AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdviewer25 View Post
Hallmark Channel HD now available on 740
You can now catch up on the Jesse Stone movies and hour after hour of Murder She Wrote.
sangs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18302 of 18330 Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I upgraded to VMS this past June. I always thought my bill was a tad bit higher than I thought it should be so I finally got around to checking it this morning (the wife pays the bills ). And sure enough, the 2 digital boxes that I got as freebies when Verizon converted from analog to all digital, I was now being charged the full price at $5.99 without the credit that used to take that charge away.

It took a while to get thru to CS and once I did they had me on hold for quite some time as they hashed out what to do and what they thought they could charge me going forward. The offer presented to me was one of the boxes would be free and I'd be charged $5.99 a month for the other. I went nuts on the guy and even threatened to move my wireless service to another carrier when my contract is up in December.

I no sooner said that and I was offered both boxes free, a credit for the past 4 months, and HBO free for a year.
post #18303 of 18330 Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Liked: 10
NHL Center Ice rip off

The NHL is offering special pricing until 10/30. FIOS claims theirs is $180 and will go up after 10/30. DTV and TW is $160. Price gouging anyone?!
Game Center is $160 and I can watch it on any device and don't need one of Verizons crapy boxes.
post #18304 of 18330 Old 10-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok. I'm going to try not to completely lose it here, but the VMS system in my house is a complete debacle.

The boxes lag. It's not UI lag. It's lag loading "information" like you hit a button, say to select a "folder" list of recorded shows on the DVR, and then there is a noticeable delay in which it loads all the episodes in the "folder" and the associated information. During that time, it doesn't respond to remote clicks (a good thing probably). Same thing with surfing the guide. Using the up/down or channel up/down arrows, there's a delay loading what it is to show in the guide next before it will respond to the next button click.

The last week we have had intermittent problems where channels in our master bedroom wouldn't work. Once, I reset the router and cycled power to the ONT and everything came back. Thought it was a fluke, like maybe the boxes needing an IP renewal or something to that nature.

The next couple of times it happened, the problem "fixed" itself magically some time later so we never got around to calling.

Saturday night it happened again when we came upstairs to the bedroom to watch the baseball game. While hubby was on the phone with VZ, I did some investigating and figured out at least what was happening. Basically, our satellite boxes (master bedroom and guest room) will only tune to the channels the main box (we don't turn it off) is tuned to or any channels that are currently being recorded. I had my husband tell this to VZ while on the phone. The guy had no idea what to do so he scheduled a tech for today. He said it looked like a signal problem and if the problem came down to wiring in the house, WE WOULD HAVE TO PAY.

At some point while on the call, I must have done something to somewhat remedy the problem (or it just "fixed" itself) and the master bedroom started working again, but the guest bedroom would still only tune to channels the other boxes were tuned to or what was currently recording, so we kept our appointment for today.

The next morning, my husband gets a text on his cell phone (don't know why he got it, i'm the account holder...) that they have fixed our problem and canceled our tech appointment. Husband checks the guest room box and it is now "working." Hooray.

Today I turn on the TV in the master bedroom and AGAIN it's not working!!!!!! Same symptoms all over again!

So now we get the honor of calling again, sitting on the phone the time it takes to get someone on the line, and then probably scheduling another appointment.

And a channel I watch (Universal HD) has been moved out of our package. Thanks VZ.

And we are supposed to be getting a $30 monthly credit for 1 year and it's not on the bill.

I've never had so many problems with TV since my days of Comcast 10 years ago!

Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix? I'm expecting the tech won't know how to fix it. I'm seriously close to telling them to take it all back.
post #18305 of 18330 Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post
The boxes lag. It's not UI lag. It's lag loading "information" like you hit a button, say to select a "folder" list of recorded shows on the DVR, and then there is a noticeable delay in which it loads all the episodes in the "folder" and the associated information. During that time, it doesn't respond to remote clicks (a good thing probably). Same thing with surfing the guide. Using the up/down or channel up/down arrows, there's a delay loading what it is to show in the guide next before it will respond to the next button click.
Sounds like the classic "memory leak" problem with the memory getting filled up with junk. Crappy software! Our system was acting like that (slow) and I did a power re-boot (pull power plug on server for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in. After the server reloaded all of the delays were gone.

When I was on Time Warner, a periodic rebooting was helpful in keeping the system running smoothly.

Dave Hancock
post #18306 of 18330 Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Sounds like the classic "memory leak" problem with the memory getting filled up with junk. Crappy software! Our system was acting like that (slow) and I did a power re-boot (pull power plug on server for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in. After the server reloaded all of the delays were gone.

When I was on Time Warner, a periodic rebooting was helpful in keeping the system running smoothly.
Thanks. I've tried countless reboots of the media client in our bedroom, to no avail regarding the lag. I guess because it's not seemingly a software lag, but a delay while loading information from the database. I guess I could liken it to loading a website. While the site is loading, the computer ignore any mouse clicks. I'm not sure if I've tried rebooting the main box, though, so that's something. We actually shutter to power cycle anything because we've had it happen where we power cycled and ended up going from crappy TV to no TV. I've rebooted a client and it wouldn't get past the loading screen to start back up when powered back on. That's one of the times I ended up having to turn off the router and power cycle the ONT to get everything back up.

Last night after channels started magically coming in again, there was still freezing on whatever channel we were watching. That seems more like a signal issue (and not any symptoms we've seen before). Hopefully we can get someone out soon and they don't cancel the appointment this time.
post #18307 of 18330 Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
We are experiencing pretty bad delays also. It is not just info loading ... for example if I hit the skip forward button it will sometimes wait for 5 or 10 seconds before completing the command. Same with stop, pause, play etc. I'm hoping it is just a software bug and it will be fixed with a future update.
post #18308 of 18330 Old 10-14-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if I've tried rebooting the main box, though, so that's something.
As the "main box" (server) is doing all of the work, there are plenty of chances that the "tasks" that it has to do will get backed up in the task queue. So the server is the place to start.

Dave Hancock
post #18309 of 18330 Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The wife and I turned on the tube after work to find the new hideous guide. The color scheme, while looking hip and cool, makes it a little harder to read. Also, the center channel (being viewed) in the guide has a picture to the side (e.g Alex Trebek), which expands the size of that channel, forcing all the channels above and below to be shrunk. There's a blank vertical bar to the left and right of the guide (was it there before?), which is wasted space.

Where can I complain, other than here or waiting on hold 20 minutes reach a CSR?
post #18310 of 18330 Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I still think the Guide color scheme is harder to read, but I have found a few good features in the new release (1.9.7):

1) Remove the ad banner from the Guide screen (from Guide, press Options to configure);
2) CC is now an on/off shortcut instead of having to press CC1 through CC6 to turn it on/off (from Live TV, press Options to configure).
3) option to automatically switch to HD after erroneously selecting SD channel (Menu; Settings; System; Television; Auto Tune to HD Channels).
post #18311 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Is that for Quantum as well?

ISF Calibrator
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Samsung PN64F8500
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #18312 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Nope. Rumor has it by the end of year, but who really knows.
post #18313 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply sangs

ISF Calibrator
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Samsung PN64F8500
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #18314 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
3) option to automatically switch to HD after erroneously selecting SD channel
Wait, this will make it just a bit harder to detect the Brain Dead who always have the SD channel on while insisting its HD !

Oh, nevermind, they will not be smart enough to ever turn this feature on.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #18315 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
How do you guy's like your FiOS Quantum TV equipment: VMS1100 & IPC1100?

There are numerous complaints being posted in the Verizon FiOS TV and DSLReports Verizon FiOS TV forums regarding poor performance with the remotes and IPC1100 set top boxes.
post #18316 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

There are numerous complaints being posted in the Verizon FiOS TV and DSLReports Verizon FiOS TV forums regarding poor performance with the remotes and IPC1100 set top boxes.
That's why I'm keeping my 2 DVR's and additional boxes before making the switch to Quantum. The system does not seem to be completely stable, just like the Comcast version. I think Verizon had to release it because they were getting bashed big time, but I'm in no mood to be another bleeding edge beta tester on their dime (or hundreds of $$$).
post #18317 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I had Cable prior, so I cannot compare it to the other Fios system..

ISF Calibrator
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Samsung PN64F8500
post #18318 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

While the "buggy" software of Quantum is somewhat bothersome, the freedom to ignore potential recording schedule conflicts is great.

My installation has been difficult however - not due to problems with Quantum itself, but more with the Verizon internal computer systems. It took a month to get everything "authorized" and properly running.

Dave Hancock
post #18319 of 18330 Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
While the "buggy" software of Quantum is somewhat bothersome, the freedom to ignore potential recording schedule conflicts is great.

My installation has been difficult however - not due to problems with Quantum itself, but more with the Verizon internal computer systems. It took a month to get everything "authorized" and properly running.
A month? That's inexcusable.
post #18320 of 18330 Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Quote:

I posted a long diatribe one page back about my experience. It's been...frustrating...and liberating...at the same time. Frustrating because I have experienced the things you speak of (which reminds me that I need to hop over to DSLReports and commiserate there) but also great because when I'm not irritated with the lag, I'm enjoying having all the tuners available and not dealing with recording conflicts. We aren't dealing with someone's show being canceled by a viewer who is presented with a conflict while trying to watch tv. We aren't dealing with shows getting bumped and not knowing because we don't look at the upcoming schedule to see there's a conflict or because, show priorities aside, we just have more than 2 shows we want to record.

I did reboot the main server after realization here that I had not and so far we are back to everything "working" soundly and the delays aren't that noticeable, so all is well in our house. We do still have our appointment for the tech to come on Saturdah though.

I don't have experience with Comcast's service but I can say that as long as the shenanigans I dealt with all last week are over, I would keep this system as opposed to going back to 2 DVRs.
post #18321 of 18330 Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have experience with Comcast's service but I can say that as long as the shenanigans I dealt with all last week are over, I would keep this system as opposed to going back to 2 DVRs.
I know that both companies get blasted for their customer service, but I can say that my experience with the Verizon techs that have come to my house is completely different than Comcast. Although "never say never", it would have to be a major breakdown for me to go back to Comcast.

Still unsure about the new system. Programming conflicts aside, I don't think my family would do well with any more goofy situations than the occasional unplug-plug back in remedy that seems to correct most issues.

I think when they launch a non-cable wifi-enabled cable box I will reconsider.
post #18322 of 18330 Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
A month? That's inexcusable.
Well there were complications:
  • They promised one delivery date when I ordered, yet one week later slipped the delivery date out to when we were going to be out of town.
  • Because we would have to return our old equipment in a short period of time (which I couldn't do) I cancelled the order.
  • Except that this order didn't get cancelled and it came before I left town - so I tried to install it. Naturally, I ran into problems as it was not authorized (ordered had been cancelled in their authorization database - but not cancelled with the people that shipped the order).
  • Their "solution" to this problem was to order a 2nd quantum system and use that authorization for the quantum system that I had.
  • That worked to the extent that the box was authorized. However, when I went to use the DVR - THAT was not authorized. They told me that I would have to wait for the newly ordered 2nd Quantum system to arrive (in 2 weeks) before I could have my DVR functionality back.
  • The "solution" to that was to pack up the new Quantum system and send it back (using my old DVR to record programs) and re-install the 2nd Quantum system when it arrived.
  • I will say that when the 2nd system arrived, almost everything installed (and worked) like a charm, but from beginning to end it took over a month,
  • The one problem that I had was with the web-based DVR manager. The system still had my old DVR in it and would naturally attempt to connect to that (it had been returned) and couldn't (erring out). It took another week to get Verizon to finally remove that from their database so the system would hook up to the new one.

Dave Hancock
post #18323 of 18330 Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Still. That's a long time...
post #18324 of 18330 Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
After 6 years and 3 months the battery on my ont finally went out and took my services with it

A trch is supposed to come Tuesday between 1 and 5 to replace the battery I hope
post #18325 of 18330 Old 10-18-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I keep my ONT plugged in to a UPS that gives me 16 to 18 hours of runtime. So I never even need to use the internal ONT battery. And can continue using the Internet, watching TV, or using the phone during a power outage.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18326 of 18330 Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post
After 6 years and 3 months the battery on my ont finally went out and took my services with it

A trch is supposed to come Tuesday between 1 and 5 to replace the battery I hope
Are you sure it's really dead? Mine periodically starts beeping and flashing a red light. When I called Customer Service, the rep told me to unplug the power source for a minute, then reconnect it. That resets it for another six months or so. I've never had to actually replace the battery.
post #18327 of 18330 Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Done that they say the power supply is down
My ont could still run without the battery
Posting on my iPhone of all places

Fix tomorrow!
post #18328 of 18330 Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I really like the new guide and the enhancements that came with it.
post #18329 of 18330 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
You can buy a new battery online for only $20 or so. FOrtunately for me the battery my ONT uses is the same size batteries that my APC UPSs use. So I use a couple of dozen batteries with my UPSs so I typically have a couple lying around as spares in case I need them.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18330 of 18330 Old Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm at 6+ years with the UPS in my ONT and I haven't had to replace the battery yet.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page