Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 619 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
post #18541 of 18547 Unread Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
ESPN has 100 million subscribers for whatever reasons. If they polled 100 million people (I wasn't polled) and found 45% are watching, that is very powerful. Maybe a cable or sat provider will play hardball and risk losing it to make a change.

The subscriber numbers are high because they force the cable providers to put it on a low tier that just about everyone has. But a minority of people actually watch the channel. The majority of people are forced to subsidize ESPN for the minority of people that watch it.

Wow! and look how much we are forced to pay for it. $6.04?!!? That is a crazy amount of money for a non premium channel that a person can't opt out of getting. It would be nice if the government did their job and prevented people from being forced to pay stuff like this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18542 of 18547 Unread Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes ESPN doesn't want to lose all their customers that subsidize their channels. The majority of people subsidize ESPN for the minority of people that actually watch it. This is one reason why I was excited about this offering from FiOS. I would finally have a way to cut some costs by not being forced to pay for the Regional Sports networks or the ESPN channels. WIth the base pack plus four of the seven available channel packs, I would be able to cut my monthly cost by $25. And then also save $2.42 more by not having to pay the Regional Sports Network fee.

Currently I pay $140 a month(before taxes and fees) for the Ultimate HD tier, 75/75 Internet, and phone service.

WIth the announced plan the triple play with 75/75 internet, phone and TV with the base channels plus two channel packs would cost $95 a month. Then I would add two more channels packs bringing the monthly cost to $115 a month.
Just curious. If you don't need sports do you even need cable tv?
post #18543 of 18547 Unread Yesterday, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Just curious. If you don't need sports do you even need cable tv?
Most people I know only watch a few sports. A small minority of their TV watching. Most of their watching is TV shows and they all have cable TV/Satellite. Well except for my GF which has OTA only. But she has me record a bunch of programs for her each week from cable. Most of what I watch is from cable. Although I do have a TiVo Roamio BAsic connected to OTA. But I typically use it just to take shows over to my GFs house.

ESPN has only averaged 1.4 million viewers for baseball this year. That is not a lot of people. Although it was almost a 50% increase from the previous year.

The only reason ESPN is so popular is because Disney forces the cable companies to put it on a low tier so that everyone has to pay for it. If they were forced to only have people subscribe to it that watch it or wanted to pay for it, they would be losing the vast majority of their subscribers. Of course that also goes for a bunch of other channels that cost a lot less. ESPN gets grief only because they charge so much for it. If the cost was only a dollar or two it wouldn't bother me as much as the $6 cost that was posted.

Or if I had my way that six dollar cost would go toward me getting The Weather Channel BAck and swapping it with ESPN. I got much more use from TWC than I ever got from having ESPN. At least then I would be getting more use from that money.
joblo likes this.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 06:04 PM.
post #18544 of 18547 Unread Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only reason ESPN is so popular is because Disney forces the cable companies to put it on a low tier so that everyone has to pay for it. If they were forced to only have people subscribe to it that watch it or wanted to pay for it, they would be losing the vast majority of their subscribers.
Still not sure where you are getting your info from regarding ESPN. The reason they are so popular is because they lead all cable channels in ratings and viewership. I understand you don't like sports but we must be accurate here. If they were not killing the ratings and total viewership they would not be able to charge so much.

ESPN No. 1 in Cable Ratings and Total Viewership for 2014
post #18545 of 18547 Unread Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Still not sure where you are getting your info from regarding ESPN. The reason they are so popular is because they lead all cable channels in ratings and viewership. I understand you don't like sports but we must be accurate here. If they were not killing the ratings and total viewership they would not be able to charge so much.

ESPN No. 1 in Cable Ratings and Total Viewership for 2014
Did you see the numbers listed in the article?
That article shows that their largest viewership for a show was 25 million. The college football championship game. Of course that is far form the average of 2.3 million viewers it normally gets. Even if it got 25 million viewers regularly(which it doesn't come anywhere close to), that is still less than a quarter of the homes out there. An overwhelming minority. Or you can base it on the 18 to 49 demo which averages under 1 million. Which is much, much lower. And that is demographic that really matters.

So it averages 2.3 million viewers and charges around $6 per subscriber. Yet the number two network, USA, averages 2.2 million viewers and charges 83 cents per viewer. Or the number three network is TNT, which averages 2 million viewers and charges $1.42 per viewer. Either way that sounds like a big rip off for ESPN based on the number of average viewers it gets when compared to the other cable networks. The only reason ESPN can get away with charging so much is because of the muscle of Disney behind it. Disney forces everyone to get ESPN and their other channels.

But either way that article shows just how small a minority of the total viewers available that ESPN actually gets.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 08:47 PM.
post #18546 of 18547 Unread Today, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Regardless of all the slanted opinion you are standing on, the fact is more people watched ESPN in 2014 than any other cable network. ESPN in the Number 1 in ratings and Total Viewership. Doesn't get any better than number 1.
post #18547 of 18547 Unread Today, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Regardless of all the slanted opinion you are standing on, the fact is more people watched ESPN in 2014 than any other cable network. ESPN in the Number 1 in ratings and Total Viewership. Doesn't get any better than number 1.
Number one is still a minority of viewers by an extremely wide margin. It doesn't change the fact that the majority subsidize the cost for a minority of viewers of the channel. And that article is excellent evidence of that.

And then when taken with the info also posted by you, that shows the monthly cost of cable channels, it shows how big of a rip off ESPN is when compared to other channels that only have a few percent fewer viewers.

LED DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming