Is your local news in HD? - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2164 Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
WCNC "NBC Charlotte" has now finally upgraded to Full HD local news. Channel 36.1, RF22. All Charlotte, NC local news stations are now in HD. The upgrade was initiated by Belo and now finally completed by new owner Gannett. Now 1080i. As of 6pm newscast, 6/28/14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2164 Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still no changes in Peoria DMA#116.

WMBD/WYZZ are the only 2 tv stations that still broadcasts local news in 4:3 480i. They also show syndicated programming in 4:3 480i. It's beyond pathetic. And they just ignore you when you ask why.

WEEK/WHOI/WAOE are broadcasting their inferior newscasts in widescreen SD, but they have been broadcasting syndicated programming in HD for some time now on account of investments made at their Ft. Wayne hub.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the FCC still approves WEEK's takeover by Quincy Newspapers from Granite, and I'm hoping for it asap or things will remain status quo as Granite has no money to do much of anything. I'm pretty sure all Quincy Newspapers stations broadcast their local news in HD.

I do know that Sinclair, the new owners of WHOI, are going to terminate the WEEK/WHOI SSA within 9 months of WEEK's ownership change. It is my hope that they are planning on revamping either the WHOI studios, or the WYZZ studios, which recently changed ownership hands to Cunningham broadcasting. Given Sinclair's conservative slant and a strong desire to share their viewpoints in every market where they're present, I have a very strong hunch they will launch a WHOI/WYZZ duopoly, and a state-of-the-art studio rebuilt from scratch. They can be very cheap. But for a corporation that recently bought a billion dollars in stations in just one year, what's an extra 1-2 million here or there.

WEEK will have to make do with WAOE and WMBD will have to stand alone. I'm fearful that Nexstar has plans to outsourse WMBD's programming to one of the neighboring CBS stations, such as WCIA or WHBF, which are also owned by Nexstar. Nexstar is akin to Sinclair, but they have at least upgraded most of their stations, including all of the ones that surround WMBD. It makes no sense why they continue to neglect WMBD this late in the game, unless they're just flat out don't care about the station and plan to farm it's operations out to sister stations. I know they obviously don't care what the viewers think. They get complaints all the time, but they just choose to ignore it.
post #2163 of 2164 Old 10-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It looks like WWL's newscast have been converted from 16x9 widescreen SD to High Definition, as of this past Wednesday.
post #2164 of 2164 Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Appears WICD-15 Champaign, IL newscasts are now in HD as of yesterday...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page