AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Programming > Verizon FiOS HDTV

HDTV Programming

DCFan's Avatar DCFan
05:23 AM Liked: 12
post #18121 of 18409
05-28-2014 | Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So are you saying people with FiOS can't use TiVos?

Give me a break with the stupidness. You've been a regular FiOS user and a terrific board contributor for many years. You've stated your fondness for Tivo ad nauseum and I've stomached it. But now your one voice has turned into a cacophany of many and it's turned what was a nice FiOS forum into a FiOS/Tivo forum. The endless comparisons and debates of the two products are too much for me.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
05:37 AM Liked: 851
post #18122 of 18409
05-28-2014 | Posts: 22,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post

Give me a break with the stupidness. You've been a regular FiOS user and a terrific board contributor for many years. You've stated your fondness for Tivo ad nauseum and I've stomached it. But now your one voice has turned into a cacophany of many and it's turned what was a nice FiOS forum into a FiOS/Tivo forum. The endless comparisons and debates of the two products are too much for me.

So i made one comparison in the last two weeks and that is called endless?

And over the last nine months I only see several comparsons. With only two in 2014. How is that endless? That is a gross exaggeration.
LL3HD's Avatar LL3HD
04:19 PM Liked: 27
post #18123 of 18409
05-28-2014 | Posts: 5,409
Quote:

So i made one comparison in the last two weeks and that is called endless?

And over the last nine months I only see several comparsons. With only two in 2014. How is that endless? That is a gross exaggeration.
biggrin.gif this is funny.
It's a perception thing. I've been reading AVS since around your joining, if not longer, and I have to say, whenever I see your name next to a post all I think of is TiVo. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif This is not a knock. It is just the perception. I've learned a lot about TiVo from you and thank you for it.
BiggAW's Avatar BiggAW
07:05 PM Liked: 57
post #18124 of 18409
05-28-2014 | Posts: 1,352
Quote:

Considering that the best way to enjoy FIOS TV service is with a TiVo, it is an entirely logical connection. Comcast and FIOS have TiVo, DirecTV has Genie, DISH has Hopper, and AT&T has some crappy U-Verse boxes. Comcast and FIOS just have a different ownership model because of CableCard. If it weren't for TiVo, most of the tech-inclined people like those on this forum wouldn't have FIOS TV, as they wouldn't be willing to put up with POS Motorola cable boxes, even for the best TV service.
davehancock's Avatar davehancock
08:32 PM Liked: 38
post #18125 of 18409
05-28-2014 | Posts: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

. If it weren't for TiVo, most of the tech-inclined people like those on this forum wouldn't have FIOS TV, as they wouldn't be willing to put up with POS Motorola cable boxes, even for the best TV service.
Talk about stupidness!!

Enough of this TiVo crap!!!
sangs's Avatar sangs
06:42 AM Liked: 19
post #18126 of 18409
05-29-2014 | Posts: 3,681
Quote:

Considering that the best way to enjoy FIOS TV service is with a TiVo, it is an entirely logical connection. Comcast and FIOS have TiVo, DirecTV has Genie, DISH has Hopper, and AT&T has some crappy U-Verse boxes. Comcast and FIOS just have a different ownership model because of CableCard. If it weren't for TiVo, most of the tech-inclined people like those on this forum wouldn't have FIOS TV, as they wouldn't be willing to put up with POS Motorola cable boxes, even for the best TV service.

I have a FiOS DVR and I have a Tivo. There is good and bad with both. But honestly, everybody that sells Tivo as the be-all, end-all is sorely mistaken. I can count on one hand the amount of times my "POS" FiOS DVR has crashed in over three years. Conversely, I can count on one hand the amount of times my Tivo has crashed this month. (And I had FiOS the second it was available to me, had noting to do with Tivo.)
9179mhb's Avatar 9179mhb
11:22 AM Liked: 52
post #18127 of 18409
05-29-2014 | Posts: 446
Has anyone replaced the antenna's for their Actiontec MI424WR GigE routers?

Wi-Fi® High-Gain Omni Directional RP-SMA Antennas (-9dBi) are relatively inexpensive and I'm wondering if it can/will improve performance/connectivity for my wireless laptop, printer, PS3's & HDTV?

My router is located on the 2nd floor of my home with an ethernet connection to the ONT in the basement.

Generally, I use (3) wireless clients located on the 1st story and (1) in another bedroom on the 2nd floor.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
03:50 PM Liked: 851
post #18128 of 18409
05-29-2014 | Posts: 22,159
Your best solution is to have at least one AP on each floor. Two on each floor would even better though. I use several APs just for my single level condo. That way I can always get the fastest speeds available and also not have any congestion by having too many devices connected to one AP.
BiggAW's Avatar BiggAW
04:49 PM Liked: 57
post #18129 of 18409
05-29-2014 | Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

I have a FiOS DVR and I have a Tivo. There is good and bad with both. But honestly, everybody that sells Tivo as the be-all, end-all is sorely mistaken. I can count on one hand the amount of times my "POS" FiOS DVR has crashed in over three years. Conversely, I can count on one hand the amount of times my Tivo has crashed this month. (And I had FiOS the second it was available to me, had noting to do with Tivo.)

FIOS DVRs are cable DVRs with IP functionality enabled, and I know from experience how horrible cable DVRs are. Their menus are ugly, their controls don't work that well, they have tiny hard drives, they are absurdly expensive to rent, they are just horrible. TiVos don't crash often at all. They are getting less bad with X1, VMS, Cloud DVR, etc, but none of those are anywhere near the level TiVo is at. I'm not saying TiVo is perfect, far from it, but it's by far the best DVR on the market today. Without TiVo, virtually all of the tech-saavy users would be on DirecTV by now, not cable or FIOS.
Quote:

Your best solution is to have at least one AP on each floor. Two on each floor would even better though. I use several APs just for my single level condo. That way I can always get the fastest speeds available and also not have any congestion by having too many devices connected to one AP.

Plus, using the provider's router is always a bad idea. You are sort of forced to use it on U-Verse, but with cable you can completely use your own modem and router, and with FIOS, you can use your own router if you set up Ethernet from the ONT... From there, it depends on the size and layout of the dwelling in question. What I struggle with for a multi-AP setup is AP roaming, which never really seems to work, even if you make the SSIDs the same. At my parents' house, I have two APs set up, but both cover the whole house, so some devices use the 802.11G router in a horrible little corner of the basement (RF wise) with 251mw TX power and huge antennas so it works everywhere, and then the N600 router set up as an AP is just about in the middle of the house, so it works everywhere too, so AP roaming isn't an issue...
UnnDunn's Avatar UnnDunn
12:50 PM Liked: 13
post #18130 of 18409
05-30-2014 | Posts: 780
I am tech-inclined, I'm fully aware of the capabilities of TiVo and I had FiOS for four years (now I'm on Optimum). At no point did I ever really consider getting a TiVo, mainly due to the inflated cost. The FiOS TV Motorola boxes did a perfectly serviceable job.

Even now, I would not get a TiVo. If I felt so inclined, I would build a small-form-factor HTPC and run Windows Media Center on it, mated to my HDHomeRun PRIME. It would cost less to build than it would to buy a TiVo Roamio Plus.
davehancock's Avatar davehancock
04:04 PM Liked: 38
post #18131 of 18409
05-30-2014 | Posts: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

I am tech-inclined, I'm fully aware of the capabilities of TiVo and I had FiOS for four years (now I'm on Optimum). At no point did I ever really consider getting a TiVo, mainly due to the inflated cost. The FiOS TV Motorola boxes did a perfectly serviceableRoamio Plus.

I'm relatively new to FiOS (moved here from a TWC only area last July), and have a Cisco 435HDC box. Though it only has 2 tuners, it does have a 500GB drive and has been pretty much trouble free. I will say, however, that in general I find FiOS software to be inferior to TWC Navigator. Particularly the On-Demand software, which requires far too many "button pushes" to get to the OD program that I want.

How widely available is the Ciscpo 435 on FiOS systems?
sangs's Avatar sangs
04:33 PM Liked: 19
post #18132 of 18409
05-30-2014 | Posts: 3,681
Not sure. We have Motorola equipment in our neck of the woods. The new media servers - the VMS - supposedly comes to our area next week and I'm pretty certain it's Motorola also. However, I've seen pictures of the client boxes with Arris printed on them.
BiggAW's Avatar BiggAW
04:36 PM Liked: 57
post #18133 of 18409
05-30-2014 | Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

I am tech-inclined, I'm fully aware of the capabilities of TiVo and I had FiOS for four years (now I'm on Optimum). At no point did I ever really consider getting a TiVo, mainly due to the inflated cost. The FiOS TV Motorola boxes did a perfectly serviceable job.

Even now, I would not get a TiVo. If I felt so inclined, I would build a small-form-factor HTPC and run Windows Media Center on it, mated to my HDHomeRun PRIME. It would cost less to build than it would to buy a TiVo Roamio Plus.

TiVo is quite a bit cheaper than the MSO's DVRs, especially compared to VMS, which the TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro has superior functionality to.

MCE is another CableCard option, but it is a major PITA. TiVos have by far the best overall UX. They are easy to set up and use, and do way more than any MSO DVR.
sangs's Avatar sangs
07:11 AM Liked: 19
post #18134 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 3,681
Quote:

TiVo is quite a bit cheaper than the MSO's DVRs, especially compared to VMS, which the TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro has superior functionality to.

MCE is another CableCard option, but it is a major PITA. TiVos have by far the best overall UX. They are easy to set up and use, and do way more than any MSO DVR.

Well, since the FiOS VMS system literally just hit the streets this month, I'm not really sure how you can claim the Tivo "has superior functionality to." It very well may, but until there are enough VMS systems in the field to make a valid comparison, that just sounds like typical Tivo fanboydom. (And again, I have a Tivo Roamio/Mini setup, so you can't play the "You Don't Know Tivo!" card.) FiOS has plans for the VMS system that go beyond just transmitting programs to our TVs. How will it play out? Guess we'll see.
ftboomer's Avatar ftboomer
07:45 AM Liked: 11
post #18135 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 488
So, has anyone upgraded to the FIOS Quantum HD Media Center yet? Looks like a nice idea and might even be cheaper than the 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD Set top boxes I have.
sangs's Avatar sangs
09:10 AM Liked: 19
post #18136 of 18409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

So, has anyone upgraded to the FIOS Quantum HD Media Center yet? Looks like a nice idea and might even be cheaper than the 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD Set top boxes I have.

There's a pretty detailed thread about it here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29119552-DVR-All-Things-VMS-Quantum-TV

The pricing structure seems a little bit confusing in some areas. Be sure you know what you're getting into. Unfortunately, to use the new Quantum system (or VMS, if you will), you have to deactivate and return all your existing equipment. So if you currently have a free DVR for life from FiOS - like this guy - you can't keep that with the new Quantum setup. And the free DVR for life credit ($20 per month for me) is removed if you switch to Quantum. So I'll be sticking to my current FiOS 7232 DVR and Tivo setup as long as that's the case.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
01:46 PM Liked: 851
post #18137 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 22,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

Is it actually less expensive? I thought I read the fee they quote in their ads is on top of their HD box fee. So the price makes it seem lower than it actually is since they never mention the actual price since it's higher than anything they say.
joblo's Avatar joblo
01:49 PM Liked: 46
post #18138 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 1,415
Quote:

TiVos have by far the best overall UX. They are easy to set up and use, and do way more than any MSO DVR.

In your opinion.

I own 12 TiVos from Series 1 through 4, about 8 or 9 of which are in production at any given time. I also rent one FiOS Motorola, and one Cox SA, and I have close friends with Comcast and Uverse DVRs.

I’ve tried a Roamio, but so far I’m not buying Series 5s, because I think the TiVo HDUI is by far the most obnoxious UI I have ever seen, when it comes to pushing ads for programs and other products. An MSO DVR might have one program ad on screen while you’re looking at the guide or menus. Cox doesn’t do ads at all except in OnDemand menus, and you can easily bypass those with deep links to favorites. But TiVo puts 4 to 6 “suggestions” on screen through much of its menu system. I think they have deliberately made the Series 4 SD menus slower in order to push people to the HD menus, and they’ve removed some quick navigation options entirely from the HD menus to keep the “suggestions” (really ads) on screen longer.

TiVo is a company that bought its peace with copyright and IP extremists by becoming a Hollywood shill, relentlessly pushing product at their subscribers and presenting this as a service to the subscribers, even when those subscribers do everything possible to say they are not interested.

That said, TiVo does have advantages. For me, the main ones are the ability to archive programming and transfer it from machine to machine, so I don’t lose it if a machine or hard drive fails, and that I can take any TiVo from my house to any other place I want and play the recordings on any TV, with no need for an MSO connection or signal of any kind. I don’t know of any MVPD DVR that allows this.

But TiVo has disadvantages, too. The setup is longer and more involved than with most MSO DVRs, because a TiVo doesn’t know to what system it’s connected, until the user tells it. TiVo’s manual recording capabilities are primitive compared to most other DVRs today, because manual recording is against the TiVo philosophy and they don’t want you to do it. The HDUI actually makes manual programming much more difficult to manipulate. While MSO DVRs have steadily improved in this area over the years, TiVo has actually regressed.

But again, TiVo is a Hollywood shill, so if you confine your recordings to big name Hollywood product on the big name broadcast and cable nets, the guide data will be pretty good, and you largely won’t need manual recordings, anyway. It’s only when you move away from the Hollywood mainstream, to foreign language, religious, news, cable access, educational, low power, and other lesser viewed channels, that manual programming becomes essential because the TMS guide data is so consistently inaccurate, unreliable, or just plain uninformative.

I could go on for pages writing actual unbiased comparisons of TiVo with other DVRs, but this is a FiOS thread, and I would never convince the TiVophiles of anything, anyway. TiVophilia is practically a religion at this point, and nothing could convince a True TiVophile that the product they so love is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
geenice's Avatar geenice
04:00 PM Liked: 11
post #18139 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 13
Ditto. Keeping my "free"
sangs's Avatar sangs
04:14 PM Liked: 19
post #18140 of 18409
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

It’s only when you move away from the Hollywood mainstream, to foreign language, religious, news, cable access, educational, low power, and other lesser viewed channels, that manual programming becomes essential because the TMS guide data is so consistently inaccurate, unreliable, or just plain uninformative.

The only thing that confuses me about this part is why the Tivo guide information for these channels would be any different from FiOS, since they both use TMS for the guide data?
joblo's Avatar joblo
10:46 PM Liked: 46
post #18141 of 18409
05-31-2014 | Posts: 1,415
Quote:

Quote:

It’s only when you move away from the Hollywood mainstream, to foreign language, religious, news, cable access, educational, low power, and other lesser viewed channels, that manual programming becomes essential because the TMS guide data is so consistently inaccurate, unreliable, or just plain uninformative.

The only thing that confuses me about this part is why the Tivo guide information for these channels would be any different from FiOS, since they both use TMS for the guide data?

The guide isn't different anymore. I was not happy when FiOS switched to TMS, because previously, I could use the FiOS guide as a second source of program information. Now it has all the same errors as the TiVo and Cox guides.

But FiOS puts manual recordings all in the same folder, rather than naming them according to the erroneous guide data as TiVo does, and for a small number of manual recordings, I think the FiOS way is superior.
sangs's Avatar sangs
05:08 AM Liked: 19
post #18142 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 3,681
Quote:

The guide isn't different anymore. I was not happy when FiOS switched to TMS, because previously, I could use the FiOS guide as a second source of program information. Now it has all the same errors as the TiVo and Cox guides.

But FiOS puts manual recordings all in the same folder, rather than naming them according to the erroneous guide data as TiVo does, and for a small number of manual recordings, I think the FiOS way is superior.

Gotcha. I've never had the need to schedule a manual recording on my Tivo, so didn't realize that.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
05:59 AM Liked: 851
post #18143 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 22,159
Yes. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to schedule a manual recording on my TiVos over the last 12.5 years. It's been an extremely rare occurrence. Just like a missed recording has been extremely rare. But it takes two hands to count the number of times I've missed a recording on my TiVos over the last 12.5 years.
DCFan's Avatar DCFan
07:35 AM Liked: 12
post #18144 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 324
Apologies for interrupting another in a series of Tivo discussions but if I could break in for a quick FiOS question. I am getting the Quantum system delivered tomorrow and in looking thru the installation instructions it only shows a coax input being used to the new super, duper router. Is the ethernet cable from the ONT no longer needed? In my current setup I have both cables plugged into the Actiontec router (Rev C, I believe).
LL3HD's Avatar LL3HD
07:53 AM Liked: 27
post #18145 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 5,409
Quote:

I am getting the Quantum system delivered tomorrow and in looking thru the installation instructions it only shows a coax input being used to the new super, duper router. Is the ethernet cable from the ONT no longer needed? In my current setup I have both cables plugged into the Actiontec router (Rev C, I believe).
No answer-- but continued conversation regarding Quantum--

I got the Verizon email telling me Quantum is available and they will wave the $25 fee if I order by June 2.

There are additional charges for the two levels of service. I'm thinking about getting the lower level and adding a separate hard drive. This seems to be more economical. I don't need to record 12 (?) shows at once. Six is sufficient.

I have Apple's latest AirPort Time Capsule connected from the FiOs router. Will this "new super, duper router" fit in appropriately maximizing my system?
MeatChicken's Avatar MeatChicken
07:56 AM Liked: 41
post #18146 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

No answer-- but continued conversation regarding Quantum--

I got the Verizon email telling me Quantum is available and they will wave the $25 fee if I order by June 2.

There are additional charges for the two levels of service. I'm thinking about getting the lower level and adding a separate hard drive. This seems to be more economical. I don't need to record 12 (?) shows at once. Six is sufficient.

I have Apple's latest AirPort Time Capsule connected from the FiOs router. Will this "new super, duper router" fit in appropriately maximizing my system?
External drive functionality is not working or available ( yet?) on the new Quantum boxes.
LL3HD's Avatar LL3HD
08:08 AM Liked: 27
post #18147 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

External drive functionality is not working or available ( yet?) on the new Quantum boxes.
Thanks, that's good to know, for my decision process cool.gif
BiggAW's Avatar BiggAW
10:33 AM Liked: 57
post #18148 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 1,352
Quote:

Well, since the FiOS VMS system literally just hit the streets this month, I'm not really sure how you can claim the Tivo "has superior functionality to." It very well may, but until there are enough VMS systems in the field to make a valid comparison, that just sounds like typical Tivo fanboydom. (And again, I have a Tivo Roamio/Mini setup, so you can't play the "You Don't Know Tivo!" card.) FiOS has plans for the VMS system that go beyond just transmitting programs to our TVs. How will it play out? Guess we'll see.

No one else on the market has Wishlists or suggestions. I think DirecTV has something like Wishlists, and I've heard that their DVRs are a pretty good second to TiVos. Also, none of the MSO systems have nearly the amount of storage that TiVo does. TiVo has up to 3TB in one box, and you can have several boxes if you want more storage and more tuners. Cablevisions 14 tuner DVR? TiVo scales up to 60 tuners and 30TB (80TB with modified TiVos) of disk storage. Of course that's a ridiculous extreme, but the point is that it's effectively unlimited in real world use. You can also use TiVo desktop of kmttg to pull stuff off to a computer, server, or NAS for more storage. TiVo can already stream to mobile devices, and the best solution on the market for any provider is Slingbox, due to their proprietary compression algorithms. Not that watching TV on a tiny screen is very attractive in the first place...
Quote:

In your opinion.

I own 12 TiVos from Series 1 through 4, about 8 or 9 of which are in production at any given time. I also rent one FiOS Motorola, and one Cox SA, and I have close friends with Comcast and Uverse DVRs.

Are you is Westerly or South County by chance? I know that this area (New London/Groton/Westerly) has all those providers between the two states.
Quote:
I’ve tried a Roamio, but so far I’m not buying Series 5s, because I think the TiVo HDUI is by far the most obnoxious UI I have ever seen, when it comes to pushing ads for programs and other products. An MSO DVR might have one program ad on screen while you’re looking at the guide or menus. Cox doesn’t do ads at all except in OnDemand menus, and you can easily bypass those with deep links to favorites. But TiVo puts 4 to 6 “suggestions” on screen through much of its menu system. I think they have deliberately made the Series 4 SD menus slower in order to push people to the HD menus, and they’ve removed some quick navigation options entirely from the HD menus to keep the “suggestions” (really ads) on screen longer.

They are so easy to ignore. The Premieres should have basically the same software as the Roamios. The SDUI was kind of useless in comparison to the HDUI all along anyways.
Quote:
TiVo is a company that bought its peace with copyright and IP extremists by becoming a Hollywood shill, relentlessly pushing product at their subscribers and presenting this as a service to the subscribers, even when those subscribers do everything possible to say they are not interested.

Huh? They do act like patent trolls in terms of their technology even though they aren't technically patent trolls, since they do sell an actual product. I have no clue what you're talking about in regards to becoming a Hollywood shill, even though much of Hollywood is IP extremists to the point that they have hurt their own interests, but that has nothing to do with TiVo.
Quote:
That said, TiVo does have advantages. For me, the main ones are the ability to archive programming and transfer it from machine to machine, so I don’t lose it if a machine or hard drive fails, and that I can take any TiVo from my house to any other place I want and play the recordings on any TV, with no need for an MSO connection or signal of any kind. I don’t know of any MVPD DVR that allows this.

But TiVo has disadvantages, too. The setup is longer and more involved than with most MSO DVRs, because a TiVo doesn’t know to what system it’s connected, until the user tells it. TiVo’s manual recording capabilities are primitive compared to most other DVRs today, because manual recording is against the TiVo philosophy and they don’t want you to do it. The HDUI actually makes manual programming much more difficult to manipulate. While MSO DVRs have steadily improved in this area over the years, TiVo has actually regressed.

You shouldn't need to use manual recording for almost anything, and it is easy to do if you do have to do it once in a blue moon. I have a manual recording to pick up HBO docs on Monday nights, since they aren't listed as a season.
Quote:
But again, TiVo is a Hollywood shill, so if you confine your recordings to big name Hollywood product on the big name broadcast and cable nets, the guide data will be pretty good, and you largely won’t need manual recordings, anyway. It’s only when you move away from the Hollywood mainstream, to foreign language, religious, news, cable access, educational, low power, and other lesser viewed channels, that manual programming becomes essential because the TMS guide data is so consistently inaccurate, unreliable, or just plain uninformative.

I could go on for pages writing actual unbiased comparisons of TiVo with other DVRs, but this is a FiOS thread, and I would never convince the TiVophiles of anything, anyway. TiVophilia is practically a religion at this point, and nothing could convince a True TiVophile that the product they so love is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The guide data is what they get from their providers, and of course it is better for the most popular cable channels. No one watches local cable access (I used to work for one, and no one watched it unless they were kids looking for a snow day announcement, and even that is online now anyways). There is no guide data available for that stuff anyways. Most low power stations aren't even on cable, and the few old people who watch religious channels don't have TiVos anyways.
Quote:

Yes. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to schedule a manual recording on my TiVos over the last 12.5 years. It's been an extremely rare occurrence. Just like a missed recording has been extremely rare. But it takes two hands to count the number of times I've missed a recording on my TiVos over the last 12.5 years.

Exactly. It's pretty rare, and when it is necessary, it's easy to do so.
mark_e's Avatar mark_e
02:21 PM Liked: 11
post #18149 of 18409
06-01-2014 | Posts: 32
Quote:

Apologies for interrupting another in a series of Tivo discussions but if I could break in for a quick FiOS question. I am getting the Quantum system delivered tomorrow and in looking thru the installation instructions it only shows a coax input being used to the new super, duper router. Is the ethernet cable from the ONT no longer needed? In my current setup I have both cables plugged into the Actiontec router (Rev C, I believe).

The rev I router does indeed have an ethernet WAN port, so it will be fine and autoselect that for WAN. I put one in my daughter's house that worked fine with her ethernet provisioned ONT. They probably forgot people who have legacy ethernet provisioning or had it switched in an attempt to give "simpler" instructions.

BTW, I have a TiVo and an FIOS DVR, but won't join the debate. Just want to help. smile.gif
9179mhb's Avatar 9179mhb
11:45 AM Liked: 52
post #18150 of 18409
06-02-2014 | Posts: 446
Tomorrow (June 3rd) is a BIG day for me as I am scheduled to swap out my DVR, HD STB and wireless b/g router for a VMS1100, IPC1100 and wireless N router.

I will be doing a self-install of this equipment.

Any tips/tricks/etc. the guru's here can provide is most appreciated, thanks.

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread