24 on FOX in HDTV - Season 5! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Truly amazing. A real heart-pounder from start to finish. When it was over, my wife said she felt like she had just run a marathon and was tired! I agreed.

What I also find amazing, maybe even moreso, is that so many of YOU can watch this intense, detail-oriented show and post running comments as it goes! I can barely take my eyes off the screen to blink, much less type posts about it on the forum while it's still playing.

As for the little continuity and other errors (I agree on the IP, they'd surely get a boatload of pings on a real one), these are sometimes fun to point out and don't detract from the story that much. The windshield was one and I thought I saw another pretty obvious one - I didn't tape it so I can't go back to be sure, but: I thought during the scene where Jack is shooting at the car in the refinery that his automatic pistol locked open (empty mag) but he continued to fire about 3 more shots (sound and action). They ended the scene as his weapon really was empty and locked, but it sure looked like it locked open during the series of shots and beyond. That Jack is good.

As for the kid with him, I had horrible thoughts of a male version of Kim, whining endlessly and trailing him around, causing silly problems, etc. I felt a little better when Jack grabbed him out by the throat and said "the only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you".

Great job on this show. Can't wait for more.

(too lazy to look back, but - to whoever posted that comment about Edgar crushing Chloe and eating an agent in the off-season: it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. I'd have spit it all over the monitor and keyboard. That was hysterical)

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 175
MAN those were the best 2 hours I've seen in a while for any show. And the DVR just came in the middle of the week so I got it to watch over and over. OH MAN. I set my DVR to run LONG so I wouldn't miss any of it. You guys who set those DVRs should know that the football games weren't gonna end on time. Even as a first time user I knew better. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername
Why can't President's have wives who aren't crazy soap opera characters?

What in the history of Jack Bauer and David Palmer leads anyone at CTU to actually believe Jack Bauer killed him?
Point1:I'm sure President Lincoln would like to have discussed that with you. It's happened before.

Point2: Remember it's been a year or more (if I heard correctly) since anyone has thought about or heard from Jack so think about somebody you knew were cool and now you haven't heard from them in a year. Your first reaction would be "He did what?" not "No not him, he couldn't have done that"

Chloe is the kinda chick you SAY you wouldn't hook up with but after years of playing the field you'd probably wind up marrying and years upon years later say to yourself, "What the hell was I thinking"

We get 2 more hours tomorrow. Man I feel like it's a late Christmas gift from Fox to the people.
Oh, by the way the PQ was decent in my opinion.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #93 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Still the best show on TV, IMO.

Still not convinced I'm getting an HD picture here in OC, on TWC.
post #94 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername
What in the history of Jack Bauer and David Palmer leads anyone at CTU to actually believe Jack Bauer killed him? If they suspected him of drug or gun running, yeah, I can see that. But there's nothing Jack has ever done that would lend any credibility to the idea of Jack killing a former president, much less his biggest benefactor in David Palmer. Should they be looking for him? Absolutely. At the same time, they should already be allocating resources to figuring out who is behind the frame up. Especially after Chloe just told them that.

From the previews, it looks like they drop the suspicion sometime in the next 2 hours, but it shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Okay, enough griping. Jack is still the supreme bad a**. The weekly adrenaline spikes are back, baby!
A common theme throughout the series is Jack as the lone wolf, who's given up everything or lost connection to family, whether it's his wife and daughter or the family of colleagues.

He's always going to be under suspicion or at least distrusted or underapprecciated by his own country.

It's the bittersweet story of his life.
post #95 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216
Still the best show on TV, IMO.

Still not convinced I'm getting an HD picture here in OC, on TWC.
I'll say this, it's not the crystal clear HD you'd be expecting but maybe they "softened" it up for effect or something.

post #96 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's Diehard all over again.
post #97 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, is Logan a worthless pile or what?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And he's really going to give up hostages rather than give up his treaty? Is this more Surnow editorializing about certain politicians who don't share his politics?
post #98 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
I have never watched a single episode of "24" before. I always seem to pick the losing shows that get cancelled during or at the end of season #1. If I started watching "24" now at the premiere of season 5 am I going to have a lot of difficulty figuring it out?
No...but if it gets canceled this season, I hold you personally responsible! :mad:

Hitachi CMP-4202U Pro 42" HD Plasma
Samsung LN-S2338W 23" Flat Panel LCD
Sony SVR-3000 460 Hour Network DVR w/Tivo
Tivo Series Two 40 Hour
Sony RDR-GX-7
Sony RDR-GX-300
Sony RDR GX-315
post #99 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

24 will be a good antidote to frustrated fans of Lost.

It will probably do as well as last year, maybe draw some more fans.

Remember, now one of the main writers is David Fury, who gave that Rolling Stone interview about how during the time he was with Lost (in season 1), it seemed to him like they were making things up as they went along.
post #100 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I could never get into Lost. If I wanted that story I'd just re-read "Lord of the Flies". 24 should never get old. I mean there's new material everyday in the news.

post #101 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boconnor55
No...but if it gets canceled this season, I hold you personally responsible! :mad:
Fox ordered two more seasons (this season included). So there will be at least one more season after this one.
post #102 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite
Damn! I miss Palmer already. Great character . . . gone. I liked Michelle, too . . . and Tony (who I'm sure will recover). I have to admit, I was not expecting Palmer and Michelle to die. That was one hell of a season opener.

Now Palmer can go on with his Allstate commercials.

I have always liked Chloe. I was a little worried when she was walking in the open toward Jack that she would be sniped. "Not Chloe. . . please!"

Like the new CTU center. Everything looked great in HD.

Favorite Series:

1) 24

2) Prison Break

3) Lost
4) House

Hitachi CMP-4202U Pro 42" HD Plasma
Samsung LN-S2338W 23" Flat Panel LCD
Sony SVR-3000 460 Hour Network DVR w/Tivo
Tivo Series Two 40 Hour
Sony RDR-GX-7
Sony RDR-GX-300
Sony RDR GX-315
post #103 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

this show continues to deliver, season after season. i've been watching the shows as they air since the days of gains. palmer and michelle will be missed, but i wonder why they wouldn't go that extra step and kill off tony too. he'll probably heal enough to get some camera time, but what does he have to live for now? find the killers and then what? too bad for tony, he has always been my favorite.
post #104 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Wow!! That had to have been the fastest 2 hrs of TV I've ever seen. Very intense, as usual...
post #105 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216
No one is talking about the PQ. Is this show in HD or 480p? Fox Widescreen logo looks like the old stuff. Quality does not look HD to me.
The PQ was certainly HD but nevertheless as bad as any HD show I've seen. There were tons of MPEG artifacts in almost every scene and not the typical blocking you expect to see in motion scenes. There was banding in shadowed areas and even 16 pixel-wide vertical bands in the background of static scenes. Many times unshaven areas on an actor's face would blur into dancing shapeless blocks much like the "dancing grass" we see during FOX football games.

This is the kind of quality you expect from Divx files done by amateurs or from DVD's that have four episodes crammed onto a disk.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #106 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:26 PM

Finally, something exciting to watch on TV again after several months of boring crap. Jack is back and the 24 writers have started off another kick ass season with a bang. It was a little sad to see one of my favorite 24 characters David Palmer killed off, but it was a sure fire way to get that emotional hook going early on the viewers in the first hour.

Who wants to start a pool on Tony's recovery. I think before we get to hour 12 Tony will rip the IV's out of his arms to get back into the action to get revenge on the people that killed Michele.

I have to agree with someone else that posted here, Chloe did look hot in the bedroom scene. I'm happy to see her and Edgar back this season.

Regarding PQ and SQ, in Los Angeles both where excellent on KTTV 11.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #107 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Remember, now one of the main writers is David Fury, who gave that Rolling Stone interview about how during the time he was with Lost (in season 1), it seemed to him like they were making things up as they went along.
But Joel Surnow has admitted in interviews and in DVD commentaries that they also make 24 up as they go along. Whenever they've finished shooting a block of episodes they regroup and discuss what direction they want the next block to go in.

There's nothing wrong with this if it works. Sometimes it takes writers a while to come up with great ideas.

post #108 of 2645 Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
BODY COUNT

Jack - 4 kills (crediting him with scaring a guy into commiting suicide :) )
Other Good Guys - 0 kills
Bad Guys - 2 kills
And so far no one has gotten killed by standing next to Jack, although I had high hopes for that shaggy-haired kid. You do not drink orange juice straight from the carton in front of Jack Bauer unless you want to watch it pour out of bullet holes in your body like a cartoon character.

I was really really hoping that Palmer's assassin would turn out to be Mandy (Mia Kirshner). She did such a terrible job trying to kill him at the end of the second season, I was hoping that after that great immunity deal she got last season that she'd take a few more shots at knocking the guy off.

post #109 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 12:38 AM

My question is...whatever happened to the real president? I guess he never made a full recovery...

But wow...I love 24 and this was a great start...thank you writers of 24!

Donald :)

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #110 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
And so far no one has gotten killed by standing next to Jack, although I had high hopes for that shaggy-haired kid. You do not drink orange juice straight from the carton in front of Jack Bauer unless you want to watch it pour out of bullet holes in your body like a cartoon character.
I told my daughter that kid was pushing his luck getting smart with Jack. :D

On the PQ side, everything looked good here in Tampa until the last 10 minutes. They I started getting a lot of freezes and loss of audio. I think BHN must have been having issues because my wife complained about the same problem with "Desperate Housewives" on the other TV.
post #111 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 04:43 AM

I didn’t go back and check the DVR, but I think that during the opening scene in the kitchen when Jack is eating breakfast you can see the time on the woman’s watch, which was something like 5:10. She must need a new battery. Only in HD.
post #112 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_prodigy
Ahh, I should've realized it was that guy
Yeah, I figured that one out pretty quick. He's the weasel who wanted Jack killed in the first place last season. I hope he dies ugly when his time comes :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #113 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 AM

Why the new thread???
post #114 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Dd you guys notice the FLOTUS said she "fell asleep during the news, so it was sometime between 10 & 11" - wonder what network she was watching? ;)
post #115 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
excellent episode, Jack is back.....

I love the line where jack says to the kid I would have knocked you unconsious but I don't feel like carrying you. hahahah....... great show.

And the fastest 2 hours I have seen.
post #116 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

the best thing about 24 - the lack of sarcastic remarks from jack. No stupid fkin will smith/law and order/ any other drama type of remarks, where the bad guy says 'dam my neck hurts', the tough guy/good guy punches his face, then says "how does it feel now" with that smirk. That is the single best thing about this show, didnt realise it until now but jack NEVER does that.

btw: scowl, you owe me a new shirt, i spit coffee all over it while reading that orange juice line.
post #117 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Dd you guys notice the FLOTUS said she "fell asleep during the news, so it was sometime between 10 & 11" - wonder what network she was watching? ;)
I did notice that, and made a comment to my mom, who was over watching with us. It's the first time she's ever seen it and I think she's hooked!

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #118 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald V
My question is...whatever happened to the real president? I guess he never made a full recovery...

But wow...I love 24 and this was a great start...thank you writers of 24!

Donald :)
Good question. Where's the real president? This milktoast Logan was never elected...Geena Davis makes a much better vice-president-fill-in.

Re: PQ...it's typical 24. When this issue was raised here in the past I believe the consensus was the show is purposely produced to be grainy and dark to 'maintain the illusion'. You're not going to see a pristine HD pic here. The DD5.1 on the other had never disappoints. IMO, the audio is as good as the PQ is bad. Watch it loud.

Can't wait til tonight, great premiere!
post #119 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
Well, thanks to the fracking NFL I missed the final 10 minutes or so. All year the networks have never scheduled enough time for NFL games. Cold Case was late almost every week. When they constantly run long why not just add another 30min to the schedule for the games. Thanks FOX, off to a great start. Sorry, just venting. Guess I'll have to download the episode now before I watch tomorrows.

They want you to watch the end of the game and the fox sports report I guess...
also just set your tivo to end 30 minutes later if you can't be there...You gotta know the football always runs over.
post #120 of 2645 Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No doubt this is the best show on TV. I agree Chloe looked very good and even Jack's old gorlfriend looked better. I like everyone else can't wait till tonights show.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page