American Idol - Season 5 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh wow, I didn't realize Chewbacca was a special guest tonight. Oh wait....... that's Paula. What a shame, she's usually some good eye candy.

Thanks goodness for Pickler.

he he he
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-M@n
Oh wow, I didn't realize Chewbacca was a special guest tonight. Oh wait....... that's Paula. What a shame, she's usually some good eye candy.

Thanks goodness for Pickler.

he he he
I said the same thing to my wife! HAHA!
post #183 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

The sound doesn't seem very good to me :cool:
post #184 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, Not too note worthy...
post #185 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this girl Stevie Scott is the first time she's been shown on Idol, for that reason she'll probably get the least votes tonight.

And now we know why - she's incredibly dull and boring.
post #186 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I really hope the obnoxious girl (Brenna Gethers) gets voted off. She isn't that good and she's just plain irritating.

Dave B.
post #187 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 PM

I just hope some rich guy sweeps Pickler off her feet, she totally deserves it... what a cute down to earth girl.

The first girl who did the Heart tune was amazing, that is a tough song to pull off but she has amazing chops, even if Simon did make fun of her weight in the tryouts.
post #188 of 3317 Old 02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch
I really hope the obnoxious girl (Brenna Gethers) gets voted off. She isn't that good and she's just plain irritating.
You've got that right.

I thought the lady at the begining and two younger ones were the best.
post #189 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, Katherine is the best female singer by far. Pretty too.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #190 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was finished with the Dog Pound the first moment I heard them doing their Arsenio Hall bit...lame!

I watched via Comcast in Detroit...anyone notice some lagging/artifacting in the second hour near the end? Was weird...
post #191 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mantissa, Paris (imagine someone named "Paris" with talent!) and the Pickler came off like polished professional performers. This is the best bunch I've seen so far (I missed the first season). O'Donahue, the basketball player, the opera singer and the girl that sang the Stevie Wonder song were weak.
post #192 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch
Yep, Katherine is the best female singer by far. Pretty too.
You watch. She's gonna win, mark my words.

Wolfie
post #193 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
4 North Carolina and California contestants in the Top 24.
post #194 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
You watch. She's gonna win, mark my words.
Yep - Katherine was my favorite from the auditions and I'm sticking with her. Although, I think Lisa Tucker had the best performance last night.

I don't get the fawnining over Paris. I thought her perfomance last night was average, at best. She's like a Fantasia wannabe with a weaker voice.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #195 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch
I wouldn't be surprised if she attituded her way into a first round cut. Don't know if it was apparent to the SD viewers, but her grimaces up on the balcony when others were singing was the clincher in my household.
post #196 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
I wouldn't be surprised if she attituded her way into a first round cut. Don't know if it was apparent to the SD viewers, but her grimaces up on the balcony when others were singing was the clincher in my household.
I don't know, votefortheworst.com has already made her their favorite. Looks like they're going to try to make her this year's Scott Savol.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #197 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My take...

I pretty much agreed with everything Simon had to say as usual. I see the show shaping to be...

Lock To Make It (to final 6)

1. Paris Bennett - the one with the most natural talent. Poise WAY beyond her years. A much cuter (and better) version of Fantasia.

2. Lisa Tucker - a great voice, much more mature than her age. To me, she is bit boring.

3. Katharine McPhee - Has a total control of her voice and is a very accomplished performer (voice-wise). I just don't think her voice quality is that special. She is also very attractive in a girl-next door way (though if she lost about 15lb she would be super model hot).

4. Kellie Pickler - Her voice is raw. It has a nice coutry-style tone, but she needs to polish it up and FAST. Still with her looks and background, she is a big'a lock as anyone.

5. Becky O'Donahue - She REALLY needs to stick with materials that work with her voice. She does not have a great range and her lower octaves were very mediocre. But I am guessing her looks alone is enough to get her by in this stage.

On The Bubble

Ayla Brown - She performed well (except for the voice crack when she tried to hit that high note), but nothing about her stands out.

Brenna Gethers - She is okay vocally, relies bit too much on lower octave husky finish, and her tones are bit uneven, but she is fun to watch. I think there will be a group of people who will vote for her just to make things interesting.

Mandisa - Great performer. But a good voice is not enough, you need to have a GREAT voice when you are that big.

Melissa McGhee - A pleasant surprise. We saw absolutely nothing from her before this show, but her voice has a nice tone to it and she knows how to control it. Man, the producers really short-changed her. If it was up to me, she would make the final six.

Likely to be Bounced This Week

Kinnick Sky - I actually liked her more than the judges. She knows how to sing and her phrasing was better than most performers. Probably just a bad choice in song selection. If she picks an up-tempo tune, I think she would do very well.

Heather Cox - How did this girl make it this far (I am guessing it was her blond hair and those six packs she showed in earlier rounds)? Her voice is bad - it is hoarse and thin (a bad combo).

Stevie Scott - The worst perfomer of the night by FAR. I am guessing she is a lyrical soprano based on how much she relied on her falsetto. The thing is, when you are singing a pop song, unless your name is Neville, you should ONLY use falsetto for a contrasting effect, not to sing the whole damn song with it. I would be SHOCKED if she made it through this week.

Overall, I am very impressed with the under-20 crowd. By FAR the most talented group of under 20 singers we have ever seen on this show.

Looking forward to the guys.
post #198 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I liked the last girl (sorry, too many contestants to remember all the names at this point!). I think opera girl is likely gone. I'd love for the really snotty one to be gone too, but the audience seems to like girls who mix it up with Simon. At least for a while. I thought Paris was a great performer, but not a great singer. She definately owns the stage though.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #199 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Don't know if it was apparent to the SD viewers, but her grimaces up on the balcony when others were singing was the clincher in my household.
- Unfortunately, I can answer this. The Einsteins at my local Fox channel forgot to "flip" the HD switch until 43 minutes into the episode. On top of that, it was a 4:3 zoomed image.

At any rate, the people on the balcony were too blurred to make them out clearly and it wasn't until the HD switch happened that I realized that Brenna was making those faces. :)
post #200 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your idiot is my idiot toker ;). I said to my wife "What the hell happened to the PQ!"

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #201 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Unless one of these girls completely chokes, it's hard to believe the final three girls won't be:
  1. Katharine McPhee
  2. Kellie Pickler
  3. Lisa Tucker

for the guys, Taylor Hicks is a virtual lock to make the last 2 guys.....if Ace Young gives the girls any voice at all to go with his look, he'll go far as well - the others are probably just placeholders.
post #202 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I tried to point this out to my wife but she disagreed. We have HD. The two shots I saw were her grimacing as you mentioned and then a second time she was shaking her head like no way. Poor taste.
post #203 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy
My take...

I pretty much agreed with everything Simon had to say as usual. I see the show shaping to be...

Lock To Make It (to final 6)

1. Paris Bennett - the one with the most natural talent. Poise WAY beyond her years. A much cuter (and better) version of Fantasia.

2. Lisa Tucker - a great voice, much more mature than her age. To me, she is bit boring.

3. Katharine McPhee - Has a total control of her voice and is a very accomplished performer (voice-wise). I just don't think her voice quality is that special. She is also very attractive in a girl-next door way (though if she lost about 15lb she would be super model hot).

4. Kellie Pickler - Her voice is raw. It has a nice coutry-style tone, but she needs to polish it up and FAST. Still with her looks and background, she is a big'a lock as anyone.

5. Becky O'Donahue - She REALLY needs to stick with materials that work with her voice. She does not have a great range and her lower octaves were very mediocre. But I am guessing her looks alone is enough to get her by in this stage.

On The Bubble

Ayla Brown - She performed well (except for the voice crack when she tried to hit that high note), but nothing about her stands out.

Brenna Gethers - She is okay vocally, relies bit too much on lower octave husky finish, and her tones are bit uneven, but she is fun to watch. I think there will be a group of people who will vote for her just to make things interesting.

Mandisa - Great performer. But a good voice is not enough, you need to have a GREAT voice when you are that big.

Melissa McGhee - A pleasant surprise. We saw absolutely nothing from her before this show, but her voice has a nice tone to it and she knows how to control it. Man, the producers really short-changed her. If it was up to me, she would make the final six.

Likely to be Bounced This Week

Kinnick Sky - I actually liked her more than the judges. She knows how to sing and her phrasing was better than most performers. Probably just a bad choice in song selection. If she picks an up-tempo tune, I think she would do very well.

Heather Cox - How did this girl make it this far (I am guessing it was her blond hair and those six packs she showed in earlier rounds)? Her voice is bad - it is hoarse and thin (a bad combo).

Stevie Scott - The worst perfomer of the night by FAR. I am guessing she is a lyrical soprano based on how much she relied on her falsetto. The thing is, when you are singing a pop song, unless your name is Neville, you should ONLY use falsetto for a contrasting effect, not to sing the whole damn song with it. I would be SHOCKED if she made it through this week.

Overall, I am very impressed with the under-20 crowd. By FAR the most talented group of under 20 singers we have ever seen on this show.

Looking forward to the guys.
I would pretty much agree with this. I think Mandisa rocked enough to overcome the size issue, and I really didn't think Kellie Pickler did as well as she has done in previous performances. I'm surprised that others on here thought Kellie did so well, and I was surprised that the judges weren't harder on her. I really like her, and I definately don't think she is going anywhere for awhile. She could do better, though. I also was shocked to she Paris taking a more grown-up and assertive attitude on the stage. Her voice wasn't quite as good as I have heard from her, but I was really impressed. I would list the top six like Gameboy but include Mandisa. That may not be the final list, but I have to think that Mandisa's abilities are enough to get her there.

GO COLTS!!!
post #204 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I like Mandisa okay, but based on previous AI seasons, you REALLY need to have a great voice if you are a plus-sized singer.

Other plus-sized singers of note like Frenchie and especially Kimerly Locke had FAR superior voice than Mandisa does. She can definitely make it to the final six, but I don't think her chances are that great.

The problem with Kellie is that she is just too raw. She has no voice training and it shows. She has a really difficult time controlling her breathing and over extends her high notes which results in her searching for the right key (very short, but it is noticeable). But I do like her vocal qualities and she definitely has the lungs to power a song. She just needs some training and I think she will do okay. Good thing is that she is likely to get months of top-notch voice training while she remains with the show. I expect that by the time when there are only 4 or 5 contestants left, she will be one of the strongest performers.

The main problem with Paris was that she was moving around so much that there was a lurch in her voice every time she jumped up and down. She just needs to either settle down a little more, or needs to limit the jumping to times when she is not belting a note. There is a reason why Britney's and Back Street Boys of the world use recording to back up their vocals when dancing on the stage.

I still think Katharine is over-rated (though I do like her). Technically she is so strong (no wonder with a voice coach for a mother), but her voice is so ordinary, with no color or variation in tone that it is boring to me.
post #205 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
[quote=CPanther95]for the guys, Taylor Hicks is a virtual lock to make the last 2 guys /QUOTE]
My wife loves Taylor Hicks. She wants him to win. I agree, he looks like he has fun, but he does need to tone down on the jerky movements.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #206 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

So do you guys think the 5.1 was simulated or true 5.1?
post #207 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
....and the winner will be Paris Bennett! :D Could care less about the guys as none of them will win and that is a good thing. :D
post #208 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
I would pretty much agree with this. I think Mandisa rocked enough to overcome the size issue, and I really didn't think Kellie Pickler did as well as she has done in previous performances. I'm surprised that others on here thought Kellie did so well, and I was surprised that the judges weren't harder on her. I really like her, and I definately don't think she is going anywhere for awhile. She could do better, though. I also was shocked to she Paris taking a more grown-up and assertive attitude on the stage. Her voice wasn't quite as good as I have heard from her, but I was really impressed. I would list the top six like Gameboy but include Mandisa. That may not be the final list, but I have to think that Mandisa's abilities are enough to get her there.
I'm with you about Pickler. She has talent for sure, but she doesn't know what to do with it. Her phrasing/breathing is all over the place. If someone would teach her she could do much better. However, as the judges mentioned, when it comes to likeability, she tops the charts.

One thing to remember, if past seasons are any indication, is that the judges eventually focus mostly on the singing in their evaluation and commentary. If you don't make it with that first, the rest won't matter.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #209 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2003
So do you guys think the 5.1 was simulated or true 5.1?
I don't know if it is or not. The good thing is they are doing a much better job of mixing it this year. Last year the vocals were drowned out by the piano and backup vocals on most of the shows. Last night everything was balanced.

Dave B.
post #210 of 3317 Old 02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
[quote]. Katharine McPhee - Has a total control of her voice and is a very accomplished performer (voice-wise). I just don't think her voice quality is that special. She is also very attractive in a girl-next door way (though if she lost about 15lb she would be super model hot).

If skin over bones can be called "hot". I think she is fine just the way she is.

Argee
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page