post #18211 of 18409 Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by 9179mhb 

Does exporting programs saved on the DVR to the cloud then importing them to the VMS1100 work?

The series manager? Yes
Actual recorded shows? No
No, the cloud IMPORT of series of exported series is broken and known as an issues with no current work around per Verizon tech support as of July 3 2014. I found out the hard way last night upgrading to Quantum . I am not happy about this because I had years of save programming being one of the first fios customers in the 2nd test market of Tampa Palms in the mid 2000's. I confirmed 5 times with Verizon before putting the Tigger on the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18212 of 18409 Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim2k View Post
No, the cloud IMPORT of series of exported series is broken and known as an issues with no current work around per Verizon tech support as of July 3 2014. I found out the hard way last night upgrading to Quantum . I am not happy about this because I had years of save programming being one of the first fios customers in the 2nd test market of Tampa Palms in the mid 2000's. I confirmed 5 times with Verizon before putting the Tigger on the upgrade.
You're not talking about the actual recordings, correct? Because that has never been an option. As for the scheduled series data, that's working just fine. I tried it 20 minutes ago with no issues.
post #18213 of 18409 Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Liked: 13
I'm in VHO4, currently using the Moto 500 GB DVR with eSATA 2 TB external HDD. We have managed to fill the internal and external storage, but we don't watch all the content. Like a previous poster, they are full so that we always have a variety of things to watch.

Currently paying $240 after taxes because I'm out of contract. We have the middle level TV tier, 25/25 Internet (or whatever the tier is, my speeds are 30/30ish), phone, 1 HD DVR, 2 HD STBs, and a grandfathered movies package that they no longer offer (everything except FLIX).

Comcast man came a knocking on my door Saturday trying to get me to switch to their new X1 platform. I believe the VMS system is available in VHO4 too.

Thing is, I just had a baby and I just have no time to spend researching and weighing my options. I'd really prefer not to switch to Comcast, but possibly upgrade to the VMS thing depending on cost. We changed to FiOS TV many years ago as soon as it became available because Comcast had very few HD channels and their internet was hit or miss. We've had rock solid service from Verizon, but I understand things have changed. There are upsides and downsides to either service.

What I do know about Comcast that I like is their online Netflix-ish type vault of shows. I currently do not subscribe to Netflix, but I have HuluPlus and Amazon Prime. I don't know if I would really benefit from Comcast's online repository, but the prospect of being able to watch content from the vault or my DVR on the go on my iPad is very appealing. I would probably drop HuluPlus in favor of it. It seems like Verizon is always slower to offer things like this, but maybe that's just my perception (grass is always greener on the other side).

Please school on me what's new and good about FiOS VMS and if you know anything about Comcast and the X1 thing, make some comparisons for me. The comcast thing is appealing more so because TV has become a somewhat lower priority these days (no time for it), and the $100 I will save a month (first year) is higher priority.

And NO, I don't want a tivo.

Last edited by crankerchick; 07-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #18214 of 18409 Old 07-11-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post
And NO, I don't want a tivo.
You should. Everything else is crap in comparison. The only reason to not use a TiVo is satellite, since there are (except for the crippled DirecTiVo) no TiVos on satellite.
post #18215 of 18409 Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
The only reason to not use a TiVo is satellite
Yes theres another reason been thru this 827x already.

Fios has 25 minute replays of every nfl game ondemand which i cant watch with tivo & i dont want 2 boxes.

post #18216 of 18409 Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
You should. Everything else is crap in comparison. The only reason to not use a TiVo is satellite, since there are (except for the crippled DirecTiVo) no TiVos on satellite.
*eye roll*
It's almost like you posted just because I said I don't want a TiVO. How about this? Do you know anything about the VMS service in comparison to Comcast's X1 infinity DVR? Because that's what I'm choosing between.

I got no beef with TiVO. I even read all the posts back and forth about TiVO to see if it ever changes me mind. In this house, however, we prefer to be inferior to the almighty TiVO. Thanks though, for your suggestion.

Last edited by crankerchick; 07-12-2014 at 06:57 AM.
post #18217 of 18409 Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
*eye roll*
It's almost like you posted just because I said I don't want a TiVO. How about this? Do you know anything about the VMS service in comparison to Comcast's X1 infinity DVR? Because that's what I'm choosing between.

I got no beef with TiVO. I even read all the posts back and forth about TiVO to see if it ever changes me mind. In this house, however, we prefer to be inferior to the almighty TiVO. Thanks though, for your suggestion.
No. Both of them are far inferior to TiVo. Both MSOs made a huge mistake by not embracing the real thing themselves like RCN, Suddenlink, Grande, GCI, and others, and just building less crappy knock-offs. DirecTV has a pretty good knock-off that's compelling because their own TiVo is completely crippled compared to the Genie. But otherwise, with cable or FIOS, you can have the real thing.
post #18218 of 18409 Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
When the first rumors started about the Quantum system there was also a wi-fi enabled set top box in the mix. Are there any plans to actually roll out this option?
post #18219 of 18409 Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Enough with the TIVO nonsense. You like it, you buy it. If you're satisfied with the FIOS DVR, that's fine too. For me, it records shows and that's what I want it to do. It's not crap, it's what I need.

Technical questions about TIVO? Fine! We are all interested in solving problems, whether we own the specific equipment or not, because maybe one day we will own it. But please don't imply that this is the only solution, because it's not.

Rant ended. Back to FIOS questions.
post #18220 of 18409 Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Enough with the TIVO nonsense. You like it, you buy it. If you're satisfied with the FIOS DVR, that's fine too. For me, it records shows and that's what I want it to do. It's not crap, it's what I need.

Technical questions about TIVO? Fine! We are all interested in solving problems, whether we own the specific equipment or not, because maybe one day we will own it. But please don't imply that this is the only solution, because it's not.

Rant ended. Back to FIOS questions.
It's the only good solution on a QAM-based system.
post #18221 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Let's stop feeding the troll. It's clear that he's going to respond every time just because. Either we can be toddlers also and go back and forth or just let him type to the air.
scott_bernstein likes this.
post #18222 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
*eye roll*

Don't worry about the Tivoites. They seem to go to great lengths to justify the sizable upfront costs of getting a Tivo setup in this day and age where most cable cos and satellite providers offer the same setup - and in some cases, better. Tivo is fine. Some of the people that use it are as obnoxious as paid advertisers though. Didn't work for me at all and thankfully I got the Quantum service, which is head-and-shoulders above my Tivo experience. For one, it works. Imagine that.

I know nothing about the Comcast setup. What I do know is that Quantum Premium gives me 12 tuners (Quantum Enhanced gives you 6 tuners), 2 TB of recording space (1 TB with Quantum Enhanced) and DVR functionality on every connected TV. It gives me access to FiOS's vast library of On Demand programming. It is part of a Triple Play package that saves me a lot of money. The new VMS servers (the DVRs) are much smaller than any other DVR currently on the market and the client boxes are so small you can put them pretty much anywhere. Both are very quiet as well. The VMS is louder than the clients, but that's because it has the hard drive. Also, there is more coming down the pipeline in the future. This is the flagship FiOS hardware setup now. They've already pushed out several software updates in a very short time.

Like I said, I can't compare it to Comcast, I can only relate my experience with FiOS Quantum. Good luck. On congrats on the new baby. Hope you're getting some sleep.
crankerchick likes this.
post #18223 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Don't worry about the Tivoites. They seem to go to great lengths to justify the sizable upfront costs of getting a Tivo setup in this day and age where most cable cos and satellite providers offer the same setup - and in some cases, better. Tivo is fine. Some of the people that use it are as obnoxious as paid advertisers though. Didn't work for me at all and thankfully I got the Quantum service, which is head-and-shoulders above my Tivo experience. For one, it works. Imagine that.

I know nothing about the Comcast setup. What I do know is that Quantum Premium gives me 12 tuners (Quantum Enhanced gives you 6 tuners), 2 TB of recording space (1 TB with Quantum Enhanced) and DVR functionality on every connected TV. It gives me access to FiOS's vast library of On Demand programming. It is part of a Triple Play package that saves me a lot of money. The new VMS servers (the DVRs) are much smaller than any other DVR currently on the market and the client boxes are so small you can put them pretty much anywhere. Both are very quiet as well. The VMS is louder than the clients, but that's because it has the hard drive. Also, there is more coming down the pipeline in the future. This is the flagship FiOS hardware setup now. They've already pushed out several software updates in a very short time.

Like I said, I can't compare it to Comcast, I can only relate my experience with FiOS Quantum. Good luck. On congrats on the new baby. Hope you're getting some sleep.
Awesome. I think we would be ok with the Quantum Enhanced but they can probably talk me into Premium. My main goal right now is to stop paying more for less. The X1 DVR, they are going to have to give me 2 DVRs with 500 GB local storage each, so the VMS sounds better in the regard. One DVR, 1 TB of storage. I guess it doesn't really matter, but simple is better.

Thanks. She's a joy, and she sleeps, but not enough yet!
post #18224 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome. I think we would be ok with the Quantum Enhanced but they can probably talk me into Premium. My main goal right now is to stop paying more for less. The X1 DVR, they are going to have to give me 2 DVRs with 500 GB local storage each, so the VMS sounds better in the regard. One DVR, 1 TB of storage. I guess it doesn't really matter, but simple is better.

Thanks. She's a joy, and she sleeps, but not enough yet!
That's good. I have teens now and man do they sleep.

Let me correct myself though, the DirecTV HR 44 Genie DVR is smaller than the FiOS VMS DVRs. Just wanted to clear that up before somebody else corrected me.
post #18225 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Let's stop feeding the troll. It's clear that he's going to respond every time just because. Either we can be toddlers also and go back and forth or just let him type to the air.
Or he can join the debate here.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r293...ivo-v.-Quantum
post #18226 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No cable DVR today can match TiVo. And just looking at one aspect of the price is rather irrelevant, the TCO is what matters. And TiVo has a way lower TCO than anything you can rent from the cable company. These days, the break-even point is typically between 30 and 48 months (usually around 36 months), depending on how many rooms you want to hook up. And everything after that is gravy, with TiVos often lasting 5+ years, with the only thing that really fails being the easily replaced hard drive.

And the storage capacities of all the MSO DVRs except maybe the HR44 are totally out of proportion to their number of tuners. I utilized nearly the entire 2TB of storage on my XL4 during the Olympics, and that's on Comcast. I'd likely need upwards 3TB just to have the same capacity on FIOS. If/when I move to an area with FIOS, I will be getting a Roamio Pro.

Quote:
That's good. I have teens now and man do they sleep.

Let me correct myself though, the DirecTV HR 44 Genie DVR is smaller than the FiOS VMS DVRs. Just wanted to clear that up before somebody else corrected me.
Well actually, the HR44 has a 1TB hard drive, which, in practical terms, is about twice as big as the FIOS VMS's 1TB hard drive. The TiVo Roamio Pro's 3TB hard drive is about 50% larger than the HR44's on FIOS, probably close to double on Comcast.

The differences in capacity, obviously, come from codec and bitrate used by the various providers, and will vary somewhat depending on what channels you are recording.
post #18227 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Another reason I wish FiOS would switch all their channels to H.264. Then I could get more recordings on my 3TB drive.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18228 of 18409 Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Another reason I wish FiOS would switch all their channels to H.264. Then I could get more recordings on my 3TB drive.
Good point. At 4 HD's per QAM with MPEG-4, they could have stunning PQ and a crapload of channels!
post #18229 of 18409 Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well actually, the HR44 has a 1TB hard drive, which, in practical terms, is about twice as big as the FIOS VMS's 1TB hard drive. The TiVo Roamio Pro's 3TB hard drive is about 50% larger than the HR44's on FIOS, probably close to double on Comcast.

The differences in capacity, obviously, come from codec and bitrate used by the various providers, and will vary somewhat depending on what channels you are recording.
I was referring to the actual physical size of the DVR, not the HD.
post #18230 of 18409 Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No cable DVR today can match TiVo.
Considering you cannot access FiOS "On Demand" programming using a Tivo - but you can with the FiOS VMS - that statement immediately becomes invalid.
post #18231 of 18409 Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Considering you cannot access FiOS "On Demand" programming using a Tivo - but you can with the FiOS VMS - that statement immediately becomes invalid.
FiOS VOD is nothing to crow about. Alot of it still looks like crap. Although still not as bad as Comcast VOD in my area.

LED DLP
post #18232 of 18409 Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FiOS VOD is nothing to crow about. Alot of it still looks like crap. Although still not as bad as Comcast VOD in my area.
Looks fine to me, but the point is that it's available on the FiOS DVR and not on the Tivo. So the blanket statement about "nothing can match Tivo" is just silly.
post #18233 of 18409 Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 AM

Well I strongly considered the Xfinity offer I had. The price looked so good and I knew Verizon couldn't match it. I was able to upgrade to the Quantum TV 1 TB tier and still lower my bill $22. Hoping I don't miss the extra TB since I'm currently using a 2 TB external drive. Can anyone speculate on some of the possibilities that can come out of this next generation hardware? Right now the main advantage is just more tuners and pause/rewind in any room, but I keep hearing the platform has so many possibilities for the future. Like what?

I'd like to see something simple like being able to watch my DVR recordings from my mobile!
post #18234 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was referring to the actual physical size of the DVR, not the HD.
Oh. That's irrelevant.

Quote:
TiVo is a better DVR. Not better at accessing crapy VOD content. A well-managed DVR negates the need for VOD in the first place. I have Comcast VOD on mine, and it's such a mess that I don't use the VOD at all, since I have a good DVR in the first place.

VOD is also a provider issue, not a TiVo issue. TiVo supports VOD, but not all providers have stepped up to the plate and made it work. FIOS's would be a little more complicated to bake in than QAM-based VOD, but still, it shouldn't be that hard. Verizon has chosen not to do it. That's a Verizon issue, not a TiVo issue. That being said, if/when I live in a FIOS area, I will definitely choose FIOS over Comcast, irregardless of Comcast support VOD on TiVo.

Quote:
I'd like to see something simple like being able to watch my DVR recordings from my mobile!
TiVo has been doing that for a while. Not sure what the point of it is though...
post #18235 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A well-managed DVR negates the need for VOD in the first place. I have Comcast VOD on mine, and it's such a mess that I don't use the VOD at all, since I have a good DVR in the first place.
Yet another silly comment. That is unless you have all day to sit at home and peruse the schedules of every single channel and what it's broadcasting for the next two weeks. Some of us do other things though. Look, you spent a mint upfront on a platform that's been equaled or bettered by many cable co DVRs and the recent news that Tivo is getting out of the hardware business has you worried. I understand the need to justify. But these ridiculous claims you keep trolling on about are laughable. Oh and sorry your Comcast VOD is such a mess, I have no such problems with FiOS VOD.
post #18236 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Oh. That's irrelevant.

TiVo is a better DVR. Not better at accessing crapy VOD content. A well-managed DVR negates the need for VOD in the first place. I have Comcast VOD on mine, and it's such a mess that I don't use the VOD at all, since I have a good DVR in the first place.

VOD is also a provider issue, not a TiVo issue. TiVo supports VOD, but not all providers have stepped up to the plate and made it work. FIOS's would be a little more complicated to bake in than QAM-based VOD, but still, it shouldn't be that hard. Verizon has chosen not to do it. That's a Verizon issue, not a TiVo issue. That being said, if/when I live in a FIOS area, I will definitely choose FIOS over Comcast, irregardless of Comcast support VOD on TiVo.

TiVo has been doing that for a while. Not sure what the point of it is though...
Zzz
post #18237 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Look, you spent a mint upfront on a platform that's been equaled or bettered by many cable co DVRs.
I generally stay out of these pointless back and forths, but I can't let this one pass. I've had DVRs from DirecTV, Dish, Cablevision, Fios and TiVo.

Dish is the only interface to come even close to TiVo. DTV wasn't terrible, but didn't live up to TiVo. Fios is clunky and Cablevision's Scientific Atlanta DVRs were a complete joke.

As far as VOD, i have it on the box Fios forces you to have, and I have never used it. With all the season passes, wishlists and suggested recordings, I've never needed VOD. Throw in Hulu and Netflix and VOD has never been an issue, for me at least.

I'm curious if the TiVo haters have even had a TiVo or are just griping because of the upfront cost of the hardware and lifetime service. All of which have paid for themselves since I've had my boxes for several years now.
post #18238 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I generally stay out of these pointless back and forths, but I can't let this one pass. I've had DVRs from DirecTV, Dish, Cablevision, Fios and TiVo.

Dish is the only interface to come even close to TiVo. DTV wasn't terrible, but didn't live up to TiVo. Fios is clunky and Cablevision's Scientific Atlanta DVRs were a complete joke.

As far as VOD, i have it on the box Fios forces you to have, and I have never used it. With all the season passes, wishlists and suggested recordings, I've never needed VOD. Throw in Hulu and Netflix and VOD has never been an issue, for me at least.

I'm curious if the TiVo haters have even had a TiVo or are just griping because of the upfront cost of the hardware and lifetime service. All of which have paid for themselves since I've had my boxes for several years now.
I too try to stay out of these pointless back and forths, but unfortunately I failed here and for that, I apologize.

For the record, not a Tivo hater. A former Tivo user. Roamio Pro, Roamio Plus, Minis. It was a glitchy, "clunky" experience. My FiOS Quantum 12-tuner setup is a superior DVR system to me.

For one, it works. Not a single error message, not a dropped recording, frame, stutter, missed recording, no cryptic Tivo error messages, no inability to watch live TV because one of the Roamio's was down again with a Vxx or Cxxx error.

Two, it gives me access to what I want, not a bunch of useless add-ons that sometimes work, but are mostly just there to say, "Hey, look, an Opera app store!" Plus all the menus are all in HD. (Imagine that, in 2014 all menus in HD.)

Three - and this is the most important one in this case - the person that asked about her options specifically said she had no interest in Tivo and specifically requested not to be give the usual Tivo spiel. Which of course, was ignored. Typical of the Tivo users in many forums quite frankly, which is probably where most of the backlash originates. Why the Tivoites continually push their system whenever somebody specifically says they aren't interested in Tivo is beyond my comprehension. (Apparently it's beyond their reading comprehension too.) That's all.
post #18239 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I know one of the reasons I like TiVo is because it is much less expensive than the cable company DVRs. If I had been using FiOS DVRs for the last seven years instead of TiVos, I would have easily spent over $1k more during that time period. True TiVo does have a higher up front cost, but in the long run it easily costs less.(at least that is the case with FiOS and Comcast in my area)

LED DLP
post #18240 of 18409 Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I know one of the reasons I like TiVo is because it is much less expensive than the cable company DVRs. If I had been using FiOS DVRs for the last seven years instead of TiVos, I would have easily spent over $1k more during that time period. True TiVo does have a higher up front cost, but in the long run it easily costs less.(at least that is the case with FiOS and Comcast in my area)
Much less expensive? My DVR costs me $17. The M card now costs $5 a month. So $12 a month, or $144 a year cost for the 7232. We are talking 4-5 years for the breakeven point vs buying a Tivo with lifetime. The breakeven point obviously has shifted up and down over the years. For example, cable cards used to be $3, but then again with S cards you needed two, so $6. DVRs used to be $13. DVR service for new subs is now $21, so the breakeven point is much sooner for them. Everyone should do the math, and figure out what works for them. Etc etc etc.

I am not really pro or con, I just use what works best for me (and don't waste time trolling forums about how awesome my choice is).

Lastly, I am pretty glad I did not get a Tivo when I got Fios in 2009. I seriously considered it back then. Even though it has been 6 years, I don't think I would be too much "ahead" as I would have had to buy a second Tivo as the Series 3 available back then doesn't do mpeg4. Whereas with the Fios box, they took their old mpeg2 equipment back, and gave me the mpeg4 compatible one (with a faster processor and bigger HD) for "free". Again though, happy with my choice, and not trying to convert or convince anyone else how awesome it is. Use whatever works best for you.

Last edited by rustycruiser; 07-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page