Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
With:

$599.99 for a TiVo Roamio DVR
$149.99 for a TiVo Mini
$149.99 per year for the TiVo Service Subscription
$59.88 per year for a CableCard

Versus

$37.98 per month for (1) VMS1100 and (1) IPC 1100

What is this mythical savings you speak of?
Seriously, you don't want to open that floodgate. Just scroll through the thread and you can see all the wonderful pro-Tivo/anti-Tivo arguments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18422 of 18444 Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
With:

$599.99 for a TiVo Roamio DVR
$149.99 for a TiVo Mini
$149.99 per year for the TiVo Service Subscription
$59.88 per year for a CableCard

Versus

$37.98 per month for (1) VMS1100 and (1) IPC 1100

Where is this mythical savings you speak of?
aaronwt is 100% right. TiVos with Lifetime are cheaper than paying every month, and the first CableCard gets you an equipment credit, not a cost if you don't have any other MSO equipment on your account. Not sure exactly what Verizon credits, but they have to credit something, that's federal law. In case you can't do math:

TiVo Roamio Plus: $399 plus $499 for Lifetime
TiVo Mini: $150

Total: $1050 minus CableCard equipment credit

$37.84 * 48 months = 1816 Total

Hmm, what's cheaper. And the more boxes you add, the cheaper it gets. With the Minis, TiVo systems typically pay for themselves within 36 months, possibly a bit less if you have a lot of TVs. Comcast has a similar fee structure, although it's not quite as bad, so TiVo doesn't save quite as much. Comcast is $20/mo for the DVR and $10/mo for each satellite box, and -$2.50/mo for the CableCard. Also, TiVos can last significantly longer than 48 months, but I'm assuming by then there's a new model and you'd buy something new, although then you could sell or give away your existing TiVo, so it just gets better!

And of course, there's the part about having a real TiVo, not some cheesy knock-off. That's worth something too!
post #18423 of 18444 Old 01-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
God bless you if you're willing to fork over $1000 for a DVR & STB but riddle me this Kimosabe....

What will you do with your 1080p Roamio+ 2 or 3 years from now when UHD 4K streaming is all the rage?

I'll just swap out my antiquated HD VMS 1100 for the UHD model.

Last edited by 9179mhb; 01-07-2015 at 06:15 PM.
post #18424 of 18444 Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
God bless you if you're willing to fork over $1000 for a DVR & STB but riddle me this Kimosabe....

What will you do with your 1080p Roamio+ 2 or 3 years from now when UHD 4K streaming is all the rage?

I'll just swap out my antiquated HD VMS 1100 for the UHD model.
You sell it for it's residual value. In the past I was able to sell my lifetime TiVos to cover most, if not all, of the cost of a new TiVo. And this is in addition to the monthly savings. The savings certainly aren't mythical. At one point on FiOS I had eight TiVos. Now granted cable cards were $3 a month then, but if I had been renting the DVRs from FiOS, the cost would have been over $60 a month. I sold most of those S3 lifetime TiVos and they covered over 90% of the cost of eight new lifetime Series 4 TiVos(If I had sold all of them it would have covered over 100%. But I gave two to my GF.). So my monthly cost was lower and the hardware net cost was extremely low too.

Now today the cost per tuner is so much lower than back then. Of course the residual value is lower too, but the up front cost is also lower. Many people were getting Lifetime Roamio Pro TiVos for under $600 last year. Not the $1k that it cost me at launch for my lifetime Roamio Pro in 2013. But I did sell my two lifetime, four tuner TiVos to more than cover it.
so my out of pocket cost was zero for the hardware and lifetime service.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-07-2015 at 10:24 PM.
post #18425 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Anyone here using their FIOS with a Denon AVR? I recently bought an Denon AVR-X5200 and I get these random audio dropouts (like hitting the mute button). I called Denon and before I even finished with the description of the issue the tech asked me if I was on FIOS and said that this is a known issue / something to do with the data stream and commercial tagging.

I can say that this seems to happen every time a channel comes out of commercials and goes back to the show (TBS as an example does it all the time) while my local channels never do it.

They said the workaround for now is to connect my DVR to my AVR with an optical cable as well as the HDMI and set the AVR to use it instead of the HDMI. I tried that and still have the issue but I also think that I have a very flaky unit that is going to be RMA'd soon.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this / heard of it before and if they were able to resolve it.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #18426 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Anyone here using their FIOS with a Denon AVR? I recently bought an Denon AVR-X5200 and I get these random audio dropouts (like hitting the mute button). I called Denon and before I even finished with the description of the issue the tech asked me if I was on FIOS and said that this is a known issue / something to do with the data stream and commercial tagging.

I can say that this seems to happen every time a channel comes out of commercials and goes back to the show (TBS as an example does it all the time) while my local channels never do it.

They said the workaround for now is to connect my DVR to my AVR with an optical cable as well as the HDMI and set the AVR to use it instead of the HDMI. I tried that and still have the issue but I also think that I have a very flaky unit that is going to be RMA'd soon.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this / heard of it before and if they were able to resolve it.
I have FIOS and a 4100. I'm also having this issue. It happens when a commercial is playing in two channel then when the show starts back up in 5.1. I just press the volume up a bit and it returns to normal. It is a known issue.
post #18427 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I don't know if FIOS is going to be moving into 4k all that fast. Comcast certainly has plans for a 4k box to be introduced sometime next year, but AFAIK Verizon has made no mention of one.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #18428 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
aaronwt is 100% right. TiVos with Lifetime are cheaper than paying every month, and the first CableCard gets you an equipment credit, not a cost if you don't have any other MSO equipment on your account. Not sure exactly what Verizon credits, but they have to credit something, that's federal law. In case you can't do math:

TiVo Roamio Plus: $399 plus $499 for Lifetime
TiVo Mini: $150

Total: $1050 minus CableCard equipment credit

$37.84 * 48 months = 1816 Total

Hmm, what's cheaper. And the more boxes you add, the cheaper it gets. With the Minis, TiVo systems typically pay for themselves within 36 months, possibly a bit less if you have a lot of TVs. Comcast has a similar fee structure, although it's not quite as bad, so TiVo doesn't save quite as much. Comcast is $20/mo for the DVR and $10/mo for each satellite box, and -$2.50/mo for the CableCard. Also, TiVos can last significantly longer than 48 months, but I'm assuming by then there's a new model and you'd buy something new, although then you could sell or give away your existing TiVo, so it just gets better!

And of course, there's the part about having a real TiVo, not some cheesy knock-off. That's worth something too!
What law would that be about the credit? I've had cable cards with Verizon for over 5 years and I've never had a credit for the first card.
post #18429 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm not having this issue with my Denon 4520 and Sony speaker bar connected to my Roamio Pro and TiVo Minis over HDMI on FiOS.

LED DLP
post #18430 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post
What law would that be about the credit? I've had cable cards with Verizon for over 5 years and I've never had a credit for the first card.
It doesn't apply to FiOS since they don't inlude the DVRs in the price of the bundles. When the bundles include the DVrs in the cost and you bring your own box, then you are entitled to a credit. Which is how it works with Comcast.

LED DLP
post #18431 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm not having this issue with my Denon 4520 and Sony speaker bar connected to my Roamio Pro and TiVo Minis over HDMI on FiOS.
I'm not having this problem with my VMS 1100, which is connected to a 2009 Pioneer SC-07.

It must be a Denon problem.
post #18432 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You sell it for it's residual value. In the past I was able to sell my lifetime TiVos to cover most, if not all, of the cost of a new TiVo. And this is in addition to the monthly savings. The savings certainly aren't mythical. At one point on FiOS I had eight TiVos. Now granted cable cards were $3 a month then, but if I had been renting the DVRs from FiOS, the cost would have been over $60 a month. I sold most of those S3 lifetime TiVos and they covered over 90% of the cost of eight new lifetime Series 4 TiVos(If I had sold all of them it would have covered over 100%. But I gave two to my GF.). So my monthly cost was lower and the hardware net cost was extremely low too.

Now today the cost per tuner is so much lower than back then. Of course the residual value is lower too, but the up front cost is also lower. Many people were getting Lifetime Roamio Pro TiVos for under $600 last year. Not the $1k that it cost me at launch for my lifetime Roamio Pro in 2013. But I did sell my two lifetime, four tuner TiVos to more than cover it.
so my out of pocket cost was zero for the hardware and lifetime service.
You could do that, give them to someone else, put it in another room that doesn't need UHD. Either way, they still have some value.

Quote:
For how long? The audio drops and comes back a couple seconds later on pretty much any AVR if the audio is changing formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post
Do they include any equipment with the TV plan? If they include absolutely nothing, not even an SD box, then that would be legal. If they provide any equipment with the plan, then they have to credit you if you don't have any of their boxes.

Quote:
It doesn't apply to FiOS since they don't inlude the DVRs in the price of the bundles. When the bundles include the DVrs in the cost and you bring your own box, then you are entitled to a credit. Which is how it works with Comcast.
It's any box. My plan includes an SD non-DVR box, but instead I get a $2.50/mo credit. If FIOS includes nothing, then they have to give you a credit for nothing. I.e. nothing.
post #18433 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

I didn't even know they still had non DVR boxes. I thought they just turned off the DVR feature for people that didn't want to pay for it?

LED DLP
post #18434 of 18444 Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
You could do that, give them to someone else, put it in another room that doesn't need UHD. Either way, they still have some value.

For how long? The audio drops and comes back a couple seconds later on pretty much any AVR if the audio is changing formats.

Do they include any equipment with the TV plan? If they include absolutely nothing, not even an SD box, then that would be legal. If they provide any equipment with the plan, then they have to credit you if you don't have any of their boxes.

It's any box. My plan includes an SD non-DVR box, but instead I get a $2.50/mo credit. If FIOS includes nothing, then they have to give you a credit for nothing. I.e. nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post
I have FIOS and a 4100. I'm also having this issue. It happens when a commercial is playing in two channel then when the show starts back up in 5.1. I just press the volume up a bit and it returns to normal. It is a known issue.
My Denon dropping of the audio is a known issue and the sound never comes back, they are blaming Verizon / FIOS and I am sure that Verizon is blaming Denon. According to Denon this is a known issue with their new(er) AVR's. I had the AVR-4000 and exchanged it for the 5200 and it did it on both and yes the way to resolve it is to pause the DVR for a second or hit the volume on the AVR. Personally I can deal with it although its very annoying, my g/f on the other hand is NOT Cool with it at all.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #18435 of 18444 Old 01-09-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have an older one (AVR-2310ci) and don't have the audio dropouts.
post #18436 of 18444 Old 01-09-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't even know they still had non DVR boxes. I thought they just turned off the DVR feature for people that didn't want to pay for it?
Of course they have non-DVR boxes. They have tons of old ones for SD customers that are big clunky pieces of junk. They also have modern HD ones that are similar to the Motorola DCX3400 DVR, just without the DVR part, and then DTAs and the satellite clients for both the DCX3400 and the X1, which, at least for the Motorola ones, can also function as a stand-alone box without a DVR.
post #18437 of 18444 Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The best deal is to just have an Ethernet connection from the ONT and use your own router. I've been using Ethernet from my ONT for over seven years now. My Dlink and Asus routers have always run circles around anything that FiOS has supplied me. I currently have five of their routers gathering dust in my closets.
How do you run ethernet cable from the ONT? Where do you plug it in and why is it better than the coax cable? Can you run ethernet cable from ONT to a network hub, from there directly to TV and and router? Can you also use the Verizon router in this set up? I have the new FiOS Quantum Gateway router which is supposed to be real good.

Thanks
post #18438 of 18444 Old 01-20-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbournazos View Post
How do you run ethernet cable from the ONT? Where do you plug it in and why is it better than the coax cable? Can you run ethernet cable from ONT to a network hub, from there directly to TV and and router? Can you also use the Verizon router in this set up? I have the new FiOS Quantum Gateway router which is supposed to be real good.

Thanks
On my ONT, you open the panel on the lower right hand side and connect the Ethernet cable there. Then you run the cable from the ONT to the router - the FiOS router or your own (though if you have TV, use the FiOS router to make it easier). You then need to contact Verizon and have them "provision" you for Ethernet instead of coax. Takes about 10 minutes or so. After that, you'll be up and running on Ethernet.
post #18439 of 18444 Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have to use ethernet for the 150/150 package. I would recommend it in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
On my ONT, you open the panel on the lower right hand side and connect the Ethernet cable there. Then you run the cable from the ONT to the router - the FiOS router or your own (though if you have TV, use the FiOS router to make it easier). You then need to contact Verizon and have them "provision" you for Ethernet instead of coax. Takes about 10 minutes or so. After that, you'll be up and running on Ethernet.
post #18440 of 18444 Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbournazos View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
I chose to go the Ethernet route before my install years ago. I ran cat6 (including cat6 rated plugs, connectors, etc) from where the ONT was to be installed to an upstairs bedroom...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #18441 of 18444 Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actiontec router as non-FiOS AP?

Due to an upgrade and mix-up/incompetence in the shipping Dept. I find myself with several surplus routers. My Mom has DSL from Verizon, but not FiOS. I was wondering if I could set up one of my old routers as a WiFi Access Point for her instead of buying a separate WiFi router. She doesn't need anything fancy, but she has no WiFi at all, and a lot of devices these days don't even have ethernet.
post #18442 of 18444 Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post
Due to an upgrade and mix-up/incompetence in the shipping Dept. I find myself with several surplus routers. My Mom has DSL from Verizon, but not FiOS. I was wondering if I could set up one of my old routers as a WiFi Access Point for her instead of buying a separate WiFi router. She doesn't need anything fancy, but she has no WiFi at all, and a lot of devices these days don't even have ethernet.
What surplus router do you find yourself with and would you be interested in trading for a WAP (which you could then use for your mother) or selling it outright?
post #18443 of 18444 Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
What surplus router do you find yourself with and would you be interested in trading for a WAP (which you could then use for your mother) or selling it outright?
They both say MI424WR, but one has Rev. 1 after it. It has no working power supply and the older one has 2 (that was the mixup).
post #18444 of 18444 Unread Today, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you that have Quantum and have been less then satisfied with the software, there's a major update coming. It was rolled out to VHO8 this morning. It will continue next week 2/5 then finish up on 2/12. It's the beginning of what is on the older boxes that have 1.9.7. Most of what this update will have it visual changes. Very few of the features will be included with the exception of auto tune. That is included, other features will be in a Q2 update. If you want to see screenshots there's a thread over and dslreports.com with plenty of pics from today's update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page