Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 633 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 78Likes
post #18961 of 18975 Unread 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Had FiOS connected early March and maybe my expectations were too great, but quite disappointed in the technical quality and customer service! Late May, I stopped getting DVR service. The DVR menu suggested that I sign up to get the service. It took 2 days and nearly 9 hours on the phone, including a number of disconnects to get things back to normal. I spoke to multiple customer service and tech reps. Early on, I was told that I never had DVR service. Insane. Finally, a tech, on day 2 of this idiocy was able to reopen my DVR service and he told me that there is known problem with the VMS1100 and the DVR service. Since, then I've received a number of e-mails and a letter in the mail welcoming me, "New Customer" to FiOS and showing that my monthly bills would be much higher than I've been paying and that I was to pick up a Self Installation kit. I believe that finally yesterday, after numerous calls to the billing department, I have things straightened out. There was another technical problem. Two channels that I watch had intermittent pixilation and freezing. A replacement VMS1100 was sent to me replacing a brand new one that was originally installed. The replacement had layers of "crud" on its bottom and a noticeable dent on its top. I continued to have the problem. FiOS then replaced a long length of old coax in my apartment. No help. Finally, the next tech who came to the apartment told me I was getting RF interference and that the two offending channels were on the same digital pack. He then told me that the ONT was susceptible to RF interference and we proceeded to use an aluminum pie plate to shield it and when that didn't work, we then wrapped the ONT in aluminum foil. Nothing worked and so much for FiOS being at the forefront of technology. Speaking of that, I sorely miss the VMS1100 not being able to output "Native." Without "Native" both the VMS1100 and my 4k HDTV are upscaling and that's not optimal. Also, the DVR is the only that I've ever used that doesn't backup by a few seconds when you pause and then play. Obviously, by all of this, I'm sorely disappointed in what was expected to be cutting edge technology backed by Verizon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18962 of 18975 Unread 07-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe it differs from area to area? I live in the Comcast HQ, Philly. Premium channels like HBO, SHO, magazine channels such as NatGeo and Discovery were blazing 1080. The Phillies games on Comcast Sportnet were super sharp. A techie looking with a microscope would find some nitpick I'm sure. But I was beyond satisfied. There would be a channel like FOX, that would broadcast the NFL games in a soft 720-ish resolution, but that was their fault, not Comcast. Football on CBS and NFL Network were 1080.

I'll probably wind up getting another FIOS box, but I suspect that it's a slick cost cutting measure that they thought the customers wouldnt notice. Im gonna get the runaround. It's not just the channels. The On Demand is soft and pixely.
post #18963 of 18975 Unread 07-09-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Yes Comcast is different in different areas. In my area Comcast generally looks like crap compared to FiOS. But even so I might be switching to COmcast shortly unless FiOS offers me a generous monthly credit to stay. I've been with FiOS for nine years no and the last few years have seen a few extra fees. But my last two year contract ended last week and then they raised my rates by over six dollars. Most for the Regional Sports network fees which I never watch. Now they are almost $6 a month. For channels I never ever watch. Since it pissed me off so much I'm seriously considering leaving FiOS. Now that Comcast has increased their cap to 1TB, Comcast is a viable option for me. I would only have 35Mb/s upload speeds, but at least I would still have 150Mb/s download speeds and much lower prices for a triple play that I'm paying FiOS now. I'll need to make a decision shortly about it.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18964 of 18975 Unread 07-10-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes Comcast is different in different areas. In my area Comcast generally looks like crap compared to FiOS. But even so I might be switching to COmcast shortly unless FiOS offers me a generous monthly credit to stay. I've been with FiOS for nine years no and the last few years have seen a few extra fees. But my last two year contract ended last week and then they raised my rates by over six dollars. Most for the Regional Sports network fees which I never watch. Now they are almost $6 a month. For channels I never ever watch. Since it pissed me off so much I'm seriously considering leaving FiOS. Now that Comcast has increased their cap to 1TB, Comcast is a viable option for me. I would only have 35Mb/s upload speeds, but at least I would still have 150Mb/s download speeds and much lower prices for a triple play that I'm paying FiOS now. I'll need to make a decision shortly about it.
Yea, I think that makes sense. Go from great TV to Crap TV as you say to save $6/month. And don't bother to ask Verizon if there is a way to change your package to avoid the Regional Sports fees since you don't watch sports. You don't want that custom package they now offer anyway

John
LG 55OLEDE6P
55HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18965 of 18975 Unread 07-10-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My two years are up at the end of September.

I would like to dump * all Tv and go with Vue through Roku.

I've made some effort to find out how hard this will be. It means keeping Internet (yet they insist that I must move to a higher Service level) and I'm willing to keep home phone (they seem to nearly have a heart attack at the mention of no phone service).

It looks like a nightmare. They really really don't like this....

* That expensive STB rental burns me and those Fees are amazing. just when did they place two franchise Fees on my account - one for the nearby town and one for the township !

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !

Last edited by Dmon4u; 07-10-2016 at 01:12 PM.
post #18966 of 18975 Unread 07-10-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Yea, I think that makes sense. Go from great TV to Crap TV as you say to save $6/month. And don't bother to ask Verizon if there is a way to change your package to avoid the Regional Sports fees since you don't watch sports. You don't want that custom package they now offer anyway
$6?? I wouldn't switch for only a $6 savings. I would get new customer savings which is several times that amount. I can't get those great prices with FiOS until I'm a new customer again. And I've already talked to FIOS about it. WHich is why I'm considering switching

The only way to avoid the regional sports fees on FiOS is to get the Custom package or local TV only package. The local only is obviously locals. WHich I can already get OTA. The custom package is missing a bunch of channels I want. Any package that has the channels I want also has the Regional Sprts channels and the asscoiated Regional Sports fees. Even on Comcast this is the case but Comcast currently charges half as much as FiOS for the RSN fees in my area.. But my price with Comcast would be much lower than what I'm paying now.
And FiOS wants too much to keep only INternet or INternet/phone.

I need to call retention this week. If they would offer me $25 a month in credits I would stay. Even though I could save $40 a month at Comcast over what FiOS is charging me. With a non contract plan.

With a 2 year contract I would save around $50 a month plus I would get a $200 gift card. But I have no desire to sign a long term contract. Worst case, I switch to Comcast for up to twelve months then come back to FiOS as a new customer. And sign a new, two year, contract at FiOS with the excellent prices for new customers.

I would rather avoid the switching back and forth. But at this point they have pissed me off enough to do it. And since Comcast has also raised their cap to 1TB, makes Comcast INternet a viable option for me now.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-10-2016 at 03:20 PM.
post #18967 of 18975 Unread 07-11-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

I ended up getting a two year deal this morning since they gave me Ultimate HD, 150/150, and digital voice for $145 a month for two years(at least supposedly). But I need to call back to see if I can get the Starz deal for 12 months. I forgot that was being offered online. It's still around $20 more than what I would pay with Comcast, especially if I went to Ooma for phone service. But I do get to avoid the hassle of switching services.
jrref likes this.

post #18968 of 18975 Unread 07-11-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I ended up getting a two year deal this morning since they gave me Ultimate HD, 150/150, and digital voice for $145 a month for two years(at least supposedly). .
I'd take that (Currently paying $10 more for ultimate 75/75 and voice. ) The only upgrade option I see is 300/300 for $110 more

759am Scrap that I see a more manageable $20 more for 150/150

Last edited by chitchatjf; 07-12-2016 at 05:00 AM.
post #18969 of 18975 Unread 07-12-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I ended up getting a two year deal this morning since they gave me Ultimate HD, 150/150, and digital voice for $145 a month for two years(at least supposedly). But I need to call back to see if I can get the Starz deal for 12 months. I forgot that was being offered online. It's still around $20 more than what I would pay with Comcast, especially if I went to Ooma for phone service. But I do get to avoid the hassle of switching services.
If you want the best service, it's going to cost a little more.

John
LG 55OLEDE6P
55HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18970 of 18975 Unread 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM

I went through the customer service trouble shooting excercises, On Demand is still pixely, the channels still 720 soft, so they're sending another box tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best...the WiFi, mobile app, and TV features are actually pretty cool. But you know how FOX would stand out (on Comcast) with their lower res 720 sports broadcasts? Every FIOS channel is like that. Technically high def, but softer. They're going to try to sell me that it's 1080, when I had Comcast, and know it's NOT 1080 .
post #18971 of 18975 Unread 07-13-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post
I went through the customer service trouble shooting excercises, On Demand is still pixely, the channels still 720 soft, so they're sending another box tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best...the WiFi, mobile app, and TV features are actually pretty cool. But you know how FOX would stand out (on Comcast) with their lower res 720 sports broadcasts? Every FIOS channel is like that. Technically high def, but softer. They're going to try to sell me that it's 1080, when I had Comcast, and know it's NOT 1080 .
I've seen this before. Have you checked all of your coax connectors? Tug on every coax connector to make sure it's good and also make sure it's screwed in tight.

John
LG 55OLEDE6P
55HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18972 of 18975 Unread 07-13-2016, 12:13 PM

I got the new box, new wires, still 720-ish channels, pixely on demand. This is some compression bs, I'm screwed. Deal with this until I get Comcast back...
post #18973 of 18975 Unread 07-13-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post
I got the new box, new wires, still 720-ish channels, pixely on demand. This is some compression bs, I'm screwed. Deal with this until I get Comcast back...
I think you should have a tech out to your home. There is obviously an issue with some cabling somewhere.
post #18974 of 18975 Unread 07-13-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I think you should have a tech out to your home. There is obviously an issue with some cabling somewhere.
As I have said, I have seen this before and it's usually a cabling or splitter issue and in some cases it could be from what they call low light from the fiber. Request a tech and i'm sure they will be able to fix it.

John
LG 55OLEDE6P
55HU9000 / SEK-3500
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
post #18975 of 18975 Unread Today, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Comcast does a bunch of below the line fees too. I'm not sure if they've broken out the RSNs yet, but they definitely have one for the local channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I've seen this before. Have you checked all of your coax connectors? Tug on every coax connector to make sure it's good and also make sure it's screwed in tight.
Unless it's breaking up or dropping out completely, signal strength isn't the issue. They're all digital, so you pretty much either get the signal or you don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming