post #181 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post

Which is exactly why people should be putting the pressure on Hearst-Argyle and not Cox. People leaving Cox for these reasons are going to help cause cable rates to go up. That sentence I highlighted just shows that they are trying to bully Cox and it's subscribers into doing what they want. Then when it happens again with another company and another, guess what? Rates will keep going up.

Bottom line is rates are bound to up as time goes on. However, I know my cost for renting the HD box and DVR service has stayed the same for quite some time now and Cox has added at least 3 more HD channels. Actually 4 but but ESPN2-HD was put in place of KETV(ABC)-HD so nubmer of channels has only gone up by 3.

The HD/DVR box is $4.95 and the DVR service is $9.95 and HD only box is $5.75

Omaha only added ESPN2HD and A&EHD that was not local. They just added National Geographic HD with no price increase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Which is exactly why people should be putting the pressure on Hearst-Argyle and not Cox. People leaving Cox for these reasons are going to help cause cable rates to go up. That sentence I highlighted just shows that they are trying to bully Cox and it's subscribers into doing what they want. Then when it happens again with another company and another, guess what? Rates will keep going up.

Bottom line is rates are bound to up as time goes on. However, I know my cost for renting the HD box and DVR service has stayed the same for quite some time now and Cox has added at least 3 more HD channels. Actually 4 but but ESPN2-HD was put in place of KETV(ABC)-HD so nubmer of channels has only gone up by 3.

I agree.

I had Cox for years and years but gave up in November of last year because I just couldn't take the constant battles Cox had with ESPN, CBS, and Fox. They went public with it as well so I saw commercial after commercial about it....I never understood why...all Cox was doing was getting their own customers nervous and making sure all non-Cox customers were NOT going to go over to their side.

I choose D* because it has all the channels I need with no hassles. But, D* is a little more costly....though I can live with it instead of having to worry if the Saints game will be on....or whether ESPN will show up, etc...

Parents still have CoxHD and are slightly disappointed with the lack of HD channels the last few months.
post #183 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is their statement but as I said in my emails to KETV and Hearst-Argyle, I don't pay for a converter box just for an ABC affiliate. In fact, the only things I am missing are some college football games and one prime time show. You can watch most prime time shows on the Internet now and if I need to I will go to a local bar to watch football.

I should look into this since I was considering an OTA tuner anyway. Does this just work with a cable card from Cox? Will it allow PPV use?

OK, now to highlight a sentence from KETV's response. I decided not to include the whole canned BS response. It's pretty much the same as what's on the web sites.

"...Our decision to issue a statement outlining our intentions
in the event an agreement is not reached have enabled us to bring Cox back
to these discussions which I am hopeful will deliver positive results.
If you would like to speak to me directly about this issue please do not
hesitate in calling. I can be reached during regular business hours M-F
9am-5pm at 345-7777.

Sincerely,
Sarah Smith
President and General Manager
KETV"

I think I will give her a call

"

If you go with the S3 Tivo you will loose Ondemand, Cox Omaha now only has the PPV events that are on ppv channels all the movies moved to ondemand.
post #184 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

If ketv wants Cox to pay why don't they charge for there OTA signal.
post #185 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

If you go with the S3 Tivo you will loose Ondemand, Cox Omaha now only has the PPV events that are on ppv channels all the movies moved to ondemand.

Even the separate PPV channels won't do we S3 owners any good because they are interactive, too. I learned that the hard way earlier this week when I ordered Cox OKC's PPV telecast of the Utah State v. Oklahoma football game on Cox Channel 610. I have had to disconnect the SA 8300HD, which is connected to my other HDTV in another room, and move it into my big room in order to see the game on my biggest HDTV and in my most comfortable viewing environment.

Even with the hassle described above, I love my S3 and have never regreted buying it. Those of you who are familiar with the SA 8300HD and its pitiful SARA software will understand my attitude.
post #186 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Even the separate PPV channels won't do we S3 owners any good because they are interactive, too. I learned that the hard way earlier this week when I ordered Cox OKC's PPV telecast of the Utah State v. Oklahoma football game on Cox Channel 610. I have had to disconnect the SA 8300HD, which is connected to my other HDTV in another room, and move it into my big room in order to see the game on my biggest HDTV and in my most comfortable viewing environment.

Even with the hassle described above, I love my S3 and have never regreted buying it. Those of you who are familiar with the SA 8300HD and its pitiful SARA software will understand my attitude.

Not all Cox areas are that way. Omaha still has two PPV channels that should be avalable to S3 Tivo users, but they only show special events no movies
post #187 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not all Cox areas are that way. Omaha still has two PPV channels that should be avalable to S3 Tivo users, but they only show special events no movies

Cox OKC used to do that, too. That's why I had thought, incorrectly as it turned out, that I would be able to get the PPV football game on my S3. I couldn't Cox now has all of its PPV stuff set up interactively so that everything they offer that way can be purchased through one of their DTV boxes. There was a time when basic cable subscribers could buy some PPV stuff by telephone here but these day's Cox requires a digital box.
post #188 of 2022 Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cox OKC used to do that, too. That's why I had thought, incorrectly as it turned out, that I would be able to get the PPV football game on my S3. I couldn't Cox now has all of its PPV stuff set up interactively so that everything they offer that way can be purchased through one of their DTV boxes. There was a time when basic cable subscribers could buy some PPV stuff by telephone here but these day's Cox requires a digital box.

Are you saying you can't order anything on channel 501-507? It lists that as indemand which should be avalable if it isn't maybe you should ask why other cox locations can order the non ondemand PPV even with a cablecard?
post #189 of 2022 Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
In Hampton Roads sports packages are interactive. However movies & events are open to people with CC's as well.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #190 of 2022 Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you saying you can't order anything on channel 501-507? It lists that as indemand which should be avalable if it isn't maybe you should ask why other cox locations can order the non ondemand PPV even with a cablecard?

All I can tell you is that Cox OKC is showing the PPV telecast of the Utah State v. Oklahoma football game on Channel 610, that the telecast is interactive, and that CableCARD devices can't decode interactive PPV at present.

I just got off the phone with a Cox tech support guy who was aware of the CableCARD problem with interactive PPV offerings. He told me that all Cox OKC's PPV offerings are currently interactive but that Cox engineers are working on a solution. When I pressed him, it was clear he didn't understand that the S3, as well as other CableCARD enabled devices, are one way and won't be able to support interactive video, even with next generation CableCARDs. Thus, I have no idea what sort of solution it is that Cox's engineers are working on.

If you, or anybody else for that matter, have actually ordered a PPV event and been able to watch it on an S3, please, please let us know. If that's the case then Cox OKC certainly should not have done the PPV telecast of the football game the way they did.
post #191 of 2022 Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 PM

What channels can you get QAM from COx?
post #192 of 2022 Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I can tell you is that Cox OKC is showing the PPV telecast of the Utah State v. Oklahoma football game on Channel 610, that the telecast is interactive, and that CableCARD devices can’t decode interactive PPV at present.

I just got off the phone with a Cox tech support guy who was aware of the CableCARD problem with interactive PPV offerings. He told me that all Cox OKC’s PPV offerings are currently interactive but that Cox engineers are “working on a solution.” When I pressed him, it was clear he didn’t understand that the S3, as well as other CableCARD enabled devices, are one way and won’t be able to support interactive video, even with next generation CableCARDs. Thus, I have no idea what sort of “solution” it is that Cox’s engineers are working on.

If you, or anybody else for that matter, have actually ordered a PPV event and been able to watch it on an S3, please, please let us know. If that’s the case then Cox OKC certainly should not have done the PPV telecast of the football game the way they did.

What about 501-507 did you ask about that?

I am in Omaha and we on only have 2 PPV channels that should be avalable to cable card users
post #193 of 2022 Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM

I have a TV with CableCARD, and I can phone Cox to get PPV events. But in the case of interactive PPV, only a box would be able to do that. The Cox tech support was probably referring to the multi-stream cards(M-[Cable]CARD), which allow for two-way capabilities for two-way capable devices.

Other news:
Cox Fairfax(Northern VA) will be switching to SDV on October 16, 2007.
All of our PPV, Latino channels and other select channels are NOT available on CableCARD. And, they will be raising rates for basic/expanded packages, CableCARDS, all boxes, and international programming.
post #194 of 2022 Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapper View Post

I have a TV with CableCARD, and I can phone Cox to get PPV events. But in the case of interactive PPV, only a box would be able to do that. The Cox tech support was probably referring to the multi-stream cards(M-[Cable]CARD), which allow for two-way capabilities for two-way capable devices.

That's exactly right. Also, I suspect that the Cox OKC tech guy I talked to on the phone was talking about the new M-cards and didn't understand the inherent limitations on one-way CableCARD devices.

The difficulty I have as a TiVo S3 owner is that it is a one-way device, so it can't deal with interactive video, which requires two-way communication. Thus, it doesn't matter what kind of new CableCARDs Cox deploys, they won't do me any good until and unless TiVo and the other players can get together and agree on a fix for the S3 that will render it capable of two-way communications.

So far, at least, Cox OKC has represented to me that they have no immediate intention of introducing SDV here - thank God!
post #195 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Esser added that the cable operator will add "dozens" more high-def channels next year.

"(This is) to ensure that we offer a robust selection of the best HD channels in our markets. In fact, we have dozens of new HD channels slated for launch this year," he said.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/cox091907.htm

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #196 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the full post.
-----------------------------------------
ATLANTA – Cox Communications, Inc. announced today an agreement with Discovery Communications that will pave the way for a significant expansion of its HD line-up with four high-definition networks -- Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel. These HD networks will be launched on a market-by-market basis.

“This agreement for HD launches of Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel is a thrilling development for our customers. The programs featured on these channels are ideally suited for delivery in high definition,” said Pat Esser, President, Cox Communications. “As our customers’ appetites for HD content grow, we will continue to expand our HD line-up with high-quality programming to ensure that we offer a robust selection of the best HD channels in our markets. In fact, we have dozens of new HD channels slated for launch this year.”

With the addition of Discovery’s family of HD services, Cox customers will have access to a wide-ranging slate of real-life HD programming spanning content categories such as exploration and adventure, natural history, lifestyle, science and technology, wildlife and history, among others. Capitalizing on the superior picture and sound quality offered by high-definition technology, Discovery has invested millions in original HD content, bringing landmark programming events to viewers such as the groundbreaking, Emmy-award winning natural history series PLANET EARTH and DISCOVERY ATLAS HD.

Cox customers also will be able to experience their favorite programs in stunning 1080i clarity for the first time, including the danger, excitement and grime of Discovery Channel’s hit series DEADLIEST CATCH and DIRTY JOBS; the adventures of TLC’s much-loved Roloff family from LITTLE PEOPLE BIG WORLD; all the antics and drama of Animal Planet’s MEERKAT MANOR; and the wonder and mystery of the red planet with The Science Channel’s MARS RISING; to name just a few. Cox continues to offer Discovery’s standalone HD network, HD Theater, featuring viewer favorite SUNRISE EARTH in addition to a broad array of rich, original HD content across several categories such as world cultures, wildlife, high-end auto and adventure. Cox’s actual HD channel line-up will vary by market.

“Since launching Discovery HD Theater in 2002, interest in HD has exploded and viewers have continuously demanded more HD content from Discovery,” added David Zaslav, president and CEO, Discovery Communications. “As seen with the Emmy-award winning series, PLANET EARTH, Discovery’s non-fiction genres truly come alive in HD, making our channels top destinations for viewers. We are pleased to be working with our long-time partners at Cox to bring their customers HD simulcasts of Discovery’s most popular networks and to help drive greater adoption of HD services.”

Occasio Gee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #197 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Here's the full post.
-----------------------------------------
ATLANTA - Cox Communications, Inc. announced today an agreement with Discovery Communications that will pave the way for a significant expansion of its HD line-up with four high-definition networks -- Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel. These HD networks will be launched on a market-by-market basis.

This agreement for HD launches of Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel is a thrilling development for our customers. The programs featured on these channels are ideally suited for delivery in high definition, said Pat Esser, President, Cox Communications. As our customers' appetites for HD content grow, we will continue to expand our HD line-up with high-quality programming to ensure that we offer a robust selection of the best HD channels in our markets. In fact, we have dozens of new HD channels slated for launch this year.

With the addition of Discovery's family of HD services, Cox customers will have access to a wide-ranging slate of real-life HD programming spanning content categories such as exploration and adventure, natural history, lifestyle, science and technology, wildlife and history, among others. Capitalizing on the superior picture and sound quality offered by high-definition technology, Discovery has invested millions in original HD content, bringing landmark programming events to viewers such as the groundbreaking, Emmy-award winning natural history series PLANET EARTH and DISCOVERY ATLAS HD.

Cox customers also will be able to experience their favorite programs in stunning 1080i clarity for the first time, including the danger, excitement and grime of Discovery Channel's hit series DEADLIEST CATCH and DIRTY JOBS; the adventures of TLC's much-loved Roloff family from LITTLE PEOPLE BIG WORLD; all the antics and drama of Animal Planet's MEERKAT MANOR; and the wonder and mystery of the red planet with The Science Channel's MARS RISING; to name just a few. Cox continues to offer Discovery's standalone HD network, HD Theater, featuring viewer favorite SUNRISE EARTH in addition to a broad array of rich, original HD content across several categories such as world cultures, wildlife, high-end auto and adventure. Cox's actual HD channel line-up will vary by market.

Since launching Discovery HD Theater in 2002, interest in HD has exploded and viewers have continuously demanded more HD content from Discovery, added David Zaslav, president and CEO, Discovery Communications. As seen with the Emmy-award winning series, PLANET EARTH, Discovery's non-fiction genres truly come alive in HD, making our channels top destinations for viewers. We are pleased to be working with our long-time partners at Cox to bring their customers HD simulcasts of Discovery's most popular networks and to help drive greater adoption of HD services.

They just added Discovery HD and TLC HD here in CT.
post #198 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cox OKC has carried Discovery HD for months. I virtually never watch it and suspect that I will watch TLC, Animal-Planet, and The Science Channel no more frequently. When Cox picks up The Golf Channel's HD feed or TCM HD, I'll get excited but until then, Zzzzzz.
post #199 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cox OKC has carried Discovery HD for months. I virtually never watch it and suspect that I will watch TLC, Animal-Planet, and The Science Channel no more frequently. When Cox picks up The Golf Channel’s HD feed or TCM HD, I’ll get excited but until then, Zzzzzz.

You mean DiscoveryHD Theater has been on for months (years in most markets). There are two seperate HD Discovery channels.
  1. DiscoveryHD Theater - Offers diverse program types including nature, science, technology and more. HD production fever has recently spread to the series side; TLC’s Trading Spaces, Discovery's Rides, Surprise By Design, Atlas, and American Chopper are being produced in HD. Currently, Discovery HD Theater is available on Dish Network, DirecTV, and most cable systems including Charter, Cox and Comcast. Also available from Canadian HDTV providers. Launched June of 2002
  2. Discovery HD mirror of the SD channel, with a crop and zoom approach for SD. Limited HD is available for now, including Lobster Wars. Available on Dish Network, with DirecTV coming soon. Launched Sept.1 2007 (?)
vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #200 of 2022 Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I knew there was a reason for 4 new channels being announced...

Golf HD?

I just hope the Deadliest Catch is finally broadcast in HD!
post #201 of 2022 Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
NFL HD, NHL HD to be added in Fairfax County and Fredericksburg, VA.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #202 of 2022 Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

FYI, Cox Cable down here has added the local NBC channel in HD and I have heard that some other regions of the country with Cox have added their NBC channel
post #203 of 2022 Old 09-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Cox recently added A&E HD and National Geographic HD in Baton Rouge. NGC is cool, but A&E looks like crap.
post #204 of 2022 Old 09-28-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansDawg View Post

FYI, Cox Cable down here has added the local NBC channel in HD and I have heard that some other regions of the country with Cox have added their NBC channel

Who owns the NBC channel? If it Hearst Argyle itwas added because they finally came to an agreement with cox.
post #205 of 2022 Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

A&E had a fire so for the first few weeks they lost their HD signal. It looks much better now.

Occasio Gee

post #206 of 2022 Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 AM

Don't know if anyone has mentioned or asked but Cox here in Northern Va now has shafted the folks getting HD via QAM. They used to send all their HD material over the lined unencrypted (except for premiums like HBO) but apparently that has changed.

I just bought a new LCD for the living room and plugged in the coax to get my HD via QAM. Now only the locals come in. Upon looking at their website they now require the "digital gateway" to get the additional HD channels via QAM which costs an additional $7.00 or so (I think). Sucks.

Jeff
post #207 of 2022 Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM

COX in Topeka Kansas added History HD sometime last week.
post #208 of 2022 Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Cox signed with TBS HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #209 of 2022 Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Cox signed with TBS HD.

TBSHD is already on in the Omaha area.
post #210 of 2022 Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Cox signed with TBS HD.

Anybody know the next market getting TBS HD?(excluding Omaha)
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page