Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #2071 of 18403 Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 133
finetunes: my hdtivo is d* only. i also have a s2 tivo (SD) and it works with the fios box fine, using the IR blaster.

haven't done much a/b comparison yet. my initial impression is hd is better, but sd is worse. But that is probably only b/c the hdtivo box upscales 480i to 1080i and 480i is really bad on my set since I've never bothered to adjust it because I never watch it. everything I watch is either upconverted dvd / sd or hd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The big question with Fios is WHEN will you be able to get this in your house. Unfortunately at the high cost of Fiber Optic wiring and the slow speed that Verizon is known to upgrade their any new endeaver, it might be some time.
Even big cities such as New York City, only have this in Far and FEW Places. I was surprised that a borough of New York (STATEN ISLAND) had this in more places than New York City (Manhattan itself).
In Manhattan, there are many Huge buildings with thousands of apartments and you would think that these multiple dwellings would be the incentive for Verizon. Yet COST has put a brake on the upgrade of Fios for now anyway.

Hopefully Verizon gets it act together and puts some speed on.
post #2073 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anybody know why the Wizards games get blacked out with other programming on Comcast Sports Net on the Virginia Beach system? Anytime there is a game on they go to other programming.
post #2074 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post

Update concerning SNY in HD in NJ from Sportsnet.
Below is their response to my e-mail (I bolded the bottom line answer):

Thank you for your inquiry regarding SportsNet New York. It is up to each cable and satellite provider to allocate channel space for viewers to see SNY in HD. Currently, not all service providers have allocated this space, but we are encouraging them to do so because SNY has extensive HD programming including all Mets home games. In addition, SportsNite, a comprehensive re-cap of all New York sports is shot in HD from SNY's state-of-the-art street level studio in the heart of Manhattan every night at 6pm, 10pm and 1am.

Verizon is working towards launching SNY in HD (channel 831) on their NJ systems over the next few months.

Thanks again for your email.

SportsNet New York

Good news, I guess. As long as "over the next few months" means by April 9, the first home game.
post #2075 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 AM

Arrghhh ... well they laid the cable months ago in my Columbia, Maryland neighborhood and I finally got a brochure in the door about hooking it up. Guess what? NO FIBER OPTIC TV!!!! They are offering me phone, internet and DIRECTV! I called them and they said that sometimes it takes longer to get the TV part worked out with the local authorities.

Anybody have similar experiences in the DC/Colubia Md area?
post #2076 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I have the QIP6416-2 with a black remote. it has no setup button. am I screwed as far as the swap and 30 sec skip go? I have no other boxes / remotes from, say, comcast. I'm going to miss my hdtivo.

anyway, is there a way to make it not switch mode when you go from an SD <-> HD channel. it's really annoying, and 480i is truly ugly on my set. can't the box upconv 480i to 1080i?

The 30 second skip is there, but you may have to get a programmable remote to access it. It was easy to add with my Logitech harmony remote once I figured out the labeling for it. I can swap channels by directly entering the channel number for other channel being recorded when 2 channels are being recorded at the same time. If you don't remember the number, you can press menu, look at the recording list and get the information that way. Once you have jumped to the 2nd recording channel, the previous button should work to swap.

As for setting up the Motorola output, see http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup.
post #2077 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The swap function does not work on the FiOS Motorola DVR. I kept my old Comcast remote and the 30 second skip works great but not the swap function.

Louder is NOT better!
post #2078 of 18403 Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 133
update: fixed the mode output so it's constant 1080i now. HD PQ is very good. I saw Apocalypse Now Redux last night, and it looked close to the HDDVD titles I've seen. I think if you have a 1080p display, you'll see even more improvement. (I think my set can only resolve about 1200x900 anyway. )

SD PQ is MUCH better. For ex, TNT SD on D* is really horrible, but on F* it's comparable to TNTTHD (for SD shows, obviously). Actually, it's arguably better since you have the choice to not stretch. In fact, the SD channels look close to OTA digital channels. Some channels are duplicates. The lower numbered ones I assume are analog. They look just as good to me as the digital (take that, Jessica Simpson).

I can't see any difference b/t local HD and OTA.

Now, for bad looking PQ, see the music channels

In short, you can't go wrong PQ wise.

As for the DVR vs the d* hdtivo, I miss the 30sec skip, the tivo sound feedback when you click a button, the smooth responsiveness of the uncluttered remote (the tivo UI team should get an award!!), 250gb vs 160gb HD. On the positive side, the guide scrolls so much faster, channel changing is faster, setting up a recording or season pass is nearly instantaneous, guide data go for like 2 weeks, and it doesn't take 5 mins to come back from a power loss.

now if they add food and hdtv hd and give me an option to add an ext. drive, I'll be one thoroughly happy camper. oh and lower the price too or give me some freebies for being an early adopter
post #2079 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 AM

I've got a question about the technical aspect of hooking up FiOS. Currently I have DirecTV and my town's local cable company (for HD & VOD). Both services run to a structured media panel in the basement and then I have RG6 cable running from the panel to all the rooms in the house.

I know FiOS uses the coaxial in the house, but do they need to run a direct line from the box they install on the house to each room that will get the service or can they run it to my panel and then connect to the individual cables running to each room?

It will be awhile before the service will even be available in my town (Braintree, MA), if at all, as they are just in the licensing stage with the town. Where the town's own electric company runs the cable service, I hope they don't deny FiOS just to protect the town's coffers.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #2080 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

update: fixed the mode output so it's constant 1080i now. HD PQ is very good. I saw Apocalypse Now Redux last night, and it looked close to the HDDVD titles I've seen. I think if you have a 1080p display, you'll see even more improvement. (I think my set can only resolve about 1200x900 anyway. )

SD PQ is MUCH better. For ex, TNT SD on D* is really horrible, but on F* it's comparable to TNTTHD (for SD shows, obviously). Actually, it's arguably better since you have the choice to not stretch. In fact, the SD channels look close to OTA digital channels. Some channels are duplicates. The lower numbered ones I assume are analog. They look just as good to me as the digital (take that, Jessica Simpson).

I can't see any difference b/t local HD and OTA.

Now, for bad looking PQ, see the music channels

In short, you can't go wrong PQ wise.

As for the DVR vs the d* hdtivo, I miss the 30sec skip, the tivo sound feedback when you click a button, the smooth responsiveness of the uncluttered remote (the tivo UI team should get an award!!), 250gb vs 160gb HD. On the positive side, the guide scrolls so much faster, channel changing is faster, setting up a recording or season pass is nearly instantaneous, guide data go for like 2 weeks, and it doesn't take 5 mins to come back from a power loss.

now if they add food and hdtv hd and give me an option to add an ext. drive, I'll be one thoroughly happy camper. oh and lower the price too or give me some freebies for being an early adopter

HGTV HD, History HD, Food HD, A&E HD, Sleuth HD, and Lifetime Movies HD are all on the way.

does anybody know if MSG HD is coming in NY?

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
post #2081 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman4 View Post

The big question with Fios is WHEN will you be able to get this in your house. Unfortunately at the high cost of Fiber Optic wiring and the slow speed that Verizon is known to upgrade their any new endeaver, it might be some time.
Even big cities such as New York City, only have this in Far and FEW Places. I was surprised that a borough of New York (STATEN ISLAND) had this in more places than New York City (Manhattan itself).
In Manhattan, there are many Huge buildings with thousands of apartments and you would think that these multiple dwellings would be the incentive for Verizon. Yet COST has put a brake on the upgrade of Fios for now anyway.

Hopefully Verizon gets it act together and puts some speed on.

It isn't verizon that is slowing down the process. It's the slow franchise process the government has in place. verizon has to go town by town to get approval, unless you are in california, texas and NJ, they have state frachises. In NY, we have to go town by town, and the process gets bogged down for approvals.

post #2082 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinma View Post

I've got a question about the technical aspect of hooking up FiOS. Currently I have DirecTV and my town's local cable company (for HD & VOD). Both services run to a structured media panel in the basement and then I have RG6 cable running from the panel to all the rooms in the house.

I know FiOS uses the coaxial in the house, but do they need to run a direct line from the box they install on the house to each room that will get the service or can they run it to my panel and then connect to the individual cables running to each room?

It will be awhile before the service will even be available in my town (Braintree, MA), if at all, as they are just in the licensing stage with the town. Where the town's own electric company runs the cable service, I hope they don't deny FiOS just to protect the town's coffers.

I know in Norwood they are having problems but Verizon has already run the cable but like you they have their own cable as well.
post #2083 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is VZ planning to get more international channels? Any news on it?
post #2084 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

Is VZ planning to get more international channels? Any news on it?

I only know of the African Channel and ImaginAsian and shop asia and bbc world

post #2085 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks. guess it shall take them time to get some mainstream Asian (Indian) channels since best are taken by Dish Network or DirecTV. Wonder if they shall ever be able to get them to VZ.
post #2086 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvegas1 View Post

Arrghhh ... well they laid the cable months ago in my Columbia, Maryland neighborhood and I finally got a brochure in the door about hooking it up. Guess what? NO FIBER OPTIC TV!!!! They are offering me phone, internet and DIRECTV! I called them and they said that sometimes it takes longer to get the TV part worked out with the local authorities.

Most likely your Central Office has not been setup for the TV part of Fios.
post #2087 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post

Most likely your Central Office has not been setup for the TV part of Fios.

yeah, the data and voice is good to go, but they are awaiting the government franchise. once the franchise is ready, the equipment will be ready too

post #2088 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Mikey, how about INHD and VSGLF?

Louder is NOT better!
post #2089 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

HGTV HD, History HD, Food HD, A&E HD, Sleuth HD, and Lifetime Movies HD are all on the way.

does anybody know if MSG HD is coming in NY?

Any time frame on these new HD channels?
post #2090 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

that I don't know, sorry

post #2091 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

Ricky-
We're thinking we may hear some news after Texas is realigned on March 6th. Then, all states will have the same premier lineup.

I was told we'd see new HD in the 1st quarter - so March would still qualify.
post #2092 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

Mikey, how about INHD and VSGLF?

Haven't heard anything about those? What do they stand for?

post #2093 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

Haven't heard anything about those? What do they stand for?

INHD is a station that loops HD content, I think it is a partnership with cable companies, could be wrong on that one though. VSGLF is a combo Versus and Golf Channel HD station.
post #2094 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

INHD is a station that loops HD content, I think it is a partnership with cable companies, could be wrong on that one though. VSGLF is a combo Versus and Golf Channel HD station.

Both of those channels are owned by the cable companies, so I would not expect to see them anytime soon.
post #2095 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

oh, VS HD would bw sweet

post #2096 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinma View Post

Verizon can use the existing RG6 cable if they can locate and access each of the signal splitters installed along the lines. They may replace the splitters with new ones and replace the connectors if needed. If for some reason they cannot use the existing cable, then they would have to install new cable. This would be in a "tree branch" configuration with splitters, similar to cable TV installations. Extra charges may be involved if you want them to install cable in the walls.

There is a forum for this topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=621323 (Verizon FiOS Installation & Hardware - Master Topic!)
post #2097 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin_R6 View Post

Both of those channels are owned by the cable companies, so I would not expect to see them anytime soon.

As far as VS/Golf, yes, they are both owned by Comcast, but they are offering the HD channel FREE to any provider carrying the two stations, which FIOS already is.

So it should not be an issue for FIOS to gain carriage of this station. (well, at least you'd think!)
post #2098 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

So VZ does not announce what channels they'll be launching soon?
post #2099 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM

For those of you who have gone through the channel moves, what does this do with your DVR series recording schedules? Will I need to reset everything or will it automagically auto correct?
post #2100 of 18403 Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvegas1 View Post

i live in Ellicott City, just off Centennial Lane, not in Columbia though, but close. i have FiOS TV, Internet and telephone. my suspicion is that the TV part is not far behind. i work with people that live in Columbia and they have said that VZ is offering TV to their neighborhoods. i suspect TV for your neighborhood will follow soon.

to other posters' concerns about the lack of a 30-sec skip feature on the remote. I bought a Radio Shack Model 15-2200 remote on sale for $4. it has a 30-sec skip button for the DVR.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page