Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 499 - AVS Forum
First ... 497  498  499 500  501  ... Last
HDTV Programming > Verizon FiOS HDTV
scott_bernstein's Avatar scott_bernstein 10:21 AM 06-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

I also don't think they'll start rolling out MPEG4 until this is complete and I want my Cartoon Network and BBC-A in HD damnit.

The latest update people "in the know" are giving is that there will be NO new HD channels for the rest of this year.

bull3964's Avatar bull3964 10:56 AM 06-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

The latest update people "in the know" are giving is that there will be NO new HD channels for the rest of this year.

And this 1.9 delay is likely the cause for this.

Not very long ago, Twitter Joe claimed that we would most defiantly have BBC-A in HD before Doctor Who ended its season. We know how his claims go.

For me, Verizon hasn't added any new HD channels that I've cared about for almost 2 years. The last group that did anything for me was the Viacom group that brought Comedy Central HD and that was back in July of 2009.

I'll never go back to Comcast, but they may start losing other people that don't hold as large as a grudge. Verizon is charging a premium for a premium service but they are really starting to lag on some notable channels.
scott_bernstein's Avatar scott_bernstein 11:04 AM 06-15-2011
Quote:

And this 1.9 delay is likely the cause for this.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure that these are related. I think the problem is that the proposed solution of enabling MP4 video compression for some HD channels requires a 7XXX series box, and my guess for the reason for the delay is that they apparently do not have enough of stock of them yet for the massive influx of demand for these boxes that will be generated if people are required to swap them out to get some HD channels they're entitled to.

Just my guess, though.
bull3964's Avatar bull3964 11:18 AM 06-15-2011
However, here are a list of enhancements in the 1.9 release notes.

Quote:

IMG 1.9 is our most significant upgrade to FiOS TV’s guide since we introduced the Interactive Media Guide in 2007. There were few portions of the guide software that weren’t enhanced in this release.

New look and feel with higher resolution graphics and smooth animations*
Re-design of search and better integration throughout the guide
Expansion of guide data to include complete cast information and air date
New Channel Guide view providing another option for navigating live TV content
Recommendations for live TV content
Ability to select the Widgets that are displayed in the carousel
More parental control tools and a configuration wizard
Overhaul of Message Center
Improved 3DTV support
Support for Descriptive Video Service, native pass through, 1080p, and MP3 and MPEG-4 decoding on select devices.
A long list of DVR and multi-room DVR enhancements
Even more ways to customize the guide to your personal preferences

scott_bernstein's Avatar scott_bernstein 11:25 AM 06-15-2011
Quote:

However, here are a list of enhancements in the 1.9 release notes.

Correct. With the "Select Devices" being 7XXX boxes. Which is exactly what I've said above. Even if 1.9 were widely deployed I do not believe that Verizon currently has the inventory of 7XXX boxes they'd need to support the high demand that tying certain HD channels to them would generate.
dougotte's Avatar dougotte 11:35 AM 06-20-2011
Has anyone with the 7xxx DVR had issues with it losing network connectivity? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks, and nearly every other day I have to reset the box (via the Menu In Home Agent features).

I'm bracing myself for another cheerful phone experience w/ Tech Support, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Doug
scott_bernstein's Avatar scott_bernstein 12:12 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Has anyone with the 7xxx DVR had issues with it losing network connectivity? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks, and nearly every other day I have to reset the box (via the Menu In Home Agent features).

I'm bracing myself for another cheerful phone experience w/ Tech Support, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Doug

I have not experienced anything of this sort...and I've had mine since Feb. Might it be an issue with your router? Or your in-home wiring?
jamieva's Avatar jamieva 12:43 PM 06-20-2011
You know for all that we love about the service, no new HD until 2012 is really putting me close to my breaking point with them. This is 2 years in a row now that we got unfulfilled promises in regards to HD. I feel like I'm a Comcast customer again.
mproper's Avatar mproper 12:51 PM 06-20-2011
My 7216 has suddenly really slowed down in recognizing remote commands for navigating menus (left-right-up-down). I thought maybe my remote was going, but it still works fine with my other devices. Also got out the original remote with same issue.

The little green light that flashes on the front of the box when it gets a command seems to only be registering about every 3rd or 4th push.

Guess I too have to brace for another support call. yay.
nyctveng's Avatar nyctveng 01:24 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

My 7216 has suddenly really slowed down in recognizing remote commands for navigating menus (left-right-up-down). I thought maybe my remote was going, but it still works fine with my other devices. Also got out the original remote with same issue.

The little green light that flashes on the front of the box when it gets a command seems to only be registering about every 3rd or 4th push.

Guess I too have to brace for another support call. yay.

Reboot the box, should fix it
dougotte's Avatar dougotte 02:08 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I have not experienced anything of this sort...and I've had mine since Feb. Might it be an issue with your router? Or your in-home wiring?

I thought of that possibility. The old box didn't have any issues, and I didn't change any settings for the new box in the router (the DVR is wireless from the router). I'll hunt around in the router settings anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug
mproper's Avatar mproper 03:02 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

Reboot the box, should fix it

Yeah, I tried that (unplugged for 30 seconds and plugged back in) and still not having any luck with it.
jmschnur's Avatar jmschnur 03:04 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah, I tried that (unplugged for 30 seconds and plugged back in) and still not having any luck with it.

Have you tried an i ir extender that plugs into the back?
nyctveng's Avatar nyctveng 03:56 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper

Reboot router and any other boxes if u have mr-dvr
DFL426's Avatar DFL426 03:57 PM 06-20-2011
Love FiOS... no issues here. Signed up two weeks ago. Comcast is terrible and a complete rip off.
belsokar's Avatar belsokar 10:38 PM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Thanks,
Doug

I've had that same exact issue...I watch alot of on demand, and just about every day for the last few weeks I have had to power cycle my box to get it to work again...it's very annoying, but I'm too lazy to contact tech support...I have a 7232 box (if that's the correct one)...The 320gb box...
mproper's Avatar mproper 06:25 AM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Reboot router and any other boxes if u have mr-dvr
Ah, a reboot of all my boxes seemed to have fixed it. Thanks.
Jakes's Avatar Jakes 06:53 AM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
You know for all that we love about the service, no new HD until 2012 is really putting me close to my breaking point with them. This is 2 years in a row now that we got unfulfilled promises in regards to HD. I feel like I'm a Comcast customer again.
Curious... what HD channel(s) are you missing that you need so badly or else you might break?
dougotte's Avatar dougotte 06:57 AM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by belsokar View Post
I've had that same exact issue...I watch alot of on demand, and just about every day for the last few weeks I have had to power cycle my box to get it to work again...it's very annoying, but I'm too lazy to contact tech support...I have a 7232 box (if that's the correct one)...The 320gb box...
Thanks for the confirmation.

Last night, I checked my router settings as per Scott's suggestion. I couldn't find any settings that were odd, especially when comparing the new DVR to the other older boxes.

If the problem recurs, I'll try call Support and will post my results, if any.

Doug
Jakes's Avatar Jakes 06:58 AM 06-21-2011
I have a new option in the main menu - FiOS Digital Voice. It looks like I can now view call logs, listen to voice mail and set calling features through the STB menu. However, when I try to access the features it tells me that I do not have Digital Voice and to call Verizon to activate. I do have Digital Voice though so I don't get it? Anyone else see this or try this yet? I guess I will have to call Verizon to straighten this out.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 08:42 AM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post
I have a new option in the main menu - FiOS Digital Voice. It looks like I can now view call logs, listen to voice mail and set calling features through the STB menu. However, when I try to access the features it tells me that I do not have Digital Voice and to call Verizon to activate. I do have Digital Voice though so I don't get it? Anyone else see this or try this yet? I guess I will have to call Verizon to straighten this out.
Mine seems to work.
Dmon4u's Avatar Dmon4u 01:23 PM 06-21-2011
FiOS should never end up virtually last to carry an HD channnel, such as the Cartoon Network !
jamieva's Avatar jamieva 03:31 PM 06-22-2011
Engadget reporting that 1.9 rollout will resume next week

http://hd.engadget.com/2011/06/22/ve...ith-sd-overri/
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 04:50 AM 06-23-2011
Quote:

When I see it I'll believe it.

Actually the page they show looks very much like what a page in the current VOD looks like. I don't watch much VOD, but my wife and I were surprised when we called up info in VOD the other day and got a page that looked just like what engadget showed.
markjrenna's Avatar markjrenna 07:04 AM 06-23-2011
The VOD 1.9 look was completed in the 1.8 roll out. 14, 15, & 15A are slated for the end of June with 1.9A and new Firmware. If the next two - three weeks go well then the next set of VHO's roll with 1.9A mid July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

When I see it I'll believe it.

Actually the page they show looks very much like what a page in the current VOD looks like. I don't watch much VOD, but my wife and I were surprised when we called up info in VOD the other day and got a page that looked just like what engadget showed.

TimGoodwin's Avatar TimGoodwin 01:07 PM 06-23-2011
How can you tell what VHO you are in?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 01:14 PM 06-23-2011
^^^

clicky
DCFan's Avatar DCFan 01:20 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:

A poster on DSLreports says that some in VHO's 14, 15, and 15a got it last night.
DCFan's Avatar DCFan 01:22 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post

How can you tell what VHO you are in?

We're in 4.
TimGoodwin's Avatar TimGoodwin 01:34 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post

We're in 4.

Thank you!
First ... 497  498  499 500  501  ... Last

Up