Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #14791 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
All these Soccer takes is going to make me hurl.......................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
zZzZz
post #14793 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all you lucky folks with the 1.9 update, any luck with external drives for the dvr yet? I've been anxiously awaiting some input on that... Thanks!
post #14794 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talk of a 2 TB eSATA working here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25759841-

But a fact that 1 TB eSATA works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbaby View Post

For all you lucky folks with the 1.9 update, any luck with external drives for the dvr yet? I've been anxiously awaiting some input on that... Thanks!

post #14795 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm pretty eager to get the 1.9 upgrade. I have a feeling the Boston area will be one of the last ones to get it because we're one of Verizon's largest regions. Latest talk of the rollout has it going until late June.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #14796 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if Westchester and Rockland Counties in New York have gotten the 1.9 upgrade? That's all I need to pull the trigger on switching from DirecTV to FIOS. Even though I've been a DirecTV customer for nine years, I've watched FIOS TV in other homes and I have to say the user interface is much better with DirectTV.
post #14797 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post

Pete,
Sometimes watching MLS is like watching arena football vs soap operas or last year's drama. Rarely do they (EPL/MLS) air against each other.
MLS is getting better every year, and if you watched Portland's home opener, their crowd support was every bit as good as an EPL game.
Watch both!

RSL in last game of CONCACAF final this week,
Real Madrid and Barca on FX someday this week also.

nw

Well, I will say that I watched the LA Galaxy game last night, and it wasn't too horrible, but the crowd is so uncreative, singing the same, damn boring song throughout the whole match. It's more similar to the crowds in Mexico and South/Central America than the crowds in England and the rest of Europe. So yes, it's better than watching soap operas, but compared to EPL and La Liga and Serie A and Bundesleague, there IS no comparison.
post #14798 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 01:37 PM

ActionTec G router is a n router. It has dual antenna (give away that it is a true n router) and has 1G Ethernet ports. Verizon only gives those out to people with a 150 Internet service at this time.
post #14799 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Does anyone know if Westchester and Rockland Counties in New York have gotten the 1.9 upgrade? That's all I need to pull the trigger on switching from DirecTV to FIOS. Even though I've been a DirecTV customer for nine years, I've watched FIOS TV in other homes and I have to say the user interface is much better with DirectTV.

I don't know about those counties but it's not in NYC/Long Island. My wife's uncle just switched over from TWC, in Queens and they told him 1.9 will come next year but I don't know how accurate that is.

I'm in the same boat as you, spoiled by D*'s WHDVR Service, currently with 3 DVRs sharing with each other and another HD receiver. If I switched to FiOS, I would be willing to give up 1 DVR but I can't see giving up 2.

My other issue is with the monthly rental fees. With D*, it's currently $18 ($6 for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rooms..the 1st is free), +$7 DVR Service fee + $3 WHDVR (MRV) fee..that's $28. With FiOS for an HDDVR with MRV: $19.99, 2nd HD DVR $15.99, 3rd room $9.99, 4th room $9.99...That's: $55.96!

I would rather not have to go the Moxi or TiVo route either.

Even if I take one of their triple play bundles, when you factor in the equipment rentals + taxes/fees, I think I would save only $7/month. That's giving up a DVR and only in the promo period.

They told me I'm not eligible for the "free HD DVR with MRV for life" because I'm an existing FiOS customer. I have FiOS internet and phone.

I want to see 1.9 come out and I would like to see MSG HD. I can't believe they haven't added this yet. I'm not a Ranger fan but I do enjoy watching the Knicks (in HD).

I wish it would make more sense to switch but it doesn't seem to. My issue with D* is the temporary loss of the signal in significant storms.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #14800 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

I don't know about those counties but it's not in NYC/Long Island. My wife's uncle just switched over from TWC, in Queens and they told him 1.9 will come next year but I don't know how accurate that is.

I'm in the same boat as you, spoiled by D*'s WHDVR Service, currently with 3 DVRs sharing with each other and another HD receiver. If I switched to FiOS, I would be willing to give 1 DVR but I can't see giving up 2.

My other issue is with the monthly rental fees. With D*, it's currently $18 ($6 for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rooms..the 1st is free), +$7 DVR Service fee + $3 WHDVR (MRV) fee..that's $28. With FiOS for an HDDVR with MRV: $19.99, 2nd HD DVR $15.99, 3rd room $9.99, 4th room $9.99...That's: $55.96!

I would rather not have to go the Moxi or TiVo route either.

Even I take one of their triple play bundles, when you factor in the equipment rentals + taxes/fees, I think I would save only $7/month. That's giving up a DVR and only in the promo period.

They told me I'm not eligible for the "free HD DVR with MRV for life" because I'm an existing FiOS customer. I have FiOS internet and phone.

I want to see 1.9 come out and I would like to see MSG HD. I can't believe they haven't added this yet. I'm not a Ranger fan but I do enjoy watching the Knicks (in HD).

I wish it would more sense to switch but it doesn't seem to. My issue with D* is the temporary loss of the signal in significant storms.

I too am a DTV pseudo convert ( still carrying part in case) and was also worried about the additional equipment fees. However, after speaking to a very willing and courteous csr, I came to find out that significant monthly equipment discounts exist when you bundle additional HD boxes with the mrdvr service. I currently have 2dvr + 4additional hd boxes and pay $42 a month. I am getting the mrdvr service free for 24 months as well as other tes as well for that period. I figure in 2 years it's time for a review and renegotiation if needed. Now, the whole home versus mrdvr functionality is a legit concern.. but if 1.9 is really all I'm hearing then that evens the playing field a bit.

In search of video bliss...
post #14801 of 18331 Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I too am a DTV pseudo convert ( still carrying part in case) and was also worried about the additional equipment fees. However, after speaking to a very willing and courteous csr, I came to find out that significant monthly equipment discounts exist when you bundle additional HD boxes with the mrdvr service. I currently have 2dvr + 4additional hd boxes and pay $42 a month. I am getting the mrdvr service free for 24 months as well as other tes as well for that period. I figure in 2 years it's time for a review and renegotiation if needed. Now, the whole home versus mrdvr functionality is a legit concern.. but if 1.9 is really all I'm hearing then that evens the playing field a bit.

Interesting. Thanks.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #14802 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't speak for Westchester but Rockland does not have 1.9 as of this morning.
post #14803 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
1.9 has only rolled out to one DAC servicing 3 VHOs so far (14,15,15a).

It has not progressed beyond the initial roll out as of yet. Word from someone that seems to be in the know is that no more VHOs will be updated this month and that the roll out will continue early May. It will hopefully accelerate as it goes on.

Then again, Twitter Joe is saying that it's possible there could be a roll out this week depending on how the weekend went in those VHOs. So, who knows really. He's also hinted that we could possibly see BBC-A HD OnDemand before the channel actually goes live.
post #14804 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbaby View Post

Been using mine since December. Works flawlessly.

Just know that once you hook up an external drive, it becomes the primary drive for recordings. The internal drive will not be used until the external drive becomes full. Also, the external drive is married to the DVR used to initialize it. If that DVR fails - POOF! - all your recordings are gone. (Which is really no different than having a DVR filled with recordings dying.) You can hook the drive up to a different DVR, but you cannot watch whatever is recorded on it.
post #14805 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

It has not progressed beyond the initial roll out as of yet. Word from someone that seems to be in the know is that no more VHOs will be updated this month and that the roll out will continue early May. It will hopefully accelerate as it goes on.

Then again, Twitter Joe is saying that it's possible there could be a roll out this week depending on how the weekend went in those VHOs. So, who knows really. He's also hinted that we could possibly see BBC-A HD OnDemand before the channel actually goes live.
There was a quote from someone "in the know" that VHO5 is scheduled for 5/25 though with the disclaimer of course, that it could change at any time depending on how the rollouts go in the other areas.
post #14806 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I heard someone was saying that GolTV is in HD in some Fios markets, just want make sure if it's true.
post #14807 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Please explain abbreviations, i.e., DAC, VHO, etc.
post #14808 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siersema View Post
ActionTec G router is a n router. It has dual antenna (give away that it is a true n router) and has 1G Ethernet ports. Verizon only gives those out to people with a 150 Internet service at this time.
Is it possible to buy one in a retail store or online?
In fact, I'd like to replace my Verizon router with just about any other Wireless N router, but it seems very few of them have coaxial inputs. Any suggestions?
post #14809 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to buy one in a retail store or online?
In fact, I'd like to replace my Verizon router with just about any other Wireless N router, but it seems very few of them have coaxial inputs. Any suggestions?
s2silber,
Buy the wireless N router that you want and use it today. Plug the new router into the Actiontech, shut down the Actiontech wireless and plug everything that you want hardwired at gigabit speed into your new router. Allow the Actiontech to hand out the addresses and it works great. Many of us are doing this now.

Here is a link for specifics on the setup.
post #14810 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post
s2silber,
Buy any wireless N router that you want and use it today. Plug the new router into the Actiontech, shut down the Actiontech wireless and plug everything that you want hardwired at gigabit spped into your new router. Allow the Actiontech to hand out the addresses and it works great. Many of us are doing this now.
Thanks, but how would I connect the ActionTec to the new router -- WAN to LAN? Also, how would I shut down the Actiontec wireless...do you mean just turn off the power? Sorry for the newbie questions.
post #14811 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but how would I connect the ActionTec to the new router -- WAN to LAN? Also, how would I shut down the Actiontec wireless...do you mean just turn off the power? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Follow the link I just added to my post above. It answers all of the set up questions that you have.
post #14812 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Please explain abbreviations, i.e., DAC, VHO, etc.
DAC = Digital Addressable Controller
VHO = Video Hub Office

1 DAC serves several VHOs and a single VHO serves an area.

DAC to VHO breakdown is:

DAC 13: 14, 15, 15a
DAC 07: 2, 11
DAC 01: 1, 3
DAC 05: 5, 6, 6a
DAC 09: 7, 8
DAC 03: 4, 9, 9a
post #14813 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

DAC in this case means "Digital Acquisition Center", not "Digital Addressable Converter".

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #14814 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBV View Post

Alright, now that fsc is in hd on fios I'm ready to make the switch. I'll go for some version of the triple play. Any advice on what I should be ordering re the fios tv? (For instance, when I ordered directv I learned from this forum that I should insist on a certain dvr if I wanted the antenna to route through the dvr...stuff like that). Or a version of the triple play that makes the most sense? (I'll probably go for the higher speed internet)

Oh, & fsc is now in hd, but I see no sign of fox soccer plus...anyone know if that's on the horizon?

Thanks in advance

They are giving a great deal on the Ultimate Triple Play package now (normal wired [not internet] phone + 35/35 internet + the ultimate HD package which includes just about every channel including all of the premiums) for I believe $135/month locked in for 2 years w/o a contract, and there is also a perk which gives you a free DVR for 12 months, I believe. I just recently signed up and am very happy with that package.
post #14815 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBV View Post

Oh, & fsc is now in hd, but I see no sign of fox soccer plus...anyone know if that's on the horizon?

Thanks in advance

FSC+ is not on the horizon, so don't expect it anytime soon. However, you are likely to see something called GOL added by FIOS (possibly sometime this year) long before FSC+

post #14816 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

DAC in this case means "Digital Acquisition Center", not "Digital Addressable Converter".

I'd just like to know how to track what areas have, or will be getting, the new 1.9 user interface.
post #14817 of 18331 Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
VHO Area DAC
14 Harrisburg, PA 13
15 Buffalo, NY 13
15A Syracuse, NY 13
2 Temple Terrace, FL 7
11 Pittsburgh, PA 7
7 Freehold, NJ 9
8 Philadelphia, PA 9
5 Queens, NY 5
6 Burlington, MA 5
6A Providence, RI 5
1 Carrolton, TX 1
3 Pomona, CA 1
3A Palm Springs, CA 1
4 Silver Spring, MD 3
9 Richmond, VA 3
9A Norfolk, VA 3

The guesstimated order... And supposed to begin again in May (2 and 11) with 14, 15, and 15a completed on 4/14.

Quote:

I'd just like to know how to track what areas have, or will be getting, the new 1.9 user interface.

post #14818 of 18331 Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I'll finally be moving to a FiOS available town soon, but I'll have to cancel my Directv service a few months early (3) of the end of my contract. What are the chances Verizon would be willing to give me some bill credits on a new FiOS service account to make up my early termination fee if I jump ship from Directv early to switch to them? Has anyone hear ever had success with that and if so could you give some advice on what to say?

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #14819 of 18331 Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anyone in New York area on Fios please tune in to channel 584 , because FSC in HD just went live. Great picture.
post #14820 of 18331 Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Anyone in New York area on Fios please tune in to channel 584 , because FSC in HD just went live. Great picture.

yep - only 15 days after the initial roll-out - now that's what I call timely performance. Fits in with Verizon's definition of "coming soon".
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page