Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 619 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #18541 of 18561 Old 04-18-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
ESPN has 100 million subscribers for whatever reasons. If they polled 100 million people (I wasn't polled) and found 45% are watching, that is very powerful. Maybe a cable or sat provider will play hardball and risk losing it to make a change.

The subscriber numbers are high because they force the cable providers to put it on a low tier that just about everyone has. But a minority of people actually watch the channel. The majority of people are forced to subsidize ESPN for the minority of people that watch it.

Wow! and look how much we are forced to pay for it. $6.04?!!? That is a crazy amount of money for a non premium channel that a person can't opt out of getting. It would be nice if the government did their job and prevented people from being forced to pay stuff like this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18542 of 18561 Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes ESPN doesn't want to lose all their customers that subsidize their channels. The majority of people subsidize ESPN for the minority of people that actually watch it. This is one reason why I was excited about this offering from FiOS. I would finally have a way to cut some costs by not being forced to pay for the Regional Sports networks or the ESPN channels. WIth the base pack plus four of the seven available channel packs, I would be able to cut my monthly cost by $25. And then also save $2.42 more by not having to pay the Regional Sports Network fee.

Currently I pay $140 a month(before taxes and fees) for the Ultimate HD tier, 75/75 Internet, and phone service.

WIth the announced plan the triple play with 75/75 internet, phone and TV with the base channels plus two channel packs would cost $95 a month. Then I would add two more channels packs bringing the monthly cost to $115 a month.
Just curious. If you don't need sports do you even need cable tv?
post #18543 of 18561 Old 04-18-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Just curious. If you don't need sports do you even need cable tv?
Most people I know only watch a few sports. A small minority of their TV watching. Most of their watching is TV shows and they all have cable TV/Satellite. Well except for my GF which has OTA only. But she has me record a bunch of programs for her each week from cable. Most of what I watch is from cable. Although I do have a TiVo Roamio BAsic connected to OTA. But I typically use it just to take shows over to my GFs house.

ESPN has only averaged 1.4 million viewers for baseball this year. That is not a lot of people. Although it was almost a 50% increase from the previous year.

The only reason ESPN is so popular is because Disney forces the cable companies to put it on a low tier so that everyone has to pay for it. If they were forced to only have people subscribe to it that watch it or wanted to pay for it, they would be losing the vast majority of their subscribers. Of course that also goes for a bunch of other channels that cost a lot less. ESPN gets grief only because they charge so much for it. If the cost was only a dollar or two it wouldn't bother me as much as the $6 cost that was posted.

Or if I had my way that six dollar cost would go toward me getting The Weather Channel BAck and swapping it with ESPN. I got much more use from TWC than I ever got from having ESPN. At least then I would be getting more use from that money.
joblo likes this.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-18-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #18544 of 18561 Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
The only reason ESPN is so popular is because Disney forces the cable companies to put it on a low tier so that everyone has to pay for it. If they were forced to only have people subscribe to it that watch it or wanted to pay for it, they would be losing the vast majority of their subscribers.
Still not sure where you are getting your info from regarding ESPN. The reason they are so popular is because they lead all cable channels in ratings and viewership. I understand you don't like sports but we must be accurate here. If they were not killing the ratings and total viewership they would not be able to charge so much.

ESPN No. 1 in Cable Ratings and Total Viewership for 2014
post #18545 of 18561 Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Still not sure where you are getting your info from regarding ESPN. The reason they are so popular is because they lead all cable channels in ratings and viewership. I understand you don't like sports but we must be accurate here. If they were not killing the ratings and total viewership they would not be able to charge so much.

ESPN No. 1 in Cable Ratings and Total Viewership for 2014
Did you see the numbers listed in the article?
That article shows that their largest viewership for a show was 25 million. The college football championship game. Of course that is far form the average of 2.3 million viewers it normally gets. Even if it got 25 million viewers regularly(which it doesn't come anywhere close to), that is still less than a quarter of the homes out there. An overwhelming minority. Or you can base it on the 18 to 49 demo which averages under 1 million. Which is much, much lower. And that is demographic that really matters.

So it averages 2.3 million viewers and charges around $6 per subscriber. Yet the number two network, USA, averages 2.2 million viewers and charges 83 cents per viewer. Or the number three network is TNT, which averages 2 million viewers and charges $1.42 per viewer. Either way that sounds like a big rip off for ESPN based on the number of average viewers it gets when compared to the other cable networks. The only reason ESPN can get away with charging so much is because of the muscle of Disney behind it. Disney forces everyone to get ESPN and their other channels.

But either way that article shows just how small a minority of the total viewers available that ESPN actually gets.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-18-2015 at 08:47 PM.
post #18546 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 04:01 AM

Regardless of all the slanted opinion you are standing on, the fact is more people watched ESPN in 2014 than any other cable network. ESPN in the Number 1 in ratings and Total Viewership. Doesn't get any better than number 1.
post #18547 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Regardless of all the slanted opinion you are standing on, the fact is more people watched ESPN in 2014 than any other cable network. ESPN in the Number 1 in ratings and Total Viewership. Doesn't get any better than number 1.
Number one is still a minority of viewers by an extremely wide margin. It doesn't change the fact that the majority subsidize the cost for a minority of viewers of the channel. And that article is excellent evidence of that.

And then when taken with the info also posted by you, that shows the monthly cost of cable channels. It shows how big of a rip off ESPN is when compared to other channels that only have a few percent fewer viewers. But cost much, much less per subscriber.

I knew ESPN was ripping us off but that information shows it's at an entirely different level than I thought. Maybe one day the FCC will grow a pair and do something about the forced subscription model.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-19-2015 at 06:05 AM.
post #18548 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Number one is still a minority of viewers by an extremely wide margin. It doesn't change the fact that the majority subsidize the cost for a minority of viewers of the channel. And that article is excellent evidence of that.
ESPN has more viewers than any other cable channel. The others you watch are worse and suck more than ESPN in your made up "minority of viewers". ESPN is on top of the hill and have more viewers than any other cable network. Number 1 in ratings. Get over it. Why does that bother you so much. You can't miss the weather channel that bad.

OT: I added up the "new custom TV" plan equal to what I have now. I'd be paying $65 more per month for less than what I have now. Slower internet speed too.
post #18549 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd also venture to guess that ESPN spends MUCH more on its programming than those other cable networks. Contracts with the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, etc. do not come cheap. It's not as if ESPN is re-running inexpensive old movies or TV shows for the majority of its day, like many of those other cable networks.
post #18550 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
ESPN has more viewers than any other cable channel. The others you watch are worse and suck more than ESPN in your made up "minority of viewers". ESPN is on top of the hill and have more viewers than any other cable network. Number 1 in ratings. Get over it. Why does that bother you so much. You can't miss the weather channel that bad.

OT: I added up the "new custom TV" plan equal to what I have now. I'd be paying $65 more per month for less than what I have now. Slower internet speed too.
Do you not understand what minority means? Anything less than 50% is the minority. ESPN doesn't come anywhere close to getting 50% of it's subscribers watching.

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-19-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #18551 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Exclamation

Quote:
Do you not understand what minority means? Anything less than 50% is the minority. ESPN doesn't come anywhere close to getting 50% of it's subscribers watching.
I think that he really doesn't understand that the MAJORITY of subscribers don't EVER watch ESPN and regret the fact that ABC FORCES them to PAY FOR IT.

Dave Hancock
post #18552 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Off topic
post #18553 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I checked the new FiOS offerings earlier today. I didn't see BBCA anywhere. Plus it said I was not eligible to get them. I guess because I still have fourteen months left on my two year contract.

Which sucks because I would be able to save over $325 a year by getting this deal with four channel packs(plus phone and 75/75 internet)and not having to pay the $2.42 Regional sports fee that I'm currently forced to pay. The idea of not having to pay for that and espn has me salivating for this deal. But I guess I will need to wait until I'm further along in my two year contract.

LED DLP
post #18554 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just checked again and they must have changed something because now it says I can get the new Custom channel tier. But the pricing isn't coming out like it said in the press release. With four channel packs, 75/75 and phone it should be $115. But when I plug everything in, the price is coming up as $135. I pay $5 more than that and get all the channels and most of the premium channels. For a $25 savings I would sign up but not for a $5 savings.

LED DLP
post #18555 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm an avid sports watcher. could never think about any TV service with no espn or regional sports. $140/mnth for all that is a great price. I'm at $115 for the same. But in the midst of free hbo, showtime for 6 months. Soon as I saw HBO Now I called retention and got the free hbo and sho. ESPN is a powerful channel block. Many more watch it than you think. There is a reason it's the world's most valuable media property.
As Charlie Ergen admitted, not even 20% of MVPD subs EVER watch ESPN.
post #18556 of 18561 Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

ESPN was #1 CABLE NETWORK for 2014 for the first time (and it was NOT by a big margin). USA Network was the leader in 2013. And the total numbers ESPN delivers were dwarfed by what each of the 5 Big Broadcast Networks delivered. (ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/Univision).

What you fail to understand is TV ratings are not based on a January 1st to December 31st date. They are based on the season starting in Fall and running through Summer.

Thus far ESPN has not won a Season.

In fact, Fox News is leading 2015 at this point.

So while ESPN won the CABLE Network ratings for the FIRST TIME EVER in 2014, they may or may not win the 2014-2015 Season, which is all that really matters.

And of course they are the most valuable cable channel. When 100M Households are forced to pay over $7.00 for the entire ESPN package in 2014 (Will be $8 this year) - and less than 20% actually watch it, that means the ESPN package is getting roughly $40 a month in 2014 for those <20%. ($8 * 5 = $40).

Has NOTHING to do with viewers, as cable does not pay a set percent per viewer.

If it did, Broadcast TV would get 35% of your cable bill, instead of roughly $1 per channel.
post #18557 of 18561 Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Apparently the new Custom channel pricing, that was in the FiOS press release, is for new customers only. Existing customers pay more. So the custom channel package won't be of much use to existing customers except maybe some that have zero incentives on their account. So I pretty much got all excited for nothing. At the prices they want for the custom packages, it is almost as much as I already pay for the Ultimate HD tier. So there is no point in me changing for just a few dollar savings a month.

LED DLP
post #18558 of 18561 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Apparently the new Custom channel pricing, that was in the FiOS press release, is for new customers only. Existing customers pay more. So the custom channel package won't be of much use to existing customers except maybe some that have zero incentives on their account. So I pretty much got all excited for nothing. At the prices they want for the custom packages, it is almost as much as I already pay for the Ultimate HD tier. So there is no point in me changing for just a few dollar savings a month.
Ah, that makes sense then. I took a look at the new options and it didn't really change my bill very much. Of course they've split the sports tier into 2 groups and I'd have to order both to get all the channels I want. So in my case I'd pay about the same and get get rid of a bunch of channels I rarely watch.

Will have to keep an eye out for what Comcast is offering when my current contract expires in a fee months.
post #18559 of 18561 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

Yep, not surprisingly, they took all of the good channels and placed a few of each into all of the different packs so that you end up needing 4 of the channel packs instead of the 2 that are included. At that point, there is no savings, or very minimal at best.
post #18560 of 18561 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Yep, not surprisingly, they took all of the good channels and placed a few of each into all of the different packs so that you end up needing 4 of the channel packs instead of the 2 that are included. At that point, there is no savings, or very minimal at best.
And the base package appears to be $54.95, tough to save much when you're starting that high.
post #18561 of 18561 Old Today, 09:53 AM

Liked: 13
Although a huge drop in available content per $, I think Custom HD might work for me. I currently do not have a 2 year agreement and have Ultimate, 75/75 and phone. I decided to compare what we actually watch/record vs. Custom HD and I was able to save $35 only needing one add-on package plus the basic. I added another package because I needed to choose 2 add-ons. My total savings should be $52 per month, as I also decided to go back to 50/50 internet (as I saw no perceivable benefit with 75/75) and eliminate the security software option. My savings are based on comparing the estimated bill with taxes, fees etc...

We'll see if I can live with it, but paying for 100's of channels I don't watch seems to be a waste. We all have different needs and my goal was trying to pay just for what I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming