AVS Forum banner

Verizon FiOS HDTV

2M views 19K replies 1K participants last post by  Marcus Carr 
#1 ·
I have heard about the new Verizon FIOS internet and TV services being rolled out across the country. My question is since they are using fiber optics to transmit their signal and with giving them additional bandwidth, will Comcast be ready to compete with them for pure channel capacity?

#12,681 ·
are you sure that DVR will come out this year for Fios? I transferred my Comcast services to new apt and rather than keep my same promotion I originally had, they signed me up for a new more expensive one. I am debating switching to fios but I hate the 20 hr HD capacity.

#12,682 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/18700894

I'm not really understanding your point. Most of us desire content, especially high def channels, and are not satisfied with just receiving the standard local channels. Why would anyone subscribe to FiOS to receive just a few network channels???

I started trying to get HDTV nearly a decade ago. At that time the cable networks had very little HD available. Most of the HD was on local channels. So I kept my DirecTV subscription for SD (cheaper than Comcast; great TiVo box available) and pursued various ways of getting HD w/o an expensive cable package.

Even now, a lot of the HD I watch is from the OTA networks. A lot of the cable HD stuff is worse than useless. E.g. CNBC claims they have "HD plus". Wrong!!! They put the live program on the left side of the screen and a bunch of random charts and statistics (unrelated to the program) on the right side of the screen. That's "HD minus". I can't watch it; the SD version is better.

Yes, there is finally good HD starting to be available from cable channels. But (another useless made up statistic coming) I bet that most of the HD (measured by number of hours) watched by "ordinary people" (not AVS Forum types) is still from the OTA networks. And I predict that won't change for years.

I've switched to FiOS "Extreme HD". However, there are quite a few people who want HD, but who can't afford to spend $1,000 per year on cable. In my area Comcast charges less than $150 per year (including tax) for basic cable. Including local HD.

#12,683 ·
You can't always get a local package.

Some friends I have subscribe to FIOS internet but would be fine with just the local stations so they wouldn't have to screw with an antenna. However, both Verizon and Comcast told them that they can't offer them a local station only package because they were "in a competitive area."

I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I'm guessing that if a cable company is the only game in town, they are forced to offer a local only package. However, once you have a choice between to cable providers, they aren't forced to carry a basic package anymore and you can only get what they offer.

Also, not renting a box presumes that a person's TV has a QAM tuner and not all of them do.

#12,684 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 /forum/post/18704436

You can't always get a local package. Some friends I have subscribe to FIOS internet but would be fine with just the local stations so they wouldn't have to screw with an antenna. However, both Verizon and Comcast told them that they can't offer them a local station only package because they were "in a competitive area." I'm not 100% sure what that means...

I've been mentioning this a lot recently. While it has been the case since 1992 that there has been effective competition for expanded basic service all over the country, and therefore the authorities have stricken the regulations regarding how that service will be provided and for what price (something that would be applicable if the companies were monopolies, which they're not). What evidently has precluded effective competition for the provision of local channels is the fact that authorities waived the requirement for satellite service providers to offer them, thereby removing two competitors from the equation. Well, now things have changed... mostly the satellite service providers have started providing local channels, and of course, FiOS and U-Verse are offering service in some areas.

As a result, the authorities are acknowledging how effective competition even for the provision of local channels is being realized in more and more communities. I've seen a dozen FCC press releases in the last few weeks, some outlining another dozen or two communities were there is now effective competition for limited basic service, as there has been for all other cable television services for years. (Another few releases released on Thursday, including DA-10-972A1.) With the realization of effective competition for limited basic service, regulations are inappropriate, and so each company can decide for themselves how much to charge for each service. They still have to provide them on the lowest tier of service (something that satellite is still exempted from), but the expanded basic can be the lowest tier of service in those communities where there effective competition now for both expanded basic and local channels. And, of course, the CSR can't offer you a package that isn't available in a specific area.

So consumers have gotten what they've wanted... effective competition for all subscription television service, cable and local channels. Perhaps this falls into the category of "careful what you wish for"? Because from what you're saying, provision of local channels is so worthless to service providers that once they have the option not to offer it, they take that option.

#12,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT55 /forum/post/18703114

are you sure that DVR will come out this year for Fios? I transferred my Comcast services to new apt and rather than keep my same promotion I originally had, they signed me up for a new more expensive one. I am debating switching to fios but I hate the 20 hr HD capacity.

Here is an article on it...

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...a_Set_Tops.php

When I asked, I was told later this year they should be available. Since no firm date was ever announced than I would not say this year is a guarantee. But on the other hand, I cannot see a delay unless they are trying to deplete current DVR supply.?.

#12,686 ·
One interesting thing to note about the new STB news is that there are only two models: the 7100 HD STB and the 7232 HD DVR. There is no "green" SD STB. And I think it's fair to say that's because, in 5-7 years, Verizon will probably no longer offer an SD STB.

The other interesting thing you can draw from this is that, when Verizon is ready to go MPEG4, it appears they will also be ready to cull every SD duplicate channel from their lineup. This might increase Verizon's interest in transitioning to MPEG4. They stand to free up an enormous amount of bandwidth whenever they make the shift.

Obviously, these are still far off, long term objectives. But the DVR news reflects positive steps in that direction.

#12,688 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 /forum/post/18704436

Also, not renting a box presumes that a person's TV has a QAM tuner and not all of them do.

FiOS works great with TiVo HD. You can buy the TiVo, you don't need to rent.

I've been using TiVos for a decade, and can't tolerate watching TV any other way. I can FF thru Letterman for the Top Ten list and for the musical guest, probably 5 mins altogether. Same with most shows. The most stressful part of being on vacation is having to watch "linear TV".

For most people, TV time comes out of the "other" time budget. Think about it. Between sleeping, eating, work, commuting, surfing the Internet, etc, how much time is there for TV? I'd rather watch the highlights of a program than be forced to sit thru mind numbingly long blocks of commercials (just before the musical guest, Letterman does two back-to-back commercial blocks of about 4 mins each, with a very short throwaway program segment in between).

As to cost, I'd rather subscribe to basic cable and be able to afford a TiVo than subscribe to FiOS Extreme HD and be forced to watch w/o a DVR.

#12,689 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18697672

Any news regarding a newer FIOS box? I really miss my PIP with TW and the defunct Passport... And I'd love a bigger hard drive. I don't archive anything and it's still difficult to record weekly shows and jockey through them in time.

Only having had FIOS for a week, I feel the same. The regular tv season is over and I can barely get through the few very few shows I have on the dvr before the freakin hard-drive is at 80%.

#12,690 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna /forum/post/18698043

Waiting with baited breath myself for the new huge
360 gig DVR. It will be expandable so that is at least good. I don't know if PIP will work but on Moto's it seems like it won't.

I am told 3rd/4th quarter.

At least there is one coming, but 3rd/4th quarter is still aways off.

#12,691 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride /forum/post/18705659

How will this affect the tivo premiere? can the new tivo do MPEG4? I ask because i have verizon fios and will be getting a tivo premiere soon.

All recent HD TiVo's have built-in MPEG-4 support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt /forum/post/18705435

The other interesting thing you can draw from this is that, when Verizon is ready to go MPEG4, it appears they will also be ready to cull every SD duplicate channel from their lineup. ... Obviously, these are still far off, long term objectives. But the DVR news reflects positive steps in that direction.

Your idea makes sense if the SD feeds are moved over to IPTV at the same time as the HD channels move to MPEG-4. Otherwise, a more staggered approach would be better, so fewer forced STB switches would be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna /forum/post/18705232

When I asked, I was told later this year they should be available. Since no firm date was ever announced than I would not say this year is a guarantee. But on the other hand, I cannot see a delay unless they are trying to deplete current DVR supply.?.

I assume that Verizon has a very conservative method, so they're absolutely sure that STBs are going to work in the field. There are private beta tests on set-top boxes before they're put out for public beta tests, etc... Especially since the previous 7xxx series DVRs have had reliability issues, they have to hit a homerun this time.

On a side note, does the QIP7232 include support for Home Media DVR? Will Motorola introduce their "green" version of that DVR in the future? Or will future Home Media DVR's come from Cisco?

On another side note, could the new "green" non-DVR model be a second generation of QIP7100? I have a QIP7100 that I got in late March. It looks and works like any 6xxx-series HD STB, only it has an HDMI output instead of a DVI-D output. Unlike the unit shown in the above link, it's not black, nor is it smaller than a 6xxx STB.

#12,692 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb /forum/post/18708217

On a side note, does the QIP7232 include support for Home Media DVR? Will Motorola introduce their "green" version of that DVR in the future? Or will future Home Media DVR's come from Cisco?

The new DVR will function the same as far as Home Media DVR. What will improve is physical size, weight, CPU speed, increased Hard Drive capacity, and it is (most importantly) Hard Drive capacity expandable.

Also, it may require IMG 1.9 which will not be ready till later this year. Also IMG 1.9 appears to be a completely new rebuild with a new color scheme for one.

IMG 1.8 needs to come first and that was/is scheduled over June - July. IMG 1.8 is mostly bug fixes but they are working on making the existing DVR's expandable and there is/are new guide data provider(s). Announcement to come. New firmware/software had to be written for these and that should be in IMG 1.8 to some extent. All of this is subject to change.

They were trialling Cisco in Buffalo area AFAIK. Cisco, as I was told, will not be used since their Cisco over Motorola Overlay doesn't work for Verizon's requirements.

#12,693 ·
Will IMG 1.9 be true 16:9?

#12,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna /forum/post/18705232

Here is an article on it...

So does this mean the rumored Cisco box is dead? Very confusing with all of the iterations of new boxes that FIOS is allegedly 'testing'.

#12,697 ·

Quote:

On another side note, could the new "green" non-DVR model be a second generation of QIP7100? I have a QIP7100 that I got in late March. It looks and works like any 6xxx-series HD STB, only it has an HDMI output instead of a DVI-D output. Unlike the unit shown in the above link, it's not black, nor is it smaller than a 6xxx STB.

The current 7100 model in use;

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-.../QIP7100_US-EN

The 7100 (P2) model for future use;

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...df?localeId=33

#12,698 ·

Quote:

All recent HD TiVo's have built-in MPEG-4 support.

The devil is in the details. Just because Verizon and TiVo both "support" MPEG-4, that doesn't mean a TiVo box is guaranteed to work with whatever Verizon decides to do in the future.

Fortunately, the person you responded to has a TiVo Premiere. That is TiVo's newest hardware, so there's a much better chance it will work. I have a somewhat older TiVo HD box. No guarantee that TiVo will make any possibly needed changes to the older software.

#12,699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin /forum/post/18709519

The devil is in the details. Just because Verizon and TiVo both "support" MPEG-4, that doesn't mean a TiVo box is guaranteed to work with whatever Verizon decides to do in the future. ... No guarantee that TiVo will make any possibly needed changes to the older software.

From what I've heard, the hardware of Series3, TiVo HD, and the Premiere, are powerful enough for MPEG-4. All that's left is the firmware, and if it hasn't been done, already, TiVo would be stupid not to do it, eventually. Comcast has made a public commitment to MPEG-4, and Verizon's future-proofing themselves by deploying MPEG-4 boxes. The writing's on the wall.

As for MPEG-4 channels on Verizon, you shouldn't be worried about every HD channel going to MPEG-4 all at once. Right now, there are a lot of 6xxx-series boxes which only support MPEG-2. If I had control over the process, any MPEG-4 channels over the coming year or two would be channels in the movie and Ultimate HD packages. This would reduce the number of 6xxx-series STB's that would need switching. And even if you minimize the number of box switches needed, Verizon's going to have to stockpile enough MPEG-4 capable STB's to switch those out.

#12,700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus /forum/post/18634629

Let me initiate a topic switcheroo. Anyone out there happily getting value out of the Verizon In-Home Agent? I downloaded the app about a month ago and since then incorporated whatever updates they have thrown my way. But every time I launch the app it tells me the system is currently unavailable and to phone in if I have a problem. I haven't had any problems to get assistance for but I always like to poke around in something new. Now it may just be bad timing on my part and the system is up more than down. I was just wondering what others' experience with this may be, or if anyone here has even used it.

Anyone? I launched this again this evening and it still tells me the system is unavailable. Is this a "service" or a ruse?