post #18241 of 18249 Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post
Much less expensive? My DVR costs me $17. The M card now costs $5 a month. So $12 a month, or $144 a year cost for the 7232. We are talking 4-5 years for the breakeven point vs buying a Tivo with lifetime. The breakeven point obviously has shifted up and down over the years. For example, cable cards used to be $3, but then again with S cards you needed two, so $6. DVRs used to be $13. DVR service for new subs is now $21, so the breakeven point is much sooner for them. Everyone should do the math, and figure out what works for them. Etc etc etc.

SO you are saying you have six tuners from FiOS for only $17? In my area it is much more expensive than that. $17 only covers two tuners here with FiOS. You have to compare apples to apples. I have six tuners with one cable card. In my early FiOS days I had ten tuners with eight cable cards on FiOS at one point(But back then cable cards were only $3 each). I had three original S3 boxes which each used two cable cards and I had two TiVoHD boxes with one cable card each. Renting the DVRs from FiOS would have cost much more. Then when you factor in what I sold the TiVos for, my cost becomes much, much less. I've sold at least sixteen lifetime Tivos in the seven years I've had FiOS. Those sales covered most of the cost of newer model lifetime TiVos and then those are sold again to cover newer model Tivos all of which further reduces my out of pocket costs.

Now I'm down to one TiVo Roamio Pro with six tuners and three TiVo Minis that I use with FiOS. But I also have a Roamio BAsic Tivo with four tuners on OTA and I still have an old two tuner Premiere with OTA that I need to sell one day. I should be able to clear around $250 for that lifetime Premiere sale. Which works out great for a box I've had since the 2010 launch and only paid $99 for lifetime service.

Anyway I just wish FiOS would switch all their channels to H.264. Then I could have more space for more recordings since H.264 recordings would take up less space. The 3TB drive in my TiVo is not enough storage for my use since I record a lot of content. Since I want to have a wide variety of choices when I sit down to watch TV. I only watch a fraction of what I record but I need to offload a lot of recordings to a PC to free up space. That is another thing I really like about the TiVos. I can offload any recordings from FiOS, except from HBO or Cinemax, and then those recordings can be stored on a hard drive, burned to a BD, or even have the commercials automatically edited out for later viewing.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-19-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18242 of 18249 Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Yet another silly comment. That is unless you have all day to sit at home and peruse the schedules of every single channel and what it's broadcasting for the next two weeks. Some of us do other things though. Look, you spent a mint upfront on a platform that's been equaled or bettered by many cable co DVRs and the recent news that Tivo is getting out of the hardware business has you worried. I understand the need to justify. But these ridiculous claims you keep trolling on about are laughable. Oh and sorry your Comcast VOD is such a mess, I have no such problems with FiOS VOD.
Equaled by a cable co DVR? LOL. You must be insane. Even Comcast's X1 only has a 500GB hard drive, isn't a TiVo, and is more expensive than a real TiVo. Oh, and you can't bring it with you when you move like a TiVo.

I certainly don't sit there and look at schedules all day, but I have SPs for what I want to watch, and I can put humpty dumpty back together with re-runs if needed. I wouldn't even look on XoD, as the interface is horrible, the service is basically unusable once you're used to a TiVo, and they force you to watch ads in most cases. And the forced ads and crappy interface will be the same on any provider, although the specifics of the interface may be somewhat different. And the quality seems to suck universally, for technical reasons with QAM-based VOD, and for no apparently reason with FIOS VOD.
dturturro likes this.
post #18243 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Please stop.
skinsfan05 likes this.
post #18244 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Please stop.
+1
skinsfan05 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #18245 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Equaled by a cable co DVR? LOL. You must be insane. Even Comcast's X1 only has a 500GB hard drive, isn't a TiVo, and is more expensive than a real TiVo. Oh, and you can't bring it with you when you move like a TiVo.

I certainly don't sit there and look at schedules all day, but I have SPs for what I want to watch, and I can put humpty dumpty back together with re-runs if needed. I wouldn't even look on XoD, as the interface is horrible, the service is basically unusable once you're used to a TiVo, and they force you to watch ads in most cases. And the forced ads and crappy interface will be the same on any provider, although the specifics of the interface may be somewhat different. And the quality seems to suck universally, for technical reasons with QAM-based VOD, and for no apparently reason with FIOS VOD.
Why on earth do you keep droning on about Comcast in a FiOS forum? Nobody here cares what Comcast does. We're. Discussing. FiOS.
post #18246 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since we've decided to discuss FIOS again, I will bring up my question again. Is there a wireless (in other words, not connected by coax) set top box in the works with the Quantum tv system?
post #18247 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Since we've decided to discuss FIOS again, I will bring up my question again. Is there a wireless (in other words, not connected by coax) set top box in the works with the Quantum tv system?
I thought they were working on one a couple of years ago?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18248 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Why on earth do you keep droning on about Comcast in a FiOS forum? Nobody here cares what Comcast does. We're. Discussing. FiOS.
Well, the best DVR on Comcast is the same as the best DVR on FIOS. The TiVo Roamio Pro offers the best experience with either.
post #18249 of 18249 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
While not wireless, I did see a post on the dslreports VMS thread that the client boxes can be connected via ethernet or coax.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page