post #19051 of 19063 Old 07-30-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 2454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdviewer25 View Post
Need help with an annoying issue. I have two channels that won't work on two of the four tvs I have connected. Spike HD 554 and Comedy Central HD 690. Already replaced splitters, about to replace cable. Want other tips before calling a tech to fix.
Make sure that all the coax connectors are good meaning that the connector is on the cable tightly and not loose, try pulling on the cable and check to see that all the connections are tight. Usually in a case like this, the signal is low or marginal. It may be that the optical connectors from the hub to your ONT need to be cleaned or maybe that the ONT is defective.

John
Sony 55A1E / LG 55OLEDE6P
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
ISF Level II Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19052 of 19063 Old 09-01-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As I'm preparing for my install next weekend, I'm trying to figure out how to get everything set up. I pre-wired my apartment with coax running from my front closet (where the ONT will be located) behind the walls to each room. Unfortunately I was not aware of the 100Mb limit over coax. So I've been thinking I would have to choose between losing the extra speed or running an ethernet cable from the closet along the base molding through my front hall to the living room where I plan to keep the router. That won't give me the clean look I was going for...but for the significantly faster speeds could be worth it. But then I came across this Actiontec Ethernet Adapter and was wondering if this would solve my problem. Can I take the coax connection in my living room, plug it into this adapter, and then go coax out to the set top box and ethernet out to the quantum gateway to get my full speed? I'd be happy to spend $80 to have a one cable solution.

Edit: After looking at the tech specs for the Quantum Router, it indicates:

Support for multiple networking standards, including:
WAN - Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces
LAN - 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces

Integrated wired networking with 4-port Ethernet switch and MoCA
Ethernet supports speeds up to 1000 Mbps
MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 enabled to support speeds up to 700 Mbps over coaxial cable

Based on this am I even limited to 100Mb if I run coax from the ONT to the Quantum router?
post #19053 of 19063 Old 09-01-2017, 02:05 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6206 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
They only use coax and MoCA for 100/100 and below. Above that and they use Ethernet to the ONT.

MoCA can easily exceed 100Mb/s speeds. But FiOS uses Ethernet for ONT connections above that. I guess if they still use MoCA then they wouldn't guarantee any higher speeds?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-01-2017 at 02:09 PM.

post #19054 of 19063 Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They only use coax and MoCA for 100/100 and below. Above that and they use Ethernet to the ONT.

MoCA can easily exceed 100Mb/s speeds. But FiOS uses Ethernet for ONT connections above that. I guess if they still use MoCA then they wouldn't guarantee any higher speeds?
Thanks. So it sounds like I won't be able to go coax directly to the quantum gateway (unless I want to be limited to ~100Mb.) Any idea if the Actiontec Ethernet Adaptor would solve my problem?
post #19055 of 19063 Old 09-01-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
As I'm preparing for my install next weekend, I'm trying to figure out how to get everything set up. I pre-wired my apartment with coax running from my front closet (where the ONT will be located) behind the walls to each room. Unfortunately I was not aware of the 100Mb limit over coax. So I've been thinking I would have to choose between losing the extra speed or running an ethernet cable from the closet along the base molding through my front hall to the living room where I plan to keep the router. That won't give me the clean look I was going for...but for the significantly faster speeds could be worth it. But then I came across this Actiontec Ethernet Adapter and was wondering if this would solve my problem. Can I take the coax connection in my living room, plug it into this adapter, and then go coax out to the set top box and ethernet out to the quantum gateway to get my full speed? I'd be happy to spend $80 to have a one cable solution.

Edit: After looking at the tech specs for the Quantum Router, it indicates:

Support for multiple networking standards, including:
WAN - Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces
LAN - 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces

Integrated wired networking with 4-port Ethernet switch and MoCA
Ethernet supports speeds up to 1000 Mbps
MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 enabled to support speeds up to 700 Mbps over coaxial cable

Based on this am I even limited to 100Mb if I run coax from the ONT to the Quantum router?
You can ask the fios tech to run fiber all the way to where your router is. They have a desktop ont which has a fiber input then the output can go cat5 to the router, etc... You can connect the coax to the rest of the rooms from that point if they are all not terminated in the closet. If they are, best to just run a cat5E so eventually you can get 1Gb speed.

John
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
ISF Level II Certified
post #19056 of 19063 Old 09-01-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
You can ask the fios tech to run fiber all the way to where your router is. They have a desktop ont which has a fiber input then the output can go cat5 to the router, etc... You can connect the coax to the rest of the rooms from that point if they are all not terminated in the closet. If they are, best to just run a cat5E so eventually you can get 1Gb speed.
Yes, they are all terminated in the closet. That said, the fiber is slighly thinner than Cat 5 so it's a more attractive option. I could then split the coax out from the desktop ONT and send one cable directly to the set top box and the other through the walls and back to the closet where I could split it again to the other two coax cables in the closet to pass the signal to the other rooms.

But I'm still trying to figure out if the Actiontec Ethernet Adaptor I linked to above would allow me to take the coax in the living room and turn that into close to 1Gb speeds? If I could even get 500Mb that way I'd be content for at least a few years. And I'd get the cleaner look with all my cables out of sight.

Also, I just got my FiOS installation package this afternoon. It contains the set top boxes, remotes, cables and quantum gateway...but no ONT. Does the installer bring that?
post #19057 of 19063 Old 09-02-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, they are all terminated in the closet. That said, the fiber is slighly thinner than Cat 5 so it's a more attractive option. I could then split the coax out from the desktop ONT and send one cable directly to the set top box and the other through the walls and back to the closet where I could split it again to the other two coax cables in the closet to pass the signal to the other rooms.

But I'm still trying to figure out if the Actiontec Ethernet Adaptor I linked to above would allow me to take the coax in the living room and turn that into close to 1Gb speeds? If I could even get 500Mb that way I'd be content for at least a few years. And I'd get the cleaner look with all my cables out of sight.

Also, I just got my FiOS installation package this afternoon. It contains the set top boxes, remotes, cables and quantum gateway...but no ONT. Does the installer bring that?
Yes, but when the installer gets there, explain, calmly, what you are trying to do and see what alternatives he can offer. He probably won't know about the adaptor. My suggestion, if you plan to stay there a while, get the fiber run to the TV so you always have the fastest link as upgrades occur.

John
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
ISF Level II Certified
post #19058 of 19063 Old 09-02-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Yes, but when the installer gets there, explain, calmly, what you are trying to do and see what alternatives he can offer. He probably won't know about the adaptor. My suggestion, if you plan to stay there a while, get the fiber run to the TV so you always have the fastest link as upgrades occur.
Thanks. I'll give the Actiontec Adapter a shot. I may also have him run fiber into the living room as you suggest.
post #19059 of 19063 Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I went ahead and ordered the Actiontec. But I'm still confused as to how this thing works and where it should be installed. All the diagrams show the Actiontec being placed after the router/gateway...but I was thinking I would install it to the coax from the wall in the living room, and then connect it to the router. Hopefully the installer has a clue. lol
post #19060 of 19063 Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my install on Saturday. The range of their Quantum gateway is pretty average, but it is sufficient to reach everywhere in my apartment. The speed I'm getting on my various devices does differ by quite a bit (25Mb to 400Mb)...but that could likely be due to the quality of the wireless cards/antennas in each. I did buy the Actiontec MOCA adapter and have that running off coax in the living room and then ethernet out to a switch so that all the home theater devices in my AV rack are hard wired. I'm getting about 500Mb that way. So in my case I'm not seeing GB speeds (as was expected), but considering I was previously on a 75Mb plan, getting 5x that for less $ is a win in my book and should be more than sufficient for a few years.
VARTV and jrref like this.
post #19061 of 19063 Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pretty quiet in here. I had one other question...anyone know if you can program the verizon remote to control the volume on a receiver?
post #19062 of 19063 Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6206 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
Not sure about that, but if you enable HDMI-CEC it can control it. The two days that I had a FiOS STB, I was able to control my receiver volume with the STB remote because of HDMI-CEC.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19063 of 19063 Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Pretty quiet in here. I had one other question...anyone know if you can program the verizon remote to control the volume on a receiver?

Yes, you can, if you have the 4 device remote. I don't think the remote with just STB and TV will do it. A quick Google search brings up this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...etup/setup.htm

If you have the 2 device remote, use the CEC suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page