post #18391 of 18409 Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie View Post
But the real issue is the lousy set top box they call a DVR. Seriously no pausing/rewinding of live TV WTF? Who build junk like this?
I have a fios dvr & can pause/rewind live tv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18392 of 18409 Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Sadly I let my sister convince my mother to switch from DTV to FIOS. What a mistake. The installer did not know what he was doing. In fact he hooked up one tv using both the component hookup an HDMI.

I cant believe how many times the pic will freeze during a football game.

But the real issue is the lousy set top box they call a DVR. Seriously no pausing/rewinding of live TV WTF? Who build junk like this?

Hard to believe my mom could have been swayed and I did it so that my sister who lives next door could help our 80 yr old mother through programming issues. Now she misses her TiVo but is too frustrated to admit to D she made a mistake.

A word to the wise go with D. Best picture, best programming and the best DVR options.
Something doesn't sound right. You should be able to pause and rewind live TV. But for a better experience you should get a TiVo. Much better than the FiOS DVRs and other cable company DVRs.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18393 of 18409 Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
This may sound like a silly question, but did she subscribe to DVR service? I've seen cases where the cable company would install DVR boxes, but not enable (nor charge the customer for) DVR service. If that were the case here, not being able to pause/FF/RW would be expected. I've seen cases where Verizon would screw up the DVR authorization where, even though the customer was paying for DVR service that the DVR box wasn't authorized to act as one.

Dave Hancock
post #18394 of 18409 Old 12-12-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
Exactly, I have also seen this particular exact issue ONLY on the Showtime channels and have also seen this effect reported elsewhere. Nothing to do with signals, it's some error in the way they're recompressing the Showtime signals.

I have seen other issues with different kinds of pixellation and tearing on the main HBO channel as well as the multiplexes.
Pretty sure this has something to do with the actual TV and the way it process this information. I get this same phenomenon on one set in the house - a Samsung DLP - whether we're watching FiOS or DirecTV. (First time I ever noticed it was during the opening credits for Black Sails on Starz.) However, it doesn't happen on my two Panny plasmas.
post #18395 of 18409 Old 12-12-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Something doesn't sound right. You should be able to pause and rewind live TV. But for a better experience you should get a TiVo. Much better than the FiOS DVRs and other cable company DVRs.
This is absurd. If the installer didn't set up the system properly (which would just be amazing at this point), then Verizon needs to get a good tech out there now to correct the situation. Don't accept a below average install.

While I would love to be able to buy/afford a TIVO, I have 2 Verizon dvr's that work just fine.

Sorry, something smells fishy here.
post #18396 of 18409 Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
This is absurd. If the installer didn't set up the system properly (which would just be amazing at this point), then Verizon needs to get a good tech out there now to correct the situation. Don't accept a below average install.
There is still the question of did she order (and pay for "DVR Service"). As I said yesterday: "I've seen cases where the cable company would install DVR boxes, but not enable (nor charge the customer for) DVR service). "

Dave Hancock
post #18397 of 18409 Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
There is still the question of did she order (and pay for "DVR Service"). As I said yesterday: "I've seen cases where the cable company would install DVR boxes, but not enable (nor charge the customer for) DVR service). "
Your point makes sense, but the OP statement "A word to the wise go with D. Best picture, best programming and the best DVR options." makes me a little suspicious.
post #18398 of 18409 Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Pretty sure this has something to do with the actual TV and the way it process this information. I get this same phenomenon on one set in the house - a Samsung DLP - whether we're watching FiOS or DirecTV. (First time I ever noticed it was during the opening credits for Black Sails on Starz.) However, it doesn't happen on my two Panny plasmas.
Nope, in this case is certainly encoded in the stream itself. You could even see it from the analog outputs connected to a CRT.
post #18399 of 18409 Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a good deal for anyone currently renting one of their older routers;

http://campaign.verizon.com/fiosquan...LS=WIFI_ROUTER
post #18400 of 18409 Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFan View Post
This is a good deal for anyone currently renting one of their older routers;

http://campaign.verizon.com/fiosquan...LS=WIFI_ROUTER
The best deal is to just have an Ethernet connection from the ONT and use your own router. I've been using Ethernet from my ONT for over seven years now. My Dlink and Asus routers have always run circles around anything that FiOS has supplied me. I currently have five of their routers gathering dust in my closets.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18401 of 18409 Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The best deal is to just have an Ethernet connection from the ONT and use your own router. I've been using Ethernet from my ONT for over seven years now. My Dlink and Asus routers have always run circles around anything that FiOS has supplied me. I currently have five of their routers gathering dust in my closets.
Yeah, we know, you may have mentioned it only a couple hundred times before. For those just looking to get FiOS and use their equipment, that's a good deal for the Gateway router.
post #18402 of 18409 Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Yeah, we know, you may have mentioned it only a couple hundred times before. For those just looking to get FiOS and use their equipment, that's a good deal for the Gateway router.
And he's right. Just like how he's right about TiVo being far superior to any crap that Verizon or Comcast can supply. The only FIOS competitor that can match TiVo is RCN because they offer TiVo.
post #18403 of 18409 Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 305
If you haven't noticed, this is a Verizon FiOS thread. You're welcome to discuss the service, even be technically critical of it. But out-and-out bashing and thread derailing won't be permitted.

Off topic and insulting posts have been removed.

Stick to the topic from this point forward or risk being banned from the thread.

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
post #18404 of 18409 Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Do you need to have Verizon make any changes on their end to do this? Or is just a matter of configuring their router to forward traffic?
post #18405 of 18409 Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
Do you need to have Verizon make any changes on their end to do this? Or is just a matter of configuring their router to forward traffic?

If your system isn't using the ethernet connection from the ONT and it is using the coax connection, you will have to call them and have them switch it. If it's already using the ethernet connection, then you don't need anything from them.

Here is all the info on the different configurations: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo...3.0_Networking
post #18406 of 18409 Old 12-18-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
If your system isn't using the ethernet connection from the ONT and it is using the coax connection, you will have to call them and have them switch it. If it's already using the ethernet connection, then you don't need anything from them.

Here is all the info on the different configurations: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo...3.0_Networking
Thanks!
post #18407 of 18409 Unread 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post
I have noticed small pixelations of white text on a black background of end credits. First with Ray Donovan and now on multiple premium channets on 2 different DVRs on a plasma and LCD TV. Verizon says my signal strength falls within their acceptable levels, but ticks me off.
I see this exact issue all the time on the [adult swim] bumpers on the Cartoon Network. It drives me crazy.
post #18408 of 18409 Unread Today, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A friend of mine is trying to add a wired connection to his Master Bedroom TV and doesn't have an easy way to run Ethernet up there. He tried Poweline Adapters but there is something funky going on with his wiring that makes it not work so well.

With that in mind can I add a MoCA Adapter to his bedroom connection? Do I need one or two? The ActionTec Router has the other end built in correct?

His Router is connected to the ONT via Coax.

So just to be clear I could buy one of the ECB2500C for him and that should work?
post #18409 of 18409 Unread Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
A friend of mine is trying to add a wired connection to his Master Bedroom TV and doesn't have an easy way to run Ethernet up there. He tried Poweline Adapters but there is something funky going on with his wiring that makes it not work so well.

With that in mind can I add a MoCA Adapter to his bedroom connection? Do I need one or two? The ActionTec Router has the other end built in correct?

His Router is connected to the ONT via Coax.

So just to be clear I could buy one of the ECB2500C for him and that should work?
Yup, works like a charm too. You can even run Ethernet from the MoCA adapter to a switch or additional router in that room as well. Very handy.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page