Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 18217 Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I can indeed confirm that you need RG-6. As I posted in another thread, I've got all 3 types of boxes that Verizon offers - SD, HD, HD-DVR.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 18217 Old 11-11-2005, 11:23 AM

Rats.

That's gonna be a PITA of a cable pull.

There sure as hell ARE user serviceable parts inside!
post #183 of 18217 Old 11-11-2005, 08:12 PM

It seems, judging by our local newspaper, the Manhasset Press letters to the editor, pressure is heating up on our local cable commission to approve a Verizon FIOS TV franchise. Local commissions on Long Island appear to be throwing obstacles in the way by making all sorts of demands to consider franchise approval and only one area (Massapequa) has rewarded a franchise though a number of areas are wired up.

Commissioners have also been accused of accepting free cablevision service from our local monopolist, Cablevision, but I have not verified this. I suggested to a commission person that they make it known if this is not true. I will continue to make noise through letters, calls, attendance at meetings, etc. to helpush the process along.

John
post #184 of 18217 Old 11-12-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevo View Post

I got a knock on my door last night from a teenager going door to door selling FIOS TV in my neighborhood (Keller, TX). I had to help him out quite a bit with his sales pitch, but he made a sale last night.

I'm going to get the HD DVR box. My question to anyone who knows is: what kind of connection goes to the box? My FIOS demarc is on the detached garage and I've run Cat5 into the house, and have punched down 5 ports behind the TV. If the box runs on cat5, it'll be the easiest installation the installer has ever done.

If I need to run RG6, I'd like to know now, before the installer shows up, because I want the jack on an inside wall and my experience with the installers is they won't work in an unfinished attic and will only install jacks by drilling through the brick on an outside wall.

Send him over here, bad pitch and all! As a matter of fact, they can't throw a bad pitch with Fios

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #185 of 18217 Old 11-12-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevo View Post

If I need to run RG6, I'd like to know now, before the installer shows up, because I want the jack on an inside wall and my experience with the installers is they won't work in an unfinished attic and will only install jacks by drilling through the brick on an outside wall.

I'm certain that the TV does indeed require the RG-6 cabling. So run it now. I've heard that the VOD does use IP/Cat5, but I don't know for certain.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #186 of 18217 Old 11-15-2005, 04:47 PM

I'm definitely getting Verizon TV ... I've had FIOS since last spring and have not seen one blackout or service interruption the entire time ... I was having constant problems with COX high speed internet, and I can't wait to cut all ties to that company ... plus, if everything I'm hearing is true, my bill will be significantly less with better PQ ... how can I not switch?
post #187 of 18217 Old 11-16-2005, 01:26 PM

I went with DirecTV about a year and a half ago because I'd seen how DVRs with cable service looked. The quality was somewhat degraded because the cable box was decompressing the signal and the DVR was recompressing the signal for storage and then decompressing the signal again for playback.

Do the DVRs from Fios have the same problem? Does the signal look degraded, or is the DVR receiving and storing the compressed digital signal and then decompressing it only once for display?
post #188 of 18217 Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the Verizon box is the same Motorola Cable box that the cable companies use. I'm sure there are some hardware tweeks, but it likely behaves the same.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #189 of 18217 Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Fios and cable DVRs both act the exact same:

Digital channels - playback is the same quality as live broadcast

Analog channels - degredation on playback

The difference ... of course ... being that all channels are supposed to be available digitally via Fios while cable has traditionally had a large analog-only lineup (those "lower 100" channels). In which case Fios has the advantage for those "Basic" and "Extended Basic" channels.

However, many cable plants are implementing "Digital Simulcast" ... at which point all channels are available digitally ... at which point for both Fios and cable playback will look the exact same as live ...
post #190 of 18217 Old 11-16-2005, 06:32 PM

As far as I can tell, there is not any degredation on the HD channels. I haven't recorded much SD (digital or analog) but what I have recorded doesn't appear to be too bad.

It is true that much of the FIOS offering is digital.

John
post #191 of 18217 Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I would switch to Verizon just to get HDNET Movies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #192 of 18217 Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

JJ,

Just a quick question here.. I currently have fios internet and am greatly looking forward to the release of fios tv.. Anyway.. when purchasing the verizon tv service.. Does the $40/month include a basic SD box? I'm curious, because we currently have 3 receivers for directv, and so I was wondering if we'd just be charged for 2 additional stb's, correct? One SD box is included w/ the sub, and any additional ones you have to pay the fees for, correct? I just want to know exactly how much it'll cost. Also, is there any discount given to fios internet/tv subscribers? Thanks.
post #193 of 18217 Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 AM

Mike:

I'm not 100% certain on that but I believe that you will have to pay for 3 boxes ($3.95 apiece for the SD). My bill has been kinda quirky due to the trial period which is now up so I'm a bit uncertain on that. I do know that they do not offer a SD DVR. HD boxes (standard or PVR) or more expensive 9.95 or 12.95 respectively.

Sorry I can't be more definitive on that first box but I believe that I am paying for 3 right now.

John
post #194 of 18217 Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

They just activated FIOS internet in my area (Lawrenceville NJ) and I was REALLY surprised that the 30 MBPS package costs $179 PER MONTH while the 15 MBPS package costs $44.95 per month.

Why in the world are they pricing it so high for 30 MBPS? If they had a reasonable rate, let's say even up to $69 per month for the 30 MBPS package they'd get a lot of subscribers. With the $179 per month they will get ZERO residential customers, and they obviously are trying to price out residential customers from that package.

Is ANYONE out there getting the 30 MBPS package and what do you pay?????

Are you using their wireless router and does their wirless G router actually transfer the full 15 or 30 MBPS rate, and does their wireless router support VPNs?
post #195 of 18217 Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Nhey,

While I admit the jump from 15-30Mbps is very steep, why in God's name would you NEED a 30Mbps connection, for a home? I have the 5Mb/2Mb and I am very content. I could see why some people might want the 15Mbps connection, also considering it's very reasonably priced, but 30Mbps is certainly overkill. What's the upload speed w/ the 30Mbps, maybe that's where the premium is coming from?

Either way, I see no need for someone to need 30Mbps d/l speeds unless you have a small army for a family all using the same connection, or you do a massive amount of illegal downloading, in which case it's still debatable whether 30Mbps is any better than 15 because you're still waiting on the host...

I wouldn't get your feathers ruffled over such a small issue. Cable was price gouging around here before Verizon offered Fios w/ 4Mbps/768Kb for $55/month, which was very upsetting. I as well as 99% of verizon's customers could care less about having a 30Mbps connection.

EDIT: A quick check on verizon's webpage and yup, it's exactly what I expected.. It's a 30Mbps/5Mbps connection. For $180/month that is NOT a bad price. 30/5 are incredibly fast speeds. I'd be curious to see where you'll find a faster conection for the $. You could very easily run a small server off of this connection w/ these speeds.
post #196 of 18217 Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 PM

In some areas, 30mbit/5mbit is around $60/month
post #197 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I'm going with the 15 mb per second connection, and really looking forward to it. I currently have Comcast at 6 mb/second but don't really get that cause of high use in my neighborhood degrading my speed. In New Jersey, they are offering FIOS internet at only $29.95 per month for the first year. Great price. Comcast's price is about $45 per month.

HDTVfreak - can you name some locations where the 30 mb/second rate is $60?

ALSO - what model D-LINK router does Verizon use for FIOS, and is it the standard flavor 802.11g or the "better higher speed" version of 802.11g?
post #198 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Davis View Post

I've been a FIOS internet subscriber now for over a year and have been extremely pleased with the quality of service and speed. I've had virtually no interruption of service during that time. I've been blessed to have FIOS TV service now for over 2 months. This service too has been very good. There have been some minor glitches along the way but nothing major. The picture quality is very good in my opinion. I was a 4+ year subscriber to E* with their HD package. I think the pq is probably better than DISH on both the SD and HD channels. I have no regrets of letting DISH go at this time. The channel line-up has been posted several places and the HD offerings are quite adequate. The pricing is very competitive with DISH and other cable offerings. Based on the fact that I have such good internet service and no weather interference with my TV, I'll be staying with FIOS for a long time.

John

Lucky bastard

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #199 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 06:57 AM

Liked: 12
Here's a story on the FIOS service in Fairfax County:
Quote:

Herndon Wired, Ready for Cable TV From Verizon

By Arshad Mohammed
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, November 19, 2005; D01

It took six hours to hook up Jeff Dorman's 50-inch set to Verizon's new TV service but, in the end, he was pleased.

"Drag racing in high-def -- I'm in heaven," the Herndon resident said as he watched Formula One cars zip down a track in crisp color.

Dorman's Herndon basement -- with two computers, two phone lines and a huge TV -- is one of the sites where a new era in telecommunications is dawning. Verizon Communications Inc., a phone company, is unveiling its cable TV service, even as cable companies are marketing Internet telephone technology. The industry's biggest powers are fighting over increasingly wired consumers such as Dorman, dueling to offer them bundled suites of phone, TV and Internet service.

Verizon plans to announce next week that parts of Herndon are fully wired and ready to become the second market in the nation where its Fios TV service is available, offering some Northern Virginia consumers fresh competition and the promise of lower prices.

For Verizon, the cable that it has been laying in Northern Virginia, suburban Maryland and 13 other states is a multibillion-dollar lifeline it hopes will save the company as its traditional telephone business dies off.

But it will be years, if ever, before Verizon turns a profit on its huge investment.

"Verizon is betting its future on Fios," said Banc of America Securities LLC analyst David W. Barden. "The risk . . . is that it is overspending for the reward it will ultimately receive."

It will also be competing with cable companies that have far more TV experience and can add Internet and phone service for less than Verizon is spending on its new network.

Cox Communications Inc., the cable provider in Herndon and most of Fairfax County, dismissed the new service from Verizon.

"What Verizon has been talking about for the past several months is something we have been doing now for well over a year," Cox spokesman Alexander N. Horwitz said. "We believe that we offer a video, voice and data solution that has proven quite popular with consumers in Fairfax County. . . . Verizon is simply playing catch-up."

For Dorman, the single, slender fiber-optic cable that now brings him TV, phone and Internet service is a way to cut his bills by getting all three from one company.

Dorman and his wife, Vicky, expect to buy the services -- which now run them about $260 dollars a month -- for $151.85 plus an estimated $12.30 in taxes, fees and surcharges. They don't know the exact cost, because Verizon has not given them a detailed estimate and they have not gotten their first bill.

"For me it's all about money. I'm not the technical one, but I pay the bills," said Vicky Dorman.

By ordering faster Internet service (up to 30 megabits per second), the family may also finally end conflicts over who is doing what online.

Their current 1.5-megabit-per-second service could not carry Jeff's Internet music trading, the children's Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft online gaming, and Vicky's Web surfing without kicking somebody off.

"I can't count the number of fights I had with my brother," said the Dormans' daughter Stephanie, 21. "It created trauma all around."

Verizon, which first introduced Fios TV in Keller, Tex., two months ago, plans to charge $39.95 for its flagship offer of more than 175 music and video channels. It will charge $12.95 for a basic package of 15 to 39 local broadcast and community channels and $32.95 for a bilingual package of nearly 140 channels.

Cox charges $41.99 for its comparable "expanded basic" service, which has 86 channels; $17.99 for its basic package of 41 channels; and $30.44 for a bilingual Spanish and English service with 31 TV channels 46 music channels.

Verizon has won TV franchises from the town of Herndon, the city of Fairfax and Fairfax County. It is in talks with other municipalities and has begun laying fiber in Anne Arundel, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, Arlington and Loudoun counties.

It is an expensive business with many pitfalls.

When Verizon workers arrived on Tuesday to connect the fiber-optic wire to the Dormans' home, they accidentally cut through their own old copper telephone lines. While they were waiting for that to be repaired, they dug another hole and sliced Dorman's underground sprinkler system.

On Thursday, two technicians began hooking up the "triple play" of voice, phone and Internet service. More than four hours later, they were nearly done but the picture on Dorman's prized 50-inch Sony had a black border around it.

It took close to an hour to figure out the problem -- requiring Dorman to get down on his knees to reconnect some wires technicians had plugged in wrong.

Customers in Keller, Tex., said the company's workers had lavished time and attention on them.

"They have done it right. You can see that they must have horrendous installation capital tied up in this deal," said John L. Baker, an American Airlines pilot who recently got Fios TV service.

Baker, and others, said he worried Verizon may increase prices.

"That is going to be the acid test," he said. "You wonder -- are they just pricing the project just enough to get everybody on board and then . . . they start raising prices 5 percent a year and start recovering the tremendous investment they have made?"

Marilyn H. O'Connell, a Verizon senior vice president, said that was not the company's intention, noting that it faces competition from cable and satellite services.

"That's not my grand plan here, to get you in and then creep you up," she said, saying the company was underpricing its competitors to get customers to switch.

"You have got to give customers a reason to move and you can't take advantage of that when you do," she said. "And by the way, they will have an opportunity to go to the competitor -- it won't be like we'll be the only game in town."

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

post #200 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think one of the most telling things about the state of HD is the fact that this article never mentions it anywhere in the entire story! The "50 inch prize TV" is clearly an HD TV. They never once mention HD, and the pricing structure includes neither a price for HD or what HD is available. It is a sobering thought that as 2006 rolls around, no one but the people like us at this forum seems to really care about it.

SMK
post #201 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also, since Verizon appears to be going with standard cable STBs and other delivery hardware, the article--and other sources--suggest there are no firm plans to take advantage of fiber optic's nearly unlimited bandwidth compared to coaxial cable--with the right hardware. With cable/OTA/DBS customers complaining about picture breakup or fuzzy images from multicasting, reformatting (D*'s HDLite), and over-stuffed spectrum, all-fiber delivery has huge potential advantages. Instead of squeezing downlinked ~45-Mbps signals from program sources to <19 Mbps for typical cable delivery, the full 45-Mbps could be delivered to Verizon subscribers. While the boosted fidelity might not be noticed on typical displays now, suspect it could be seen with the growing crop of large-screen 1080p displays.

NHK in Japan recently demonstrated, experimentally, how optical fiber wavelength multiplexing (combining different light 'colors') can far surpass other delivery technologies. For their 7680 x 4320 Super Hi-Vision video system, outlined in earlier reports , NHK transmitted non-compressed Hi-Vision signals divided into 16 wavelengths. The broadcast-type signal totaled 24 Gbps (billion) versus typical cable HDTV of <19 Mbps (million bits per second). A ~19-Mbps HD signal, uncompressed, is <1.2 Gbps ( video payload ), although the great compression automatically filters away much video detail. (As a Verizon customer I've signed up for FIOS, but not holding my breath awaiting access in Manhattan.)-- John
post #202 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Drag racing in high-def -- I'm in heaven," the Herndon resident said as he watched Formula One cars zip down a track in crisp color.

Formula has nothing to do with Drag Racing. Ahh, the Wash Post. This make as much sense as a Hockey player scoring a touch down, or a basketball player getting a triple.

post #203 of 18217 Old 11-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, that's a good article. This at least gives hope that the Verizon TV service will be available very soon to the Northern Va. area. We've had Fios now for a little while, and I can't wait to ditch directv and get fios tv. The price will come out to being about the same, but I can expect much better PQ and plenty of hd channels. Although OTA HD programming is nice since it's free, unless you have a good roof antenna I find myself having to adjust the indoor antenna at times, and little break ups here and there can be annoying. W/ hd locals over fiber this will be a non-issue! So verizon has started tv service for people in herndon?
post #204 of 18217 Old 11-20-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

ALSO - what model D-LINK router does Verizon use for FIOS, and is it the standard flavor 802.11g or the "better higher speed" version of 802.11g?

I have the D-Link Wireless DI-624!
post #205 of 18217 Old 11-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

Thanks. I'm going with the 15 mb per second connection, and really looking forward to it. I currently have Comcast at 6 mb/second but don't really get that cause of high use in my neighborhood degrading my speed. In New Jersey, they are offering FIOS internet at only $29.95 per month for the first year. Great price. Comcast's price is about $45 per month.

HDTVfreak - can you name some locations where the 30 mb/second rate is $60?

go to www.dslreports.com they have a FIOS forum, I'm not sure of all the locations. Many good info there
post #206 of 18217 Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Verizon Launching 2nd FiOS System

By John Eggerton Broadcasting & Cable

Washington, or at least one of its more prominent suburbs, can start watching telco TV this week.

Verizon, the most agressive telco video provider to date, is launching its second system this week, in the town of Herndon, Va., having secured a franchise to overbuild the market last July. Cox has the cable franchise there.

Washington will soon get more FiOS. Verizon struck an other franchise agreement last month with Fairifax County, the D.C. suburb that surrounds the separately incorporated Herndon.

Verizon is working to secure franchises in more than 200 other Virginia municipalities, but is is also hoping to get some regulatory relief in the form of legislation that would establish a state or nationwide franchising scheme, or that might do away with franchises entirely.

Telcos argue that not having to seek individual franchises will allow it to more quickly provide more competition in the multichannel video market, one of the Bush administration's, the FCC's and Congress's stated priorities.

Cable argues that if the franchising process is to be streamlined or short-cut, the same advantages should apply to cable.

Verizon's FiOS TV debuted in Keller, Tex., Sept. 22. Verizon. Texas' Public Utility Commission last month approved that state's first statewide franchise for telco video service. Verizon had filed for franchises in 21 communities under the state's new franchise law, the first of its kind in the country.
post #207 of 18217 Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(from today's Wall Street Journal)

AT&T executives saytechnology will let it offer a new form of television with 1,000 or more channels available to consumers within the next 18 months. The company also plans to beam TV content to cellphones; offer targeted advertising on TV, much like Google offers on the Internet; and eventually provide thousands of programs and movies on demand
post #208 of 18217 Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 AM

New to this thread...

Regarding the original question, here's my take.

I am currently a DirecTV subscriber. I have not gone HD with them because:
-DVR functionality is very high on my priority list, more than HD.
-the high cost of upgrading to the HD-DVR when it initially came out.
-the large number of problems reported with their HD-DVR
-the announcements that then followed regarding the change to MPEG-4 & the need to swap out equipment, (at some cost probably), when that occurs.
-the announcement that Tivo would no longer be the user interface for the DVR.

That said, if Verizon does not get FIOS-TV to my area by the time that DirecTV gets their act together, I will certainly stay with DirecTV.

So I guess my answer is:
Whomever gets it together first will get my business.
Though I must say I'm hoping it will be Verizon and will go with them in the event of a 'tie'.
post #209 of 18217 Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Showdown on Long Island
November 23, 2005 8:11 AM PST
Verizon Communications and Cablevision are duking it out on Long Island, NY.

According to the Wall Street Journal and Business Week, which each published stories on Wednesday detailing the ongoing brawl in Massapequa Park, NY, things are getting pretty nasty.

It seems the companies are butting heads over Verizon's attempts to get video franchises in areas where Cablevision offers its service. According to the articles, Cablevision has launched a major smear campaign complete with newspaper advertisements and ant-Verizon flyers distributed throughout the town. The articles also say Cablevision has been throwing its weight around by bullying local officials, including the mayor. Cablevision has also filed a lawsuit against the city, which has made its way to the New York state Supreme Court.

Verizon is offering its new TV service to customers in areas where it has already built its new Fios fiber network. Verizon is spending billions of dollars to build the network that extends fiber directly into people's homes, giving them almost unlimited bandwidth capacity. Cablevision and other cable operators have accused Verizon of only providing the new Fios services in wealthy areas, ignoring low-income neighborhoods. Verizon has repeatedly denied these claims.

Long Island, isn't the only place where cable companies are putting up a fight. Battles are also heating up in Northern Virginia, where Verizon recently began offering Fios TV service.

http://news.com.com/2061-10785_3-5969069.html

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #210 of 18217 Old 11-24-2005, 09:34 PM

is there a recent poll or study done somewhere that I can look at proving that people actually watch public access channels. I may be way off but in my personal experience I have never known anyone to watch public access content. The only thing I could ever imagine watching it for would be if they broadcast the local city hall meetings but again I know no one interested in their local politics and in my guide data it simply says "public access" so I would never have any idea when such a broadcast would be on.

Am I way off base or do people agree that getting public access studios setup for free by the cable company isn't something residents really care about?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page