AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Ken-
I haven't actually seen the Cisco's in person - but heard from a few friends' that got them. Based on their feedback pretty solid - I also heard they were a LOT more cost friendly than the Moto's from VZ's standpoint.

My daughter has a Cisco, I have a 7332.... as far as I can tell, there is no real difference. I think the Cisco is a tad more responsive, but that's only because I am picky

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16502 of 18257 Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
DNW

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

DNW, I think there is a list of "compatable" eSATA drives somewhere on the myVerizon website. A good place to start anyway.

I tried a couple of external hard drives. The first one worked for a couple of days, then stopped working. I substituted a different drive, which was not recognized at all. I just got off the phone with Verizon. They told me I could upgrade to the 7232 (I think that's the model number) with about 50 hours of internal storage, for $39.95. That's a one time charge, no increase in monthly costs. However, if I ordered a replacement because of a mechanical issue with my current unit, there would be no charge, but I might get the same model number or the newer model. I went with the no cost swap-out. My new DVR has been sent overnight mail, so I might have it as early as tomorrow.

Interestingly, the representative told me that she has not heard of anyone using eSata with the 25 hour model, even though it does take an external drive. She said that when people are using eSata, they almost always have the 50 hour model.

I will report back when it arrives and I hook it up.

BTW, when eSata stopped working, I lost all previously recorded shows, even the ones recorded on the internal drive. They are listed, but won't play.
post #16503 of 18257 Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Ken-
I haven't actually seen the Cisco's in person - but heard from a few friends' that got them. Based on their feedback pretty solid - I also heard they were a LOT more cost friendly than the Moto's from VZ's standpoint.

Not Verizon specific, but the costs of comparable boxes between cisco and motorola are very close. Verizon may have brought in a cisco to keep moto from having a monopoly on their network and keep costs in control although having dual conditional access systems is a nightmare.
post #16504 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post

I tried a couple of external hard drives. The first one worked for a couple of days, then stopped working. I substituted a different drive, which was not recognized at all. I just got off the phone with Verizon. They told me I could upgrade to the 7232 (I think that's the model number) with about 50 hours of internal storage, for $39.95. That's a one time charge, no increase in monthly costs. However, if I ordered a replacement because of a mechanical issue with my current unit, there would be no charge, but I might get the same model number or the newer model. I went with the no cost swap-out. My new DVR has been sent overnight mail, so I might have it as early as tomorrow.

Interestingly, the representative told me that she has not heard of anyone using eSata with the 25 hour model, even though it does take an external drive. She said that when people are using eSata, they almost always have the 50 hour model.

I will report back when it arrives and I hook it up.

BTW, when eSata stopped working, I lost all previously recorded shows, even the ones recorded on the internal drive. They are listed, but won't play.

I have the Moto 7232 model and am using a Cavalry enclosure with 2TB drive. I installed it sometime around Thanksgiving. It recorded a show and then at some point, either the HDD or the set-top lost it's mind and the drive was no longer showing up. When I finally got around to adding it again, when I selected "Enable more storage" so I could go through the process again, it told me the drive was already enabled and I just needed to reboot the set-top box so it could see drive. Did that and it still wasn't there. Did it again. Still not there. Cycled power to the hdd and then did it one last time and the set-top finally saw the hdd again and my recording was still on it. I did not, however, check the recording so it could very well be the same for me, that it is listed but won't play. That wsa 3 days ago now, I will check it sometime over the weekend to ensure it is still being seen by the stb and recording shows to it.
post #16505 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 AM

Does anyone else think that the STB HDD should be filled up before the external HDD is used or am I the only one? Seems odd to me the way they implemented it.
post #16506 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Jakes-
I was part of the beta team that got 1.9 back in December of 2010. Funny you said that. Alot of us thought the same thing at the beginning - but the thought was to write to the external drive 1st, to allow the main DVR to keep it's storage at a minimum if possible - in order to handle basic features such as buffering, etc...

To me, at least, it made more sense after the engineers gave us their explanation.
post #16507 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Oh I get it, they would rather have the wear and tear on our gear before their own gear. Makes perfect sense to me too from a Verizon perspective!
post #16508 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

Does anyone else think that the STB HDD should be filled up before the external HDD is used or am I the only one? Seems odd to me the way they implemented it.

If you were so inclined, you could fill an external drive, put it on the shelf, and connect another drive. Repeat until you run out of shelf space.
A drive can be reconnected to the same DVR at any time and the shows on it will be intact.
post #16509 of 18257 Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Jakes-
I was part of the beta team that got 1.9 back in December of 2010. Funny you said that. Alot of us thought the same thing at the beginning - but the thought was to write to the external drive 1st, to allow the main DVR to keep it's storage at a minimum if possible - in order to handle basic features such as buffering, etc...

To me, at least, it made more sense after the engineers gave us their explanation.

My very noisy first external hard drive would attest that they do NOT do buffering on the internal. I actually did some experimentation around that.

Upon a fresh boot, the STB would use the internal for the buffers. However, once you started recording anything, the buffers would shift to the external. You can see evidence of this as well when you eject the drive, the live buffers get cleared out.

It would make sense to put the live buffers on the internal and I would certainly prefer that they did that, but that's not the way it's working currently.
post #16510 of 18257 Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:

Ken-

Interesting. I'm surprised then that VZ doesn't phase out the Mot boxes over time...unless it's too onerous a task.
post #16511 of 18257 Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM

I'm cross-posting this from a thread I started in the HDTV Technical sub-forum. I figured someone in this thread might have an answer for me.

Prior to the two Cisco STBs I have now (both are 335HDC units), I used to have Motorola STBs and on those you could hit Power -> Select -> Select (with the STB already powered on) and be able to access a "hidden" diagnostic menu.

This sequence of keys (tried on both the STB itself and the remote) does not work for the Cisco boxes. I'm experiencing some stuttering with HD VOD content and was really hoping to take a look at the diagnostics to see if I could glean any info which might help me solve the problem.

Anyone know what key sequence is necessary to access this menu on the Cisco STBs?
post #16512 of 18257 Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM

A question on something I should already know, but don't!
If I have 3 or more shows I want to record at the same start time, I can look at the schedule, find them, pick the ones that will be rebroadcast later during the week (USA Network, TNT, etc.), choose a later start time amd I'm good.
How do I set up the DVR to record the same show at the later start time every week? I can't seem to get it to do this. The weekly feature always defaults to the first showing.....

Thanks,
nw
post #16513 of 18257 Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post

If I have 3 or more shows I want to record at the same start time, I can look at the schedule, find them, pick the ones that will be rebroadcast later during the week (USA Network, TNT, etc.), choose a later start time amd I'm good.
How do I set up the DVR to record the same show at the later start time every week? I can't seem to get it to do this. The weekly feature always defaults to the first showing.....

Thanks,
nw

Doesn't it have a priority order for recording like TiVo does? With those you would give shows that are repeated multiple times a lower priority for recording than one that is only shown once. It's worked great for the 10+ years I've been using TiVos.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16514 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
nw

Make sure you are set to record all episodes in any time slot (not first run only). Then set priorities for the shows. This is all in the DVR menu (the menu one level above where the recordings are).
post #16515 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 12
Verizon and Redbox forming a joint venture.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...138772929.html
post #16516 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post

Make sure you are set to record all episodes in any time slot (not first run only). Then set priorities for the shows. This is all in the DVR menu (the menu one level above where the recordings are).

I'll try this, but I think I did this while back and ended up with a HD full of White Collar reruns during a marathon weekend. or multiple of the same episode....can recall.

Will it only record the next run of the new episode?

thanks,
nw
post #16517 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'll try this, but I think I did this while back and ended up with a HD full of White Collar reruns during a marathon weekend. or multiple of the same episode....can recall.

Will it only record the next run of the new episode?

thanks,
nw

You can select a specific channel in the options, and I think you can choose a specific time, too.

Doug
post #16518 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

You can select a specific channel in the options, and I think you can choose a specific time, too.

Doug

I record a number of shows including white collar specifically in the middle of the night.
post #16519 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Exploring free VOD options after a new FIOS install and discovered numerous options like this, including a Japanese garden, stills of Dutch paintings, and more, with most (~55 mins) set to electronic 'mood' music, although the Dutch stills, I think, used Chopin piano pieces. The VOD program options, in general, seemed endless, with submenus upon submenus. -- John
post #16520 of 18257 Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I had a homemade eSATA 2TB drive in a SATA housing and it was skipping and louder than a jet-plane. I bought a refurb 2TB Phantom Greendrive off Amazon and it's nice and quiet and seems to be glitch free (at least for now). Worth the extra money just for the silence.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #16521 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone having a bad FIOS TV outage in the DC/MD area?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #16522 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Some problems here
post #16523 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

What channels? No issues that I know of here.
post #16524 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post

What channels? No issues that I know of here.

Ok now for me.took several minutes to change from 504 to 526.
post #16525 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I haven't had any outages, but I for several weeks I've been experiencing pixelation, macro blocking and general breakup in just every show for a few seconds. I have many recorded and just about all of them show it, though never for very long. My internet connection is great at 35/35 but the compression or other issues in the TV signal are not good.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #16526 of 18257 Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I haven't had any outages, but I for several weeks I've been experiencing pixelation, macro blocking and general breakup in just every show for a few seconds. I have many recorded and just about all of them show it, though never for very long. My internet connection is great at 35/35 but the compression or other issues in the TV signal are not good.

Yes that too.
post #16527 of 18257 Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Yes that too.

In Richmond too.
post #16528 of 18257 Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In Richmond too.

I'm in Richmond and haven't seen any problems. To be more specific, served by the central office at 34th & Hull St.
post #16529 of 18257 Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Delco pa, I get tons of macro and pixelating. I also get it going into nearly every commercial break, which seems odd.
post #16530 of 18257 Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Is there anyone that can use the PDA app for remote control that does NOT have FiOS as their ISP?

Cb
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page