Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 624 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #18691 of 18700 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 View Post
I'm just happy to get more than the measly 7Mbps (more like 3-5Mbps, actual) than I used to pay $34.99/month for on my old, never-renegotiated TWC internet service. Finally, I have decent bandwidth! By the way, since Netflix' UltraHD only requires 25Mbps, why would anyone need 75/75 or greater service?
Multiple people in the house. Just the past week a co-worker was telling me that they hit their 4 screen limit on Netflix for the first time. Five people in their house wanted to watch something different from Netflix at the same time. And of course you can't stream more than four at the same time.

I'm on the 75/75 plan which is really 84 down and 92 up. But I could easily use more speed since I'm typically hitting my download limit. Just the other day I had updates and games downloading to my two XBOnes, a 360, and a PS4. It would have been nice to have been back on the 150Mb/s tier while I was doing that since it took too long doing them all concurrently. I miss the the 150 tier, that I used to have, pretty much every day.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18692 of 18700 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, John, but I think I'm now totally good with just the Roku sourcing the second screen (which was previously sourced with a TimeWarner digital adapter, which was free for the first year, and only $1/month thereafter). That'll save me another box rental (which I think is $8.99/month).

I haven't had my Roku hooked up for a few months (I've been using my FireTV for Amazon Prime content on the big TV). Now, I've just re-assigned the Roku, dedicated to my small second-screen (my "newsfeed" TV), and it's working out great. Roku-streamed CBSNews and SkyNews look amazing for some reason (razor-sharp; no artifacts). I bought both the Roku3 and FireTV on sale last Xmas as an experiment, and now I have a home for each:

• Amazon FireTV connected to AVR as one of its sources for the soon-to-be 75" Sony W850C.
• Roku3 + TotalMount bracket as the sole-source for viewing news and NASA HD on the small TV.

Again, FiOS picture quality: I don't think it's new-owner's bias--the picture does appear to look markedly better than my TimeWarner experience. I've noticed virtually no artifacting on detail or motion (the mild artifacting I saw on Contact was primarily due to the noisy transfer, I believe). On TimeWarner, almost every graphics-heavy commercial and every title sequence exhibited artifacting.

FiOS Motorola VMS1100 | Sony DA5300ES | Sony 75W850C | FireTV | Roku3 | PS4 Destiny | XboxOne
FTTH | GbE | POTS

Last edited by LEVEL4; Today at 01:43 AM.
post #18693 of 18700 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm on the 75/75 plan which is really 84 down and 92 up. But I could easily use more speed since I'm typically hitting my download limit. Just the other day I had updates and games downloading to my two XBOnes, a 360, and a PS4. It would have been nice to have been back on the 150Mb/s tier while I was doing that since it took too long doing them all concurrently. I miss the the 150 tier, that I used to have, pretty much every day.
We also have a pile of game systems, and updates and downloads do consume a lot of bandwidth. I guess we're lucky that we don't all seem to need bandwidth at the exact same times. Don't get me wrong, as I would love to have 150/150 since as a photographer I often upload tons of GBs to clients and to my content-delivery websites.

FiOS Motorola VMS1100 | Sony DA5300ES | Sony 75W850C | FireTV | Roku3 | PS4 Destiny | XboxOne
FTTH | GbE | POTS
post #18694 of 18700 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Thanks, John, but I think I'm now totally good with just the Roku sourcing the second screen (which was previously sourced with a TimeWarner digital adapter, which was free for the first year, and only $1/month thereafter). That'll save me another box rental (which I think is $8.99/month).

I haven't had my Roku hooked up since Xmas (I've been using my FireTV for Amazon Prime content on the big TV). Now I have the Roku dedicated to the small screen and it's working out great (CBSNews and SkyNews look amazing for some reason). I bought both the Roku3 and FireTV on sale as an experiment, and now I have a home for each:

• Amazon FireTV connected to AVR as one of its sources for the soon-to-be 75" Sony/Samsung.
• Roku3 + TotalMount bracket as the sole-source for viewing news and NASA HD on the small TV.

Again, FiOS picture quality: I don't think it's new-owner's bias--the picture does appear to look markedly better than my TimeWarner experience. I've noticed virtually no artifacting on detail or motion (the mild artifacting I saw on Contact was primarily due to the noisy transfer, I believe). On TimeWarner, almost every graphics-heavy commercial and every title sequence exhibited artifacting.

The picture Is sharper because there is no additional compression of the video signal like you have with cable.

John
HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18695 of 18700 Old Today, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
I'm just happy to get more than the measly 7Mbps (more like 3-5Mbps, actual) than I used to pay $34.99/month for on my old, never-renegotiated TWC internet service. Finally, I have decent bandwidth! By the way, since Netflix' UltraHD only requires 25Mbps, why would anyone need 75/75 or greater service?
25mbps? I thought it was like 6mbps.

Does anybody on fios get Netflix ultra hd? How do we get it and how do we know we are getting it.
post #18696 of 18700 Old Today, 03:57 AM

I haven't tried it myself (since I only have a regular subscription), but I found these Netflix FAQs online:

FTTH | GbE | POTS
post #18697 of 18700 Old Today, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
The picture Is sharper because there is no additional compression of the video signal like you have with cable.
Thanks. Why do you think CNN International and NASA HD streams are so horrible?

FTTH | GbE | POTS
post #18698 of 18700 Old Today, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Thanks. Why do you think CNN International and NASA HD streams are so horrible?
Its probably due to the feed that they are getting from these sources. Sometimes to lower the cost or because some other provider has an "exclusive" carriage contract with the network, Verizon is limited to a "lower grade" feed. You would have to do some research to find out.

John
HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18699 of 18700 Unread Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
25mbps? I thought it was like 6mbps.

Does anybody on fios get Netflix ultra hd? How do we get it and how do we know we are getting it.
Netflix receommends 25Mb/s for streaming their UHD content.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

To get Netflix Ultra HD content you need a UHDTV with a Netflix app that can access the UHD content.

Just like with some of the Netflix devices that shows you info about the stream in the upper left, you can see this info with the UHD streams as well. With the devices that support showing this info.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18700 of 18700 Unread Today, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Its probably due to the feed that they are getting from these sources . . .
Probably. Both CBSNews and SkyNews are streamed/supported by CBS and Sky. I have to stream the CNN International feed that I'm able to get from a private channel [thenowhereman.com/roku "in association with "Glo"], and I think the NASA HD stream is from another private channel provider.

FTTH | GbE | POTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page