AVS Forum banner

Criminal Minds on CBS

51K views 542 replies 125 participants last post by  blade005 
#1 ·
Anyone watching this show? I'm liking it so far and the picture quality is great. Thoughts?

#3 ·
The critics generally savaged it in thbe Fall Previews, but I have found it to be consistently entertaining.

And despite its time slot (against Lost) it has been building a decent audience:

(More from Marc Berman's Thursday, October 20, 2005 Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com)

Yes, Dear led into the just full season-renewed Criminal Minds with a comfortable third-place 8.8/12 in the overnights, 12.44 million viewers and a 3.8/ 9 among adults 18-49 at 9 p.m. Considering Criminal Minds faces Lost, that is impressive

#4 ·
Criminal Minds ratings history

(updated in post #69)

#7 ·
Swami,

That is why I also record the analog channel of my must see shows on on of my Panny DVD recorders with HDD's just in case of a glitch on my DCT6412. Fortunately last night my 6412 caugt both shows in their entirety.

I really enjoyed the Crimnial minds episode (went home for lunch and watched it), something about hot twin blondes made the show all that much better.

#9 ·
It amazes me that it keeps growing against "Lost".

I never would have believed it.

But in this case the CBS execs made a great move: starting it behind CSI's season premiere on Thursday night to get it sampled.

Had they just begun it against "Lost" it probably never could have survived.

#10 ·
This show rocks! I watched it for the first time last night, and it smokes! Literally lol.

Anyone else like it?

Who does the music for that show? The music last night was very cerebral...would love to know who wrote that stuff!

nc

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/0

Threshold was cancelled.

...so it REALLY doesn't bode well for Threshold. Is that what you're trying to say?

I watched last night for the first time. I liked it too. The "shotgun" scenes were pretty cool. I somehow doubt my wife will let me watch this instead of LOST. For some reason, I just can't get into any J.J. Abrams shows. They all seem VERY sneeky to me. Like, how can a show continue to ask questions, ut never give answers. Alias did it. Now LOST does it. Weak writting in my opinion, but then again, I don't have J.J. Abrams income either.

#17 ·
This week's season finale used a worn-out producers' trick to leave viewers to stew over the apparent but not certain murder of a team member over the Summer. A shot was fired in the last split-second of the program, without the results being shown. Why insult the audience of what has generally been a dignified and straight-forward show by such a tactic?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker /forum/post/0

Was last night the season ending..I thought they had one one show next week?

It said part 1 of 2 in the guide yesterday. But why werent previews of next weeks show given?

nc

#20 ·
Regarding PQ, here's an extract from a recently posted 'production-insider' article:
Quote:
Tellefsen says that CBS' "Criminal Minds" and "CSI: Miami" are being finished in HD SR and that ABC's "What About Brian" was shot with Panavision's Genesis camera and switched to HD SR in post.

HD SR refers to Sony's newer, higher-PQ HDCAM-SR tape machines, which CBS requires for final delivered tapes. That doesn't indicate what production hardware preceded HD SR, though, as noted in this follow-on post . Perhaps someone has the specifics. How much PQ can vary on home screens with newer production hardware, when everything must be compressed to

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD /forum/post/0

This week's season finale used a worn-out producers' trick to leave viewers to stew over the apparent but not certain murder of a team member over the Summer. A shot was fired in the last split-second of the program, without the results being shown. Why insult the audience of what has generally been a dignified and straight-forward show by such a tactic?

I picked up on this show about midway through the season and really enjoy it. If what you say is correct then I would agree with the characterization "worn-out producer's trick". However, I wasn't even aware it was a multi-parter: it sort of looked that way during the show but when I checked the D* program guide it didn't say "Part 1", so I was taken aback at the end. I'll try and check and see if there is another part to it this season; I was sort of hoping, as you indicated, that the writing on this show would be a bit above the "24" type cliffhanger-non-cliffhanger.

=NLK=

#23 ·
Whenever a cast member of a show like this decides to leave, a sudden and spectacular death for the character is often staged. Perhaps this actress is going to pursue greener pastures elsewhere, just the way it happened on "NCIS" last year. I got some hints that Mandy Patinkin might be moving on, as well. His character was very disturbed and depressed that his last refuge from the gruesome realities of his job, at his remote cabin, had been discovered and violated. But, this issue wasn't developed further and the season ended without any more references to it. The final scene of the show saved the writers from having to concoct anything substantial and gave them a multitude of options to pursue over the Summer for the start of next season. Maybe, they had just reached the budgetary limit for the season and were told to cut it off cold. After all, they can't go to Congress and beg for more money to fight the bad guys.