post #18361 of 18368 Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
They've definitely trimmed the attractiveness of their mid-level package over the years. I presume it is an attempt to get as many subscribers as possible on the premium packages. I know I lost UniversalHD with another recent change in their packages.

Apparently you can now connect your UltraViolet collection to Verizon, accessing your digital streaming collection through On-Demand. I will let someone else be the guinea pig on that one.
The Ultimate HD package is definitely the best deal. At only $70, when included in a bundle, you get much, much more for your money than any of the lower packages.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18362 of 18368 Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Ultimate HD package is definitely the best deal. At only $70, when included in a bundle, you get much, much more for your money than any of the lower packages.
It all depends if any of the content of the higher packages is worth anything to you.

Dave Hancock
post #18363 of 18368 Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
They've definitely trimmed the attractiveness of their mid-level package over the years. I presume it is an attempt to get as many subscribers as possible on the premium packages. I know I lost UniversalHD with another recent change in their packages.

Apparently you can now connect your UltraViolet collection to Verizon, accessing your digital streaming collection through On-Demand. I will let someone else be the guinea pig on that one.
That sounds like a terrible idea. Not only is Verizon's ON Demand not as good as VUDU quality wise, but what if you switch to another provider? What happens to your collection. That's just a terrible idea all around!
post #18364 of 18368 Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's just a terrible idea all around!
Not for Verizon! $$$$$$$$

Dave Hancock
post #18365 of 18368 Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Well, as a mere UV provider I don't think Verizon can mess with your UV collection. I think it has been added primarily to enhance the attractiveness of purchasing On-Demand content that happens to be UV.
post #18366 of 18368 Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It's not a bad idea at all. Verizon can't remove movies from your library, you can connect as many UV providers as you want to your account, and now UV compatible movies that you might purchase through Verizon would be added to your UV library and therefore be viewable on Vudu (assuming that studio participates in Vudu.)

It's a win win win all the way around. It actually addresses the issue of "what happens to my Verizon purchased movies if I leave Verizon?" The answer is now, assuming they were UV compatible, is that you can take them with you and view them on Vudu or Flixster.
post #18367 of 18368 Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
It's not a bad idea at all. Verizon can't remove movies from your library, you can connect as many UV providers as you want to your account, and now UV compatible movies that you might purchase through Verizon would be added to your UV library and therefore be viewable on Vudu (assuming that studio participates in Vudu.)

It's a win win win all the way around. It actually addresses the issue of "what happens to my Verizon purchased movies if I leave Verizon?" The answer is now, assuming they were UV compatible, is that you can take them with you and view them on Vudu or Flixster.
Oh, if they're portable to a provider like VUDU, than it's not a terrible idea, although the quality of Verizon's VOD is still going to be way inferior to most VUDU encodes.
post #18368 of 18368 Old 11-24-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Studio support seems really spotty. Only 10 out of my 47 UV items came over, the rest are geyed out.

But yes, assuming that the movie you purchase with Verizon has the UV logo on it (for example, 22 Jump Street), that movie will show up on all UV linked services after purchases (with the general caveats about studio support for that particular service.)

22 Jump Street is available on Vudu, so if you have your accounts all linked to the same UV account, purchasing 22 Jump Street from Verizon would mean you could then watch it on Vudu. Vice versa would work as well. If you purchased 22 Jump Street via Vudu, it will then show up in your Verizon purchases.

Now, you would have to be completely off your rocker to buy 22 Jump Street from Verizon though since it's $19.99 from Verizon and an HDX from Vudu is $17.99. However, it's possible that Verizon could have some specials on pricing that are advantageous. Also, if you happen to have a Verizon box on a TV that doesn't have smart app support, you could now watch your movies from it.

At the end of the day, it's just nice seeing more support for UV so it can fulfill the role that was intended for it.
Reply HDTV Programming