Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

http://www.tvpredictions.com/timemhd121106.htm

Time Warner to Add MHD
The high-def music channel comes from MTV Networks.
By Phillip Swann
Washington, D.C. (December 11, 2006) -- Time Warner has announced that it's adding MHD, the High-Definition TV channel from MTV.

The launch is part of a new carriage agreement between the cable operator and the Viacom-owned MTV Networks.

MHD, a 24-hour HDTV channel, features music videos and concerts in high-def. The channel, which debuted last January, is available on some cable systems including Comcast and Cox. But the addition of Time Warner is a big boost for the new network.

"This agreement reflects the resonance our highly targeted multi-platform brands have with the devoted niche audiences they serve," said Nicole Browning, President, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, MTV Networks and BET.

"Our agreement with MTVN...permit us to offer customers additional, diverse programming choices and align channel line-ups, especially among those systems we recently acquired from Adelphia and Comcast," said Fred Dressler, TW's executive vice president for programming.

MHD is not available on DIRECTV or EchoStar's Dish Network

TWC can save the bandwidth on this one as far as I am concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Is this supposed to be the replacement for InHD2? Can't say I'm particularly excited to see the MTV music lineup in HD. That's assuming it ever reaches this area.

Anyone else been wanting this channel?

post #633 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

my email:
"Hello, I'm eagerly awaiting any new HD channels. I was just wondering if an agreement was made allowing TWC to carry HGTV-HD & FOOD-HD, and if not is an agreement expected soon?"

thank you, Andy

response:
"Thanks for your question about our HD services. We currently are in discussions with Time Warner and am hopeful we will reach an agreement to carry the services. The best way to help insure that you will be able to see them is to call your system and let them know. In fact, the more they hear from their customers the more motivated they become."
Thanks for your interest in our networks and for being a terrific fan.

John

Oh my God! They can save the bandwidth on these, too as far as I am concerned. Bandwidth is precious and this is what television comes up with.
post #634 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

Oh my God! They can save the bandwidth on these, too as far as I am concerned. Bandwidth is precious and this is what television comes up with.

So you're not into music, home repair, cooking and eatingjust curious... what channel are you waiting for?

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #635 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

So you're not into music, home repair, cooking and eatingjust curious... what channel are you waiting for?

Does it matter?

That's why restaurants have menus.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #636 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

That's why restaurants have menus.

Whatever that means.

I was just curious as to what other HD channels are out there that I'm not aware of but Stan54 is. That's all.

Larry

I thought we were

post #637 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

I would love to insure against time warner not getting any more HD channels, but what insurer would take on that risk?
post #638 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Whatever that means.

I was just curious as to what other HD channels are out there that I'm not aware of but Stan54 is. That's all.

That we do not have yet (at least here in Columbus, Ohio)? How about Starz, Cinemax, TMC, ESPN 2, and NFL Network in HD? Also, how about Starz On Demand? I'd rather save the room for these.
post #639 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

That we do not have yet (at least here in Columbus, Ohio)? How about Starz, Cinemax, TMC, ESPN 2, and NFL Network in HD? Also, how about Starz On Demand? I'd rather save the room for these.

A number of markets now have Starz and Cinemax.

and not gonna get nfl network HD without the normal nfl network.....
post #640 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

A number of markets now have Starz and Cinemax.

the number being a figure you can count on one hand. I expect MTV HD will join them in being invisible to the majority of markets. I certainly won't be expecting it here. It's been at least a year since they added something new to the HD lineup and that was just UHD.

post #641 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

That does stink.
We were lucky enough to have Starz and Cinemax added recently here in the NY market. Hope they get it to your market soon.

Larry

I thought we were

post #642 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
According to a poster in Columbia, SC:

"I saw a banner running on the bottom of the weather channel this morning saying that time warner cable will be adding MHD, A&EHD and TVone to the lineup before the 31st of Dec."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...87#post9118487

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!

post #643 of 9396 Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Time Warner SC should adopt the Vegas marketing slogan ...

"What happens in Time Warner South Carolina, stays in Time Warner South Carolina."

post #644 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 AM

Will there ever be a Sci Fi HD channel?
post #645 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I seriously doubt MHD will be a "replacement" for the dropped InHD2... InHD2 was part of a pay tier. My guess is that MHD is going to be a "free" channel (we have 2 "collections" here, an intro package and a value package; the value package has everything, the intro package less so; MHD MAY be in the value but not the intro package). In any case that's great news.

PLUS A&E, wow! As for the marketing, we found out about the addition of Starz & Cinemax from someone posting about catching a crawl on the Weather channel, so that looks like that method could be accurate. Nice explosion of HD goodness!

FYI, my complaint to DOITT (the licensing agency who grants TWC-NY the right to operate) about them dropping 20% of a pay tier got a phone call from their public affairs group. FWIW, they ARE aware they "owe" us a replacement, no they won't drop the rates but they DO have every intention to replace the channel. They can't say with what, but they were emphatic that something would be in it's place. I asked about why didn't they say the same thing when they announced it was being dropped, they said they felt it would generate tons and tons of calls from folks asking what channel would be added!

Boy would I jump for a SciFi HD channel. Before we can even think about that, SciFi needs to start the ball rolling. Like a lot of other channels, it would start with very little actual HD (look at A&E HD, we haven't even seen it in my market and already legions are complaining it has too little HD content!). However, I sure as hell DO see BSG being run on UnHD in HD. It's about 5-6 episodes behind the first run broadcasts. SciFi & UnHD are NBC owned, so there's a good connection there. Only a guess, but other shows COULD follow a similar path. I sure hope so.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #646 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 AM

At least the majority of you can actually get HD. I live in Uniontown, Pa. 'bout 45 mi. south of Pittsburgh and 20 mi. north of Morgantown, WV. We use to have Charter but was switched to Atlanticbb.net. I inquired about HD programing being available, they stated they had no firm date!!!! I get the premium tier HBO(4) Cinemax(3) TMC, Starz, Action, etc.,etc. Pay $150 +or- a few bucks a mo. That includes my HS internet connection, 3000/256. What really gripes me is 12 mi. down the road a town of 700/1000 gets HD on Adelphia. There seems to be a lot of knocks on Sat. because of compression issues of the HD, but to my thinking now, at least it is HD and is available including my local CBS-ABC-NBC &Fox. So here I sit with my just purchased Sam. HL-S7178 and no HD programing. I ordered the Toshiba HD DVD player last Fri. and got my grandson a PS3, so I'm covered that way(HD-DVD/Blu-Ray DVD0) but am seriously contemplating going Sat. and switching my internet to Verizon DSL (3mb/756) for 30, because if I drop my cable my "special" pricing fo the cable internet will go up to 38.99. Now to read, read and re read the forums on the Sat's to try and decide what one to go with should I decide.
post #647 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use audio products for music. The channel I am waiting for (HD) CBS, FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC, TNT (real HD), Comedy, FX, USA, SCI FI and National Geographic.
post #648 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

NFL Network Offers Cablers Free Preview

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/12/2006 5:08:00 PM

In the latest chess move in the ongoing standoff between the National Football League and cable companies, the NFL Network is offering a free preview to Time Warner and Cablevision in the New York and New Jersey area in late December.

The free preview features the cable network's exclusive coverage of a post-season college football game featuring New Jersey's Rutgers University. No live NFL telecasts are included in the proposed free preview.

"We just received the offer and we are looking into it," a Time Warner spokesperson said Tuesday afternoon. A Cablevision spokesperson had not yet returned a call seeking comment at press time.

The network is offering the two cablers a free license to carry both the standard- and high-definition feeds of the network between 6 a.m. on Dec. 24 and 8 pm on Dec. 30.

Rutgers plays Kansas State University in the Texas Bowl post-season game on December 28. While local fans of NFL teams playing in NFL Network-televised games can see the game on an over-the-air station, that is not the case for NCAA football.

http://broadcastingcable.com/article...=Breaking+News

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #649 of 9396 Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=VisionOn]Is this supposed to be the replacement for InHD2? Can't say I'm particularly excited to see the MTV music lineup in HD. That's assuming it ever reaches this area.

I don't know about anywhere else but in the Southern Tier of NY, Corning & Elimra area InHD2 is being replaced by Universal HD. Now if they would play catch up and really add some HD would be nice. Personally I am thinking about going back to Directv even if it cost me $60per month extra.

Bill G
post #650 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 05:13 AM

There is a rumor going around that my local cable provider, Albany Time Warner, is adding MTV-HD to their channel line-up. I'm "so glad" to see their allocation of precious bandwidth to such exceptional programming.

With service like that... I'll gladly accept another increase in my cable TV rates.
post #651 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, there was an announcement that TWC and Viacom signed a carriage deal including MHD. That does not automatically mean any specific area gets it, it only means that a business deal is signed. My guess is that it might be a bit erratic in roll-out, meaning over the course of several months it rolls out.

We DO have at least one "sighting" of a weather channel crawl about adding A&E HD to the NYC area. We know the 11/1 additions to NYC were first "announced" on a weather channel crawl.

Ah Corning, my college sweeties came from there! Bill, do you get InHD without subscribing to a pay tier? Here, that channel is part of a pay tier, but UnHD is part of the basic package (sort of free, meaning you don't pay extra). It is a worthwhile channel, there's an eclectic mix of HD versions of some TV shows and movies. It's among the very few channels that everything is in HD.

post #652 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh boy is this ever getting interesting. I love 2 fat cat titans fight in public (NFL vs. TWC). While I'm a big football fan, generally it's my local teams I follow. Very few out of market games hold my interest, so there sure are other channels I'd prefer to NFL Network. This "free" deal is great, heaven knows Rutgers fans deserve not to be shut out. AND it puts 100% of the onus on TWC.

TWC's wishy-washy statement was a way dumb thing to do. A lot of folks would REALLY get incensed if they refused. I'm not big Rutgers fan, but I would get pissed. TWC should have instantly announced they were going with the offer... I'd love to know their thinking about what they DID say.

post #653 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Boy...i'd be annoyed if they added MHD before HDNet Movies here in Dallas. Bandwidth is at a premium out here and no one knows when, if ever, it will improve.
post #654 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
According to my Time Warner bill here in Houston, INHD2 goes off the air on 12/15 with no replacement.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #655 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

We DO have at least one "sighting" of a weather channel crawl about adding A&E HD to the NYC area. We know the 11/1 additions to NYC were first "announced" on a weather channel crawl.

No we don't have any sightings Riverside_Guy.

that was the South Carolina guy.......
post #656 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

According to my Time Warner bill here in Houston, INHD2 goes off the air on 12/15 with no replacement.

Same here in Winston-Salem, NC. I called and was told by a "manager" that my HD Pack would still be $6.95/mo. for the 3 remaining channels.

DirecTV installer is coming sometime today by 5. Time to unsubscribe to this forum, see 'yall!
post #657 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

Don't we pay extra for the HD Premium Tier? Instead of raising rates Time Warner is dropping channels to increase profitability. Nice!

Verizon FiOS TV is coming soon
post #658 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Ah Corning, my college sweeties came from there! Bill, do you get InHD without subscribing to a pay tier? Here, that channel is part of a pay tier, but UnHD is part of the basic package (sort of free, meaning you don't pay extra). It is a worthwhile channel, there's an eclectic mix of HD versions of some TV shows and movies. It's among the very few channels that everything is in HD.[/quote]

InHD and well as InHD are part of the HD Tier. I don't know how much it cost as I have Digital Phone, Road Runner, and Digital cable package. I don't watch InHD2 but am looking forward to Universal.

Did you keep any of your sweeties or send them home?

Bill G
post #659 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Don't we pay extra for the HD Premium Tier? Instead of raising rates Time Warner is dropping channels to increase profitability. Nice!

Verizon FiOS TV is coming soon

Call TW customer service and gripe about something (not too difficult), then ask for the goodwill promotion of HD VIP PAK free for 6 months...
post #660 of 9396 Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Time Warner southwest Ohio is in denial. CSR assured me that INHD2 would be here past Jan. 1st. She even spoke with her supervisor. So much for complying with the law and informing customers 30 days before removing a channel.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page