Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 623 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #18661 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The quality has suffered on many channels because of more channels per QAM on FiOS. But in my area, when compared to Comcast, FiOS still easily beats their quality . . .
Thanks for your reply. I assumed that FiOS still rated best, but started to worry when I saw that they moved to three channels per QAM. The amount of pixelation on TimeWarner with content that has any sort of detail or motion was absolutely intolerable.

LEVEL4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 View Post
Thanks for your comments. My original plan was to buy a minimal cable package and use the money saved to buy as many on-demand, new-release movies as I wanted each month (e.g., the $24 difference between Preferred and Ultimate buys me four more on-demand movies a month).

My previous cable bill was $297/month with TimeWarner, which included: broadband internet, x2 HD DVRs, x2 HD boxes, x4 digital adapters w/HDMI (free at TimeWarner--the only thing I liked about them), plus all available cable/premium channels. Over the years, the price kept creeping up from about $179/month to finally, $300/month, with less equipment.

I figured when I made the move to FiOS, I'd go bare-bones on cable channels and go crazy buying as many movies as I wanted (since that's the only programming we tend to watch on TV). My new target monthly nut was supposed to be $200/month, leaving a "surplus" of $100/month to splurge toward on-demand content (i.e., as many as sixteen $5.99 movies a month).

Right now, I'm at $198/month, out-the-door, with the FiOS equipment/plan I just ordered: x1 VMS1100, x4 IPS1100, 50/50, Preferred HD, plus all premium channels. I was originally only going to buy HBO (or even just purchase HBO unbundled, and stream it), and no other premium channels; however, the two-year FiOS premium-channel incentives are so deeply discounted, it didn't seem to make sense not to get all the premiums.

I use TiVos with FIOS so I only have one cable card to rent. With the cable card and taxes, my monthly bill is $160. Then if I add my Verizon Wireless, that adds another $60 a month after taxes. But currently Verizon also gives me a $10 discount on wireless for having both FIOS and cellular.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18663 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I use TiVos with FIOS so I only have one cable card to rent . . .
I was also considering going with all-TiVo DVRs at one time (that was the point at which I was planning to cut the cord completely, and go OTA and streaming exclusively). At the time, the only OTA-compatible TiVo was the lowest-capacity, 500-hour Roamio model (they've now branded an identical-looking box the "Roamio OTA DVR"). The thing that stopped me from going with TiVo was that the "lifetime" service is limited to the lifetime of the particular box you buy it for.

We have four main viewing areas, plus an "accessory" screen in the bedroom:

• Master bedroom HT set-up + second-screen (with a separate tuner).
• Living room HT set-up.
• Kitchen mini-HT system.
• Garage.

Currently, every STB and IP device is hard-wired via either RG6 or CAT6 (i.e., we have no devices delivering content wirelessly). All viewing areas will also be equipped with a streaming box (if not already built-in to the display). I assume I would need, at minimum five TiVo devices. TiVo product lifetime service pricing is currently $349. What would you recommend to accommodate five viewing stations if choosing this route?

LEVEL4
post #18664 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

You use the TiVo Minis as client boxes and a Roamio Pro with six tuners. I've used over three dozen TiVos over the last fourteen years and they have all been fine. First with DirecTV in 2001 and then with cable starting in 2006. At one point I used eight cable cards with Comcast and then FiOS. It's nice now to only need to use one cable card.

The only issue though with so many client boxes is if live TV is actually used. Because the Minis use a tuner from the Roamio Pro for live TV. Which means it can't be used for a recording. But then you could also go with a Roamio Pro and a Roamio Basic/OTA(to take up some of the slack) with four minis. It really all depends on how TV is watched in your home as to what would be needed.

LED DLP
post #18665 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I use TiVos with FIOS so I only have one cable card to rent. With the cable card and taxes, my monthly bill is $160. Then if I add my Verizon Wireless, that adds another $60 a month after taxes. But currently Verizon also gives me a $10 discount on wireless for having both FIOS and cellular.
Discount for both? How do I sign up for this? Never saw that option anywhere.
post #18666 of 18673 Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM

Upgrading displays and integrating IP devices for new FiOS installation:

I'm planning to upgrade an aging 65" Sharp 1080P LCD in the master bedroom with an 80" Sharp 1080P edge-lit LED. The living room currently has a 50" Panasonic 720P plasma display, which will be replaced by a 65" Sony or Samsung 1080P LED.

• Master bedroom 'A': Sharp 80" 1080P LED; sources: VMS1100 + FireTV + Sony BD + PS4.
• Master bedroom 'B': Toshiba 19" 720P LED; sources: IPC1100-A unit + Roku 3.
• Living room: Sony 65" 1080P LED; sources: IPC1100-B unit + Roamio OTA.
• Kitchen: Toshiba 19" 720P LED; sources: IPC1100-C unit.
• Garage: Dual LG 42" 1080P LEDs; sources: IPC-1100-D unit + XBox One x2.

LEVEL4

Last edited by LEVEL4; Today at 01:49 AM.
post #18667 of 18673 Unread Today, 02:14 AM

Quote:
You use the TiVo Minis as client boxes and a Roamio Pro with six tuners . . .
Thanks for that reply. I plan on being a heavy FiOS on-demand customer; does a cable-carded TiVo allow access to the FiOS on-demand UI? When I was considering going with TiVos a while back, it must've been before the Mini was announced, since the Mini makes multiple viewing stations affordable now. And since Minis aren't DVRs, I'll also avoid paying for any additional lifetime service subscription fees. Is this what I would need for five viewing stations?

• x1 TiVo Roamio Pro 6-tuner DVR ($299, refurbished).
• x1 Product lifetime service for above DVR ($349 summer sale price).
• x4 TiVo Minis, service fees included ($149 x 4 = $596).

Total: $1,244.

LEVEL4

Last edited by LEVEL4; Today at 05:18 AM.
post #18668 of 18673 Unread Today, 02:23 AM

TiVo vs. Quantum:

TiVo Romeo:
• x1 TiVo Romeo Pro 6-tuner DVR.
• x4 TiVo Romeo Minis
Total fixed cost: $1,244.
Total variable cost: $4.99/month FiOS cable card rental fee.

FiOS Quantum:
• x1 VMS1100
• x4 IPC 1100
Total fixed cost: $34.99 x2 = $69.98 activation fee.
Total variable cost: $41.99/month [$20/month Quantum fee waived for 24 months].

12/24-month cost breakdowns:
$1,244 [TiVo]/$41.99 [Quantum] = $29.62/month for 24-months.
$41.99 [Quantum fee waived] x 24 = $1,008
$41.99 + $20 Quantum fee x 24 = $1,488
Annual cost of Quantum equipment rental, fee waived: $41.99 x 12 = $504
Annual cost of Quantum equipment rental, plus $20/month service fee: $62 x 12 = $744

Now, I need to assess the UI, processors, and overall functionality. Here's some things I plan to evaluate in the coming days:

• Which UI is prettier?
• Which UI is more responsive?
• Which processor is faster?
• Which remote is better?
• Which UI shows the most channels in a single screen?
• Which UI shows the longest time-span in a single screen?
• Which UI shows the least advertising?
• TiVo's input screen appears to be alphabetic, e.g., "ABC." Does either support QWERTY?
• Does either support a standard Bluetooth keyboard?
• Does either support voice input?

LEVEL4

Last edited by LEVEL4; Today at 05:14 AM.
post #18669 of 18673 Unread Today, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Thanks for that reply. I plan on being a heavy FiOS on-demand customer; does a cable-carded TiVo allow access to the FiOS on-demand UI?
Nope. At least, not where I live.

I don't know Butchie instead

Last edited by PooperScooper; Today at 04:08 AM.
post #18670 of 18673 Unread Today, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Nope. At least, not where I live.
No

John
HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18671 of 18673 Unread Today, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
Discount for both? How do I sign up for this? Never saw that option anywhere.
I don't think they offer it any more.

LED DLP
post #18672 of 18673 Unread Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for that reply. I plan on being a heavy FiOS on-demand customer; does a cable-carded TiVo allow access to the FiOS on-demand UI? .............
No VOD with a cable card. I used to rent a STB just for VOD access, but I found I rarely ever used it. Just about everything they had with VOD I was accessing with other services. So I ended up returning the HD STB to save the $10 a month fee they were charging me for it. Of course now they charge even more.

LED DLP
post #18673 of 18673 Unread Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Not sure what the prices are now, but I checked them when they first released the custom packages. For me, I currently have the Ultimate HD tier, 75/75 internet and phone for $140 a month. With the included packages plus a couple more and I was already within a few dollars of my current price. But what I have now has a bunch of premium channels, Redzone, and some other ones. Along with BBCA-HD etc. So I decided not to make any changes. If I could have saved $20 I probably would have switched to the custom channels. But they give the bets prices to new customers.
Same here. Getting all the "custom packages" I needed had the net effect of removing a bunch of channels I never watched without saving me any money. Easier to just disable them from the lineup. My 2 year deal is up in a few months, will have to do the FiOS vs Comcast compare again soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page