post #18181 of 18286 Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

If thats the case aaronwt the changes should have no impact to you. BiggAW, yes there are still people who surf channels, its how new channels get discovered and why networks prefer low channel placement. Networks tend to give better rates to operators like Verizon for lower channel placement. Networks like Bloomberg sued Comcast to be grouped with other newschannels. It may not benefit either one of you but there are folks that will appreciate the change.
Grouping like ths even makes sense for tose who "guide-surf".

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18182 of 18286 Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Woah! How much TV do you watch?

Not even a third of what I record(I'm not even sure if it's even 20%). But I like to have a wide variety of things to choose from when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I'll be in the mood to watch.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18183 of 18286 Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

And this is bad? I would think that it makes sense to "surf" through channels of similar interest.

It's somewhat irritating if someone knows the channel numbers, and then DVRs have to adjust, although it sounds like a bunch of channels that no one cares about anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I guide surf sometimes but I haven't channel surfed since the 20th century. That's why I have no idea what the channel numbers are to most channels. It makes no difference what the channel number is since I use the guide to see what I want to record.

Exactly. It drives me NUTS when people channels surf. It's like they got stuck in 1998 and can't seem to move forward! My dad constantly surfs the channels and won't use the DVR. I don't know why, it's so obvious that the old model of watching TV when it's actually on is cumbersome and unnecessary with a TiVo. He used to complain about the video quality with the Series 2 since it would create a lot of macro-blocking, and yet he refused to switch from crappy analog cable to DirecTV, and refused to get HD until the morons at Comcast finally upgraded their system for HD 6 years after DirecTV started doing HD off of 110 and later 99c/103c.
post #18184 of 18286 Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Not even a third of what I record(I'm not even sure if it's even 20%). But I like to have a wide variety of things to choose from when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I'll be in the mood to watch.
Ah, ok... Sometimes I feel TV is such a waste, I want to take it off the wall and just chuck it outside...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #18185 of 18286 Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Two days in a row now I've lost internet access. The problem has been identified as the new super, duper router. A new one is in route.
post #18186 of 18286 Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Along with the channel line-up changing, apparently Verizon is dropping Fearnet around that time. It's uncanny how Verizon seemingly only drops channels I actively use on occasion. The other horror channel runs a much shallower schedule of content and heavily relies on recent television repeats.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #18187 of 18286 Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Along with the channel line-up changing, apparently Verizon is dropping Fearnet around that time. It's uncanny how Verizon seemingly only drops channels I actively use on occasion. The other horror channel runs a much shallower schedule of content and heavily relies on recent television repeats.
They aren't dropping it. It's Comcast who bought them out and are rolling it into chiller and Syfy.
post #18188 of 18286 Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
They have all the key stuff, including some channels in HD that other providers don't have or are limited availability, but they also seem to have the biggest crap lineup that I've just about ever seen, except for U-Verse, since U-Verse has no technical incentive to bump channels.
post #18189 of 18286 Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by 9179mhb 

Tomorrow (June 3rd) is a BIG day for me as I am scheduled to swap out my DVR, HD STB and wireless b/g router for a VMS1100, IPC1100 and wireless N router.

I will be doing a self-install of this equipment.

Any tips/tricks/etc. the guru's here can provide is most appreciated, thanks.

Just make sure you release your old routers' WAN IP address before disconnecting it.
How do I do that ? Thanks
post #18190 of 18286 Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkell View Post
How do I do that ? Thanks
Actiontec MI424-WR
1 Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
2 Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
3 Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
4 Click SETTINGS
5 Next to DHCP Lease: Click RELEASE
6 Click APPLY
7 Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Last edited by 9179mhb; 06-14-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #18191 of 18286 Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post
Two days in a row now I've lost internet access. The problem has been identified as the new super, duper router. A new one is in route.
The replacement router arrives and it's the old model. Another call and the correct version was shipped along with the moca 2.0 splitters.
post #18192 of 18286 Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

At least they didn't send you a cable card. The last time I ordered a cable card, they sent me their newest router instead. It's still sitting in a closet gathering dust. Along with several other Actiontec routers that FiOS has sent me. I spent over an hour trying to get the router returned. In the end it wasn't worth the hassle and it never got returned. So the next time that happened I didn't even bother trying to return it.

post #18193 of 18286 Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm wondering what it would take to get BBC World News carried in HD on FiOS.

Time Warner, Charter and U-Verse both carry HD feeds, and it's frustrating to see Verizon lag behind in terms of this. I'm glad they've added Al Jazeera America in HD, but I would hope that they would follow that trend and offer the BBC as well. I doubt that BBC Worldwide would charge a premium for the HD feed, it's likely an issue on Verizon's end. They might deem it as a niche news channel, but clearly TWC, Charter, and U-Verse thought there was a large enough audience to offer it in HD.

Last edited by seamus21514; 06-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #18194 of 18286 Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus21514 View Post
I'm wondering what it would take to get BBC World News carried in HD on FiOS.

Time Warner, Charter and U-Verse both carry HD feeds, and it's frustrating to see Verizon lag behind in terms of this. I'm glad they've added Al Jazeera America in HD, but I would hope that they would follow that trend and offer the BBC as well. I doubt that BBC Worldwide would charge a premium for the HD feed, it's likely an issue on Verizon's end. They might deem it as a niche news channel, but clearly TWC, Charter, and U-Verse thought there was a large enough audience to offer it in HD.
I'm usually a PQ snob, but for news stuff, SD can be good enough. I've watched the Comcast widescreen SD feed of AJAM, and it looks just fine for what it is. HD is nice to put it on parity with CNN/FNC/MSNBC though...

Do either TWC or Charter use SDV/TAs? If they do, then it's not a fair comparison, as they didn't give it it's own slot. U-Verse also isn't a valid argument, since as an IPTV system, although severely bandwidth constrained, they effectively have no limit on the number of HD channels that they can offer. FIOS, as a one-way QAM system, would have to give it a slot, and they're already totally out of bandwidth. One notable HD channel that they are missing is Sundance HD, although few providers carry it in HD. Maybe they are doing HD On Demand for Sundance?
post #18195 of 18286 Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I'm usually a PQ snob, but for news stuff, SD can be good enough. I've watched the Comcast widescreen SD feed of AJAM, and it looks just fine for what it is. HD is nice to put it on parity with CNN/FNC/MSNBC though...

Do either TWC or Charter use SDV/TAs? If they do, then it's not a fair comparison, as they didn't give it it's own slot. U-Verse also isn't a valid argument, since as an IPTV system, although severely bandwidth constrained, they effectively have no limit on the number of HD channels that they can offer. FIOS, as a one-way QAM system, would have to give it a slot, and they're already totally out of bandwidth. One notable HD channel that they are missing is Sundance HD, although few providers carry it in HD. Maybe they are doing HD On Demand for Sundance?
TWC and Charter do have SDV implementations, so that's likely the cause. I would be completely fine with a 16:9 SD feed like FiOS has for Bloomberg News.

For me, the resolution isn't as important as the aspect ratio...BBC World News SD is 14:9 letterboxed, so it ends up being windowboxed horribly (I don't want to crop to 16:9 because it'd look awful, and cut off the ticker):

I get that it's a niche channel, but it's also one of the most widely distributed worldwide, and by most metrics warrants an HD slot more than OneAmericaNews. Perhaps giving it an MPEG-4 slot would be an option as well?
post #18196 of 18286 Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I hate SD with any content, but it is true the the news is sometimes unavoidably SD when there are local feeds or amateur content is used.

I think one of our local PBS stations airs BBC News in HD.
post #18197 of 18286 Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus21514 View Post
TWC and Charter do have SDV implementations, so that's likely the cause. I would be completely fine with a 16:9 SD feed like FiOS has for Bloomberg News.

For me, the resolution isn't as important as the aspect ratio...BBC World News SD is 14:9 letterboxed, so it ends up being windowboxed horribly (I don't want to crop to 16:9 because it'd look awful, and cut off the ticker):

I get that it's a niche channel, but it's also one of the most widely distributed worldwide, and by most metrics warrants an HD slot more than OneAmericaNews. Perhaps giving it an MPEG-4 slot would be an option as well?
Yeah, that sucks that they're doing a 4:3 feed. A channel like that is a good candidate for a high quality 16:9 SD feed...

Depending on your setup, you could chop it correctly, although you might need an external video processor to do it right... MPEG-4 would still take 1/4 or 1/5 of a QAM, which is more than SD, and would likely be done in addition to do the SD channel... 14:9 is a terrible format, they used to broadcast UConn basketball games that way from a cropped and upscaled SD feed... ugh. Now the games are on actual sports channels that do HD.
post #18198 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just ordered a replacement for an old TiVo unit and I was wondering if I can just take the Cable Card out of the old unit and plug it in to the new one or does Verizon have to send someone with a new card? I called the 800 number and they said I didn't need a truck roll, but I remain skeptical.
post #18199 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I just ordered a replacement for an old TiVo unit and I was wondering if I can just take the Cable Card out of the old unit and plug it in to the new one or does Verizon have to send someone with a new card? I called the 800 number and they said I didn't need a truck roll, but I remain skeptical.
VZ only copy protects the HBO/Cinemax channels and 131 (the info channel they use to verify pairing). The card will work fine in the new unit EXCEPT for those channels. You may still want to have it paired, but it isn't an urgent need if you don't subscribe to HBO/MAX.

The best way to get it paired (IMHO) is to post a request in the VZ Direct forum on DSL Reports, or use the VZSUPPORT feed on Twitter. Trying on the phone is hit or miss.
post #18200 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e View Post
VZ only copy protects the HBO/Cinemax channels and 131 (the info channel they use to verify pairing). The card will work fine in the new unit EXCEPT for those channels. You may still want to have it paired, but it isn't an urgent need if you don't subscribe to HBO/MAX.
CaableCards have nothing to do with copy protection! Invoking copy protection in the cable box (provided by Verizon or customer provided equipment is universally used. Encrypting is a different process and is intended to keep people from receiving programs that they didn't pay for. I'm pretty sure that Verizon encrypts all but the basic (local) channels. Old STBs and the newer DTA (Digital Terminal Adapters) have decryption built in. CableCards were mandated for cable STBs & DVRs by the FCC to enable customer provided equipment (most notably Tivos).

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that simply taking the CableCard out of the old Tivo an putting it into the new unit will work fine. The card's ID number is registered with Verizon so it should work no matter what model Tivo the OP has. Worth a try. If that doesn't work then call Verizon and they likely would be able to talk the OP through it.

Dave Hancock
post #18201 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know I'm late, but what happened to FIOS1 on 501 in MD.

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
post #18202 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that simply taking the CableCard out of the old Tivo an putting it into the new unit will work fine.

I do know for sure. I have two cable cards in two TiVos, one paired and one not. The unpaired one was moved from a previous TiVo. It gets everything except HBO/MAX channels and 131. I've never bothered to pair it, because the process is a pain, and I don't really need HBO/MAX on the second box.
post #18203 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
CaableCards have nothing to do with copy protection! Invoking copy protection in the cable box (provided by Verizon or customer provided equipment is universally used. Encrypting is a different process and is intended to keep people from receiving programs that they didn't pay for. I'm pretty sure that Verizon encrypts all but the basic (local) channels. Old STBs and the newer DTA (Digital Terminal Adapters) have decryption built in. CableCards were mandated for cable STBs & DVRs by the FCC to enable customer provided equipment (most notably Tivos).

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that simply taking the CableCard out of the old Tivo an putting it into the new unit will work fine. The card's ID number is registered with Verizon so it should work no matter what model Tivo the OP has. Worth a try. If that doesn't work then call Verizon and they likely would be able to talk the OP through it.
Cable cards have EVERYTHING to do with copy protection. For about 9 years under FCC mandate, companies have been required to use seperarable security, and VZ boxes contain cable cards under that mandate. The DTA's, without seperable security are used under an exemption from the FCC.

There are 3 levels of signals under VZ's implementation. The signal is sent via fiber to the ONT. It is then converted to RF using standard QAM frequencies by the ONT and sent over the coax, in effect making each ONT into a mini-headend in cable analogy. Broadcast channels are sent by the ONT in the clear (unencrypted) and can be viewed on any digital-capable tv with a QAM tuner. All channels other than HBO, Cinemax and 131 are encrypted, but not copy protected. The cable card, which receives authorization on an OOB channel decrypts channels that are permitted.

As for copy protection, the cable card standard uses a "CCI byte", that is set for each channel. It permits copy freely, copy once, or no copy. This flag is used by some cable companies to copy protect all channels other than broadcast so they cannot be transferred from machine to machine, or using a TiVo Stream, sent out of the home. Verizon didn't set this on any channel until HBO required it on their content.

The cable card is authorized to decrypt the non protected channels, but to receive the protected ones, it must be paired using a host id unique to the device, as well as a generated by the host data id that changes with each cable card.

In short, on FIOS, the card can be moved to a new TiVo and since the OOB EMM's have it authorized, receive all non copy protected channels. It must be re-paired, using the new host and data id's to receive copy protected channels.

Last edited by mark_e; 06-30-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #18204 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 PM

I tried posting this on the tivo forum with no success so I will try here.I have a tivo premiere XL fios triple play 75/35 4 hd STB 1sd STB fios DVR and a cable card for the tivo. My tivo only has 2 tuners my son's dvr has only 2 tuners (w/little storage) I was offered fios quantum for $15 more per month Is the quantum w/12 tuners and extra storage a good system? Is this any different from what i have besides the extra storage and 12 tuner capability/
post #18205 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thank you all for the informative responses!
post #18206 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdviewer25 View Post
I know I'm late, but what happened to FIOS1 on 501 in MD.
newschannel 8 does a good job of covering local news, no need for fios1.
post #18207 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
I do know for sure. I have two cable cards in two TiVos, one paired and one not. The unpaired one was moved from a previous TiVo. It gets everything except HBO/MAX channels and 131. I've never bothered to pair it, because the process is a pain, and I don't really need HBO/MAX on the second box.
i've moved cable cards around many, many dozens of times on FiOS over the last seven years with the twenty or so TiVos I've owned during that time. There was never any issue with it until they copy protected HBO and Cinemax. And even then, re-pairing was only needed to receive those channels. The other HD channels I viewed came in fine without pairing.

It certainly made it more of a pain having to pair the cards. One time it might be done in a few minutes, while another time could take hours. It all depended on whether the person in chat or on the phone knew what they were doing. And the automated system didn't work most of the time I tried it either.

post #18208 of 18286 Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary712 View Post
I tried posting this on the tivo forum with no success so I will try here.I have a tivo premiere XL fios triple play 75/35 4 hd STB 1sd STB fios DVR and a cable card for the tivo. My tivo only has 2 tuners my son's dvr has only 2 tuners (w/little storage) I was offered fios quantum for $15 more per month Is the quantum w/12 tuners and extra storage a good system? Is this any different from what i have besides the extra storage and 12 tuner capability/
So are you saying it will truly only cost $15 more a month to get two DVRs with six tuners each? That is what the 12 tuner Quantum system is. Two separate boxes with six tuners each. If so then that is a heck of a deal.

post #18209 of 18286 Old 07-01-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So are you saying it will truly only cost $15 more a month to get two DVRs with six tuners each? That is what the 12 tuner Quantum system is. Two separate boxes with six tuners each. If so then that is a heck of a deal.
Probably if they replace an HD DVR and an HD STB...

Quote:
Sounds like time to de-bloat your bill. One or two Roamio Plus/Pros with the rest of the rooms using TiVo Minis would be a far better system and would lower your monthly bill considerably. And at $250, the TiVo Minis pay for themselves in about 2 years...
post #18210 of 18286 Old 07-01-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
I was offered fios quantum for $15 more per month Is the quantum w/12 tuners and extra storage a good system? Is this any different from what i have besides the extra storage and 12 tuner capability/

Just make sure it's the Quantum Premium. FIOS Quantum doesn't mean the 12 tuner system. Both the 6 tuner and 12 tuner are called Quantum. Quantum Enhanced is the 6 tuner system and Quantum Premium is the 12 tuner system.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page