post #14851 of 18212 Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post
Has it? All I ever recall is Twitter Joe saying that BBCA and GolTV were "near the top" (or something equally noncommital).
Anytime BBCA is mentioned, he's basically all but said it's the next HD channel add. It's been about as committal as you get out of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14852 of 18212 Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is there a way to turn off this annoying "check out CNN on twitter press the fios button on your remote" thing that keeps popping up on CNN? There enough screen diahrea without fios putting up more.
post #14853 of 18212 Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
7 years in the courts before TiVo finally got a settlement from dish. As innovative as TiVo is, their survival is based on suing companies. Their subscribers numbers have been dropping every quarter for many years. If TiVo wins any suit against Verizon, it will be many years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan
http://www.wtop.com/?sid=2366766&nid=

Now that Tivo has won its DVR patent infringment case against Dish and has its sights set on Verizon, those of you who got a free DVR for life might be sitting on a gold mine. The rest of us will most likely see our DVR rental rates increase to pay for the settlement/award with Tivo.
post #14854 of 18212 Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Is there a way to turn off this annoying "check out CNN on twitter press the fios button on your remote" thing that keeps popping up on CNN? There enough screen diahrea without fios putting up more.

Yeah there is.
don't watch CNN.
post #14855 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck's Dad View Post

My guess is zero chance. I have no facts to back that up but VZ already spends a relative fortune on setting up customers...equipment and installation. Plus....VZ still bundles DirecTV with its services in some markets so I'm not sure that VZ paying part of your early termination fee would do much to foster good relations between the two companies.

Well good news! They are in fact crediting my account the estimated amount of the 3 month early termination charge! What's more, they've already credited it to me although I can still cancel my order for FiOS. I actually asked them about what if I decided to cancel my order, and they said "don't worry about it." Apparently they are confident I will definitely be sticking with my order.

The guy also said there was a special promotion going on when I called for homes with FiOS hardware already installed for no contract, 35/35 internet speed, along with my TV package which has 2 boxes with DVR and phone for $140/month (taxes included) for 2 years. Not sure what it will go up to after that but it definitely beats the pants off what I was paying for Verizon DSL and Directv.

And if anyone is wondering all I said was "that I had 3 months left on my Directv contract and could Verizon possibly credit me some of the termination fee if I place an order for FiOS today?" The guy put me on hold for a few minutes to ask his boss then came back and said that it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if this would work for everyone but good luck if you are trying.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #14856 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't cancel D until you try out the FIOS system. I had their DVR which was horrible and you can't netowrk each box like D. A firmware upgrade and new boxes are suppose to have been the solution. It may be and if it's then I'l give it a try again. I had FIOS for three days before I cancelled several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Well good news! They are in fact crediting my account the estimated amount of the 3 month early termination charge! What's more, they've already credited it to me although I can still cancel my order for FiOS. I actually asked them about what if I decided to cancel my order, and they said "don't worry about it." Apparently they are confident I will definitely be sticking with my order.

The guy also said there was a special promotion going on when I called for homes with FiOS hardware already installed for no contract, 35/35 internet speed, along with my TV package which has 2 boxes with DVR and phone for $140/month (taxes included) for 2 years. Not sure what it will go up to after that but it definitely beats the pants off what I was paying for Verizon DSL and Directv.

And if anyone is wondering all I said was "that I had 3 months left on my Directv contract and could Verizon possibly credit me some of the termination fee if I place an order for FiOS today?" The guy put me on hold for a few minutes to ask his boss then came back and said that it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if this would work for everyone but good luck if you are trying.

post #14857 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone in NY have the 1.9 firmware upgrade?
post #14858 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Buffalo, NY & Syracuse, NY have 1.9. NYC is 1.8 until June based on what I know today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

Anyone in NY have the 1.9 firmware upgrade?

post #14859 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Go to Menu, Settings, Television, Interactive TV, Disable.
post #14860 of 18212 Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Thanks, been wondering about that myself.
post #14861 of 18212 Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Awesome. Thanks. There's enough crap on the screen without them putting more. I think the Twitter thing is the only "interactive" thing I've seen. Of course, don't watch much live TV if that drives it and the stuff doesn't show up on recordings.
post #14862 of 18212 Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The only other channel using Interactive TV is HSN. It was used during the Olympics.
post #14863 of 18212 Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I'm wondering if this has happened to others before....

When I try to access On Demand from the Menu it goes blank for a second and then kicks me back to the main menu. I've also tried using the direct button on the remote but that won't work, either. I can access On Demand with no problem on the set top box in the other room; it's only the DVR (6416 P2) in my main room that's having this problem.

BTW, I can access all other menus on the DVR without a problem, it's only the On Demand that I can't.

Advice??
post #14864 of 18212 Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Connect the DVR in place of the box that does work and see if it works there to rule out a wiring problem possibly blocking the MoCA signal.
post #14865 of 18212 Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I had an interesting issue over the weekend. I had been watching a movie on demand and when I tried to access it again I got an error. I tried again a few minutes later, same thing. I then realized that my wife was watching an on demand show in the other room. As soon as she was done I tried it again and the program started no problem. I have 2 DVR's. Is there an issue with 2 dvr's simultaneously accessing on demand programs?
post #14866 of 18212 Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I had an interesting issue over the weekend. I had been watching a movie on demand and when I tried to access it again I got an error. I tried again a few minutes later, same thing. I then realized that my wife was watching an on demand show in the other room. As soon as she was done I tried it again and the program started no problem. I have 2 DVR's. Is there an issue with 2 dvr's simultaneously accessing on demand programs?

Verizon FiOS On Demand programming is delivered over IP, which has limited bandwidth. This makes it very problematic to watch two HD on-demand programs simultaneously, especially if your internet plan is not very fast.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #14867 of 18212 Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Later on last night I turned on the TV to watch something and the DVR spontaneously re-booted. When it came back on the On Demand was accessible again. Weird.
post #14868 of 18212 Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Later on last night I turned on the TV to watch something and the DVR spontaneously re-booted. When it came back on the On Demand was accessible again. Weird.

Mine rebooted for no reason right around 9:30 pm (EST) Wednesday night. Ruined the end of Modern Family & start of Cougar Town.
post #14869 of 18212 Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Heavy Internet usage, HD On Demand, HD Multi Room & Multi Hub at the same time certainly tax the system and issue happen. I wonder if they can up the amount of data throughput? As HD and HD Multi Room/Hub become more wide spread I would think these issue will happen more often and will need to be addressed.
post #14870 of 18212 Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Verizon FiOS On Demand programming is delivered over IP, which has limited bandwidth. This makes it very problematic to watch two HD on-demand programs simultaneously, especially if your internet plan is not very fast.

You should be able to run two simultaneous streams though. I could be mistaken, but I believe there's enough capacity to run four.

But you can have issues with heavy network traffic.
post #14871 of 18212 Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

You should be able to run two simultaneous streams though. I could be mistaken, but I believe there's enough capacity to run four.

But you can have issues with heavy network traffic.

Four SD streams, maybe. HD streams, not so much. I've had problems running two concurrent HD streams at my friend's house.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #14872 of 18212 Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

You should post in the 1.9 forum so you can send the log to Vz support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Mine rebooted for no reason right around 9:30 pm (EST) Wednesday night. Ruined the end of Modern Family & start of Cougar Town.

post #14873 of 18212 Old 05-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Any additional word on the 1.9 rollouts for May?

Waiting impatiently in Monmouth Cty. NJ.
post #14874 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Posted on the FIOS forum by twitter Joe:

"We are pausing for a moment to incorporate some customer feedback into 1.9 (e.g. SD Override wizard and improved contrast between the text and background)... we'll be back in action shortly."

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Y...p/308837#M6350

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post

Any additional word on the 1.9 rollouts for May?

Waiting impatiently in Monmouth Cty. NJ.

post #14875 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Only Verizon would call a month a "moment."
post #14876 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Reminder of how bad the guide is

last night FNC was showing "9/11 as it happened"....guide info stated: MSNBC uses actual footage from it's archives etc etc

Brilliant. I know it's nit picky but it's just a symptom of the bigger problems of the guide info
post #14877 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

last night FNC was showing "9/11 as it happened"....guide info stated: MSNBC uses actual footage from it's archives etc etc

Brilliant. I know it's nit picky but it's just a symptom of the bigger problems of the guide info

And then over on MSNBC, they were supposed to be showing "inside the mission to kill Bin Laden" but the programming was completely different.
post #14878 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

And then over on MSNBC, they were supposed to be showing "inside the mission to kill Bin Laden" but the programming was completely different.

Correct forgot about that but I noticed that too. When I saw the show title I stopped, and after about 15 seconds realized it wasn't it.
post #14879 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

My NYC TWC guide had a partial error here, too. Watched first hour of this slated 2-hour show, then switched to PBS at 9 pm ET. Noticed at about 9:50 pm MSNBC had a different program, not the second hour. Notice more obvious errors from time to time--probably not all that much percentage-wise considering 24 hrs/365 and the number of channels, though. -- John
post #14880 of 18212 Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Major flaw with the Verizon guide info is when another network had a program with the same title. They need to replace whoever is supplying their guide info.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page