Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 630 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #18871 of 18877 Old 01-25-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is there an audio compression setting? If so, turn it off. I always turn that off with my devices.
That's a good question. The DVR does have an audio setting called Dynamic Range. It's set at "Heavy," but does that mean it's a "heavy" (aka "wide") dynamic range, with no compression, or does it mean "heavy" compression?

I have never changed this setting, and yet the issue just started happening w/ on-demand content over the past year. I never notice it while watching a channel or a DVR recording, but I admit I don't use the AVR very often, so maybe I haven't noticed it other than while watching on-demand.

Watching the news now, I tried the other two settings: "none" or "light" and the news announcers' voices were much quieter. I'll play w/ it while watching an on-demand movie and will report back. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18872 of 18877 Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 452
None means no dynamic range compression. Heavy means more compression. More compression tends to give louder dialogue, at the cost of audio fidelity.

Also make sure you have audio format set to surround. In addition, you can go into the service and under additional HDMI settings, select format for audio output. Choices are Auto (not sure what that is), LPCM, and pass through (meaning Dolby usually). To get into service menu, press power, ok, menu in quick succession on the remote. This does not work if you are recording something.
mrkalel likes this.
post #18873 of 18877 Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I wonder how much bandwidth they can reclaim by using this effect, or is it something that helps their digital storage?
0 Bandwidth Saved

This isn't Analog.....its all 1s and 0s.
post #18874 of 18877 Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is there an audio compression setting? If so, turn it off. I always turn that off with my devices.
There is audio compression in the FiOS STB's setting (as well as others). I always turn it off on setup as well.
post #18875 of 18877 Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have Verizon Fios Quantum . The Hd channels usually have 42 dBs signal strength. On Demand is 26 dB and the quality is bad but in the menu, they say both signals are "good"
Can anyone tell me if these numbers are up to snuff? 75/75. Is there an "Excellent" signal strength and if so how do I achieve it? Have a new TV and the blacks are often crushed in On Demand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jackie C; 02-11-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: forgot item
post #18876 of 18877 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C View Post
Have Verizon Fios Quantum . The Hd channels usually have 42 dBs signal strength. On Demand is 26 dB and the quality is bad but in the menu, they say both signals are "good"
Can anyone tell me if these numbers are up to snuff? 75/75. Is there an "Excellent" signal strength and if so how do I achieve it? Have a new TV and the blacks are often crushed in On Demand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It either works or it doesn't. It's all digital, so signal strength doesn't matter, as long as it works reliably. On Demand is done through MoCA anyway, and artifacts are the result of compression. Nothing you can do about that.
post #18877 of 18877 Old Today, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
It either works or it doesn't. It's all digital, so signal strength doesn't matter, as long as it works reliably. On Demand is done through MoCA anyway, and artifacts are the result of compression. Nothing you can do about that.
My MoCa Data says :
Nodes 3
Nodes ID 0
TX Rate 630
RX Rate 630

Does that mean anything to anyone here? Is it ok or can it be improved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming