Is your local news in HD? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, early Feb. is creeping away. It's a lot of work though.. At least we knowHD is imminent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

So has anyone heard of what's up with KGO news ?? They had several commercials about going HD and now nothing. I know they were redoing the studio but that's over with ( or so it seems ) and still no HD. So where's the beef..... er..... HD ??

Laters,
Mikef5

Frankly, I'm happy with just KTVU being HD. It's regarded as the top newscast in the bay area and it's already in HD. The rest going HD would be nice, but that fact alone would not get me to watch them. It would be nice if one of the remaining 3 did go HD though so we could get an 11pm HD newscast, I don't watch KTVU at 10pm.
post #273 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Dallas ABC Affiliate WFAA-8 just announced their news in HD...haven't watched it yet.

http://www.wfaa.com/hdtv/

EDIT: I should have read the thread first, way late with this. Sorry!

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #274 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Frankly, I'm happy with just KTVU being HD. It's regarded as the top newscast in the bay area and it's already in HD. The rest going HD would be nice, but that fact alone would not get me to watch them. It would be nice if one of the remaining 3 did go HD though so we could get an 11pm HD newscast, I don't watch KTVU at 10pm.

Don't get me wrong, I love KTVU's HD news, they really do the news the right way. Too bad Leslie left before we could see her in HD but that's a whole story in it's self and I'm shocked at why she left. I just want them all to be HD, but I was wondering what the hold up was with KGO since they had made those commercials saying the news was going HD along with View from the Bay.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #275 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post

Ch 7 (WABC) in NY also has news in HD, although I think WNBC looks better. WCBS and local FOX news is still SD.

Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are already in HD.

Fox is in SD, but the chopper shots are in HD.
post #276 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

What are the odds of a newscast moving to be letterboxed if it's HD?

Would the 4:3 viewers even care anymore? NBC does it to all their HD primetime and I haven't heard any demonstrations in the streets yet.
post #277 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

What are the odds of a newscast moving to be letterboxed if it's HD?

I don't believe any HD newscasts broadcast in letterbox on their SD channels. They should, though. Forget center cutting, all HD material should be letterboxed in SD.
post #278 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
KTLA (Channel 5) Tribune CW in Los Angeles has been HD for a couple of weeks. KABC has been all HD in news for some time now.

The word is KNBC will be coming "soon" with KCBS later in the year. No word on plans for KTTV Fox 11 or Fox-owned (MNTV) KCOP13. Presumably independent KCAL-9, owned by CBS, will convert to HD news when the mothership does. It has already begun broadcasting all Lakers games in HD and says it will do all 49 of its Dodgers games this season in HD, too.
post #279 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM

KGO's blog says a soft launch is this weekend
http://newsdirectorblog.abc7news.com....html#comments
post #280 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atperson100 View Post

KGO's blog says a soft launch is this weekend
http://newsdirectorblog.abc7news.com....html#comments

Thanks for the info and the link, looks like there will be another news channel in the Bay Area in HD to compete with KTVU, now to get the other 2 to do the same .

Laters,
Mikef5
post #281 of 2162 Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 PM

in regards to Los Angeles news, KCAL and KCBS should convert their news to HD sometime in the Spring. Don't know when KNBC is going that direction. But it's possible that the addition of NBC Nightly News in HD in March could mean something real soon.
post #282 of 2162 Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.lynch View Post

WFAA in Dallas, TX just flipped the HD switch this morning on their news. They had a featured story showing their new production room and equipment that they are now using to make the switch to a 16:9 HD format.

I watched this morning....all studio shots and all location shots were in HD, not too shabby.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #283 of 2162 Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

One of the first? Sure, that's easy to say. The first? No.

KOMO-DT -full HDTV with some 16x9 SD
KING-DT - studio only HD

both in Seattle (totally spoiled here, you have no idea)

Actually, KOMO is not HD. They have HD studio cameras, but an SD switcher. Almost all video and graphics are shown 16x9 and most of it looks great. But, it's not HD.

From Don LaCombe, Operations Director at KOMO:

"Here's what we do at KOMO 4. We create all of our elements in wide-screen digital, which is not HD, but is much better than traditional analog television. We upconvert and broadcast all of those elements in HD. The end product is such a stunning improvement that many of the manufacturers of pure HD equipment haven't found a market for their HD products, yet, because HD is still relatively expensive. Our studio cameras are HD cameras, but our switcher is not, therefore we use the widescreen digital output of our cameras for News."
post #284 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

I don't believe any HD newscasts broadcast in letterbox on their SD channels. They should, though. Forget center cutting, all HD material should be letterboxed in SD.

Problem with that is what happens with 4:3 SD material upconverted. If you pillarbox this as 12P16 when you upconvert (which is the best solution for resolution/quality), and then letterbox the output, you end up with window box / postage stamp, which viewers absolutely hate, especially when you consider many 4:3 SD viewers are 4:3 SD viewers because they are watching on smaller sets, where postage stamping can be incredibly annoying.

If you upconvert 4:3 SD using 14P16 (as we do in the UK for News - though this is SD 4:3 to SD 16:9 conversion) or 16F16 then you end up with a major resolution loss - which will cause the SD material to look dreadful in HD.

Annoying as it is - there is a very valid argument for retaining 12F12 (i.e. 4:3 centre cut) conversion for SD outlets whilst SD 4:3 archive / agency / live shot material still needs to be upconverted.

Another argument is graphics. If you are designing your HD graphics to be legible in SD - then 12F12 conversion (i.e. centre cutting) ensures they stay as large as possible on SD outlets, whereas if you broadcast as 16L12 (i.e. 16:9 letterbox) on SD, your HD graphics need to be bigger in HD to be legible on SD...

(For 12F12 your 1080/720 lines are scaled to 480, for 16L12 your 1080/720 lines are scaled to just 360 lines. Therefore graphics need to be much bigger in HD if you 16L12 transfer)
post #285 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Problem with that is what happens with 4:3 SD material upconverted. If you pillarbox this as 12P16 when you upconvert (which is the best solution for resolution/quality), and then letterbox the output, you end up with window box / postage stamp, which viewers absolutely hate, especially when you consider many 4:3 SD viewers are 4:3 SD viewers because they are watching on smaller sets, where postage stamping can be incredibly annoying.

If you upconvert 4:3 SD using 14P16 (as we do in the UK for News - though this is SD 4:3 to SD 16:9 conversion) or 16F16 then you end up with a major resolution loss - which will cause the SD material to look dreadful in HD.

Annoying as it is - there is a very valid argument for retaining 12F12 (i.e. 4:3 centre cut) conversion for SD outlets whilst SD 4:3 archive / agency / live shot material still needs to be upconverted.

Another argument is graphics. If you are designing your HD graphics to be legible in SD - then 12F12 conversion (i.e. centre cutting) ensures they stay as large as possible on SD outlets, whereas if you broadcast as 16L12 (i.e. 16:9 letterbox) on SD, your HD graphics need to be bigger in HD to be legible on SD...

(For 12F12 your 1080/720 lines are scaled to 480, for 16L12 your 1080/720 lines are scaled to just 360 lines. Therefore graphics need to be much bigger in HD if you 16L12 transfer)

On my local news, the only 4:3 programming are stories coming in from outside sources--CBS News, CNN, (and, for some reason, BBC) etc or the helicopter.
What about a crop? PBS does it on occasion when they air a story in HD or letterboxed SD that has 4:3 SD elements, and it actually doesn't look that bad, even on larger screens. Plus, it would only be for 1-2 minutes, or even less for just an aerial shot.
I was wondering about the graphics, but apparently it's not all that bad for what they've got. They showed the newscast about 75% letterboxed over the past few days (due to school closing information), and when I checked the SD channel, on a relatively small screen, the graphics were still pretty readable.
post #286 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

On my local news, the only 4:3 programming are stories coming in from outside sources--CBS News, CNN, (and, for some reason, BBC) etc or the helicopter.

Yep - I suspect the BBC stuff is fed 4:3 - because many broadcasters still expect SD=4:3. Interested to know how much BBC stuff gets onto CBS, as the BBC is partnered with ABC in the US. BSkyB (aka Sky News) is partnered with Fox and CBS AIUI, with ITV/ITN partnered with NBC. However I think most broadcasters have looser agreements with each other - though AIUI ABC have closer links with BBC correspondents. (ABC air BBC reports fronted by BBC reporters and attribute them to the BBC?)

Quote:

What about a crop?

360 lines scaled to 1080 doesn't sound that great to me... Think I'd rather have the full 480?

Quote:

PBS does it on occasion when they air a story in HD or letterboxed SD that has 4:3 SD elements, and it actually doesn't look that bad, even on larger screens. Plus, it would only be for 1-2 minutes, or even less for just an aerial shot.
I was wondering about the graphics, but apparently it's not all that bad for what they've got. They showed the newscast about 75% letterboxed over the past few days (due to school closing information), and when I checked the SD channel, on a relatively small screen, the graphics were still pretty readable.

Well physics is physics - if you take a 1080 line broadcast and scale it to 480 you have more resolution than if you scale it to 360 (i.e. letterbox). If you wish to take fuller advantage of the HD resolution and embrace smaller type faces then you need to use the full SD res for downconverts?
post #287 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW79SFV View Post

Here in LA, only KABC-DT broadcasts HD from one of their helicopters, the rest of the newscast is SD. CBS O&O stations are considering upgrading to Sony XDCAM HD equipment and may go HD soon; for LA, that would be KCBS-DT and KCAL-DT.

sorry, but you are incorrect.
KABC 7 in LA broadcasts their news program in HD.
It is not just the helicopter.

Sure, some other their footage may be SD, but their studio broadcast is in HD.

Also KCAL-9 reports to have 9-1 as an HD channel, although I cannot recieve it.
post #288 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 04:42 PM

KABC HD is pretty funny.

Lately they have been advertising their Million Watt MegaDoppler HD Weather Radar.

This thing is ridiculous. It's not that hard to forecast the weather in LA -- I mean its 80 here today. But this thing has been wrong about the arrival, intensity and duration of every storm this season.

And the silly thing is not High Def. Every self promoting news Clip shows their HD Mega Weather Radar.... And we get an SD radar image behind a carrot colored meterologist (Raines) both of which appear to be guessing weather its going to rain or not.

They are pretty conscious about some of their SD feeds and footage. Cause they will do split screens or inserts a good portion of the time, so that the SD is not Blurry strecthed to fill the screen.

Dave B
post #289 of 2162 Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cleveland update - not yet, but a local media blog which has been right about this topic before says CBS affiliate WOIO/19 (and sister MyNetworkTV outlet WUAB/43) will convert their "19 Action News" to HD "by the end of February".

This definitely will make Cleveland the only four station market for local HDTV news, as the FOX, NBC and ABC affiliates are all doing HD news.
post #290 of 2162 Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 PM

KGO SF/Bay Area news is broadcasting in HD now. I just noticed today's 5pm broadcast is in HD. Field reports are non-HD 16x9.
post #291 of 2162 Old 02-17-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Boston seems to be the largest market where HD news is still a dream.
post #292 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post

KABC HD is pretty funny.

Lately they have been advertising their Million Watt MegaDoppler HD Weather Radar.

This thing is ridiculous. It's not that hard to forecast the weather in LA -- I mean its 80 here today. But this thing has been wrong about the arrival, intensity and duration of every storm this season.

And the silly thing is not High Def. Every self promoting news Clip shows their HD Mega Weather Radar.... And we get an SD radar image behind a carrot colored meterologist (Raines) both of which appear to be guessing weather its going to rain or not.

WBAL has "HD Doppler", which they advertise frequently, but their newscast isn't even in HD!

They also stretch all of their SD programming, so maybe they think they are fooling someone. (Sadly, they probably are.)

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #293 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

WBAL has "HD Doppler", which they advertise frequently, but their newscast isn't even in HD!

They also stretch all of their SD programming, so maybe they think they are fooling someone. (Sadly, they probably are.)

WXYZ, which was the first (and so far only) station in Detroit to do HD newscasts still has 100% SD weather, and the vast majority of their field reports are 4:3 SD as well. I've only seen 16:9 SD for major events. It's kind of pathetic, but at least they took a step in the right direction.

WDIV stretches their newscasts, but doesn't stretch any regular programming. They actually advertise this as a good thing!
post #294 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

WXYZ, which was the first (and so far only) station in Detroit to do HD newscasts still has 100% SD weather, and the vast majority of their field reports are 4:3 SD as well. I've only seen 16:9 SD for major events. It's kind of pathetic, but at least they took a step in the right direction.

WDIV stretches their newscasts, but doesn't stretch any regular programming. They actually advertise this as a good thing!

WXYZ semi-regularly has one report from the field that is 16x9, it is just not limited to major events.
post #295 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

WXYZ semi-regularly has one report from the field that is 16x9, it is just not limited to major events.

I must miss it every time it happens, because I can only remember them using it for the World Series from Comerica Park.
post #296 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I must miss it every time it happens, because I can only remember them using it for the World Series from Comerica Park.

I'm always surprised to see it when I do, but I saw them doing a field report from South Lyon in 16x9 during the school closing recently and for a report from the Lodge when it was shut down. I have seen it a few other time besides that and the World Series, but it does seem to be totally random when it gets used.
post #297 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I know that HD remotes are still a big deal, but I'd at least like to see them use more 16:9 SD. It can't be much different than 4:3 SD. And there's no excuse for the weather, they just need to upgrade that stuff. It seems like most stations that do HD news also have HD weather.
post #298 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Boston seems to be the largest market where HD news is still a dream.

Channel 5 will be doing the news in HD this Spring
post #299 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Channel 5 will be doing the news in HD this Spring

WCVB 5 (ABC) is a Hearst-owned station, so that would make a lot of sense.
(BTW, what's up with WBZ's new logo? I thought CBS had their mandate, and now the station moves AWAY from the mandate?)
post #300 of 2162 Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WCVB 5 (ABC) is a Hearst-owned station, so that would make a lot of sense.
(BTW, what's up with WBZ's new logo? I thought CBS had their mandate, and now the station moves AWAY from the mandate?)

As far as WBZ goes they are going back to the original logo's and dropping the CBS thing. I guess they figure they should go back to their roots seeing as they are really struggling these days.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page