When I get a couple of tiVo premiers, I will be sticking a 1TB hard drive or 1.5TB(if possible) in them.

The first thing I like to do when I purchase something new and expensive is void its warranty.

The cost argument is silly at this point since a 160gb drive has gone from ~$85 retail to $43 retail since the HD was introduced. To look at it another way, a 1TB drive costs the same retail now as a 160gb did in 2007.

The value just isn't there. Sadly it looks as if the Premiere is only upping the entry point to 320gb which would be acceptable if it comes with a decent price cut, but we already know from the Best Buy leak that they are going to be $299 as normal.

A 320gb Premiere with lifetime service comes out to be $698 while a 3 tuner 500gb Moxi with a Moxi Mate comes out to be $799. The later is a true two room solution.

I just hope there's something really substantial to this announcement tomorrow other than "here, buy our two slightly updated models." This is especially true since they are talking up tomorrows announcement to be something huge.
post #11868 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:

The first thing I like to do when I purchase something new and expensive is void its warranty.

The cost argument is silly at this point since a 160gb drive has gone from ~$85 retail to $43 retail since the HD was introduced. To look at it another way, a 1TB drive costs the same retail now as a 160gb did in 2007.

The value just isn't there. Sadly it looks as if the Premiere is only upping the entry point to 320gb which would be acceptable if it comes with a decent price cut, but we already know from the Best Buy leak that they are going to be $299 as normal.

A 320gb Premiere with lifetime service comes out to be $698 while a 3 tuner 500gb Moxi with a Moxi Mate comes out to be $799. The later is a true two room solution.

I just hope there's something really substantial to this announcement tomorrow other than "here, buy our two slightly updated models." This is especially true since they are talking up tomorrows announcement to be something huge.

Lifetime is $299 for me so my price will be under $600 for a Premiere with Lifetime service. Then if I can use a 10% off coupon it will cost even less. I should be able to sell my Lifetime TiVo HD boxes for at least $500 each with a 1TB in it. Hopefully more. As long as I can come very close to covering the cost of the premiere and Lifetime service i will be happy.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11869 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Lifetime is $299 for me so my price will be under $600 for a Premiere with Lifetime service. Then if I can use a 10% off coupon it will cost even less. I should be able to sell my Lifetime TiVo HD boxes for at least $500 each with a 1TB in it. Hopefully more. As long as I can come very close to covering the cost of the premiere and Lifetime service i will be happy.

The cost makes sense for you then, unfortunately it doesn't for someone getting an HD for the first time. ROI for a base, unmodified model with lifetime service compared to the Verizon DVR is over 4 years once you factor in cable card rental. With the current models, it gets you a nicer UI with better guide data. However, since I have no trouble filling up the current FIOS DVR and have never had it miss a recording for me in a year and a half of using it, I don't have much incentive there

4 years is an eternity and I can't see anything that Tivo currently carries that has 4 year legs on it.

Honestly, the most interesting thing to me at this point is a good multiroom solution that doesn't incur extra service costs. That's why the Moxi is so appealing to me. 3 tuners is more than plenty for me and I would like to have a 2nd HDTV in my office for occasional viewing without having to shell out $10-$15 /month to get HD content in there.

If Tivo were to show off something similar to a Moxi mate, even just a PC client that did HD streaming of both recordings or live TV, it would perk up my interest.

One of the things I loved the most about my replayTV is I could just point VLC at it and watch any of the recordings streamed over the network without having to transfer it to the PC first.
post #11870 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automag928 View Post

Not Vz specifically...our vendors have to provide a working product. Also I guess what it depends your definition of quite a while is...we are trying our best to get them out as fast as we can.

That was why I said it was either the platform or the integration. From your posts, it sounds like it is a platform problem before Verizon ever gets a chance to work with it.

As for "quite a while", I would define that as nine months to a year plus. A year is a whole new product cycle in consumer electronics, so if it will take another year to get the new boxes out I would expect the manufacturers to already be showing a generation beyond that and everyone will be saying, "why are you giving us that one?" At nine months you start to hear the rumors of what will be in the next generation. Perhaps set top boxes don't evolve that fast, but consumers will still put things in the consumer electronics context.

Quote:

Its not the cost...its getting it to work...

Based on what many people are saying here it is the cost. TiVo has got it to work for years. I still believe that one reason they have been successful is that they've been willing to put a little higher end hardware in the boxes to support the more advanced functionality. I'm not blaming Verizon here. I really do think it is a problem with Cisco/SA, Motorola, and anyone else manufacturing these boxes.

As for those saying it costs more to carry another SKU, look at the list of options already available. You have the digital adapter, SD STB, HD STB, and HD DVR (with more than one generation in the wild currently). Adding a premium box won't break the bank for support. Also, giving people the option of a "standard dvr" and a "premium dvr" will give the consumers a chance to see how the two options stack up against one another and decide for themselves if they are willing to pay the extra $ per month for a premium level option.

Sorry to keep harping on TiVo, but this is essentially what they did with the TiVo HD vs. TiVO HD XL. When you put a standard and a premium product side by side more people will go for the premium product because they want to have the best. If you just put the premium product out there people will spend all their time complaining about the price. The price differential between the HD and the HD XL is probably a little much, but the model still holds for the "aficionados" who have to have the best. iPhone is another good example here where they likely sell more overall phones by having both a 16GB and 32GB model (or 8GB and 16GB when I bought) available at the same time.
post #11871 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on what many people are saying here it is the cost. TiVo has got it to work for years. I still believe that one reason they have been successful is that they've been willing to put a little higher end hardware in the boxes to support the more advanced functionality.

Actually, Tivo shares the same broadcom chipset that's been in pretty much every STB for the past 4 years or so (barring the Moxi which is a slightly updated version).

Also, I'm not sure I would qualify Tivo as a 'success' post S2 years. We know from the FCC that only 443,000 cable cards have been deployed into consumer equipment since inception. Once you factor that not all of those were M cards (thus requiring two per Tivo S3/HD) and the fact that others went into TVs and other solutions, best ball park guess is that Tivo may have sold 300,000 or so S3/HD models since September of 2006.

We know from Tivo that their subscriber base for Tivo hardware (non-MSO) peaked at around 1.74million in January of 2008 and has been declining ever since. That means S3/HD owners account for less than 20% of Tivo's hardware subscriber base.

To put that even further into perspective, MSO subcribers (likely mostly DirecTivo owners) peaked at nearly 2.9 million in January 2006.

The S3/HD is probably the least successful product that Tivo has ever fielded. The reasons for that are open to debate, but we'll see tomorrow as to whether or not Tivo is still committed to the hardware game or whether they are going to start focusing more on software and licensing to MSOs since that's where they've done the best as far as subscribers go in the past.

As far as Verizon goes, I wonder if they would consider 'thinking outside the box' and providing a supported premium solution that doesn't rely on STB manufacturers that can't seem to get their house in order. It would be awesome if Verizon could partner with Microsoft and a big name PC manufacturer to sell a sanctioned and supported HTPC with a cablecard tuner to give people a premium out of the box experience.

Hell, Verizon could go courting Tivo at this point and try to create the success that was the DirecTivo only for FIOS service.
post #11872 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

You're thinking short term.

Not at all -- or perhaps you are: I'm talking about why the offering isn't available today. That does not mean that it won't make sense to make that offering at some later date.

Quote:

At one time, there wasn't a big market for mobile phones or HD either.

Note that mobile phones that are included in two-year service commitments don't have the same features as ones you buy for yourself.

Quote:

New products/services often begin with losses.

Of course, but that doesn't excuse introducing offerings before there is any indication whatsoever that there is a sufficient profit motivation.

Joel: Keep in mind that the equipment you're talking about exists. I know: I have one. It just isn't worth offering it to you in the way you want it offered to you, at this point.
post #11873 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure I would qualify Tivo as a 'success' post S2 years.

TiVo has lost money practically every quarter since its inception. TiVo's long-term prospect is for someone to make a very friendly offer to buy them out ("friendly" because TiVo is pretty-well protected from hostile takeover).
post #11874 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TiVo has lost money practically every quarter since its inception. TiVo's long-term prospect is for someone to make a very friendly offer to buy them out ("friendly" because TiVo is pretty-well protected from hostile takeover).

Oh, I know. I was merely talking from a subscriber base perspective. Once people could no longer just go to best buy and buy a Tivo to plug it into their analog cable and be 100% done, they started hemorrhaging subscribers to MSO DVRs because it's easier and usually offered better value to the user.
post #11875 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Based on what many people are saying here it is the cost.

I can 100% say for certainty its NOT the cost. VZ has already spent a ton...

At the end of the day most of us on the FiOS teams are IT nerds, who like to have the fast internet, play video games, and watch movies on our big screens. I've had FiOS the first day it was available in my neighborhood 3 or 4 years ago. We see the same issues as everyone else, billing concerns etc. But at the same time, we want to try to provide the best product we can to the consumer, because WE are consumers as well. Do we disagree sometimes with decisions made by people alot higher up the food chain? Sure - like any corporations' employees - but at the end of the day, VZ is a huge corporation and obviously plans are made and decided on somewhere, and we just act on them as best we can.
For instance, Caller ID on the screen...I had that back with Bright house before I got FiOS, and I ask probably once a week whats the status. Finally we are geting stuff to work, and eventually it will be there. You have to remember in terms of a video provider, VZ is still in its toddler stages only having been around a few years. Hopefully, people will be impressed with some of the new stuff we are coming out with.
post #11876 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudaman33 View Post

I went to the Fox Soccer Channel HD post - there's absolutely no mention of any of the HD channels coming soon to FIOS. Sounds like you're pulling a fast one on us.

sigh....here's the relevant post from Civrock:

"Quoting a post I just read....no clue how reliable...

'FOX and D* have come to an agreement for FSC-HD and FSC Plus. Plus in SD will be available March 1st AND BOTH IN HD IN APRIL'." (emphasis mine).

yeah, "no mention" of HD chs coming.

point is the part about FSC+ has already happened so FSC-HD being added by April looks promising or at least plausible. come to think of it FiOS dropping Fox Reality may be part of this deal(or maybe not).

also on page 4-post #93 in the FSC-HD thread Civrock states that he thinks the source was an international football blog

BTW I don't think anyone in the FSC-HD thread is trying to put anything over on anyone and I'm certainly not!!

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #11877 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post

The 7100 comes with the full compliment of TV hookups for SD viewing aside from the HDMI connection for HD.

Very helpful, gracias!
post #11878 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Are those FiOS commercials in HD?
In my area they are not. IF you have the most HD available, why not show it off with an HD commercial.

If you're referring to the local ads that air on local network stations at all hours of the day, they are in HD. Your affiliate just isn't able/capable of passing them in HD. Up here in the DC market, all of those local FiOS ads are in HD.

Now, the ads to FiOS subscribers that air on cable inserts (like the ones promoting new on demand offerings) are not (yet) HD.
post #11879 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hell, Verizon could go courting Tivo at this point and try to create the success that was the DirecTivo only for FIOS service.

Interesting choice of words there: courting.

That's exactly what's happening. Instead of making a deal, these asshats are suing each other for patent infringement in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas.
post #11880 of 18258 Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Fox is killing Fox Reality and replacing it with National Geographic Wild. I don't think it signifies any new deal with Verizon.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page