post #181 of 2164 Old 11-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

wow, wish it coulda been HD when Leslie Griffith was a bit younger. I had the biggest crush on her when I was a teenager.

Leslie Griffith disappeared from KTVU news about three months ago. Only yesterday was her departure finally announced, but not explained. I find it intriguing that her unexplained absence started shortly before the switch to HD. Coincidence? One of the more interesting quotes is:

"I really never want to be on TV again. From here on out, I want people who meet me to see me for who I am -- not someone in a box."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2164 Old 11-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Yes, their remote cameras at LAX, the Harbour, Downtown, Burbank, etc are in HD but those are stationary cameras - not mobile field reports.

As stated, yes their chopper is HD, but they appear to use it less today than they did a year ago

Their remote reporting is in 16:9 480p. They have done it from Honolulu (after the Hawaii Earthquake) and today from North Carolina (from where the tornado hit). I have yet to see any live ENG HD and I skim several hours of their HD Newscasts daily.

I should state that only ONCE they went HD remotely from New Orleans. Other remotes are the usual 480i 16:9, basically using the same analog remote infastructure no different than any SD setup, except the camera is set to amorphic widescreen. Lots of SD newscams have anamorphic SD capabilities. Also, KABC will let the viewers know when their shot is HD, using that same yellow HD logo, which was how they identified the New Orleans shot and one of their special reports dealing with immigration at Mexico's south border.
post #183 of 2164 Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW79SFV View Post

I should state that only ONCE they went HD remotely from New Orleans. Other remotes are the usual 480i 16:9, basically using the same analog remote infastructure no different than any SD setup, except the camera is set to amorphic widescreen. Lots of SD newscams have anamorphic SD capabilities. Also, KABC will let the viewers know when their shot is HD, using that same yellow HD logo, which was how they identified the New Orleans shot and one of their special reports dealing with immigration at Mexico's south border.

I wouldnt go by their logo as there has been plenty of times they have used it with the SD Chopper.

Their shot from Honolulu and North Carolina also said HD on the graphic - but they were not.
post #184 of 2164 Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Virtually every stations doing HD Newscasts except those few with dedicated HDTV Helicopters cameras are using 480 16:9 Widescreen for all remote live shots.

Yep - my comments were to clarify that it is likely to be 480/60i 16:9 SD upconverted, NOT 480/60p 16:9 upconverted.

I'd expect the cameras involved to be Sony DVCam, XDCam or possible Beta SX camcorders, Panasonic DVCPros etc. - all in SD. These are 480/60i camcorders that optionally come with 16:9/4:3 switchable outputs. They don't deliver 480/60p 16:9 - just 480/60i.

In the UK - the BBC and Sky are 16:9 SD for News - using 50Hz 576/50i versions of the gear I'd expect to be in use in the US for local news. (Sony DSR500 series DVCam camcorders are the workhorses of national and local news for the BBC - with a few Beta SX camcorders in Scotland, Ireland and Wales, and overseas)

(The 480/60p confusion stems from Fox broadcasting their early digital network in this format, though they didn't originate much - if anything - in it, it was mainly a distribution format.)

Confusingly - some DVCam camcorders now boast 24p/30p or 25p acquisition - so may shoot 480p or 576p - but only at 24/30p or 25p, not 60p or 50p.
post #185 of 2164 Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 AM

ABC O&O KTRK now has a chopper in HD

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/index?se...ech&id=4750137
post #186 of 2164 Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just saw a blurb on local San Diego HDTV web forum site that our CBS affiliate, KFMB, will be going to HD for the news program in early (mentions January) 2007.

Here's the link: http://www.tvpredictions.com/localhdnews112506.htm
post #187 of 2164 Old 12-03-2006, 07:43 AM

post #188 of 2164 Old 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

LOL:
From the KTRK Press Release:

"The detail and clarity of an HD picture is stunning. Complete with an IMAX size 17 inch screen, it makes reporting more accurate and viewing more real. "

So, are stations now just launching out of the blue? That's werid, if I were a station manager, I'd want one of the largest investments to be hyped up a little bit.
post #189 of 2164 Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

LOL:
From the KTRK Press Release:

"The detail and clarity of an HD picture is stunning. Complete with an IMAX size 17 inch screen, it makes reporting more accurate and viewing more real. "

So, are stations now just launching out of the blue? That's werid, if I were a station manager, I'd want one of the largest investments to be hyped up a little bit.

If you watched the video on the website, you would understand that the helicopter reporter only had about a 7 inch 4:3 screen to look at the camera's feed, so a 17 inch 16:9 display for the HD camera is quite an upgrade by comparison.

Also, this is only an HD helicopter. The studio has not yet gone HD, but I take it on good sources that it will be happening in the coming months. The station is pushing a lot of on-air promos as of late for the HD helicopter, and I suspect as the newscasts come closer to their full HD debut KTRK will make the countdown a big deal.

I just shudder to think of seeing Marvin Zindler (The consumer/investigative reporter that Dom DeLuise's Melvin P. Thorpe in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" is based on) and his too many to count facelifts will look like in HD as he talks about "Slime in the Ice Machine".
post #190 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Big news, WABC is sorta going HD, they haven't changed anything else yet, but the studio shots are in HD (well, not as crisp as NewsChannel4HD but still, a big jump). No HD studio or Graphics yet (ironically, they are STILL using their current graphics!), but still, quite an achievement! Now, we just need to get WCBS out of the dark ages...
post #191 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those of you current receiving HD broadcasts, what is the level of HD video to SD video used? Is it only video most likely shot by that station? Do they use HD sports highlights where available or of other HD programming (network shows, etc).

Im wondering how far off is an HD video delivery service similar to CNN Pathfire, or even just a feed. The number of local news broadcasts in HD is on the rise, and they would all benefit greatly from something like this. If CNN moves to HD in the near future, will that push something like this into happening?
post #192 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDinHouston View Post

ABC O&O KTRK now has a chopper in HD

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/index?se...ech&id=4750137

Hey, I live in Chicagoland,and ABC, WLS, Channel 7, for us, has had a HD chopper camera since last April. Its funny because none of the other parts of the news are in HD but the traffic scences.

I saw Jose Sanders, (ABC chicago anchor of the morning news), in a store I went to for lunch back in September, and I asked him when the news would be broadcast in high definition. He told me that he thought it already was. (But it really isn't).

It'll be really interesting how this is handled, because with my digital cable the news isn't HD, but it looks really nice, (with black bars on the side), but when they move to some video footage it looks terrible. No doubt this is a main reason why the change isn't that simple to make. You'd need a lot of expensive HD cameras, that perhaps havn't been aquired yet. Sets/lighting,etc. are probably issues as well.

Also, the news is nothing but close up shots for the newscasters. Everyone has heard about the Barbara Walters/Diane Sawyer, softening thats going on, so are high definition news casts really that good?

On another note, it kinda baffles me why the National news isn't HD. I'd say just let one of the major nextworks make the commitment, and the other two will probably follow suit.
post #193 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

HD cameras are usually one of the first things purchased since they have been available for a while now, are relatively cheap and will work just fine with all existing equipment. The switching and production equipment is where the real cost of HD comes in to play.

KPNX's HD news is only HD for the studio and taped HD chopper shots. I would have to say that the best parts of their going to HD news are that they fixed the audio corruption that occurred when switching between HD and upconvert, and they got rid of the 4:3->14:9 stretch-o-vision on upconverts.
post #194 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

For those of you current receiving HD broadcasts, what is the level of HD video to SD video used? Is it only video most likely shot by that station? Do they use HD sports highlights where available or of other HD programming (network shows, etc).

Im wondering how far off is an HD video delivery service similar to CNN Pathfire, or even just a feed. The number of local news broadcasts in HD is on the rise, and they would all benefit greatly from something like this. If CNN moves to HD in the near future, will that push something like this into happening?

Well, WUSA looks awesome (it was one of the earlier stations to go HD). Compared to their ancient SD system, it was quite an upgrade. It kind of looks like CSI-type quality. At least, when they're in-studio. They use widescreen SD cameras for field, and that makes it look like Fox Widescreen (think Saturday Baseball) Plus, they don't seem to be filtering anyone, so the quality STAYS great.
They seem to have the capability to display HD highlights (they usually do so for football games, but sometimes not, even when it was HD), but I've never seen any non-CBS (their network) or WUSA broadcast in HD or 16:9.
CNN has said (not officially, but I went to their NYC bureau once and asked someone that worked there) that the only thing keeping them from launching an HD network is that they still gather news on Betamax. They said that, when they upgrade the system, they would also upgrade their distribution system to HD for distributing clips to affiliates.
post #195 of 2164 Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 PM

None out of Madison, WI that I know of.
post #196 of 2164 Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

WRC (NBC4) in Washington, DC announced an HD upgrade last night. They hope to be HD by the end of the year. They're an NBC O&O.

This is the second HD newscast for the DC area, with WUSA making the switch last year. WTTG (FOX5, O&O) has ordered HD equipment, but no formal announcement has been made. This would just leave WJLA to do anything. Our local CW affiliate lacks a newscast, but that may change since it's owned by Tribune and thus is likely to be sold to Gannett, the owner of WUSA.
post #197 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 AM

What's your source for WRC?

I see an article from NBC4's site where they talk about upgrading the studio's lighting in anticipation of HDTV, but they dont say they're going HD here - ie spending the $2 to $3 million on a new switcher, router, cameras, distribution, monitor and control equipment etc.

Am I missing something?
post #198 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGreg View Post

I have been watching KTVU for 3-4 weeks. I love it. My local ABC (KGO) seems to be close to going HD, as they keep talking up their HD traffic camera, even though it is being shown in that 4+x3 screen that ABC uses, not yet 16x9.

I wish KGO would get going on HD Jeopardy first.
And yes, KTVU is now the News station to watch.
post #199 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV888 View Post

I wish KGO would get going on HD Jeopardy first.
And yes, KTVU is now the News station to watch.

eh... KTVU was the news station to watch before HD anyway. now they've only solidified it further with HD. i love watching the morning show in HD.

every other bay area news station are followers.
post #200 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.jackson View Post

What's your source for WRC?

I see an article from NBC4's site where they talk about upgrading the studio's lighting in anticipation of HDTV, but they dont say they're going HD here - ie spending the $2 to $3 million on a new switcher, router, cameras, distribution, monitor and control equipment etc.

Am I missing something?

Doreen Gentzler confirmed it a couple days ago on the 11PM newscast.
post #201 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I agree that WNBC looks a lot better... it's a shame WCBS is stuck in a rut... they go through anchors like water, at least when it comes to noon and 5

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #202 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
None in Colorado Springs, CO here, unfortunately. That'd be wonderful. I'd actually watch the news again.
post #203 of 2164 Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Heres a article you might be interested in.. talks about abc's plans to have KGO and WLS go HD within 90 days.. And how CBS will have remote hd shots when they launch
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
post #204 of 2164 Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Chicago Station Goes HD

By Rebecca Stropoli and Garth Johnston -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/15/2006 9:57:00 AM

Starting Jan. 6, WLS Chicago will become the first station in Nielsen's No. 3 market to broadcast its complete local news and programming lineup in high-definition.

Converting from 4:3 standard-def to 16:9 hi-def, the station will air 33 hours of local news per weekalong with its other programmingin the HD format, providing more hours of HD viewing than any other station in the market. It is already the only Chicago station with an HD helicopter.

Said President and General Manager Emily Barr about the move to HD, "We've had to rebuild our entire plant. From an engineering perspective, it has been a tremendous amount of work."

Kal Hassan, VP of engineering, said, [WLS] has one of the most advanced, all-digital facilities in the country,pioneering the way here with an all-HD infra structure that includes HD control rooms, HD studio and remote cameras, HD graphics weather system and HD-capable live trucks."

http://broadcastingcable.com/article...=Breaking+News

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #205 of 2164 Old 12-15-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I read that Boston's ABC station will be doing the news in HD I believe this spring I hope this forces others in our area to do the same
post #206 of 2164 Old 12-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

I read that Boston's ABC station will be doing the news in HD I believe this spring I hope this forces others in our area to do the same

For more info on WCVB, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCVB-TV
It appears to be a Heart-Argyle-owned station that serves the Boston metro area and had a big push on HD when digital first started, being the first in the DMA to broadcast the John Glenn space launch in HD. It has one subchannel, broadcasting a weather radar.

When KGO goes HD, that would mean that 6 out of the 7 top ABC affiliates do HD news. (I'm looking at you, WJLA executives!)
post #207 of 2164 Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWJones View Post

Also, this is only an HD helicopter. ....

I just shudder to think of seeing Marvin Zindler (The consumer/investigative reporter that Dom DeLuise's Melvin P. Thorpe in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" is based on) and his too many to count facelifts will look like in HD as he talks about "Slime in the Ice Machine".

Is it wrong that I'm hoping for a 2 hr car chase around the loop or a disaster so I can catch some of the HD chopper coverage?

As far as Marvin in HD goes....I doubt he'll let that happen least we see the animatronics controlling his face :-) I kid, I love Marvin and was delighted to see him still on the air when I came back home to Texas. I figured for sure they'd have him on ice at the museum or something.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #208 of 2164 Old 12-18-2006, 09:11 AM

WRC is not going to an HD newscast in the near-future - they have merely altered the lighting. Sometimes, actually a lot more than you think, journalists and reporters don't really know what it means to truly be doing a newscast in HD.

In fact, I believe the reporter said something to the effect of the new lighting grid will put them in a better position for HDTV. Again, they have no plans as of yet to pay the few million dollars required to put the news in HD.
post #209 of 2164 Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.jackson View Post

WRC is not going to an HD newscast in the near-future - they have merely altered the lighting. Sometimes, actually a lot more than you think, journalists and reporters don't really know what it means to truly be doing a newscast in HD.

In fact, I believe the reporter said something to the effect of the new lighting grid will put them in a better position for HDTV. Again, they have no plans as of yet to pay the few million dollars required to put the news in HD.

You're right, sorry. Here's the closest thing to an official release:
From DCRTV:

HD News For 4 - 12/12 - NBC may not have the bucks to hold onto all of its longtime employees, but it does have the funds to upgrade Channel 4's news studios to high-def (right). Network-owned WRC plans to unveil at least some of its HD news look by the end of the year. However, we also hear that the station is only doing lighting upgrades now and will unveil more HD stuff later in 2007.....

But, from what I've heard going around, those other upgrades should come sooner in 07 rather than later.
post #210 of 2164 Old 12-20-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
KRNV Beats KREN To The HD Punch

By Glen Dickson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/20/2006 11:02:00 AM

KRNV, the NBC affiliate in Reno, Nev., is declaring victory in the race to offer high-definition news in the 110th-largest market.

The Sunbelt Communications-owned station began broadcasting news in 1080-line interlace (1080i) HDTV with its noon newscast Tuesday, and will now be offering 3.5 hours of HD news each weekday, including a 90-minute morning show, and 1.5 hours daily on weekends. A 30-minute public affairs program, "Nevada Newsmakers," will begin broadcasting in HD next month from Monday to Thursday, following the 30-minute noon news.

KRNV spent $4 million converting its news operations to HD, which included building a new set and replacing Sony Betacam SX cameras with Canon XL H1 HDV-format high-definition camcorders. The station had initially tried to launch HD news on Nov. 15, but ran into audio synchronization problems with the HD signal and aborted the attempt. The second go-round has been much smoother, says news director Jon Killoran.

"Everything went very, very well," says Killoran. "We are now on the air, and expecting to stay on the air, in HD."

Meanwhile, Pappas station KREN, the CW affiliate in Reno, experienced technical difficulties that postponed the scheduled Dec. 18 launch of its own HD newscast. The 10pm newscast, now slated to launch next week, will be the station's first local news product.

Sister station KAZR, a low-power station and Azteca America affiliate, is already on the air with its own 30-minute HD newscast. That HD newscast, which launched last month, is the first in Reno and the first Spanish-language HD newscast in the U.S.

http://broadcastingcable.com/article...=Breaking+News

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page