Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 3317 Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured I'd start a thread. Moderators please delete if there is one already started.

I am excited! Hope there is another Bo Bice surprise this season. I'd like to see more variety in the contestants.

Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3317 Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This is in HD, right? 'Cause TitanTV is saying it isn't...

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #3 of 3317 Old 01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Its listed as being in HD by Zap2it. They maybe doing the Fox upconvert, but at least its a decent picture.
post #4 of 3317 Old 01-17-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It is HD.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 AM

Boy, this show is one of the classic pieces of comedy on TV. I was practically pissing myself last night laughing in spots: the guy who left for an hour; the 16 year old future pole dancer with the bad tan; the psycho blonde meltdown; the guy with the feather in his cap; the statue of liberty guy. Classic, classic.

Simon was being extra nasty last night; it was great. Even Paula was getting in on the act, when she wasn't creaming her undies when the crooners sang to her. She looks good this year, unlike her doughy, unfocused appearance last year.
post #6 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
yeah, i thought it was classic Idol....the first couple weeks are always the best...my fav is when they show the judges reactions to the bad ones...like Randy's eyes-wide-open-head-shake in disbelief...or when he tells the people "singing just ain't for you, man...you should never sing again"...good stuff.

sure, it may be a little cruel, but like Dalton Ross (from Entertainment Weekly) said in a report after interviewing people in line for season 2 - "there's never a time i want someone to be more honest with me then when i'm leaving the house on a friday night to wait in line for a monday audition".

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #7 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by caernavon
Even Paula was getting in on the act, when she wasn't creaming her undies when the crooners sang to her.
Did you notice the way she looked at the other young guys? My wife commented (once the kids left the room) "Wow.... she likes them young". Paua better get a handle on this before it gets out of control again...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #8 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
17...crap, too young.

17 again?....crap, too young.

Hmmmm, I wonder if two 16 year old twins is equivalent to a 32 year old?

:)
post #9 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
It is HD.
Some shots don't look HD. Some of the shots on the contestants when/after they are singing looks upconverted. But the ones of the judges appear to be HD.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought Paula was getting a little wet when the Russian girl did her little dance. haha

I was laughing so hard at some of those people trying to sing. I loved it when one of them did one little note and Simon told him to leave.
post #11 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I don't bother watching the show until all the final contestants are selected. I hate posers and nutjobs whose sole purpose is to show their ugly mug and sing in their donkey voices on national TV..

Once the contestants are finalized, then the show comes to life, and even though most finalists are mediocre, I can identify with their struggle to realize their life long dream. THAT makes the show for me. I also hope "So you think you can dance" makes it back this season, minus that crazy screaming lady judge.
post #12 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast
Some shots don't look HD. Some of the shots on the contestants when/after they are singing looks upconverted. But the ones of the judges appear to be HD.
Some exterior shots are 16:9 SD but the important footage is definitely HD.

I loved the trash talk between the two women in the lobby. "The proof is in the paper!" Great comeback!

There was another funny thing I noticed. The AI employee who was sitting next to the door had some priceless reactions whenever a sucky contestant stomped out in disgust. I loved her glassy looks, her eye rolling, and how it looked like she was trying hard not to burst out laughing after a horrific performance since that would have been unprofessional.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #13 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj
I also hope "So you think you can dance" makes it back this season, minus that crazy screaming lady judge.
WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO. ugh, each time her monster mouth opened we had to turn the volume down about 10 notches.

I know some of the outside are SD, but some from inside look SD. The edges around the contestants looks black like cartoons, and fuzzy.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There was another funny thing I noticed. The AI employee who was sitting next to the door had some priceless reactions whenever a sucky contestant stomped out in disgust. I loved her glassy looks, her eye rolling, and how it looked like she was trying hard not to burst out laughing after a horrific performance since that would have been unprofessional.
I noticed her too; her silent reactions were priceless. Can you imagine being a PA in that room, and having to stuff your hand into your mouth to keep from laughing? Half the time I don't know how the three judges keep from spraying their Product Placement Beverage all over the desk. Maybe it gets a little less amusing once you've seen your millionth bad singer who thinks she's the next Billy Holliday.
post #15 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
...There was another funny thing I noticed. The AI employee who was sitting next to the door had some priceless reactions whenever a sucky contestant stomped out in disgust. I loved her glassy looks, her eye rolling, and how it looked like she was trying hard not to burst out laughing after a horrific performance since that would have been unprofessional.
I noticed that too. I didn't check at the time, but was she out of the protected (4:3) frame? Maybe only the HD viewers could see her?

Mickey
post #16 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Anyone having issues with D* 88 audio being slighty out of sync? I wonder if I should reboot my H20. I noticed it on Idol and 24. I think it was really bad on Seinfeld at 7:30, but I tuned in too late to be sure.
post #17 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe it gets a little less amusing once you've seen your millionth bad singer who thinks she's the next Billy Holliday.
From what I've read (publications often send writers as contestants to spy on the process), a lot of the auditions are kind of dull. They hear a lot of so-so singers who are not bad but not really good (yet). Believe it or not, Simon, Paula, Randy and the guest judge (if there is one) are usually pretty polite to these contestants. They turn them down but still give them some encouragement and advice, especially if they're good looking, seem sincere and are genuinely interested in becoming a better singer.

Of course we don't get to see those auditions because they're not entertaining. We only get to see the really good singers or the freaks. I think the judges go nuts over these because they break the monotony of hearing hours and hours of average singing.

post #18 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee
I noticed that too. I didn't check at the time, but was she out of the protected (4:3) frame? Maybe only the HD viewers could see her?

Mickey
Yes she was out of the 4:3 frame. I watched it in SD because my wife (and I, and my kids) didn't wan't to stay up till 11 o'clock to watch it in HD - damn you D* for pulling my east coast feeds!
post #19 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Boy, this show is one of the classic pieces of comedy on TV. I was practically pissing myself last night laughing in spots: the guy who left for an hour; the 16 year old future pole dancer with the bad tan; the psycho blonde meltdown; the guy with the feather in his cap; the statue of liberty guy. Classic, classic...
I enjoyed it as well. My favorite was Tan Girl. I'm still picking up pieces of broken glass. More tonight.

Mickey
post #20 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

It's fun seeing the horrible auditions, but considering they said only about 30 people made it from Chicago, i would be nice to see a larger number of the successful audtions. Considering it was a 2 hour show, if they moved off showing about 90% bad 10% good, maybe they could get some more of the talented singers some air time. It gets too ridiculous.
post #21 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

the funiest part for me was the guy who kept singing the same line of a chorus over and over and over again he just kept going until they finally told him to stop :)
post #22 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I read that Kelly Clarkson won't allow her songs to be used by "American Idol" contestants. (Fox/21 Entertainment have to get permission for the songs they have the competitors sing.)
I think this is a poor decision for Kelly Clarkson or her management. I doubt a contestant using one of her songs would mire Clarkson in lifelong "Idol" purgatory, but I have no doubt whatever that her refusal to grant permission will be played up as a sign of arrogance (right or wrong).

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #23 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj
I don't bother watching the show until all the final contestants are selected. I hate posers and nutjobs whose sole purpose is to show their ugly mug and sing in their donkey voices on national TV..

Once the contestants are finalized, then the show comes to life, and even though most finalists are mediocre, I can identify with their struggle to realize their life long dream. THAT makes the show for me. I also hope "So you think you can dance" makes it back this season, minus that crazy screaming lady judge.
I'm the exact opposite. I only watch the first few episodes to get some laughs out of the crazy people. I've never been all that inspired by people aiming to become professional karaoke singers.
post #24 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Agree, there's plenty of time dedicated exclusively to the "good" singers. Nothing worse than the bad "good" singers we suffer through until it's down to the last 5 or 6 contestants.

There's a reason they radically expanded the number of shows/hours dedicated to the auditions after the first season - we are not alone.
post #25 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
the funiest part for me was the guy who kept singing the same line of a chorus over and over and over again he just kept going until they finally told him to stop :)
Ah yes the sherif deputy. There are more lyrics to "I Shot the Sherif". Many more. They were waiting for him to sing them. And waiting. And waiting. But he didn't know them. When he came in wearing his uniform I'm surprised Simon didn't ask him if he was carrying a gun.

My cat was screaming at the end of Tan Girl's performance. The fur on his back was standing straight up. I'm not joking. While he was screaming I noticed he can carry a tune better than she can.

post #26 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
My cat was screaming at the end of Tan Girl's performance. The fur on his back was standing straight up. I'm not joking. While he was screaming I noticed he can carry a tune better than she can.
LMAO
post #27 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK
I read that Kelly Clarkson won't allow her songs to be used by "American Idol" contestants.
She's gone too prima donna. She needs to remember that it was AI that made her, or she'd still be singing karaoke back home.
post #28 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

That's A Guy?
post #29 of 3317 Old 01-18-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What was the deal on the first episode (Chicago) that at the end there were contestants we saw earlier in different outfits (the wannabe Christina, bad tan, with the trampy mother comes to mind) sing again? Was it staged? Anyone else notice that? I mean how many girls with bad tans and a pink cell phone on their front pocket mae it through? ;)

I loved the part on the first show...

Simon to Paula, "Paula, yes or no?"

Paula, "Absolutely not!"

Simon, "That's a shame because I would have said yes."

LOL!!

Simon has been great this season! They are all getting blunt and to the point. Some sugar coating, but as others said, Paula is getting much better!
post #30 of 3317 Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Am I the only one that wants to see Britney Spears and the Simpson sisters audition? That would be hilarious!

Also, it was nice to see they weren't afraid of political correctness and poked fun at that gender confused in-duh-vidual.

Atlas just shrugged!
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page