Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 623 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #18661 of 18662 Unread Today, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The quality has suffered on many channels because of more channels per QAM on FiOS. But in my area, when compared to Comcast, FiOS still easily beats their quality . . .
Thanks for your reply. I assumed that FiOS still rated best, but started to worry when I saw that they moved to three channels per QAM. The amount of pixelation on TimeWarner with content that has any sort of detail or motion was absolutely intolerable.

LEVEL4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18662 Unread Today, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 View Post
Thanks for your comments. My original plan was to buy a minimal cable package and use the money saved to buy as many on-demand, new-release movies as I wanted each month (e.g., the $24 difference between Preferred and Ultimate buys me four more on-demand movies a month).

My previous cable bill was $297/month with TimeWarner, which included: broadband internet, x2 HD DVRs, x2 HD boxes, x4 digital adapters w/HDMI (free at TimeWarner--the only thing I liked about them), plus all available cable/premium channels. Over the years, the price kept creeping up from about $179/month to finally, $300/month, with less equipment.

I figured when I made the move to FiOS, I'd go bare-bones on cable channels and go crazy buying as many movies as I wanted (since that's the only programming we tend to watch on TV). My new target monthly nut was supposed to be $200/month, leaving a "surplus" of $100/month to splurge toward on-demand content (i.e., as many as sixteen $5.99 movies a month).

Right now, I'm at $198/month, out-the-door, with the FiOS equipment/plan I just ordered: x1 VMS1100, x4 IPS1100, 50/50, Preferred HD, plus all premium channels. I was originally only going to buy HBO (or even just purchase HBO unbundled, and stream it), and no other premium channels; however, the two-year FiOS premium-channel incentives are so deeply discounted, it didn't seem to make sense not to get all the premiums.

I use TiVos with FIOS so I only have one cable card to rent. With the cable card and taxes, my monthly bill is $160. Then if I add my Verizon Wireless, that adds another $60 a month after taxes. But currently Verizon also gives me a $10 discount on wireless for having both FIOS and cellular.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page