post #61 of 71 Old 03-16-2006, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper
You might not notice all that much with a 50inch hd. Once you make the jump to 65+ you start to notice how lame D* is.
Then you put a DVD in say how awsome the picture is? LOL :cool:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 03-16-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker
Then you put a DVD in say how awsome the picture is? LOL :cool:
In fast moving scenes it's not uncommon that the DVD will look better than HD from DirecTV.... At least for that scene when the HDLite turns to complete mush and the DVD still has a DVD quality picture.
post #63 of 71 Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

All I can say is over the last few weeks the pq went from bad to worse. I am not impressed with hd on D* at all like I used to be. The pq just looks clear but it doesn't have the 3d look it once had. I wonder if the addition of TNT made things worse?
post #64 of 71 Old 03-16-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esosresik
Is anyone except 'maybe' FIOS broadcasting 19.3 mbps?
Sure, lots of it.

Detroit has two full bandwidth DTV stations. Dish network has a number of full bandwidth HD channels. Comcast passes all HD with full bandwidth. Etcetera.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #65 of 71 Old 04-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Hi, just looking for some clarification on the HD quality on Dish Network.

After reading this thread, I came to understand that while DirecTV has reduced the resolution to HD-Lite on most of its channels, and Comcast land-cable has not done this much at all, Dish has done it in small amounts. Is that correct?

Is it just on Voom and TNT that you see the resolution drop? If so, its not such a big deal for me because I am primarily interested in the other channels. But Picture Quality matters to me a great deal.

Just for a reference on what I consider "low quality": The over-compressed local SD channels on Dish.

One of my main reasons for looking at Dish is their HD DVR. It is the only one, besides Tivo, that can use the "Key-Word search and auto-record" feature. A huge educational tool that is under used and under appreciated in my opinion.

So what say you?

Thanks in advance.

-Christopher Johnson (who owns a Sony KD-34XBR960 and only has OTA right now)
post #66 of 71 Old 04-02-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophersj
So what say you?

Thanks in advance.

-Christopher Johnson (who owns a Sony KD-34XBR960 and only has OTA right now)
If you can live with E*'s somewhat buggy hardware and the sometimes bizarre behavior of their CEO, it should be a no brainer for someone in your current position. (Check back in 18 months when D* finishes their fleet expansion.)

PS: Remember current performance is no guarentee of future performance :)

PPS: I'm a D* sub (for historical reasons)
post #67 of 71 Old 04-02-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks, I went over to dbstalk.com and lurked in the Dish vip622 support forum. And even after considering that a forum like this would attract more people with problems than with not, the problems seem overwhelming and more than common. Even after last night's update. So, regretfully, I may have to pass on Dish.

By the way, why do people use strange abbreviations for company names here at AVS?

-Christopher
post #68 of 71 Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the current HDTV consumers have access to is HD-Lite after you see an uncompressed source in action (i.e. XBox 360). Even the best 18mb/s streams exhibit flaws noticible to the trained eye. I'm hoping going from broadcast HDTV to HD-DVD/Blu-ray will show a similar quality increase as from SDTV to DVD.
post #69 of 71 Old 04-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV
All of the current HDTV consumers have access to is HD-Lite after you see an uncompressed source in action (i.e. XBox 360). Even the best 18mb/s streams exhibit flaws noticible to the trained eye. I'm hoping going from broadcast HDTV to HD-DVD/Blu-ray will show a similar quality increase as from SDTV to DVD.
Still, it's usefull to confine the definition to broadcast quality to emphasize that there are nevertheless substantial picture quality differences between the providers.

(I.e., get Dish or cable, unless one really wants a channel Direct has exclusively...)
post #70 of 71 Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV
HD-Lite in this forum has referred to the degradation caused by the service providers compared to what a station provides. 19.3 Mb for MPEG2 is the consumer gold standard at the moment. Of course that isn't going to look as good as 1.5 Gb 4:2:2 uncompressed. Using uncompressed as a standard, I suppose HDCAM could be considered HD-Lite. 4:2:2 is HD Lite compared to 4:4:4.
post #71 of 71 Old 04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophersj
By the way, why do people use strange abbreviations for company names here at AVS?
In the beginning there was "PrimeStar" = P*, then came "EchoStar" (aka DishNetwork) = E*, then there was DirecTV ... abbreviated D* for continuity and not to be confused with DTV (= digital TV)
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page