Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtped View Post

When can I get this in my area?

Ive had FIOS internet for over a year.

When it's approved by what ever group of officials in your area that oversee the cable companies. Could be the city or county council.

JohnG
post #1533 of 18257 Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM

Liked: 10
I wish verizon would add tivo software to their boxes, then maybe i could switch from directv since they'll eventually stop using tivo.
post #1534 of 18257 Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

I wish verizon would add tivo software to their boxes, then maybe i could switch from directv since they'll eventually stop using tivo.

Rumers abound that there will be a major software upgrade to Verizon DVRs end of '06 - begining of '07. One poster was told by a Verizon exec that it would be a "bad idea" to buy a Series3 TiVo until the software upgrade was pushed out. Sounds interesting enough to wait until after the holidays when the Series3 should drop in price anyway.

»ken«
post #1535 of 18257 Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenA View Post

Rumers abound that there will be a major software upgrade to Verizon DVRs end of '06 - begining of '07. One poster was told by a Verizon exec that it would be a "bad idea" to buy a Series3 TiVo until the software upgrade was pushed out. Sounds interesting enough to wait until after the holidays when the Series3 should drop in price anyway.

Yeah, they may have a major software upgrade but I doubt it will be nearly as good as a TiVo. With the number of errors I found after a couple of hours using the 6416 it is hard to see Verizon to release a product that works. I could totally see them releasing the new software and say that they are still working on the series manager. And of course charge you full price while it takes them 6 months to get out of beta. Look at series manager and the episode list for any given show and tell me that the next show is not going to be recorded on 10/1 or 10/2. Go to the IPG and record a show on 10/25 without looking at a calendar, good luck cuz there are no dates on it. It is like MS saying wait until Vista for a good OS.
post #1536 of 18257 Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
The Business of TV
Verizon Hiring FiOS CSRs
By Steve Donohue MultiChannel News 10/19/2006

Verizon Communications said Thursday that it is hiring 320 new customer-service agents to support its new FiOS Internet and FiOS TV products.

As the company expands the rollout of its fiber-delivered high-speed-data and pay TV products, Verizon said it will add customer-service positions at its Fiber Solutions Centers in Dallas; Hampton, Va.; Oxnard, Calif.; Providence, R.I.; Syracuse, N.Y.; and Everett, Wash.

Verizon projected that it will count 725,000 FiOS Internet and 175,000 FiOS TV customers by the end of 2006.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6383077
post #1537 of 18257 Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Wife called this morning to say Verizon was laying the fiber today in my neighborhood. I'm in Medford, NJ (Springhouse Development).
post #1538 of 18257 Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody else notice that HdNet is no longer in the FiOS channel guide. I checked both my FiOS HD DVR and the HD receiver, no HdNet!!!

I live in Northern Virginia.
post #1539 of 18257 Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 PM

In Tampa, FL HDNet is still listed.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #1540 of 18257 Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

Anybody else notice that HdNet is no longer in the FiOS channel guide. I checked both my FiOS HD DVR and the HD receiver, no HdNet!!!

I'm still getting HDNet and HDNet Movies (including guide info) in Nothern Virginia.
post #1541 of 18257 Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 573
It's still in mine too.
post #1542 of 18257 Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Ken, what has your experience been with FiOS. They are starting installs in my township here in a couple weeks and I am very interested in checking it out as the savings over Comcast appear to be substantial. I get to keep Comcast Sportsnet in HD too but no INHD.
post #1543 of 18257 Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

You might want to check the channel guide settings. There's a way you can delete things from your regular program guide (and add them back too)

Hit the menu button, then select settings, then select channel list and favorites, then click the change channel list. All the channels that appear in your program guide will have a check by them. Those that don't will not appear in your channel guide. Scroll down and see what the story is on HDNet.
post #1544 of 18257 Old 10-22-2006, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldevns View Post

You might want to check the channel guide settings. There's a way you can delete things from your regular program guide (and add them back too)

Hit the menu button, then select settings, then select channel list and favorites, then click the change channel list. All the channels that appear in your program guide will have a check by them. Those that don't will not appear in your channel guide. Scroll down and see what the story is on HDNet.

It could also be a hockey blackout thing. FIOS's way of blacking out channels is to just temporarily delete them.
post #1545 of 18257 Old 10-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me more about the FiOS VOD offerings? I'm specifically interested in what is offered on the Kids VOD channel. Do they change on a weekly basis?

Thanks
post #1546 of 18257 Old 10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn12341234 View Post

Can anyone tell me more about the FiOS VOD offerings? I'm specifically interested in what is offered on the Kids VOD channel. Do they change on a weekly basis?

Thanks

Free Kids
Discovery Kids
Disney
Nickelodeon
Kids Unlimited

Not sure how often they are updated, definitely monthly. Discovery Kids is a bit limited, Dis. and Nick have a good variety. Kids Unlimited gets 0 viewing time in my household with an 11 year old and 5 year old.

JohnG
post #1547 of 18257 Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

curious if you know off the top of your head, whether or not thomas the tank engine is shown on any of those? thanks again.
post #1548 of 18257 Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

curious if you know off the top of your head, whether or not thomas the tank engine is shown on any of those? thanks again.

Not that I recall.

JohnG
post #1549 of 18257 Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe Thomas is shown on PBS Kids and that is not offered unfortunately on Verizon FIOS. I have put a request into them that they add the channel. Everyone who would like them to add it as well should call up and put in a request.
post #1550 of 18257 Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

if FiOS in your area offers the full local PBS multicast then PBSKids would available that way.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1551 of 18257 Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

if FiOS in your area offers the full local PBS multicast then PBSKids would available that way.

What is Multicast? I had PBS Kids with Directv but not with FIOS.
post #1552 of 18257 Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The Business of TV
FiOS TV Subs Double in 3Q
By Todd Spangler MultiChannel News October 30, 2006

Verizon Communications more than doubled the number of FiOS TV customers in the third quarter of 2006, adding 63,000 new subscribers during the period to stand at 118,000 as of Sept. 30, the company said in reporting quarterly financial results Monday.

The company said FiOS TV was available to 1.2 million homes across all of its markets at the end of the third quarter, meaning that the service has about a 10% rate of penetration.

Verizon offers FiOS TV in nine states, and it has obtained rights to deliver television service to 3 million homes.

Verizon also ended the quarter with 496,000 customers for the DirecTV service bundle it sells, having added 64,000 net new customers during the quarter. For the first nine months of 2006, Verizon added 170,000 DirecTV subscribers.

The company said, "New broadband and video sales have more than made up for a reduction in primary wireline voice access lines of customers who turned to wireless, cable or Internet-protocol services."

The telco's primary residential access lines decreased by 419,000 during the third quarter of 2006 compared with the previous quarter, while it added 539,000 residential broadband and video customers over the same period.

AT&T, meanwhile, said last week that it has signed up 3,000 subscribers for the fledgling U-verse IPTV service. The company began deploying U-verse TV in June in San Antonio, and it expects to roll out the service to 15 markets by the end of 2006.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News
post #1553 of 18257 Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

I believe Thomas is shown on PBS Kids and that is not offered unfortunately on Verizon FIOS. I have put a request into them that they add the channel. Everyone who would like them to add it as well should call up and put in a request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

Just as a point of clarity ... "PBS Kids" covers alot of ground ...

1.) There's the "PBS Kids" and "PBS Kids Go!" branding.

PBS brands shows aimed towards younger 3-10 year old kids ("PBS Kids") and older schoolage kids ("PBS Kids GO!"). PBS provides "PBS Kids" and "PBS Kids GO!" programming blocks in their feeds sent to affilaites. There's also additional "PBS Kids" and "PBS Kids GO!" branded content available to local affiliates via other PBS distribution methods.

Verizon, PBS, and APTS reached a deal where Verizon will carry the majority of PBS stations OTA channels (including multicasted channels). So, chances are if it's on PBS OTA in your area ... it's on Fios TV. Then again, there's limits and non-reptitive clauses and not all PBS affiliates are APTS members and what-not so ... check your local channel lineups. Here in DC Verizon seems to carry every OTA PBS channel and multicast available.

However, "PBS Kids" and "PBS Kids Go!" aren't really properly described as their own channels ...

2.) There's the "PBS Kids Sprout" channel.

This is a national 24/7 cable / dbs linear channel along with VOD content. Yes, much of the content on "PBS Kids Sprout" is also available from your local PBS OTA affiliate (on their main channel or multicasted). But ... there's also alot of content on "PBS Kids Sprout" that isn't available from your local affiliate. "PBS Kids Sprout" is carried by DirecTV and many cable companies (most notably Comcast and Cox). "PBS Kids Sprout" is not currently carried by Verizon Fios TV, and it wouldn't be accurate to say that it's available (on Fios) via PBS multicasts.

"PBS Kids Sprout" isn't without its controversies. In 2005 "PBS Kids Sprout" replaced the commercial-free "PBS Kids Channel". The "PBS Kids Channel" was also a national cable / dbs channel that had been up since 2000 but it was commercial free and while it was funded by carriers (mostly DirecTV) it was still owned and controlled by PBS. DirecTV decided not to renew its licensing deal which led to "PBS Kids Sprout" in 2005. "PBS Kids Sprout" is a partnership owned by Comcast (40%), HIT Entertainment (30%), PBS (15%), and Sesame Workshop (15%). Yup ... only 15% ownership by PBS. "PBS Kids Sprout" airs commercials. "PBS Kids Sprout" also (not too surprisingly) seems to heavily favor shows from HIT and Sesame.

3.) There's the (now defunct) "PBS Kids Channel" (see above).

4.) There (was) the idea of a national "PBS Kids GO!" channel.

This was announced earlier this year to start in October. PBS was going to expand the "PBS Kids GO!" programming block to a full-time feed available to local affilaites (similar to "PBS Create" and other similar PBS initiatives). This would have been carried on PBS multicasts by local affiliates (that chose to do so). Through the Verizon / PBS / APTS deal (see above) it would have been carried by Verizon in markets where the local affiliates carried it. However, very few PBS affiliates signed up for it and the idea of a full-time "PBS Kids GO!" channel has been postponed.

5.) There's various "Kids" or "Family" branded channels (or programming blocks) from local PBS affiliates.

A local PBS affiliate (or group of affilaites) may produce their own "Kids" or "Family" subchannel based on the various content available to them. Many have (ie, "WETA Family" or "WMPT Kids"). Again, through the Verizon / PBS / APTS deal (see above) most of these should end up getting carried by Verizon. However, these can be very different affiliate to affiliate. Then again, since they're pulling from alot of shared content they can be very similar ...

Clear as mud?
post #1554 of 18257 Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Verizon cable on more Del. TVs? State may decide Tuesday
By AARON NATHANS, The News Journal
Posted Monday, October 30, 2006 at 10:31 am

The state Public Service Commission is expected to rule Tuesday on Verizon's application to provide cable television to Delaware's unincorporated areas.

Verizon, the nation's largest phone company, is working to challenge cable giant Comcast, which is dominant in Delaware cable. A large portion of Verizon's fiber-optic network of cable lines is already set up, passing in front of tens of thousands of Delaware households.

Verizon has already secured franchise agreements in several incorporated areas of the state.

The commission held public input sessions on the application in late August.
Contact Aaron Nathans at 324-2786 or anathans@delawareonline.com.

from: http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p.../NEWS/61030016

~Dennis
PS3 ID: phlydude
My 60GB PS3 died from over heating - I have a strong feeling Folding didn't help
post #1555 of 18257 Old 10-31-2006, 02:02 PM

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...INESS/61031034

Verizon gets green light to offer TV service in Del.
By AARON NATHANS, The News Journal
Posted Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 3:02 pm
A Verizon lineman connects fiber-optic cable to a home in North Bellmore, N.Y., last spring. Verizon offers fiber-optic cable service in New York, Virginia and California. The company nationwide has 118,000 fiber-optic cable television customers. AP file

The Public Service Commission gave unanimous approval today to a franchise agreement that would allow Verizon to offer television to unincorporated parts of the state.

One of the major issues of contention was whether Verizon could pick and choose specific areas of the state to offer service, leaving the door open to pinpoint wealthy areas. Members of the PSC agreed they could penalize Verizon for failing to provide fair service.

Read more about Tuesday's PSC meeting in Wednesday's News Journal.

~Dennis
My 60GB PS3 died from over heating - I have a strong feeling Folding didn't help
post #1556 of 18257 Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The Business of TV
Verizon Sees Progress With FiOS TV Rollout
By David Goetzl Media Post Publications October 31, 2006

VERIZON CFO DOREEN TOBEN SAID Monday the company is making "steady progress" with the rollout of its FiOS TV service. The "telco TV" offering is now in 118,000 homes--10% penetration within its footprint of 1.2 million homes. "Customer acceptance in video is ahead of plans," she said.

However, on the third-quarter earnings call, Toben said Verizon plans to be in 175,000 homes by the end of the year--the same projections it has offered before.

She said churn is under 1.5% per month, showing consumers are happy with the service--while new features are coming soon.

Advertisers are watching the progress of telco TV carefully to gauge whether it becomes a viable competitor to cable, providing a new outlet for local spots. AT&T's U-verse is also in the market. With Verizon and AT&T eager to ramp up, they could offer lower ad rates as a way to compete with cable's local sales efforts.

Verizon added 63,000 FiOS TV homes in the third quarter, compared to 35,000 last quarter. The service is available in parts of seven states, and the company has been making an effort to grow adoption in the New York DMA, via TV spots in the pricey market.

The company has considerably wider distribution than AT&T, which is in a mere 3,000 homes in San Antonio--although the U-verse service also has a 10% penetration rate out of a 30,000-home footprint.

AT&T says it plans on a growth spurt over the next two months--with service in Houston rolling out next month, leading to a total of 15 markets by the end of the year. All customers will have the option of HD service.

Telecom companies want to offer TV service to compete with cable companies that have successfully moved into their turf with triple play offerings that include phone service. The telecoms, however, could potentially offer a quadruple play, with TV, phone, wireless and Internet service.

FiOS is a modest--but closely watched--part of Verizon, which saw third-quarter revenues rise 25.8% to $23.3 billion over the same period a year ago.

http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=50402
post #1557 of 18257 Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 AM

I'm looking to sign up for FIOS and I have read several posts but I still had a few specific questions for current FiOS subscribers in the Northern VA Area, I live in Ashburn, I have read that in this area the SD PQ can be poor:

1) How is the SD PQ via a SD-STB? Is it better in No VA than DirectTV, Dish and Adelphia as others around the country have stated?

2) How is the SD PQ via a HD-STB?

3) How is the Multi-room DVR option? How is the PQ? Can you only watch SD recorded shows? or can you watch HD and it downconverts? Can you manager the recordings via a remote STB? schedule and delete?

4) How is the music playlist and slideshow option? is it simple to setup and use?

EDIT:
I plan to get a multi-room HD-DVR, and 3 SD-STB. I need the SD PQ on the STB to be good as my wife will be watching this and via Adelphia and TV tuner is pretty good currently.

I know with adelphia and other cables companies the SD PQ can be very poor via a HD-STB, that is not my main concern but do want to be able to watch CSN on the HD-STB
post #1558 of 18257 Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 AM

#1 - people rave about the PQ on all, including SD - D* is highly compressed compared to others
#3 - I can tell you you can only watch HD content on the HD box...it does NOT downconvert

Here is a good forum with lots of talk specifically on Fios, you will probably be able to search out your answers there:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

~Dennis
post #1559 of 18257 Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee11 View Post

I'm looking to sign up for FIOS and I have read several posts but I still had a few specific questions for current FiOS subscribers in the Northern VA Area, I live in Ashburn, I have read that in this area the SD PQ can be poor:

1) How is the SD PQ via a SD-STB? Is it better in No VA than DirectTV, Dish and Adelphia as others around the country have stated?

2) How is the SD PQ via a HD-STB?

3) How is the Multi-room DVR option? How is the PQ? Can you only watch SD recorded shows? or can you watch HD and it downconverts? Can you manager the recordings via a remote STB? schedule and delete?

4) How is the music playlist and slideshow option? is it simple to setup and use?

EDIT:
I plan to get a multi-room HD-DVR, and 3 SD-STB. I need the SD PQ on the STB to be good as my wife will be watching this and via Adelphia and TV tuner is pretty good currently.

I know with adelphia and other cables companies the SD PQ can be very poor via a HD-STB, that is not my main concern but do want to be able to watch CSN on the HD-STB

I have three HD-STBs for my three HD TVs and three SD-STBs for three non-HD LCD TVs. The SD channels on the three non-HD LCD TVs are better than D*TV, the HD channels on the HD TVs are aslo better than D*TV, but I would say the SD channels on my HD TVs are about the same as D*TV. I know everyone has different experience but that's my observation.
post #1560 of 18257 Old 11-01-2006, 02:11 PM

I have Comcast, Verizon FIOS TV and RCN in my region. I see no compelling reasons to switch to Verizon FIOS. Verizon boasts of fiber and 'unlimited' bandwidth but does not differentiate from the other two providers in a major way. The number of channels are approximately the same ( both SD and HD). Comcast scores over RCN and Verizon with enormous VOD content. RCN scores with relatively inexpensive broadband service. Inspite of having 'unlimited' bandwidth and signed contracts for HGTV-HD and FOOD-HD , Verizon does not transmit the channels. I am going to switch to RCN for the best price. I am not too happy with Verizon customer service. RCN is not any better but offers a similar service for a lower price.

John Doe
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page