post #91 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I just saw the winner audition last night. They might as well just hand the title to her right now...oh, wait, they can't make any money that way. I don't remember her name, but she was the one coached by her mom. She da winner, I can tell.

Wolfie
Nah, it's the girl from NC with the drug user Dad in jail and a mom who left her as a baby living with Grandpa. She had an awesome voice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
She was great looking and had a good voice, but the best voice was the young black girl (actually, I think she said 19 - but looked 14) that was related to the singer Randy recognized. That's assuming her voice translates well to more Pop-type songs.

I should say, I haven't seen last night's episode yet.
post #93 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When Randy said "No" to the pretty girl from Hawaii, I realized he's more objective than I am. :)

I thought her pop song performance was great but I admit I didn't have my eyes closed.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #94 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
When Randy said "No" to the pretty girl from Hawaii, I realized he's more objective than I am. :)

I thought her pop song performance was great but I admit I didn't have my eyes closed.
I thought she was good too. Sometimes these judges deny people entry that are better than 2/3 of those they let in.
post #95 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just saw the winner audition last night. They might as well just hand the title to her right now...oh, wait, they can't make any money that way. I don't remember her name, but she was the one coached by her mom. She da winner, I can tell.

Wolfie

She will go far as long as she sings the right material and loosens up a bit.
post #96 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
the best voice was the young black girl (actually, I think she said 19 - but looked 14) that was related to the singer Randy recognized.

Agreed.
post #97 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Three things I'm getting tired of hearing from the judges over and over and over:

1. "That was the best voice we've heard so far..."
2. "That was the worse voice we've heard so far..."
3. "That was just weird."

#1 and #2 are usually not true and #3 doesn't mean anything. For example the woman's performance of the Aretha Franklin song wasn't weird. It was just awful because she was yelling the lyrics and not singing them.

post #98 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemike
Nah, it's the girl from NC with the drug user Dad in jail and a mom who left her as a baby living with Grandpa. She had an awesome voice.
She has a great raw voice and great potential. And she also has the classic underdog "up close and personal" background story that can keep viewers coming back for more. The show's producers would prefer to have each finalist bring a bit of baggage to the competition. The jailbird-twins also have a potential winning, america-as-the-land-of-opportunity story, or alternatively, a great crash and burn in the making.

Mickey
post #99 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

wednesday night was pretty dull and boring, not too many laughs.

Tuesday was flipping hilarious with the whole DVD bit, I had a headache laughing so hard.

And that one kids little brother with the mullet was so fricking annoying I just wanted to punch him!
post #100 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any idea why Ryan Seacrest sounds like he's talking in a bathroom? Why the goofy reverb?

post #101 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
She was great looking and had a good voice, but the best voice was the young black girl (actually, I think she said 19 - but looked 14) that was related to the singer Randy recognized. That's assuming her voice translates well to more Pop-type songs.

I should say, I haven't seen last night's episode yet.
She's related to Ann Nesby from Sounds of Blackness
post #102 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
Any idea why Ryan Seacrest sounds like he's talking in a bathroom? Why the goofy reverb?
I thought that was just my speakers! -- but now that you mention it, I seem to recall he was perched on the backseat of a convertible in the wind, so they must have just run a loop of his narration through their patented voice enhancing fancy electronics -- you know, the same ones they use when they've picked who they want to be the idol, to boost favorable reception to the pick, or conversely weight the game against less marketable talent -- couldn't figure out which enhancement he got though. Maybe it was to lower his timbre to the "hetero" setting.
post #103 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
wednesday night was pretty dull and boring, not too many laughs.

Tuesday was flipping hilarious with the whole DVD bit, I had a headache laughing so hard.

And that one kids little brother with the mullet was so fricking annoying I just wanted to punch him!

exactly. i laughed quite a bit on tuesday. that skank in the lingirie that assaulted Ryan with the "you're short" tirade was damn funny too.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #104 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I'm with you on this one. At this time, she's definitley the front-runner in my book. Oh, by the way, her name is Catherine McFee (I only know that because they showed her on my local Fox News "Idol Recap" this morning).

PSN = ChitownJackalope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #105 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
OK I admit I thought that big mouth kid was funny. I figured the guy had hired his 10 year old brother to manage his singing career. He sounded like the youngest talent agent in the world as he stomped around claiming AI is a sham and his client/brother had been unfairly judged. His big brother may not have a future in anything but I'm sure that kid will have a career in something when he grows up.

post #106 of 3317 Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched both of this week's episodes tonight... the parent-less girl from Carolina is in the top twelve guaranteed. She was fantastic and marketable like nobody's business. I was ready to hand her the entire competition right there.

Also, I loved Simon saying "no" to so many people on Wednesday's episode. The first girl that he had a problem with had a good voice, but no one on the show wanted to go ahead and say why Simon really didn't like her: she was ugly. That seemed to be the theme for most of his denials. He did actually come out and say it for the crazy blonde woman with the tinted glasses and ridiculous hair, but I bet that was his reasoning for voting against the rest of them with the excuse "it just wasn't that good for me."
post #107 of 3317 Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Pretty dull show overall last night.
The one guy (with the red hair) who just kind of yelled was pretty funny, and felt bad for the "Hello brother" Jamaican guy from California once he realized he just blew his one big chance because of a idiotic stunt.
Simon was pretty funny when he told the “Psychic†girl’s sister that her sister/manager was “not exactly the best person to be getting musical advice fromâ€.
Hope tonight’s show has a little more life to it… talent seems to be below par from last season so far.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #108 of 3317 Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
FYI:

Comments from the gender confused guy (Zachary Travis) who got pissed off that some people confused him as a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by People Magazine 2/6/06
I am whatever you want me to be. If you think I'm a boy, I'm a boy. If you think I'm a girl, I'm a girl. I don't make it a big issue. And, yeah, when I can afford it, I want to get the operation.
How dare we be confused? :rolleyes:
post #109 of 3317 Old 02-01-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob
Pretty dull show overall last night.
Hope tonight’s show has a little more life to it… talent seems to be below par from last season so far.

Vegas is always strange. Go figure.

We haven't really seen most of the talent yet. They just say x number of people made it from this location and show them coming out of the room with a yellow sheet in their hands. They are saving the good stuff for the Hollywood shows.

Dave B.
post #110 of 3317 Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
It occurred to me last night, that this phase of AI is the equivalent of the Sideshow Freak tents that used to be found in circuses and state fairs (e.g. Hulk's Wife).

So I think I'm going to go to Fox and pitch a new show called American Freak where the audience votes for the weirdest freak that shows up.
post #111 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe they sent the girl with the big ... the "fit model", to Hollywood.
post #112 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I can't believe they sent the girl with the big ... the "fit model", to Hollywood.
And I thought the Randy-clone wasn't completely trash.. but he needed to go lite on some irritating intonations here and there. Nothing that a few lessons from the judges couldn't have taken care of.
post #113 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that girl was the prettiest girl i've ever seen on american idol...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #114 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain
She will be until they show those twins from the preview next week.

And I agree, she wasn't a very good singer. Simon always wants to put the hot ones through even though they're average singers.
post #115 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo
And I agree, she wasn't a very good singer. Simon always wants to put the hot ones through even though they're average singers.
Casting couch? Paula got hers last year. :eek:

Atlas just shrugged!
post #116 of 3317 Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hate to bring this up again, but this show isn't all about singing - it's a package of marketable material they are looking for. Best voice doesn't always win.

Why did they let the one who sounds like Simon's cat in for a second shot? If she looked like the "potato sack" girl, she would not have been invited back for a second tryout. I'm glad they had the courage to not let her go through.

Flame on. :D

The grapes are free!
post #117 of 3317 Old 02-03-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad the mass auditions phase is wrapping up. It's going nowhere fast this year. Neither the judges or the viewers seem to be into it at all. Show should pick up steam soon.
Where's Scott (and the "vote for the worst" crew) when you need him?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #118 of 3317 Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain
I thought the black girl was even prettier, but there's no way they could have put her through with that voice.

I do find the whole concept of the "fit model" intriguing. I never knew such a job existed. Unfortunately, clothes that fit her wouldn't fit most of the women I know.
post #119 of 3317 Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought the black girl was even prettier.
Both of my daughters said she should forget about singing and go for a modeling career. She was a looker. I wish she had made it on through, nothing wrong with a little eye candy...... :D

post #120 of 3317 Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Hate to bring this up again, but this show isn't all about singing - it's a package of marketable material they are looking for. Best voice doesn't always win.

Why did they let the one who sounds like Simon's cat in for a second shot? If she looked like the "potato sack" girl, she would not have been invited back for a second tryout. I'm glad they had the courage to not let her go through.

Flame on. :D
This is true for the earlier rounds, but once they get into the top twelve, America seems to have enough sense to get rid of the ones who can't sing (for the most part). If I remember correctly, Simon didn't even want to send Clay Aiken or Scott Savol to Hollywood in the first place, and they both made it into the top five in the end, and both were downright ugly (before they Manilowized Clay, anyway). Even the juggernaut teen-swooning freight train known as Constantine couldn't make it to the end with just an OK voice. He wasn't as good, and the voters knew it.

I guess all that really says, though, is that America is starting to warm up to friendly faces and not necessarily pretty ones. Personally, I resent the contestants that look great but can't sing in comparison to the rest of the field. I want them gone first.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page