Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 418 Old 02-22-2007, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthstooge View Post

You make it sound like every episode has a political/war theme/plot. It's just one episode and I thought it was very compelling and timely.

The "Lessons Learned" episode also dealt with a somewhat political theme. Nevertheless, I'm in agreement with you that I find these stories to be compelling and relevant. I like it when shows tackle issues of 'moral and cultural significance.' Three of the best episodes this season have been ones addressing such issues:
Lessons Learned - prisoner interrogation/torture
Profiler Profiled - sexual abuse
Distress - post traumatic stress disorder

They've never dealt with these in a heavyhanded way though. Rather, the writers have been quite sensitive to the complexities of the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 418 Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Good episode! I'm not quite sure what to make of Reed. Is he hooked on drugs or not? We're supposed to believe he is (or might be), but never do we see him take anything. His behaviour is maybe because he is getting burned out or just doesnt have confidence in himself anymore. I do love these sub-plots.

How 'bout that Emily

nc
post #93 of 418 Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Good episode! I'm not quite sure what to make of Reed. Is he hooked on drugs or not? We're supposed to believe he is (or might be), but never do we see him take anything. His behaviour is maybe because he is getting burned out or just doesnt have confidence in himself anymore. I do love these sub-plots.

How 'bout that Emily

nc

He was in the bathroom a few eps back and about to take some drugs, when he got interrupted. I have a feeling he has been taking them, he looks strung out.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #94 of 418 Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Last night's episode waas delightfuily disturbing! Great story!

I really don't xcare for Emily at all. Bring the brunette back.

nc
post #95 of 418 Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=nashvillecat]Last night's episode waas delightfuily disturbing! Great story!

Didn't it remind anyone of "Hostel"?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #96 of 418 Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Yes, and even "Saw". While I realize the show is fiction, the idea that 63 people have been murdered in one city by a serial killer is a bit of a stretch, it's as if there going for higher and higher body counts, and with this episode there was really no insight to the killer.

With the "Frank" storyline coming back next it looks to be a much better episode, IMO anyway.
post #97 of 418 Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought this episode was great just like last week's. I think this is one of the best shows on tv. and the blond really helps out as well.
post #98 of 418 Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Hmm, I was wondering what happened to this episode until I read a description of it, now I understand why they didn't show it.

46. 3- 1 221 Doubt (originally episode 2-21)

Description:
The team investigates a serial killer who is targeting women at a small midwestern college. The BAU shuts down the campus, creates a detailed profile of the unsub, and arrests a suspect. However, the team members begin to have doubts about themselves when the killings on campus continue.
post #99 of 418 Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Only a few hours....

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #100 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

...perhaps my imagination, or some setting I've got...

Did anyone else notice the camera work was a bit odd? I actually started getting dizzy as the canmera did allot of moving around and switching between characters and sets -- more so than usual.

curious...

nc
post #101 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM

I thought it was a poor episode. I really like the show when I first saw it in the previews. But it seems like every episode is the same and I'm being driven away from the show.

In real life, does a serial killer strike so often? I thought most serial killers waited months between kills. In the show, it's always a couple of days.
post #102 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Someone told me Gideon is leaving after next weeks episode. Is that true?
post #103 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

Yes, Joe Mantegna is stepping into the role/position Patinkin has been playing.
post #104 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM
wjg
Advanced Member

Yes , he is leaving the show. He said the proverbial " artistic differences " with the writers and producers was the reason. It is a shame. I like everything that he has been in but he doesn't seem to stay in one place very long.
post #105 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Not sticking with any gig for very long before moving on has been a longstanding pattern of Patinkin's. I will miss him because he is a terrific actor. Still, I look forward to Joe Mantegna's coming onboard; he should be a worthy replacement for Mantegna.

I like the show and have found its exploration of dark subject matter to be unusually effective for a TV series. I hope the writers don't give up on doing that sort of thing after Mantegna takes the reins.
post #106 of 418 Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Not sticking with any gig for very long before moving on has been a longstanding pattern of Patinkin's. I will miss him because he is a terrific actor.

Patinkin is becoming the Ted McGinley of TV dramas--a sure sign your show is about to jump the shark is when he signs on as a main character.

-Matt
post #107 of 418 Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_slam View Post

I thought it was a poor episode. I really like the show when I first saw it in the previews. But it seems like every episode is the same and I'm being driven away from the show.

In real life, does a serial killer strike so often? I thought most serial killers waited months between kills. In the show, it's always a couple of days.

I agree 100% with all of your points. I really enjoyed the first season, but the show has been in a slow death spiral ever since. It has turned into a ridiculous, predictable clone of CSI:Miami. Every show is nearly identical, the only things that change from week to week are the details of the crime. The crimes are solved absurdly fast, usually without the "team" even having to check into their hotel rooms. The team members take turns each week providing the key brilliant insight that creates a profile so perfect that the inevitable computer search spits out a single suspect, who turns out to be the unsub. How about throwing in just a bit of reality once in a while? I'm sure hunting a serial killer is grueling work in real life. Potential suspect lists from profiles contain dozens of names, not 2 or 3. The FBI agents spend weeks and weeks interviewing and re-interviewing suspects and witnesses, not half a day. And do all of the investigations have to be all wrapped up in a long weekend? Can we see a case that just hits a dead end and has to be put on a back burner for a few months? I'm sure the real BAU has dozens of active unsolved cases open at any given time. Let's see more of the grunt work the agents have to do back in DC to develop new leads on the open cases. Let's see them actually make a mistake or two, where they follow a lead that doesn't pan out and they are forced to start all over again at square one. In short, stop being so predictable. Give the viewers a bit of credit, not everyone needs or wants the instant gratification of having every case solved in 43 minutes every week. It would be a much more interesting show if the unsub's capture was actually in doubt from week to week, rather than the current boring, predictable show they trot out every week now.
post #108 of 418 Old 09-29-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Just remember, if you don't like a show, you can always turn the channel.

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #109 of 418 Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

Off to find a 'six fingered man' I suppose...

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #110 of 418 Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAR2002 View Post

Just remember, if you don't like a show, you can always turn the channel.

My wife loves the show, so I really can't.

My disappointment with the show is the predictability. I first saw the show when it aired after the Super Bowl. I thought it was cool and original. Not just another crime drama. But one with a twist (psychological profiling). But that has become played out quickly.

CSI: LV is basically the same situation. You can only tell the same story so many times. Yet, despite some missteps (like this season's premier), they've been able to maintain my interest with some subtle additions throughout the 8 seasons of the show. I'd hope that Criminal Minds is able to adapt because the concept really is interesting.
post #111 of 418 Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 PM

I think I'm done. The show's too formulaic for me these days and I really like Mandy Patinkin. We've pretty much already seen everything they're gonna write. Mandy made it riveting, If he's not there, I'm not there.
post #112 of 418 Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

I love the characters on this show, but I think the writing has gone a little awry. How can Emily and hadge just come back to the team without approval? Isn't this the Feds we're dealing with here? It dos seem lkke the show is in a bit of a flux. When Joe Montegne come on board? I personally think he is an awesome fit for this team. I did appreciate the writers putting a little "home" or "personal" life into it. Mr. Stoic's (name eludes me right now) wife being pissed at him and he struggling with the job and the wife and home stuff - refreshing.

Let's get this show going! Bring on Joe Mantana!

nc
post #113 of 418 Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I love this show and have enjoyed it again so far this year.
post #114 of 418 Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

I agree 100% with all of your points. I really enjoyed the first season, but the show has been in a slow death spiral ever since. It has turned into a ridiculous, predictable clone of CSI:Miami. Every show is nearly identical, the only things that change from week to week are the details of the crime. The crimes are solved absurdly fast, usually without the "team" even having to check into their hotel rooms. The team members take turns each week providing the key brilliant insight that creates a profile so perfect that the inevitable computer search spits out a single suspect, who turns out to be the unsub. How about throwing in just a bit of reality once in a while? I'm sure hunting a serial killer is grueling work in real life. Potential suspect lists from profiles contain dozens of names, not 2 or 3. The FBI agents spend weeks and weeks interviewing and re-interviewing suspects and witnesses, not half a day. And do all of the investigations have to be all wrapped up in a long weekend? Can we see a case that just hits a dead end and has to be put on a back burner for a few months? I'm sure the real BAU has dozens of active unsolved cases open at any given time. Let's see more of the grunt work the agents have to do back in DC to develop new leads on the open cases. Let's see them actually make a mistake or two, where they follow a lead that doesn't pan out and they are forced to start all over again at square one. In short, stop being so predictable. Give the viewers a bit of credit, not everyone needs or wants the instant gratification of having every case solved in 43 minutes every week. It would be a much more interesting show if the unsub's capture was actually in doubt from week to week, rather than the current boring, predictable show they trot out every week now.

There was a show kind of like what you describe. It left the veiwer asking questions every week. Nothing easily handled in one episode. Had suspense. Unfortunately it was cancelled after 5 episodes? That show was called, "Kidnapped". Everybody wants instant gratification nowadays. Their ADD demands it.
post #115 of 418 Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Anothere stirring epuisode, huh guys? Really like this show and all its characters.

Hey JJ, can ya wear that skirt any tighter?

nc
post #116 of 418 Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This episode was really the first IMO without Jason Gideon (Mandy Patinkin) and I think they dealing with the loss very both in terms of story and the continuing arc/arcs in the plots. This plot was very good in this episode, and was very entertaining, some crime shows fight to keep me entertained with high techness, but this show has very good acting and writing as this episode showed..... I think this show is one of the best crime dramas on tv right now!!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #117 of 418 Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

I saw the new episode least not.....The PQ was dreadful, Faces were half fuzzy and half clear. It would randomly become fuzzy a lot and go away and then come back.

It is the show too cause my friend said the same thing.
post #118 of 418 Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareRec0n View Post

I saw the new episode least not.....The PQ was dreadful, Faces were half fuzzy and half clear. It would randomly become fuzzy a lot and go away and then come back.

It is the show too cause my friend said the same thing.

Weird cause I watched it rendered to 720P and it looked great on a 32inch, a little "softer" then say CSI, but still nothing like Studio 60 or Friday Night Lights... Maybe you and your friends feed has been compressed more then mine....

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #119 of 418 Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The wifey and I were very sad that Mandy left the show - he was one of the reasons we were attracted to it in the first place! The "write out" was done perfectly - thoughtful and in line with the characters psychology.

Joe Mantegna (aka, Fat Tony ) is a terrific actor, so I'm at least going to give it a try as the other characters are also (still) terrific and the writing is generally very good.

We haven't watched this weeks yet - so we're working without Mandy AND no Joe M as of yet?

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #120 of 418 Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DT] View Post

Joe Mantegna (aka, Fat Tony ) is a terrific actor, so I'm at least going to give it a try as the other characters are also (still) terrific and the writing is generally very good.

We haven't watched this weeks yet - so we're working without Mandy AND no Joe M as of yet?

Joe also starred in " Joan of Arcadia" and the forgotten "First Monday". All of these tv characters were on the other side of the law compared to "Fat Tony".

My favorite Joe spot, other than the "Simpsons", was the bad bumbling comic character Eddie in "Baby's Day Out" .
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page