How I Met Your Mother - CBS HD - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
WOW... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
he finally meets their mother and they brush her aside in minutes, giving her traumatic illness and one line notation, all so he could end up with Robin.

Call me disappointed. I just need to stop watching series finales because, other then Breaking Bad, I usually end up mad at the show and feel like I wasted my time. Did not like that ending.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
so about the pineapple.....
post #1143 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

no surprise at all what the Mother's name was...

Did they say what it was ?? If so it either slipped right by me or or I forgot....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1144 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

no surprise at all what the Mother's name was...

Did they say what it was ?? If so it either slipped right by me or or I forgot....

Tracy McConnel(sp?).

post #1145 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can only imagine the amount of hate tweets the finale is going to get. I'm not that invested now but even I thought it was a massive middle finger to the audience. Bays/Thomas either completely misread the audience or they really don't give a crap.

We spent an entire season on a wedding that ended in divorce twenty minutes into this one and then an entire series in which the mother dies and Ted runs back to a relationship which was driven into the ground year after year.

post #1146 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

So I guess you actually missed the scene of Ted finally meeting the mother? They did a whole big thing about the initials on the umbrella. She said her name during that scene., Tracy McConnell. The same initials as Ted Mosby.
post #1147 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

You're in luck.

VIDEO

My thoughts exactly... Glad I saw the beginning didn't stick around for the "middle" and the end was fine. Hey, could've been worse... could've been a Burn Notice ending... -.-

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1148 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I can only imagine the amount of hate tweets the finale is going to get. I'm not that invested now but even I thought it was a massive middle finger to the audience. Bays/Thomas either completely misread the audience or they really don't give a crap.

We spent an entire season on a wedding that ended in divorce twenty minutes into this one and then an entire series in which the mother dies and Ted runs back to a relationship which was driven into the ground year after year.
I would like to hear from the creators about killing poor Tracy (the mother) off, so Ted could hook up with Robin six years
later. Disappointed. Had hoped for a "happily ever after" ending for Ted and Tracy.
post #1149 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Liked: 12
what was the deal with the blue french horn again?
post #1150 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
for those that don't remember -the real name of the stripper in season 1 was Tracy
post #1151 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

So I guess you actually missed the scene of Ted finally meeting the mother? They did a whole big thing about the initials on the umbrella. She said her name during that scene., Tracy McConnell. The same initials as Ted Mosby.

Nah - I remembered the "initials" scene later when I trying to fall asleep in bed... it had just slipped my mind when I posted that... but I didn't remember what her TM name was... thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1152 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm also disappointed in the finale, the Mother (Tracy) didn't even got a funeral, how sad...

Well at least Robin looks exactly the same in 2030, while Ted they gray haired him...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1153 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

what was the deal with the blue french horn again?

Ted stole it from a restaurant in season one as a crazy display of affection for Robin.

He later returned it and stole it again if I remember correctly. So this will be the third time (?) the show has played that card.

post #1154 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

You're in luck.
Saw that promo last summer, Tighr; wasn't what I was talking about.

What actually happened -- the footage shot in 2006 -- wasn't what I expected either.  So Max was the great love of Tracy's life and by 2024 they'll be together in the afterlife, while Robin is the great love of Ted's life, and Barney's purpose was to steer the infertile, non-maternal Robin away from Ted long enough for Ted and Tracy (romantically widowed and doomed to a short life) to reproduce?  After all, Robin and Barney met the night of Max's death.

(Tracy's wedding attendants included nobody from her own life and were also missing Ted's sister.)

Guess I'll comment more later.

post #1155 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

They did a whole big thing about the initials on the umbrella. She said her name during that scene., Tracy McConnell. The same initials as Ted Mosby.
The unanswered question is in whose handwriting the initials were scratched.
post #1156 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I feel kinda indifferent about the finale. We knew she was gonna die, and it wasn't much of a surprise with the Robin thing. I guess

My wife made the comment about how it took the whole season for a 3 day wedding weekend, but then we zipped through 30 years in 30 minutes eek.gif

------

post #1157 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Saw that promo last summer, Tighr; wasn't what I was talking about.

Sure, but its as good as you're gonna get.

They ended the show the way they wanted to end the show. Is everyone happy? Probably not. I think the decision to spread out the final season as a single weekend was a bad one. If they wanted to do something unique, they should have made each episode a year.

The way I would have done it:

S09E01 (May 2013) - Robin/Barney Wedding,
S09E02 (still 2013) - meet Tracy at the end of the episode
S09E03 (2013) - First year dating the love of his life, Lily Marshall move to Rome, etc
S09E04 (2014) - Anniversary at the hotel, Lily Marshall move back to New York
S09E05 (2015) - Engagement, Penny, Star Wars, start to see problems for Barney

...etc. After a full season of spending time seeing Ted and Tracy in love, the central conflict for the season comes from the gang losing contact and spreading apart, but still trying to reconnect at least once a year. We gradually would get to see Barney and Robin drift apart, maybe not in three years/episodes, but maybe by November Sweeps. We get hints along the way that Tracy has a health problem, and then the climax of the show comes in episode 14 when she finally passes away. The next six episodes of the season show Ted growing sad but realizing that he was lucky to have spent 11 years with the love of his life, him finally coming around, growing as a person, and in the second to last episode of the series (S09E20 - 2030) decides to sit down and tell his kids the story of how he met their mother, but to do so he has to start at the beginning, then they realize he still loves Robin after all, then the final (hour long) episode is your typical sitcom finale with everyone hugging and crying and whatever. 22 episodes covering 17 years.
psgcdn likes this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1158 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I was scratching my head in the whole Ted marries Tracy several years later, because there's no such thing as a pregnant woman getting married, or marrying after the baby is born, or after the second baby, they had to wait all those years?

post #1159 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way I would have done it:

S09E01 (May 2013) - Robin/Barney Wedding,
S09E02 (still 2013) - meet Tracy at the end of the episode
S09E03 (2013) - First year dating the love of his life, Lily Marshall move to Rome, etc
S09E04 (2014) - Anniversary at the hotel, Lily Marshall move back to New York
S09E05 (2015) - Engagement, Penny, Star Wars, start to see problems for Barney

...etc.
Agreed so far, but you and I diverge here:
Quote:
then the climax of the show comes in episode 14 when she finally passes away.
That would be too soon, because except for the hardest-core fans, it would be difficult to sustain viewers’ interest for the remainder of the season.

James and Tom had a better how-we-met story for their kids (told in "Gary Blauman" two weeks ago): "It was at a party."
post #1160 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

That would be too soon, because except for the hardest-core fans, it would be difficult to sustain viewers’ interest for the remainder of the season.

The reason I disagree is because as viewers, finding out the Tracy dies is going to be a shock, and the criticism with the episode we got is that Ted literally goes from his wife dying to hooking back up with Robin. We don't feel the six years of acceptance, because we don't get to experience any of it. There needs to be a reason Ted wants to get back with Robin, we need to see him coming to that realization.

Considering this show had no way to end other than Ted ending up with Robin (the pre-filmed kids), they would have to continue to heavily hint at that throughout the season. Also, the show makes liberal use of flashbacks, so we would continue to spend time with Ted and the Mother and the rest of the gang throughout those final six episodes, as Ted reminisces about the good times with Tracy. Most likely focusing on the current year (so, 2013-2014 would have been the major focus of the whole season, but each episode takes us a year further into the future).
psgcdn likes this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1161 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I was scratching my head in the whole Ted marries Tracy several years later, because there's no such thing as a pregnant woman getting married, or marrying after the baby is born, or after the second baby, they had to wait all those years?

Maybe they were happy where they were in life with what they had.

**As someone who just got married to a gal I'd been with for 8 years, I can relate wink.gifbiggrin.gif

------

post #1162 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

8 years after the proposal? that's almost the time Ted and Tracy waited, little laugh there at the "what, the same ring?"

post #1163 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Naw not after the proposal. I thought that line was funny too smile.gif

------

post #1164 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I disagree is because as viewers, finding out the Tracy dies is going to be a shock, and the criticism with the episode we got is that Ted literally goes from his wife dying to hooking back up with Robin. We don't feel the six years of acceptance, because we don't get to experience any of it. There needs to be a reason Ted wants to get back with Robin, we need to see him coming to that realization.
Simple compromise: Tracy dies in the second-to-last episode, which also has heavy promotion that there is only the series finale left, and those developments you listed occur in the rest of that episode and in the finale.  That would keep very few viewers who are already watching from returning for the last episode.
post #1165 of 1167 Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As Alan Sepinwall and many others pointed out, the simple solution was to end at the platform and not drag the audience back to Robin at all.

Just because they filmed the kids doesn't mean they had to show it. Cutting room floors and DVDs are full of endings that got scrapped. That scene was shot without taking into account the years of repetition the Ted and Robin relationship inflicted on the audience, an entire season devoted to her and the chemistry and casting of Tracy. All things that should have made Carter and Thomas reevaluate as they went along.

They even made the point to say that Milioti had amazing chemistry with Radnor but still threw her under the bus so they could end on one scene shot seven/eight(?) years earlier.

Quote:
They had plenty of opportunity over the years to course correct. They could have at some point accepted that the Robin/Barney coupling made Future Ted/Future Robin not only moot, but annoying. They could have introduced the Mother sooner and just made her a part of the gang — and every single moment this season in which Milioti was allowed to interact with the regulars (either in Farhampton or in the flashforwards) suggested that they could have pulled it off, easily. Hell, even at this late hour, they could have recognized what they had in Milioti and accepted that that old bit of footage with Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie would remain unseen forever (or, at worst, be a special feature to lure people into buying the complete series box set), and that the fans would get over not seeing the kids react to the end of this endless story.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/series-finale-review-how-i-met-your-mother-last-forever-how-they-conned-us-all#sC8Qg48LYyZjk5T6.99

post #1166 of 1167 Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The Show's Title Was a "Fake-Out"
Quote:
Josh Radnor was one of the few people who knew how How I Met Your Mother would end from the very beginning. "They had mentioned to me the twist about the mother in the first season, and I kind of put it out of my head," said the TV star, whose character, Ted, ended the series by asking out Cobie Smudlers ' character, Robin, several years after the death of his first wife, Tracy, played by Cristin Milioti.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20140402/b527547/?cid=hero_media

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1167 of 1167 Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One of the most telling quotes from that interview with Vulture is "I didn't know if they would actually want to come back to it and do that, especially after Cristin, because she was so wonderful and the fans seemed to really take to her. So I asked them, 'Are you guys still doing that?' And they said yeah."

So even Radnor knew they had something special with the Tracy character and sounded kind of baffled that they would still go ahead with their eight year old plan despite the fans and chemistry between himself and Milioti.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page