Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 555 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #16621 of 18331 Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had Disney junior added to their service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 18331 Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvision View Post

Yes. Happened to me twice this week in central jersey.

Same for me in Dallas.
post #16623 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Has anyone had Disney junior added to their service?

Yes - in Boston SD channel 260.
post #16624 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

Yes - in Boston SD channel 260.

Still nothing in Central Jersey
post #16625 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Is anybody else having a problem where their favorite channels disappear? So far, I've had ESPN & ESPN 2 disappear twice from my Favorites 1, and just now I was looking to see what was on HDNET, and it was also gone from my Favorites 1 lineup. I'm trying to access them from the IMG. This has been happening for about a week now.

Quote:

Yes. Happened to me twice this week in central jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Same for me in Dallas.

Getting this all on the new page...

I'm in Dallas too. My set top box is the Moto 7232. After this happened the first time I decided to remove both sets of Fav's and start over. I use the Settings menu item on the STB, as opposed to the total crap myVerizon website to set them up. I also have a Harmony 1 remote, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. If anyone has a solution to this I'd like to know what it is.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #16626 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Called VZ again today was told that 3 Hubs were down and that all the missing channels should be back by 2:00 EDT. This affects the following areas:
Parts of MD, NJ, NY, VA and PA.

Of course the channels are still missing.

Tried all the fixes that have been suggested by VZ and whats said online and still nothing.

Finally tried the Repair link online and that did not work either. Of course it did produce a

" Verizon committed to resolving the outage by 3/26/2012 11:52 AM EDT."

The CSR said she's had over 470 calls about this today.

As always there's some out there that say they have fixed the problem and that they are getting all their channels.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #16627 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From the Hot off the Press thread:
Whither SOAPnet?

Disney-ABC has not done a good job with messaging about today's launch of Disney Jr., which was expected to replace SOAPnet but in many cases it's not. Here's what's happening on local systems:

• Comcast will switch from SOAPnet to Disney Jr. but not until April 23.

• Verizon's FiOSTV will keep SOAPnet and add Disney Jr. on Channel 260 on March 29.

• Armstrong cable will likely keep SOAPnet until the end of 2012 and then switch it to Disney Jr.

Among national satellite companies, DirecTV will keep SOAPnet for the foreseeable future and has no plans to add Disney Jr. Two DISH Network publicists did not respond to requests for comment.

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
post #16628 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Did I miss something? I don't recall hearing that IFC HD is now part of the middle tier package; I hope I'm not getting it by mistake. Also, I didn't recall hearing that ION HD was added at some point. Two nice surprises (well, one nice surprise -- IFC -- but new TV is new TV.
post #16629 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting IFC HD too. Maybe part of a weekend freebie?

post #16630 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdviewer25 View Post

From the Hot off the Press thread:
Whither SOAPnet?

Disney-ABC has not done a good job with messaging about today's launch of Disney Jr., which was expected to replace SOAPnet but in many cases it's not. Here's what's happening on local systems:

o Comcast will switch from SOAPnet to Disney Jr. but not until April 23.

o Verizon's FiOSTV will keep SOAPnet and add Disney Jr. on Channel 260 on March 29.

o Armstrong cable will likely keep SOAPnet until the end of 2012 and then switch it to Disney Jr.

Among national satellite companies, DirecTV will keep SOAPnet for the foreseeable future and has no plans to add Disney Jr. Two DISH Network publicists did not respond to requests for comment.

As i posted above, Boston already has Disney Jr., early I guess according to this report.
post #16631 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
So when's Disney Jr. HD getting added to FiOS? As usual, the true HD leader, Bright House, has already added it.

Seems rather silly to get all excited about a new SD channel in 2012. Standard definition television has been completely unacceptable for years.
post #16632 of 18331 Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have a few questions and hopefully you folks here can help out a little bit.

1) Did they ever upgrade the guide to HD? I used to have Fios and this was supposed to roll out last year sometime. I am moving back to an area that had Fios and I have setup an install date. This would be a nice plus as I found the old guide slow. If new, is it a nice improvement?

2) I know they were upgrading the cable boxes to the 7000 series. I used to have a 6000 (6416 maybe) series and I didn't mind it. Are they only doing the new boxes now and are they an improvement or should I try to get the older box if possible?

3) I last had Fios June 2011. Is there anything that has changed for the better or worse since then? I know a lot of people complain about the HD lineup (that was all the talk back then, lol). Pretty much all of the channels I watch were in HD then except History International (which is now H2).

4) Did they get rid of History 2??? I can't find it on their lineup and that would suck. Since the History channel barely has history shows on anymore.

5) Any other comments about Fios are welcome.

Thank you in advance for any help. I am very excited to get Fios back, as I cannot stand Comcast.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #16633 of 18331 Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

"Yes. Happened to me twice this week in central jersey. "

Happened to me twice in Northern VA.
post #16634 of 18331 Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, I was having trouble yesterday as well and finally found something that worked (at least for me and at least three other of my Facebook friends). If you're still having the problem, it's worth a shot:
  1. I went into my DVR into Menu -> Customer Support -> STB/DVR Auto Correct.
  2. Then press right arrow for NEXT and then again to START.
The "Loading" thing then shows, but it doesn't spin so it looks like it's locked up, but it did come back (maybe 5 or 6 minutes later) and then all my channels worked.

I suspect there's still issues because my DVR is slow as balls here and there (Like i can press a series of buttons, and it never responds until about 30 seconds later, then it goes through all the commands). But at least I have my TV back.
post #16635 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

So when's Disney Jr. HD getting added to FiOS? As usual, the true HD leader, Bright House, has already added it.

Disney Jr SD was added on Channel 260 and Smithsonian SD on 134 today in VHO8 and VHO7. Smithsonian HD also moved from 625 to 634.

Also, as some other areas also noticed, the MLB Extra Innings / NHL Center Ice HD channels have moved to 1470/1471.

This is to make room for the launch of 3 additional HD channels (Channels 3-5) on 1472, 1473, and 1474.

I am calling this out as these will be the first pure MPEG-4 HD channels on FIOS. Only Motorola 7xxx STB's and Cisco's will be able to view these channels.

This is only the beginning. Some additional channels have already been identified that will convert also to MPEG-4 in order to create more capacity.
post #16636 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anybody else with one of the new boxes have problems with it being completely unresponsive, or extremely laggy to the remote at times? I have this about once on a daily basis. I have to cut off the STB, cut it back on, and everything is fine but is annoying.
post #16637 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you mean by "cut off"? Turn off and turn on, or unplug the box then plug it back in? Also, did you try mproper's suggestions above?

I'm still getting IFC HD; checked for any recent messages about this addition and checked the "what's new" (or whatever it's called) menu item and there was nothing mentioned about it. I'm certain that IFC wasn't part of my tier before last week.

post #16638 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

This is to make room for the launch of 3 additional HD channels (Channels 3-5) on 1472, 1473, and 1474.

I am calling this out as these will be the first pure MPEG-4 HD channels on FIOS. Only Motorola 7xxx STB's and Cisco's will be able to view these channels.

This is only the beginning. Some additional channels have already been identified that will convert also to MPEG-4 in order to create more capacity.

Do we know the content for 1472-1473 and those other channels 'identified' to become MPEG-4?

Derek
post #16639 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Do we know the content for 1472-1473 and those other channels 'identified' to become MPEG-4?

Ditto, since I still have the 6XXX series box. Would like to know if the new channels are worth paying $40 for the upgrade.

post #16640 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is that part of the expanded HD offerings for the sports packages that has been rumored for almost a year now?
post #16641 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry - i can see that my post wasn't clear.

1472, 1473 and 1474 will be 3 additional MLB Extra Innings HD channels. In Demand now offers all of the Game and Team channels in HD to all providers. Brighthouse in FL actually carries all 18 of them. FIOS will now carry 5 of the MLB/NHL ones (Game HD 1-5), but still only 1 of the NBA/MLS ones (Team HD).

Can't comment on the additional ones just yet...
post #16642 of 18331 Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

So I got my FIOS Triple Play Extreme HD package setup here as of 3/16.
Took about 5 - 6 hrs in all.

They were taking a good pace at the beginning when they came (2 guys) but after lunch they sped it so fast and I couldnt keep up and they kind of rushed the training session at the end and I didnt get to ask all my questions and stuff I wanted to know.

I was upgrading/converting from DirecTV using SD receivers and TIVO DVRs for 10 years so my only HD was OTA. I had DSL 3 MB speed and phone service with Verizon (Double Play legacy customer)

Pretty happy to finally be able to see Lakers home games in HD not just away games (HD on KCAL 9 w/ OTA).

I got the Moto 7232 in the living room and kids bedroom. Is there a way to know if its the full 500 GB version or a lesser sized HDD in there? It just tells me how full it is % wise but not the actual full size capacity in GBs. I know you can upgrade to the 500 GB version for $40. So far Im ok on size and havent filled it up yet as Im still learning the channels and shows. Not as much programs running for me to record as before (no more new episodes of the regular Law and Order or L&O : and Criminal Intent )

Also is there a way to NOT link my living room DVR to his DVR. Id rather he not be able to see my shows. Its nice to have a 2nd DVR as a backup to record another show if there is a conflict or mine gets full (actually he is recording a lot more cartoons than I am shows each day) but I dont see an option to HIDE my DVR or not allow sharing
I *do* want to keep the sharing for the living room DVR and my bedroom SetTop Box receiver only (non DVR) though as that is my 2 areas of viewing.

Some issues Ive had:

1) This is Fiber Optics but on some shows i notice digital noise (large square blocks) that messes up the video for a sec or 2 randomly. This is similar to when we had a heavy storm on Satellite. Why does FIOS have this noise?

2) My HD box (non DVR - QiP 7100 2) in my bedroom is just plugged in waiting for my new TV to arrive so I can hook it all up. They said to just leave it there until I get the TV and then set it up. When they left it was working fine.
For the 1st week it showed the time on the front panel but now it shows nothing. I tried plugging and unplugging but same. I havent called them yet about it. I havent even used it yet. Did it die on me? I saw a little tiny blinking light on the front panel. Is that an error code? Does it go to "sleep" mode if not used / not connected to anything for an extended period of time?

3) I got the 25/25 package for internet. I am getting 25-30 MB download steadily (awesome instant internet compared to 3 MB DSL speeds) but I have only seen 5-6 MB upload speeds. How can they claim 25 up when its not? I dont FTP upload files . Download is the main thing of course for streaming Netflix and Roku channels so its not a big deal but just wondering what everyone else was seeing on upload speed for their 25 package?

Things that are different/dont like about FIOS:

1) I dont like the multi-layer menus to go to the end item to play/delete as much as my TIVO system.

2) The Series Manager is a little different than Im used to so not sure if I like it less or not yet.

3)I would also like to have a filter like I had on DTV/TIVO to filter the channels I received, I also used to be able to add/delete channel by channel on TIVO for the ones I wanted to see in the guide or not but dont see this on FIOS's guide!

4) DVR is a little laggy/slow which is a bit of a pain, compared to TIVO/DTV

General Questions:
1) Is everyone using the 1080i setting for your setup (with a full 1080p plasma TV) or the 720p setting instead to get the best pix?

2) Where is that link to the thread for the Moto 7232 Cheats, Tips. Tricks and FAQ document I read once here but cant find it now.

3) Once I hook up my bedroom dummy non DVR box up, if I have a recorded show on my Master DVR in the living room, and I play it on the settop box, will I be able to pause / FF since it was recorded on a DVR or will I just be able to play it with no pauses?
I assume live TV cant be paused on the dummy ST Box?

Thanks all

Hope I dont regret switching to FIOS instead of upgrading my SD DirecTV to HD

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #16643 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

So I got my FIOS Triple Play Extreme HD package setup here as of 3/16....

Quote:
I got the Moto 7232 in the living room and kids bedroom. Is there a way to know if its the full 500 GB version or a lesser sized HDD in there? It just tells me how full it is % wise but not the actual full size capacity in GBs. I know you can upgrade to the 500 GB version for $40.

Requested and got a 7232, too, in January. which AIUI does have 500 GB. They'd brought a 6000-series for installation.

Suggest tracking down how to enter diagnostic mode to check GB status of 7232s. With other DVRs that's one way of measuring how much capacity each program consumes (before/after readings).

Selecting MENU on the remote, then DVR/Enable More Storage, provides a URL address at Verizon for info on external drives. They recommend several tested drive models.

Slightly OT, discovered during two recent tennis matches more about FIOS PQ. Spotted it the first day of viewing, compared to my former Time Warner Cable viewing, but the obvious clarity of tennis net webbing on my 1080p plasma has been striking. On TWC last year and earlier, webbing was unresolvable, even close to the screen, most of the time.

Similarly, when the current Miami tennis matches switched from 1080i Tennis Channel coverage to 720p ESPN2, the net webbing fell to near-unresolvable. Don't plan on using 720p DVR output for 720p channels, since trying that a while back worsened PQ. That might differ with other setups. -- John
post #16644 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

So I got my FIOS Triple Play Extreme HD package setup here as of 3/16.
Took about 5 - 6 hrs in all.

They were taking a good pace at the beginning when they came (2 guys) but after lunch they sped it so fast and I couldnt keep up and they kind of rushed the training session at the end and I didnt get to ask all my questions and stuff I wanted to know.

I was upgrading/converting from DirecTV using SD receivers and TIVO DVRs for 10 years so my only HD was OTA. I had DSL 3 MB speed and phone service with Verizon (Double Play legacy customer)

Pretty happy to finally be able to see Lakers home games in HD not just away games (HD on KCAL 9 w/ OTA).

I got the Moto 7232 in the living room and kids bedroom. Is there a way to know if its the full 500 GB version or a lesser sized HDD in there? It just tells me how full it is % wise but not the actual full size capacity in GBs. I know you can upgrade to the 500 GB version for $40. So far Im ok on size and havent filled it up yet as Im still learning the channels and shows. Not as much programs running for me to record as before (no more new episodes of the regular Law and Order or L&O : and Criminal Intent )

Also is there a way to NOT link my living room DVR to his DVR. Id rather he not be able to see my shows. Its nice to have a 2nd DVR as a backup to record another show if there is a conflict or mine gets full (actually he is recording a lot more cartoons than I am shows each day) but I dont see an option to HIDE my DVR or not allow sharing
I *do* want to keep the sharing for the living room DVR and my bedroom SetTop Box receiver only (non DVR) though as that is my 2 areas of viewing.

Some issues Ive had:

1) This is Fiber Optics but on some shows i notice digital noise (large square blocks) that messes up the video for a sec or 2 randomly. This is similar to when we had a heavy storm on Satellite. Why does FIOS have this noise?

2) My HD box (non DVR - QiP 7100 2) in my bedroom is just plugged in waiting for my new TV to arrive so I can hook it all up. They said to just leave it there until I get the TV and then set it up. When they left it was working fine.
For the 1st week it showed the time on the front panel but now it shows nothing. I tried plugging and unplugging but same. I havent called them yet about it. I havent even used it yet. Did it die on me? I saw a little tiny blinking light on the front panel. Is that an error code? Does it go to "sleep" mode if not used / not connected to anything for an extended period of time?

3) I got the 25/25 package for internet. I am getting 25-30 MB download steadily (awesome instant internet compared to 3 MB DSL speeds) but I have only seen 5-6 MB upload speeds. How can they claim 25 up when its not? I dont FTP upload files . Download is the main thing of course for streaming Netflix and Roku channels so its not a big deal but just wondering what everyone else was seeing on upload speed for their 25 package?

Things that are different/dont like about FIOS:

1) I dont like the multi-layer menus to go to the end item to play/delete as much as my TIVO system.

2) The Series Manager is a little different than Im used to so not sure if I like it less or not yet.

3)I would also like to have a filter like I had on DTV/TIVO to filter the channels I received, I also used to be able to add/delete channel by channel on TIVO for the ones I wanted to see in the guide or not but dont see this on FIOS's guide!

4) DVR is a little laggy/slow which is a bit of a pain, compared to TIVO/DTV

General Questions:
1) Is everyone using the 1080i setting for your setup (with a full 1080p plasma TV) or the 720p setting instead to get the best pix?

2) Where is that link to the thread for the Moto 7232 Cheats, Tips. Tricks and FAQ document I read once here but cant find it now.

3) Once I hook up my bedroom dummy non DVR box up, if I have a recorded show on my Master DVR in the living room, and I play it on the settop box, will I be able to pause / FF since it was recorded on a DVR or will I just be able to play it with no pauses?

Thanks all

Hope I dont regret switching to FIOS instead of upgrading my SD DirecTV to HD

You can get TiVos to use with FiOS and it will cost you much less money over time as well. IN the 4.5 years I've been with FiOS, If I had rented their DVRs during this time, I would have paid much more than I have with the several Tivos I've used on FiOS during that time.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16645 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The ones I can address:

Quote:

You can program favorites on the web, using the stb, or using an app on your phone/tablet and then set your favorites to show instead of the full guide. I haven't used this lately, but have been meaning to try it out again. When we first got this feature years ago, the favorites didn't wrap around when you got to the end and that annoyed me.

General Questions:

I have the 7232 and I have used the service menu to set to native passthrough. So happy we got this feature finally. Before, I believe I actually set mine to 1080i as most channels are 1080i. When we watched sports on ESPN and the few other channels that do 720p, I changed to 720p if I remembered and cared enough.

Quote:

You will have full fwd/rev/pause on the non-dvr STB for any recorded content. You can also now schedule recordings, season recordings, and delete shows from the remote STB as well. You can not pause/rev live tv on the remote STB--you need a DVR for that.
post #16646 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:

You can use 'Favorites' to filter the channels so that only the ones you want show in the Favorites Guide.
post #16647 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post

You can use 'Favorites' to filter the channels so that only the ones you want show in the Favorites Guide.

There is also a filter for subscribed channels only.
post #16648 of 18331 Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post

Yeah, I find this to be one of the most useful features of the FIOS DVR software. I set up my favorites to show only the channels I'm interested in and default my guide to only show my favorites, and everything is so much easier to deal with that way...
post #16649 of 18331 Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there any chance FiOS can send a command to turn the STB back on after they do a system wide reboot?

The occasional Friday reboots by FiOS of all the STBs is very annoying if you are using an external DVR and miss recordings because the STB is off after this happens.
post #16650 of 18331 Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Is there any chance FiOS can send a command to turn the STB back on after they do a system wide reboot?

The occasional Friday reboots by FiOS of all the STBs is very annoying if you are using an external DVR and miss recordings because the STB is off after this happens.

....I highly doubt this. Can't you program your external DVR to always turn the box on before it starts recording and turn it off after it's done (the same way you program it to change the channels)?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page