post #361 of 2022 Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

After I posted I saw several cities where it is available. Just another case of us residents of the Valley of the Sun getting things last from Cox.

Yeah, it really sucks to be too big.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2022 Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchias1 View Post

i'm in middle georgia and right there with you w/ the lacking HD on cox. we just got TBS HD about a month ago (which is a complete waste of an HD channel).

I know we complain a lot here in Phoenix, but I just took a look at your HD lineup and I'm thankful I'm here.

I gave up emailing awhile ago until I hear Cox has a national agreemnt for something I really want in HD. So many channels are broadcasting in HD now, but they have virtually no HD content, so I really don't care to have them yet, and TBS-HD is one of those. We are due to get 12 more HD channels in March, so that will help, but I suspect SciFi won't be one of them and that's one I'd really like (for the next BSG season). Hopefully, all Cox markets will actually be up to 80 HD channels by the end of the year and we'll have something else to talk about.

Cheers, Dave
post #363 of 2022 Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
double,
how did you find out that you were supposed to get more in March? i wish i knew when we were supposed to get some more. don't care what, just want more.
post #364 of 2022 Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

mchais1,

Our local Cox website had the date up at one time, but have since removed it in favor of advertising the 80 HD channels by year-end. AFAIK, the 12 are still supposed to come though. They are beginning to roll out OnDemand starting next week, so we shall see how all this really goes. It could be that they are hedging their bets in case something goes wrong with the OnDemand rollout. I guess it will roll out one head-end at a time until complete.

Cheers, Dave
post #365 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 AM

DoubleDAZ, Has OnDemand appeared for you yet? I am just curious because we are still waiting for it here in Santa Barbara, CA as well.

I have hoped for several months now that we would get ANY new HD channels, but I think the last one added was National Geographic.
post #366 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post

DoubleDAZ, Has OnDemand appeared for you yet? I am just curious because we are still waiting for it here in Santa Barbara, CA as well.

I have hoped for several months now that we would get ANY new HD channels, but I think the last one added was National Geographic.

In a word, No. It appears that the much anticipated addition of OnDemand has been delayed, but we won't know for sure until Thursday/Friday when it was supposed to debut in Scottsdale. Someone got an email from Cox (responding to a question about OnDemand) saying the EON upgrade has been delayed, but we don't know yet if the CSR was confused and meant VOD or if the EON delay affects both OnDemand and the new channels we were supposed to get in March. I'll let you know if something turns up this weekend. As usual, getting accurate, concise info from Cox is worse than pulling teeth.

Cheers, Dave
post #367 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM

well i just signed up for Dish Network. Going to change my order to the HD standalone package on Friday once available. Tired of Cox dragging their feet in Middle Georgia. Dish maybe lower quality than Cox, but I calculated I will save $13/month, lose ALL SD channels, get all the channels I watch in HD (lite), and still be able to receive the sports packages (like Center Ice). If anyone else happened to be interested in doing this, I will post my findings once I get everything installed.
post #368 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchias1 View Post

well i just signed up for Dish Network. Going to change my order to the HD standalone package on Friday once available. Tired of Cox dragging their feet in Middle Georgia. Dish maybe lower quality than Cox, but I calculated I will save $13/month, lose ALL SD channels, get all the channels I watch in HD (lite), and still be able to receive the sports packages (like Center Ice). If anyone else happened to be interested in doing this, I will post my findings once I get everything installed.

I'm curious what your experience will be. I used to have Cox in Middle Ga. I wasn't impressed by them. I have Cox Gulfcoast now and it is better than the GA one. We have History Channel HD, TLC HD and the other new ones that just came out. I really don't like how Cox won't tell you what their future plans are. Let us know about the Dish HD package
post #369 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

cerk,

I wish I could have cable with DirecTV channels and Dish's DVR. I expect to have the channels by the end of the year and, if Cox comes through with their Passport-based software by then, that will be a step in the right direction. The next step will be retail DVRs where one can opt for some bells and whistles, especially in the storage capacity arena. I haven't used a Dish DVR, but off-loading content via USB sounds much easier than SATA.

Cheers, Dave
post #370 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

cerk,

I wish I could have cable with DirecTV channels and Dish's DVR. I expect to have the channels by the end of the year and, if Cox comes through with their Passport-based software by then, that will be a step in the right direction. The next step will be retail DVRs where one can opt for some bells and whistles, especially in the storage capacity arena. I haven't used a Dish DVR, but off-loading content via USB sounds much easier than SATA.

passport based? Hmmmmm isnt that what we (at least in New England) have now? When you reboot the DVR is has a "Passport" splash screen.
post #371 of 2022 Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

passport based? Hmmmmm isnt that what we (at least in New England) have now? When you reboot the DVR is has a "Passport" splash screen.

Yes, some cableco's use today's version of Passport that was produced by Aptiv, but Aptiv was bought by Gemstar/TVGuide back in April 2007 and they have been working on a new tru2way (OCAP) version for Cox and Comcast (TWC is converting to their in-house Navigator). Also, since Cox has a license for it (vice just a lease), they willbe able to add to it. I have no idea what the new version will look like or if it will have more functionality than the current Passport. All the press releases say is "Passport-based" and that's why I used the term.

Cheers, Dave
post #372 of 2022 Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, some cableco's use today's version of Passport that was produced by Aptiv, but Aptiv was bought by Gemstar/TVGuide back in April 2007 and they have been working on a new tru2way (OCAP) version for Cox and Comcast (TWC is converting to their in-house Navigator). Also, since Cox has a license for it (vice just a lease), they willbe able to add to it. I have no idea what the new version will look like or if it will have more functionality than the current Passport. All the press releases say is "Passport-based" and that's why I used the term.

Cool .....Ive had a few issues with the current software, but I think thats more related to the Box and not the software. Hopefully they do something special with the software. also, I thought Cox was going to use TiVO??? Did that deal fall through or would this be in addition to the Passport Software.
post #373 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool .....Ive had a few issues with the current software, but I think thats more related to the Box and not the software. Hopefully they do something special with the software. also, I thought Cox was going to use TiVO??? Did that deal fall through or would this be in addition to the Passport Software.

No, that deal did not fall through, but they did scrap plans for a non-tru2way version because the timing was too close and it took too long to finish the Moto port for Comcast. There is no sense in doing that same port for SA and then turn riight around to do a tru2way version. There is a Comcast/Tivo thread here if you want to read about the problems they have run into, etc. It does cost an extra $2.95, I believe, and remember, it uses Comcast's hardware/database, not Tivo's, so some functions are missing, though I don't think they are significant ones.

Also, when I say a new Passport-based version, I don't know if we will first get the current version with a new one to follow later. The press release could have just said Passport, but it went out of it's way to say Passport-based which would lead one to believe it will be a try2way version, hopefully with some enhancements, when we get it later this year. My understanding is that Passport actually already has an update (2.7), but no one seems to be using it. Passport is predominately used by TWC and they are moving to Navigator.

Cheers, Dave
post #374 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

Cox and TiVo made a deal in August 2006 for the deployment of TiVo software on Cox's DVRs:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Cox_...ent/1156441512

I haven't been able to find another definitive word about it since, though.

TiVo announced in August 2007 that Comcast was funding TiVo's development efforts to provide TiVo software to run on Comcast's Scientific Atlanta DVRs:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6473092.html

Cox seems not to be involved in this, though.

There has been speculation that Cisco, who has acquired Scientific Atlanta, was working with TiVo on its development efforts for the SA boxes:

http://www.tivolovers.com/category/d...tific-atlanta/

I have heard that the TiVo's development efforts for the SA boxes is progressing very slowly and that we won't see TiVo software on SA DVRs until 2009, if then.

You may have seen that the rollout of the TiVo software onto Comcast's Motorola boxes in New England has been a mess. The software is, apparently, unacceptably buggy, although the rollout came many months later than originally anticipated.

I am a Cox OKC subscriber and they use SA boxes exclusively. Because of the ongoing delays and problems with TiVo's development efforts for Comcast's and Cox's DVRs, I am not optimistic that I will be able to get the TiVo software through Cox anytime soon.
post #375 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The SA Tivo port has always been intended as an OCAP based product. The main delays are now upgrades to headends running OCAP/tru2way systems. Cox and Comcast have announced over 80% penetration to OCAP/tru2way headends through the end of 2008 in their systems.
The Moto port for Comcast was the priority launch. Cox and Tivo are not allowed to use that port on their Moto STB's until Comcast reaches some amount of confidential penetration level based on a limited exclusivity clause. The SA port will be rolled out in the same manner once released.

vegggas
post #376 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

The SA Tivo port has always been intended as an OCAP based product. The main delays are now upgrades to headends running OCAP/tru2way systems. Cox and Comcast have announced over 80% penetration to OCAP/tru2way headends through the end of 2008 in their systems.
The Moto port for Comcast was the priority launch. Cox and Tivo are not allowed to use that port on their Moto STB's until Comcast reaches some amount of confidential penetration level based on a limited exclusivity clause. The SA port will be rolled out in the same manner once released.

Vegggas - Thanks for the additional background. Despite the priority being given to the Comcast Moto port of the TiVo software, the rollout in New England has apparently been hampered by a distressing number of bugs. It appears that it will be a looooong time before we Cox customers with SA boxes can get the TiVo software. Oh well, I'll have my TiVo S3 in the meantime.
post #377 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Speaking of the Tivo S3, rumor has it that Tivo is discontinuing it:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/31...ng-on-tivo-hd/

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Seven TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Two Amazon Fire Sticks, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #378 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

No, that deal did not fall through, but they did scrap plans for a non-tru2way version because the timing was too close and it took too long to finish the Moto port for Comcast. There is no sense in doing that same port for SA and then turn riight around to do a tru2way version. There is a Comcast/Tivo thread here if you want to read about the problems they have run into, etc. It does cost an extra $2.95, I believe, and remember, it uses Comcast's hardware/database, not Tivo's, so some functions are missing, though I don't think they are significant ones.

Also, when I say a new Passport-based version, I don't know if we will first get the current version with a new one to follow later. The press release could have just said Passport, but it went out of it's way to say Passport-based which would lead one to believe it will be a try2way version, hopefully with some enhancements, when we get it later this year. My understanding is that Passport actually already has an update (2.7), but no one seems to be using it. Passport is predominately used by TWC and they are moving to Navigator.

Cox Omaha is using PassportPort Echo (DVR2.7 and Passport DCT2.7(NonDvr)
post #379 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Speaking of the Tivo S3, rumor has it that Tivo is discontinuing it:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/31...ng-on-tivo-hd/

That's possible, of course, but the report was wildly speculative. As the guy who wrote it said, himself: [W]e'd still take this with a (light) dose of salt for the time being. Me, too.
post #380 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Cox Omaha is using PassportPort Echo (DVR2.7 and Passport DCT2.7(NonDvr)

Is 2.7 significantly different from 2.6 or just minor tweaks?

Cheers, Dave
post #381 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there wasn't a 2.6 it went from 2.5 to 2.7 the biggest thing was a free space indicator.

Omaha is a motorola system.
post #382 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a way I can check the software version of the Passport software that Cox New England uses? I think in new England we only use Moto Boxes, I think they "phased out" SA a long time ago (as far as dgital\\HD boxes go), I could be wrong though.

I can say though that I am not upset with the software we have now, there are a few quirks here and there, but overall I am "satisfied". Sometimes the Menus dont appear with Ondemand and the box needs to be rest in order to view them. Again I think the Moto boxes could be at fault here though. The boxes can get very warm even with proper ventilation, I am about to return one this weekend, because due to the heat it is failing out constantly needs to be rebooted, the HD is always running load on this one as well. Hopefully the replacement works better then the 1st one.
post #383 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a way I can check the software version of the Passport software that Cox New England uses? I think in new England we only use Moto Boxes, I think they "phased out" SA a long time ago (as far as dgital\\HD boxes go), I could be wrong though.

I can say though that I am not upset with the software we have now, there are a few quirks here and there, but overall I am "satisfied". Sometimes the Menus dont appear with Ondemand and the box needs to be rest in order to view them. Again I think the Moto boxes could be at fault here though. The boxes can get very warm even with proper ventilation, I am about to return one this weekend, because due to the heat it is failing out constantly needs to be rebooted, the HD is always running load on this one as well. Hopefully the replacement works better then the 1st one.

what box do you have dvr, or regular? if you have the dvr press menu on the remote to bring up the quick menu and press b,up,down,b and it should say what the versions are?
post #384 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there wasn't a 2.6 it went from 2.5 to 2.7 the biggest thing was a free space indicator.

Thanks.

Quote:

Omaha is a motorola system.

I already assumed that.

Cheers, Dave
post #385 of 2022 Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of the heat is caused by the return signal or upstream amplification required to get signals back to the node. Every 3 to 3.5db in signal strength is double the power output. The STB has to autorange up to the minimum level needed to talk back to the headend. A typical level should be between 37 to 44db. At 47.5 db it's doubled, then at 51 db, its then doubled again, etc. To put a STB in the same cabled environment will probably produce the same result. - Imagine an audio power amplifier, where 37db is relative to 50 Watts and the heat that it puts out. At 40.5=100W, 44=200W, 47.5=400W, 51=800W, 55=1600W - Now that's getting HOT - This is not exactly the same comparison (for all you RF experts ot there) but you get the idea.
Just as a 2-way splitter will halve the incoming power, it will require twice as much power to overcome that splitter to get back upsstream. RF Surge protectors are notorious for impeding the forward and return signals of cable paths as much as -10db.

vegggas
post #386 of 2022 Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what box do you have dvr, or regular? if you have the dvr press menu on the remote to bring up the quick menu and press b,up,down,b and it should say what the versions are?

DVR...I will test that out when I get home, thank you for the help
post #387 of 2022 Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6529086.html

Q&A: Cox’s Steve Necessary (Cox Corporate VP of Video Product Development and Support)

George Winslow -- Multichannel News, 2/4/2008 4:12:00 PM
As the satellite operators and telcos tout their ability to deliver more HD tonnage than cable, major operators are scrambling to free up bandwidth for bulked-up HD packages. Cox Communications vice president of video product development and support Steve Necessary spoke to HD Update about the “tool box” Cox is using to free bandwidth for more high-def content. An edited transcript follows:

Q: We’ve seen a lot of very dramatic announcements about the amount of HD channels satellite and telcos will be offering this year. Is this marketing hype or does it mean that they are ahead of cable in terms of the amount of HD channels they can offer?

A: There is a lot of rhetoric. But I suspect that it is rhetoric that passes legal muster. We all have lawyers and they look at everything. So, one would have to assume that the tonnage claims are backed by fact.

That said, the fundamental question behind those claims is simple. How much of that tonnage does the consumer actually care about?

If 20 of those channels or some large number of the channels being offered are regional sports networks, what’s the value in that? Most of us are not very interested in out-of-market regional sports.

You can also make the same argument about some of the unbranded content or niche content that is part of those packages. The channels that have strong name appeal will have highest value for consumers. Having a large number of channels that no one knows about will have commensurately less value.

But when you peel that onion, you see that we are offering the same amount of high value content. Then, on top of that cable has the advantage of being able to augment its high-def offering by literally orders of magnitude with the choices you’ll find in our HD on-demand offering.

So we are not particularly worried about tonnage itself. Ultimately quality is what matters. We are confident that our variety of choices will ultimately dwarf the number of HD choices that satellite can offer.

Q: That will require a lot more bandwidth. What are you doing to get the capacity for more HD choices?

A: The good news is that we have a pretty good tool box. We basically are using all of the tools at our disposal.

A quick laundry list would be bandwidth expansion -- we’ve taken all of our markets or are in the process of taking all of our markets to at least 860MHz. We are deploying switched digital video in several markets. We are selectively and modestly looking to take away analogue channels, which frees up capacity.

We are also looking to increase our compression ratios, which you have to do carefully so it doesn’t have a negative impact on signal quality. But there are some things that can and are being done that yield great pictures with a little less bandwidth with MPEG-2, and in the future MPEG-4 will be another tool in that mix.

Last but not least, is the physical architecture of our systems. You can reduce node sizes so that your capacity -- particularly your on-demand capacity -- is shared over a smaller footprint, which effectively increases the capacity in that node.

So we have a pretty full tool box. We are very confident that with the number of tools we have available that we will be able to provide a superior HD experience for our customers.

Q: What is your timetable for switched digital?

A: We have it operational in our Northern Virginia system and then we have two other large markets in the deploying in the first half of this year, Phoenix Arizona and Orange County California.

Q: How much new HD content have you added as a result of switched digital in Virginia?

A: It will obviously allow us to add more. But, Cox has a very high emphasis on quality. So we have been and will continue to be very deliberate in assessing the utilization and how much bandwidth actually gets freed up by switched digital before we try to fill all that capacity back up.

Said differently, the last thing we want is for a customer to turn to a channel and get an error message that says that channel is not available. We have not had that scenario and hope to never have that scenario. It is working very well and we are very encouraged by that.

Q: What are you dong in the area of compression?

A: The typical implementation of high definition would mean that we would carry that content on a system at somewhere around 19 Mbps.

We have found that with improved MPEG-2 encoders, that we can get equally good pictures to the eye in the 13 Mbps to 14 Mbps. So basically, that means you can squeeze three high-definition channels into one of the 6 MHz blocks instead of 2 channels.

Q: With increasing broadband speeds, do you have plans to offer more HD content online?

A: There is an opportunity to utilize the IP path as a means of delivering video. But our plans for it would at best be considered nascent. Frankly there are easier and more efficient ways to deliver HD content with MPEG-2 over QAM as opposed to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 over an IP path. Yeah, it is ultimately another tool but it is a tool that we will leave at the bottom of the box for a while.

vegggas
post #388 of 2022 Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I am seeing some of the national three HD per QAM testing channels and it looks on par or better than current encoding with 2 HD's per QAM. The new generation Mpeg2 encoders are surpassing early generation Mpeg4 encoders while maintaining mpeg2 compatibility.
The time is getting closer to a national distribution instead of individual upgrades.

vegggas
post #389 of 2022 Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM

vegggas

Thanks for the info!
post #390 of 2022 Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
so is COX OKC using a newer DVR than the SA 8300 now?? Mine gets glitchy every 6 weeks or so!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page